PDA

View Full Version : Will our offense ever wake up?

NW Steeler
12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
The last two weeks I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but our defense keeps us in it and allows our offense to "win" the game. Thrilling to watch, but bad for my heart! If our defense has an off day, can our offense pull us out? I know we've played some great defenses lately, but we've also struggled against some mediocre (NE) and crappy (SD) ones too. It's getting awfully late in the season for us to finally "gel" on offense, so I guess this is what we can expect for as far as we go in the playoffs?

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 08:45 PM
The last two weeks I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but our defense keeps us in it and allows our offense to "win" the game. Thrilling to watch, but bad for my heart! If our defense has an off day, can our offense pull us out? I know we've played some great defenses lately, but we've also struggled against some mediocre (NE) and crappy (SD) ones too. It's getting awfully late in the season for us to finally "gel" on offense, so I guess this is what we can expect for as far as we go in the playoffs?
Why would our offense change?
To paraphrase Tomlin: ""Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five offensive titles. The issue is winning."
8)

NW Steeler
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't want it to change, I just want it to score more than 1 touchdown a game. You are right, it's all about the WIN, but part of my question was "what if" the defense falters and it NEEDS the O to score some points.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Every week I sit down and think this is the week that our offense puts it together - and every week I'm having a heart attack with 1 minute to go in the 4th quarter.

I actually think the O is making definite improvements over the last 4-6 weeks: Ben is playing MUCH smarter re: taking care of the football; he's also seems to have taken a smart pill in terms of check downs for the 2nd or 3rd receiver ... early in the season I don't recall his doing that much at all.

Play calling seems to be getting better too, in terms of matching up with our strengths and avoiding our weaknesses. I think I've noticed less runs up the middle for -1 yards, and more quick hits to a slant receiver, and the like. A few more roll outs would be nice too, maybe they're keeping them in their pocket until the playoffs.

I guess we'll never be a play action team, since we can't run. But, if we open up the passing game with this "west coast offense" kind of thing, that may open it up ... and then we can do play action.

So really, and not surprisingly, it all comes down to Ben. Play smart, play Marcia Brady ball (take what the defense gives you), if Washington and Holmes (and sometimes Hines) don't drop a bunch - look out NFL.

Headlines next week: Titans Slaughtered by Steelers!

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 08:52 PM
.... my question was "what if" the defense falters and it NEEDS the O to score some points.
We'll probably lose. Other than the Browns, we will be playing quality teams until the end of the playoffs. If our D gives up more than 17 points, there is a very good chance we will lose...IMHO. 8)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":jmiib568].... my question was "what if" the defense falters and it NEEDS the O to score some points.
We'll probably lose. Other than the Browns, we will be playing quality teams until the end of the playoffs. If our D gives up more than 17 points, there is a very good chance we will lose...IMHO. 8)[/quote:jmiib568]

Not if we can pull it together ... I get the feeling we might be doing just that. But it's just a feeling, we'll see starting next Sunday ...

NW Steeler
12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":3o78pb7k].... my question was "what if" the defense falters and it NEEDS the O to score some points.
We'll probably lose. Other than the Browns, we will be playing quality teams until the end of the playoffs. If our D gives up more than 17 points, there is a very good chance we will lose...IMHO. 8)

Not if we can pull it together ... I get the feeling we might be doing just that. But it's just a feeling, we'll see starting next Sunday ...[/quote:3o78pb7k]

That's what I've been thinking every week too. It just seems at this point that this is what were gonna get. I love your optimism though!

pittpete
12-15-2008, 09:09 PM
There is no flow to our offense
It feels like we have a bunch of scatterbrains pulling plays out thier @ss.
Of course we are 11-3, but our defense has played like no defense Ive ever seen before.
If Ed Reed runs that fumble in for a TD, we lose bottom line.
It seems like Arians is trying to fool people but the only pperson he is fooling is himself.
We waited till the end of the game to run any crossing patterns.
If something works, we do not and I repeat "DO NOT" go back to it in the Bruce Arian offense.
If Willie gets hit 5 times behind the line on handoffs though he is sure to keep calling it.
Our offense can not run a screen nor execute a draw play without error.
Bruce is a sad coordinator and remember the lead the Browns had against us in the playoffs that he friggin blew.
This guy is a sad sack of crap.
There is a reason why we are 21st in points scored and 24th in total yards per game.
Cant blame it all on the O-line and Ben.
Please tell me Bruce is saving his best for the playoffs, please :?

costanza2k1
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately what we see in front of us is what we're going to get. The drops and catches, the loss for yards and the gains, the game winning TD and the sacks. Unfortunately this is our version of Steeler football for this season. Not a single person out there can pin it on one thing that's wrong. It's a combination of the thing IMO. The beauty of this is we're witnessing one the best defenses in the history of the game. A defense so good that Tomlin may start walking by 6 Lombardis instead of the 5 he sees daily. The offseason and what he does with his staff and personnel maybe just as exciting/heartbreaking at times as our season.

