PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the flight deck IV (Trib count included)

brothervad
12-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey all,

Just some observations from yesterday...

First the negative (just cause it's small and minor :) )

1.) Can someone explain to me why is it when the great Ray Ray get's touched by Willie Colon on a 10 yard run by FWP it is called holding but when Harrison nearly get's strangled by the TE it is ok? Yes it was in the area where Willie ran, but the strangle on Harrison was just as significant if not moreso. That is total BS and I think it speaks volumes to what sucks about the NFL. Instead of letting the game create the stars, the league protects it's current stars with crap like the above...

2.) Are Receiving Corp Incosistency really hurts the offensive tempo...what I mean by that is Ben had at least 3-4 balls that should have been caught by his WR's. These weren't just insignificant dink and dunk types...they were with either chain movers or putting us in 3rd and short. It really hurts offensive tempo when a team can pin their ears back on a weak offensive line because our QB is found to be in constant 3rd and longs.

3.) I am not labeling Santonio Holmes a bust...but I am dissappointed in his progression to date. He is incosistent at best seems to not have his head in the game sometimes (see drops, fumbles) and I just don't believe he is where he should be for a WR in his 3rd season. I think the whole 1 game suspension thing didn't help him in my eyes as well ( but that is just me I guess). If I had to rank the Receivers (TE's included) on this team it would look the following:

1.) Hines Ward
2.) Heath Miller ( I actually consider Hines/Heath interchangeable 1a/1b)
3.) Nate Washington
4.) Santonio Holmes

Well that is it...now for the positives

1.) Well no need to go into details here, but that Defense is beyond words. Flacco barely had 100 yards passing, and the rushing D while giving 112 total yards was still stingy not giving up a run longer than 10 yards and only allowing a 3.6 YPC clip. I do think Tomlin has had a pronounced effect on the secondary and it is good to see a complete Defense with no holes. Honestly, I haven't seen a D like this in Steeler country in a long time...I really am savoring this year game in and game out.

2.) Ben drives me nuts...I have accepted this and will now embrace it. This guy is will make me scream "THROW THE DAM* BALL!" get sacked on one play and then on the next play will wait, wait, wait hurdle over a guy, do a back flip, throw of his back foot and then score the game winner. The truth is this guy is amazing...so amazing that it gets him in trouble sometimes. But that is what makes him a franchise player.

3.) The offensive line is improving. It is very small sloth-like steps but even I could see yesterday that they are picking up blitzes more often now and are at times providing Ben with time. In fact, a couple times yesterday Ben had more time than he thought and ended up throwing short to his WR's. (Not blaming Ben--hell any other QB would just spike the ball after the snap with that OL earlier in the year :) ). I think they have a ways to go but it seems to be gelling and if that is the case this is the best time to do it.

4.) Hines Ward...the name says it all...guy is fearless comes up big when needed and is by far the most consistent WR in the bunch. Again, I know this waning years of a great career, which is why I am enjoying every last moment of it. I know people say the Steelers could afford to keep both Plex and Hines, but I am not sure that is true...but given the choice of one or the other the Steelers kept the right guy (and I said this before Plex's aim troubled ;) ). I will miss Hines Ward when he hangs his helmet up for the last time.

5.) The schedule has forged a truely championship caliber team. Looking forward to the playoffs I am trying to point to team that would provide the worst matchup for the Steelers. None of them make me uneasy, but the one team I think provides us the most uneasy matchup is the one we just played. Think about it...The Colts the Steelers shot themselves in the foot, The Jets...next please, Pats well we already saw that play out didnt' we? And that was a road game, The Phins? nope, Denver? That may be the one team that are offense would put up 35-42 points on in a home playoff game. Tennessee? Well I think we have seen better on Offense and we can easily stop a 1 dimensional team. Why the Ravens you ask? It's not that they scare me, but we have won two games by a total of 7 points...you know as well as I do that games like that can be effected by any odd bounce or bad call. The Ravens can keep it a one possession game and that is always a danger. Anyway, while I consider all the playoff teams good teams...I think the Steelers have faced it already and are well tested for the playoffs.

