PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Season?

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Other Steeler teams may have had bigger names, more glory and better records, but as someone who has watched the Steelers from the early seventies I am hard pressed to identify a team that has accomplished more. We are sitting at 11-3 with the hardest statsitical schedule in the last 50 years. All this with:

1. A QB who has had a nagging shoulder injury since game 1.
2. Losing both our top RBs
3. Losing members of the DL for multiple games
4. Losing a starting CB for multiple games
5. Losing both the starting RG and LT from the OL for the season.
6. Losing our punter for the season

Since we are in the midst of this I think we may lose perspective of the job this team has done.

Woe to the doubters and haters because these players, the coaches and the front office have done something truely special.

flippy
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Other Steeler teams may have had bigger names, more glory and better records, but as someone who has watched the Steelers from the early seventies I am hard pressed to identify a team that has accomplished more. We are sitting at 11-3 with the hardest statsitical schedule in the last 50 years. All this with:

1. A QB who has had a nagging shoulder injury since game 1.
2. Losing both our top RBs
3. Losing members of the DL for multiple games
4. Losing a starting CB for multiple games
5. Losing both the starting RG and LT from the OL for the season.
6. Losing our punter for the season

Since we are in the midst of this I think we may lose perspective of the job this team has done.

Woe to the doubters and haters because these players, the coaches and the front office have done something truely special.

These all point to the amazing job Tomlin has done.

Usually teams use injuries as excuses. This is truly the first time I remember a team with so many injuries being the same team that sits atop the league as one of its best.

Usually injuries mean you have to wait until next year.

Not with Tomlin.

All 53 players are starters.

If Tomlin doesn't win coach of the year, it will be a shame.

If we don't win the SuperBowl, it will be a shame.

This is on the verge of being our best season ever.

I don't just start SuperBowl or Bust threads for no reason......

mshifko
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
i'd love to get caught up in all that historic stuff, but right now i'm focused on this team reaching the next level...until our work is done, i am not going to talk about our place in history...

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
i'd love to get caught up in all that historic stuff, but right now i'm focused on this team reaching the next level...until our work is done, i am not going to talk about our place in history...

:Agree :Clap

flippy
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM

we're fans.

getting caught up in this is what we do best.

leave the worrying about the work to Tomlin and team.

:tt1

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
its the best steeler team i have ever seen without a doubt. i dont recall any other season having so much going against them with injuries and schedule. every week im saying, they cant win this game yet every week they prove me wrong. the 15-1 season was amazing too, but this defense is definetly better than that one. i really hope they can hold the stains and titans to under 300 yards and become the 2nd team in nfl history to not allow any team 300 yards or more. thats amazing

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM

I agree. Until they win the SB, the job is not done. This team's place in history won't be determined unless they win the SB.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/believe.jpg

The dude holding up the sign is going to start asking for royalties as much as we use this pic around the Planet... :D

Chachi
12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Reflection comes at the end of a season.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Reflection comes at the end of a season.

thats a good point. 2004 was a great regular season and such a dissapointing season overall. i think it would be fair to say this has been the best or one of the best regular season's

SteelerNation1
12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Great post as usual Ov. I can tell you this much...I have watched and/or attended every game for years. I would be hard pressed to find back-to-back better games that I can remember. The only thing I can think of is NE and Philly in 2004. Simply amazing, SO FAR!

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
SN1, when I was reading your post before I got to the NE-Philly portion, that was the first 2 game stretch of awesomeness I could think of as well.

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM

we're fans.

getting caught up in this is what we do best.

leave the worrying about the work to Tomlin and team.

:tt1

:Agree :Beer :Agree