Enjoy the moment. Hopefully it will be one we can tell our kids/grand kids/pets about in time to come.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":389h7raw]The last two weeks I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but our defense keeps us in it and allows our offense to "win" the game. Thrilling to watch, but bad for my heart! If our defense has an off day, can our offense pull us out? I know we've played some great defenses lately, but we've also struggled against some mediocre (NE) and crappy (SD) ones too. It's getting awfully late in the season for us to finally "gel" on offense, so I guess this is what we can expect for as far as we go in the playoffs?
To paraphrase Tomlin: ""Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five offensive titles. The issue is winning."
8)[/quote:389h7raw]
because one day, it's going to cost us a game. we cannot expect a unit to be perfect... that's what it takes from the defense. in the last 2 games, we've GIVEN away points offensively by turning it over already in FG range (see: holmes fumble). one of these days, that's going to be a TD and not a FG. Against Dallas, I think we did it twice.

NW Steeler
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":221gqc6b]The last two weeks I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but our defense keeps us in it and allows our offense to "win" the game. Thrilling to watch, but bad for my heart! If our defense has an off day, can our offense pull us out? I know we've played some great defenses lately, but we've also struggled against some mediocre (NE) and crappy (SD) ones too. It's getting awfully late in the season for us to finally "gel" on offense, so I guess this is what we can expect for as far as we go in the playoffs?
8)
because one day, it's going to cost us a game. we cannot expect a unit to be perfect... that's what it takes from the defense. in the last 2 games, we've GIVEN away points offensively by turning it over already in FG range (see: holmes fumble). one of these days, that's going to be a TD and not a FG. Against Dallas, I think we did it twice.[/quote:221gqc6b]

That's been my fear as well. I just don't want it to happen in the playoffs! Maybe Tomlin will finally put his hands on the offensive calls a bit....

feltdizz
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
It depends on the refs and the WR's...
1) if the refs keep calling bogus holding calls then our O will look the same.
2) if the WR's keep dropping passes we will eventually lose.

now I think the refs will be more consistent in the playoffs..at least I hope.. cause right now the holding calls are so random it's ridiculous.

Jooser
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I feel sorry for the rest of the league if it ever does wake up. And by the way PittPete, is that Haiku your trying to write there? LOL :lol:

flippy
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
4 weeks and we roll

fordfixer
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
with 6 min to go in the 4th quarter :tt1

steelnavy
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Not making any excuses for BA (because he does suck), but the Steelers have played a LOT of top defenses. Our defense held a Ravens offense that was tops in the league for the past several weeks to almost nothing in yardage and points. Shouldnt we expect the #2 defense to do the same to our average/below average offense? And look at Dallas right now. Their defense just crushed the Giants.

If the Steelers cannot score points on Cleveland in two weeks, then its really time to worry.

BTW, I really like this board a lot. I almost NEVER posted on the Trib, but the vibe of this place is so much better. Guess maybe I was always afraid of getting torn apart by all of the neighborhood bullies for saying anything. It just wasn't worth it. Kudos to the mods here.

NW Steeler
12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Not making any excuses for BA (because he does suck), but the Steelers have played a LOT of top defenses. Our defense held a Ravens offense that was tops in the league for the past several weeks to almost nothing in yardage and points. Shouldnt we expect the #2 defense to do the same to our average/below average offense? And look at Dallas right now. Their defense just crushed the Giants.

If the Steelers cannot score points on Cleveland in two weeks, then its really time to worry.

BTW, I really like this board a lot. I almost NEVER posted on the Trib, but the vibe of this place is so much better. Guess maybe I was always afraid of getting torn apart by all of the neighborhood bullies for saying anything. It just wasn't worth it. Kudos to the mods here.

I also rarely posted at the trib. I think maybe 150 posts over 4-5 years. There was definitely a little "clique" over there and if you weren't part of it you were either ignored or insulted. I'm glad that I finally found this site.

MeetJoeGreene
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":7db0smx4]The last two weeks I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but our defense keeps us in it and allows our offense to "win" the game. Thrilling to watch, but bad for my heart! If our defense has an off day, can our offense pull us out? I know we've played some great defenses lately, but we've also struggled against some mediocre (NE) and crappy (SD) ones too. It's getting awfully late in the season for us to finally "gel" on offense, so I guess this is what we can expect for as far as we go in the playoffs?
8)
because one day, it's going to cost us a game. we cannot expect a unit to be perfect... that's what it takes from the defense. in the last 2 games, we've GIVEN away points offensively by turning it over already in FG range (see: holmes fumble). one of these days, that's going to be a TD and not a FG. Against Dallas, I think we did it twice.[/quote:7db0smx4]

It has already -- see Indy. We lost that game because their 2 TDs were short fields off of turnovers.

That being said, I really think the last game against Baltimore Ben looked better and most of the blame was receivers dropping passes. And Arians.

flippy
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM

I also rarely posted at the trib. I think maybe 150 posts over 4-5 years. There was definitely a little "clique" over there and if you weren't part of it you were either ignored or insulted. I'm glad that I finally found this site.

this is a pretty friendly board.

i like new posters and new perspectives and hope we find more of you.

pirogi pete
12-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Guys, why is it that when the Steelers win, whether it's by a large score or tight score, does it even matter how many points they scored????

