PDA

View Full Version : this is the goal line rule

Steelhere10
12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Coleman explained after the game that Holmes "had two feet down and completed the catch with control of the ball breaking the plane of the goal line."

By rule, his feet did not have to be down, however, when the ball crossed the goal line -- he had to be in possession of the ball when it broke the plane of the goal line and then, to complete the play, his feet had to touch the ground.

"When he gained control of the ball,'' Coleman said, "the ball was breaking the plane and then he fell into the field of play." so there is no doubt it was the correct call. but who gives a f@#$ any way the game is over.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Coleman explained after the game that Holmes "had two feet down and completed the catch with control of the ball breaking the plane of the goal line."

By rule, his feet did not have to be down, however, when the ball crossed the goal line -- he had to be in possession of the ball when it broke the plane of the goal line and then, to complete the play, his feet had to touch the ground.

"When he gained control of the ball,'' Coleman said, "the ball was breaking the plane and then he fell into the field of play." so there is no doubt it was the correct call. but who gives a f@#$ any way the game is over.

I have a (?) about this part, because people get TDs all the time as they are sailing out of bounds and their feet never touch in the field of play - just the ball breaks the plane.

??

Steelhere10
12-15-2008, 06:56 PM
from my understanding , if at any time the ball breaks the plain during the possesion of the ball it is a touchdown as long as the feet are in. in other words #1 catch #2 ball break plain #3 feet in

D Rock
12-15-2008, 08:12 PM

I have a (?) about this part, because people get TDs all the time as they are sailing out of bounds and their feet never touch in the field of play - just the ball breaks the plane.

??

If they already established possession and had two feet down and then took a nice leap towards the endzone and got the ball across it counts because all three ....possession, feet down, ball on goalline...happened. When they come down out of bounds the ball has already then crossed the goalline before they technically leave the field of play.

ghettoscott
12-15-2008, 09:30 PM
from my understanding , if at any time the ball breaks the plain during the possesion of the ball it is a touchdown as long as the feet are in. in other words #1 catch #2 ball break plain #3 feet in

From the NFL Rule Book:
"Should a receiver make a legal catch of the ball with both feet in bounds in the end zone, a touchdown shall be awarded even if no part of the ball was deemed to break the plane of the goal line while in possession of the receiving player.

...got this from a friend of mine...anyone validate this?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM

From the NFL Rule Book:
"Should a receiver make a legal catch of the ball with both feet in bounds in the end zone, a touchdown shall be awarded even if no part of the ball was deemed to break the plane of the goal line while in possession of the receiving player.

Holy cr*p, that is huge, that means it's a TD even without it's touching the plane (which it did, of course, as NKy so fastidiously determined).

NorthCoast
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM

From the NFL Rule Book:

If this is in fact true it pretty much eliminates 99% of the naysayers because most are questioning whether the ball actually broke the plane of the goalline. This seems an odd rule since you could have a 6'7" WR that catches it falling backward from the goalline and the ball could be 1 yd short while his feet are still in the EZ.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 09:44 PM

??
a run is different... they're already in possesion...

with a catch, you must establish possesion.