PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Open as Dogs in Tennesee...

agdci981
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Steelers +1 @ Tennesee. Another road game and another day as the dog!

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Was the closing line against the turds still +1?

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Was the closing line against the turds still +1?

The last time I saw the line it was at 2 1/2.

ikestops85
12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I think that is great because we play better as dogs but I must say I am a bit surprised. The Titans just lost to a team with a porous defense, they are not a good passing team and I can't see them running consistently against our D.

flippy
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Losing to TEN might not be a bad thing.

It would knock us down a notch before the playoffs which isn't bad.

And TEN could be 1 and done (playoff teams will stop their running game) and we end up with HFA anyways.

mshifko
12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
that's pretty much what i expected...

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM

And TEN could be 1 and done (playoff teams will stop their running game) and we end up with HFA anyways.

I'd prefer to go into the playoffs on a winning streak like we did in '05. I never subscribed to the "good loss" theory.

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I have heard from elsewhere that home team is usually granted a 2 to 3 swing just for being the home team, so if the spread is 1 in favor of tennessee, it pretty much means Vegas thinks the Steelers will win by 1 or two. FWIW, without Hainsworth, I am REALLY confident going into the game.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I have heard from elsewhere that home team is usually granted a 2 to 3 swing just for being the home team, so if the spread is 1 in favor of tennessee, it pretty much means Vegas thinks the Steelers will win by 1 or two. FWIW, without Hainsworth, I am REALLY confident going into the game.

One of my best friends is a huge Titans fan. He is supremely un-confident if Haynesworth doesn't play. And from all indications, its suspected that its a MCL tear, which can't be good. MRI results forthcoming today/early tomorrow from reports.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM

I'd prefer to go into the playoffs on a winning streak like we did in '05. I never subscribed to the "good loss" theory.

at least if they lose to the titans and win obviously against the stains they will go into the playoffs with a win. i also dont think it would be a big deal if they lost to tenn. i very much doubt we will see tenn. in the playoffs. if the steelers shut down johnson and white then its a wrap

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I find myself strangely absent the trepidation that I normally feel before upcoming games. I'm beginning to think these guys won't allow themselves to be stopped.

Even losing to the Titans wouldn't cause me to lose faith in the ability to achieve the ultimate goal. This team has something special going for it and the really good thing is that we aren't losing any critical pieces so it could even get better.

This team sort of reminds me of the Pats at the beginning of this decade--without the cheating.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
kiesel should be back very soon i would think. once he is back they are pretty much at full strength. im starting to wonder if ben should even play in the last game of the season.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
kiesel should be back very soon i would think. once he is back they are pretty much at full strength. im starting to wonder if ben should even play in the last game of the season.

If we beat Tennessee, we would still need to beat Cleveland to keep homefield throughout (unless the Titans also lose to the Colts, but I don't think they'll enter the playoffs on that bad of a slide). So, no, I would not sit Roethlisberger for the Cleveland game (maybe sit him in the 2nd half if we are up, though)

Lebsteel
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM

One of my best friends is a huge Titans fan. He is supremely un-confident if Haynesworth doesn't play. And from all indications, its suspected that its a MCL tear, which can't be good. MRI results forthcoming today/early tomorrow from reports.

Well, according to the first report that I've seen, it is only a sprain but he will miss at least the Steeler game:
After getting back the results of an MRI, Titans coach Jeff Fisher said Monday that Albert Haynesworth has a sprained MCL.

The Titans are lucky he didn't tear the ligament. Fisher expects him to be out "10 days to two weeks," but Haynesworth should be ready for the playoffs. The 12-2 Titans don't figure to rush Haynesworth back for Week 16 against the Steelers. They could have him ready for the finale at Indianapolis.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... fl&id=2636 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2636)

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM
i've seen some tough losses in nashville.

but these teams are going in different directions. especially health wise.

we get kiesel and they lose haynesworth and maybe vanden bosch for another week.

my brother in nashville is not very confident.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM

If we beat Tennessee, we would still need to beat Cleveland to keep homefield throughout (unless the Titans also lose to the Colts, but I don't think they'll enter the playoffs on that bad of a slide). So, no, I would not sit Roethlisberger for the Cleveland game (maybe sit him in the 2nd half if we are up, though)

yea i know they have to win out to get the #1 seed. i just dont think the #1 seed is as important as most thats all. the only way they will play on the road in the playoffs would be in tenn. which i doubt will happen. its just risk versus reward. im sure sean rogers would love to put another head but into bens right shoulder again. i think they could beat ken dorsey and the stains with dixon at qb

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM

It really depends on the Titans game. If we win we have to beat the Stains to preserve what we have accomplished. Otherwise we waste the effort. Everyone will already have a week off after the last game anyway.

If it is me I play the last game to win and totally demoralize the Stains because I would want to finish undefeated in the AFC North. I think it was a mistake last year to mail it in versus the Ravens last year because I think that in their mind it gave them confidence and fed into their belief of what they could achieve this season.

My 20 years in Army has shown me that total destruction of the enemy so complete that they can never recover is always the best policy.

Lebsteel
12-15-2008, 05:37 PM

yea i know they have to win out to get the #1 seed. i just dont think the #1 seed is as important as most thats all. the only way they will play on the road in the playoffs would be in tenn. which i doubt will happen. its just risk versus reward. im sure sean rogers would love to put another head but into bens right shoulder again. i think they could beat ken dorsey and the stains with dixon at qb

Actually, I'd love to see Dixon play a quarter or more. The FO needs to make a decision on whether to sign Batch or go with Dixon as #2, so that might be a nice time to test Dixon.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

It really depends on the Titans game. If we win we have to beat the Stains to preserve what we have accomplished. Otherwise we waste the effort. Everyone will already have a week off after the last game anyway.