A final note (a great debate point)...

If the call is not overturned...what would you do?

Do you try to end it once or for all or do you kick the FG?

Believe me--I would be tempted to end it right then and there and get that team out of my hair, but in the end I would kick the tying FG...why?

Our D for one thing...It isn't entirely out of the possibility we end in a 9-9 tie. That would mean we only need to split if the Ravens sweep, whereas if we lose by not getting the 4 inches (which we have had problems doing against lesser Defenses) we would have to match them win for win.

Even though the offense was limited in that game the one thing Ben showed is he could move the team. The Ravens got most of there points on a short field (field position was horrible in the first quarter for the Steelers, and Holmes fumble) whereas Pittsburgh had to have longer drives to score.

In effect, playing for tie...I would like my team's chances based on the above.

Can't wait for the weekend and Tennessee....

Regards,
brothervad

(btw, I know 500 posts aren't a lot but do I get any credit for Trib posts...or am I still considered a noob? :wink: )

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Go for the TD.
If your offense can't get one inch, then give kudos to the Ratbirds and walk away. What kind of message are you sending to your offense if you pull them out on 4th and an inch with the game, AFCN and a bye week on the line? If they can't gut it up and make an inch.....good riddance. 8)

DukieBoy
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Shades,

You gotta put a name to the face(s) you load onto your posts, dude.

DB

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Shades,

DB
I can't remember all their names. I usually just say "Hey Beotch bring me another beer". 8)

Starlifter
12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
4th and 1 inch with the AFC North Championship on the line and a bye week you go for the win. If you fail you may argue it was the wrong call, but if you're too cowardly to try - you don't deserve to be a champion. good thing we'll never know......... :ratsuck

proudpittsburgher
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Disagree guys. I honestly think Tomlin goes for it, and I think it would be the wrong move. You are going up against one of the best front seven in football, you have shown routinely that you can't convert on third and 1 and fourth and 1 all year. So what makes you think converting one time in a game with playoff implications, but not season-ending implications, is going to boost you in the playoffs? The best thing to do would be to extend the game into overtime. But I really think that Tomlin would have gone or it.

RussBII
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Shades,

DB
I can't remember all their names. I usually just say "Hey Beotch bring me another beer". 8)

The current hottie (in the gold bikini) is Marisa Miller...

Yowza. My only complaint is sometimes the images are huge.

As for what to do? I kick the field goal. We haven't been able to score from the 1 foot line all year.

flippy
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
welcome noob

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Go for the TD.
If your offense can't get one inch, then give kudos to the Ratbirds and walk away. What kind of message are you sending to your offense if you pull them out on 4th and an inch with the game, AFCN and a bye week on the line? If they can't gut it up and make an inch.....good riddance. 8)
i kick the FG...

however, if there were 5 minutes left (i.e., i could get the ball back) i'd go for the TD.

Iron Shiek
12-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Whats up Brother Vad! Good to see you over here.

All your points were very well said. As for the potential 4th down, you are on the road, you gotta go for it. And while I would do a play action pass or screen to Hines, I'm sure the idiot Arians would call that same up the middle run that constantly gets stuffed.

But you gotta go for it.

proudpittsburgher
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Whats up Brother Vad! Good to see you over here.

All your points were very well said. As for the potential 4th down, you are on the road, you gotta go for it. And while I would do a play action pass or screen to Hines, I'm sure the idiot Arians would call that same up the middle run that constantly gets stuffed.

But you gotta go for it.

Play action pass didn't work very well early in the game on third and 1 (int or fumble, either way, it was a mess) and the Ravens can fly to the ball, so I'm not sure if they are man-up on Hines that would work either. If you have an inch to go and no faith in your line to move them 1 inch, then you have to go for the field goal. But, none of us knows what would work or what wouldn't, so it's all speculation, and I'm glad we didn't have to find out. :)

eniparadoxgma
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
welcome noob

Shut it and keep that bench warm for me, n00btastic.

Djfan
12-17-2008, 03:42 AM
You go for the win, but don't let Bruce A call the play, or it's run up the middle for a loss of one yard.