Name a team in the NFL right now that's a lock-cinch to throw up 28 points a game?

The ONLY way this defense is going to go flat is if injuries take down at least 3 guys. And that's not going to happen.

Also, for those wondering about the Steelers not scoring points, do you realize how teams have to game plan against the DEFENSE? No team can come in and start throwing the ball all over the place. No team can come in and run all over the place. Perfect evidence is what the top teams resorted to when they played the Steelers. They had to be conservative to win. This means the Steeler offense doesn't have to put up tons of points to win. Just play within themselves and DON'T turn the ball over.

Lastly, it is what it is, guys. The Steelers aren't flashy. They don't have, at least at this point, a dominant O-line. But, and this is a big but, they play with great resolve. The defense will keep them in the game. AND.............they're winning! How bad is it?

NW Steeler
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Guys, why is it that when the Steelers win, whether it's by a large score or tight score, does it even matter how many points they scored????

Name a team in the NFL right now that's a lock-cinch to throw up 28 points a game?

The ONLY way this defense is going to go flat is if injuries take down at least 3 guys. And that's not going to happen.

Also, for those wondering about the Steelers not scoring points, do you realize how teams have to game plan against the DEFENSE? No team can come in and start throwing the ball all over the place. No team can come in and run all over the place. Perfect evidence is what the top teams resorted to when they played the Steelers. They had to be conservative to win. This means the Steeler offense doesn't have to put up tons of points to win. Just play within themselves and DON'T turn the ball over.

Lastly, it is what it is, guys. The Steelers aren't flashy. They don't have, at least at this point, a dominant O-line. But, and this is a big but, they play with great resolve. The defense will keep them in the game. AND.............they're winning! How bad is it?

You are exactly right. We are winning and that is all that really matters. But wouldn't you feel a little more confident if the offense could get us up by 10 points so we don't have to hold our breath for 3 hours? The way our offense is performing, there is little to NO error of margin for the defense. You can't tell me that you haven't watched them over the past two weeks and thought that there is no way that we have enough offense to take us all the way to the SB, unless the defense plays light out. It looks like we are going to lose for 3 plus quarters, then we pull off the win. That doesn't mean we don't have some warts. I guess I want it all, a good offense and a GREAT defense. But in the end, you are right. As long as we win, who cares?!!

pirogi pete
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
[quote="pirogi pete":2k63gkzf]Guys, why is it that when the Steelers win, whether it's by a large score or tight score, does it even matter how many points they scored????

You are exactly right. We are winning and that is all that really matters. But wouldn't you feel a little more confident if the offense could get us up by 10 points so we don't have to hold our breath for 3 hours? The way our offense is performing, there is little to NO error of margin for the defense. You can't tell me that you haven't watched them over the past two weeks and thought that there is no way that we have enough offense to take us all the way to the SB, unless the defense plays light out. It looks like we are going to lose for 3 plus quarters, then we pull off the win. That doesn't mean we don't have some warts. I guess I want it all, a good offense and a GREAT defense. But in the end, you are right. As long as we win, who cares?!![/quote:2k63gkzf]

It would be nice to watch them put teams away early. But this is the NFL. NOBODY goes away easy.

Think of it this way, though..............Think about how the OTHER team is planning to play the Steelers? They can't afford to make mistakes at all, because the Steelers will make them pay for it. So really, it's not just about the Steeler offense not scoring. It's MORE about how the other team will decide to attack the Steeler defense.

Steeler Shades
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Perfect evidence is what the top teams resorted to when they played the Steelers. They had to be conservative to win. This means the Steeler offense doesn't have to put up tons of points to win. Just play within themselves and DON'T turn the ball over.
I respectfully disagree.
Every team that plays us tries to put up as many points as possible. They try to play to their strengths and our weaknesses. If the opposing offenses look conservative to you it is because they just are not being successful against the #1 NFL defense. Of course they know that turning the ball over will hurt their cause. Every team, every year knows that and attempts not to have TOs against any team.

As for the Steelers offense: They are trying to score as many points as they can. It is not because of our defense that they are not scoring. The offense is struggling to put up points DESPITE their best efforts to do so. And just to add icing on the cake they also turned the ball over how many times against the #2 defense?

This offense is struggling and the competition (other than the Browns) isn't going to get any easier through the rest of the season.

TonyRomo
12-17-2008, 01:34 AM

Ask the Giants Offense what they thought of the Dallas Defense. Ask the Eagles
what they thought of the Ravens Defense? Steeler fans are just dumb.

Jooser
12-17-2008, 02:39 AM

Your point is well taken (except Steelers fans aren't dumb, we rule actually) but what the hell happened to our O against SD, they blow.

steelnavy
12-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Your point is well taken (except Steelers fans aren't dumb, we rule actually) but what the hell happened to our O against SD, they blow.

Dude, did you see that game? If the refs didnt flag almost EVERY positive play that the Steelers ran, they would have won by at least two TDs. Not a good example of poor offense. Now against the clowns? Good example!

NW Steeler
12-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Who is DUMB Mr. ROMO? I SAID that we had played some great defenses lately with the exception of San Diego and New England. Learn to read before you throw out insults about someone's intelligence.