If it is me I play the last game to win and totally demoralize the Stains because I would want to finish undefeated in the AFC North. I think it was a mistake last year to mail it in versus the Ravens last year because I think that in their mind it gave them confidence and fed into their belief of what they could achieve this season.

My 20 years in Army has shown me that total destruction of the enemy so complete that they can never recover is always the best policy.

thats true i would love to see an undefeated season within the division. i have never seen that happen before. i would hate to lose to the stains more than anything, but i dont think there is any way we could lose to the stains no matter who is at qb. just imagine ben getting hurt in the last game of the season though. that could be devastating

Lebsteel
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Oviedo, I didn't realize you were a ground-pounding grunt! Thanks for serving....from a 21-year Flyboy!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Sit 'em - avoid the injury bug...

Go all out - avoid the 2 week off complacency flu ...

Tough call, I think I'd come down on the side of avoiding injury - depending on Tomlin to keep the fires HOT for the first playoff game.

Just my :2c

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I'd play to win in Tenn & at home against Cleveland. This offense needs all the work it can get. Might rest some of the defensive starters in the Browns game and let the starting offense show us what it can do against a bad team. The offense has been resting during the first three quarters of the last couple of games, they can rest some more during the Bye-week. 8)

feltdizz
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Hayneswoth out.. vosch or bosch.. out as well....

I think we grind out another W.

13-3? Wow.... hell 12-4!!! who would have thunk it?

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I think with all the injuries, we go into Tennessee and win the game. And honestly, with their third-string Qb at the helm, I think Ben and most ofthe starters playign a quaretr should do the trick. Cleveland was bad with a capable QB. What mankes anyoen think we're gonna lose to their third stringer?

papillon
12-15-2008, 11:52 PM

They should never ever want to lose a game. This team doesn't really need to be knocked down a notch. The offense does that often enough as it is. :stirpot

Papillon

Wolfhound45
12-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Just curious, what motivation will the Colts have for the last game? Are they close to locking up the fifth or sixth seed? Would like to know how hard they are going to have to play against the Titans in the final week.

agdci981
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Since posting this the Steelers are now a 1 point favorite....

feltdizz
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Just curious, what motivation will the Colts have for the last game? Are they close to locking up the fifth or sixth seed? Would like to know how hard they are going to have to play against the Titans in the final week.

it depends on who they would face as a 5th or 6th.. some teams would rather be 6th just because they match up better with a team.

DBinAL
12-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Considering that the Ravens had Kyle Boller and Troy Smith as quarterbacks last year, how could losing last year's game have any effect on this year's games?

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I think with all the injuries, we go into Tennessee and win the game. And honestly, with their third-string Qb at the helm, I think Ben and most ofthe starters playign a quaretr should do the trick. Cleveland was bad with a capable QB. What mankes anyoen think we're gonna lose to their third stringer?

Just out of curiosity, who was this "capable QB" that Cleveland had? The last one I can remember was Otto Graham. :lol:

:brownssuck

papillon
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, who was this "capable QB" that Cleveland had? The last one I can remember was Otto Graham. :lol:

:brownssuck

Brian Sipe you youngin... :tt1

Pappy

Wolfhound45
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Oviedo, I didn't realize you were a ground-pounding grunt! Thanks for serving....from a 21-year Flyboy!!

Rookies. Sheesh. Twenty seven and counting (and still jumping out of those planes). :P

Wolfhound45
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

it depends on who they would face as a 5th or 6th.. some teams would rather be 6th just because they match up better with a team.

Good point FD. They may take a dive ala the Pats* just so they can avoid either Broncos/Jets-Dolphins-Pats*.

Been done before.

Steeler Shades
12-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I think Ben and most of the starters playign a quaretr should do the trick.
Are you satisfied with the performance of the offensive starters? Maybe we should keep them playing until they put 20 points on the board and THEN give them a rest. 8)

Lebsteel
12-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Rookies. Sheesh. Twenty seven and counting (and still jumping out of those planes). :P

Wolfhound, all I can say is :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

Wolfhound45
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM

:P

Hey, I am having my mid-life crisis. Right at thirty static line jumps in the past eighteen months. Just eight away from my master parachutist badge!

papillon
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I think Ben and most of the starters playign a quaretr should do the trick.
Are you satisfied with the performance of the offensive starters? Maybe we should keep them playing until they put 20 points on the board and THEN give them a rest. 8)

That could take overtime to get to 20 points. :stirpot That wouldn't be good, then they'd be getting too much work. :tt2

Pappy

Steeler Shades
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Are you satisfied with the performance of the offensive starters? Maybe we should keep them playing until they put 20 points on the board and THEN give them a rest. 8)That could take overtime to get to 20 points. :stirpot That wouldn't be good, then they'd be getting too much work. :tt2
It would be against the Browns, currently giving up 21.8 points per game and rated as the 27 worse defense.
BTW - OT of the Browns game or the AFCC? :stirpot
8)

Oviedo
12-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Hey, I am having my mid-life crisis. Right at thirty static line jumps in the past eighteen months. Just eight away from my master parachutist badge!

As a former Cavalry officer I have to ask why are you jumping out of perfectly good airplanes????? :wink:

I'll have to read your posts more closely for evidence of brain damage from hitting too many trees.

Wolfhound45
12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
As a former Cavalry officer I have to ask why are you jumping out of perfectly good airplanes????? :wink:

I'll have to read your posts more closely for evidence of brain damage from hitting too many trees.

I am not a smart man Oviedo...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/08/17/lge_Forrest_070816041507039_wideweb__300x300,1.jpg

Seriously, 57 jumps (and counting) and I have only landed in the trees once.