PDA

View Full Version : The No Huddle

frunko1
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Yesterday they said that the no huddle doesn't allow defenses to get in position to do the more complicated blitzing schemes...

If this is the case, why in the heck do we not run it more often. Should try it at least on one during the first or second qtr. Does Ben and Arians realize we can score points in other qtrs then the fourth?

Either Way, we are winning, and maybe the no huddle is their ace up the sleeve for the playoffs, and they don't want to give up to much tape on it till then... Yea thats it.

:tt1 :tt1

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the no huddle as your primary offense, but once or twice a game against defenses like the Ravens would be beneficial. Especially yesterday when they kept taking the play clock down to the 1.

AngryAsian
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Yesterday they said that the no huddle doesn't allow defenses to get in position to do the more complicated blitzing schemes...

If this is the case, why in the heck do we not run it more often. Should try it at least on one during the first or second qtr. Does Ben and Arians realize we can score points in other qtrs then the fourth?

Either Way, we are winning, and maybe the no huddle is their ace up the sleeve for the playoffs, and they don't want to give up to much tape on it till then... Yea thats it.

:tt1 :tt1

Frunko (love the name BTW), this is why my frustration level with the play calling has been at such a high level this season. Why can't we use the formula that our QB is most comfortable with, has yielded the most success in terms of points scored, and is such a deterrent to the opposing teams pass rush? My only hope is that we are saving this look for the playoffs. Maybe we aren't implementing our most successful offensive scheme because we are saving it for when it counts most and give no opposing team time to really dissect what we are trying to execute on the field.

Regardless, I hope we implement it more often as way to actually add to leads we may have in games, as opposed to when we are down and desperate. It seems that the best play calling that have helped us in the game is viewed by our OC like pieces of car. Instead of viewing the no huddle as the STEERING WHEEL, the scheme that will help guide us along, it is viewed like a TIRE IRON AND JACK, only used in case of emergency.
:Beer :Beer :Beer Here's to a more proactive approach with the playcalling and a romp to another Lombardi.

papillon
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I think they keep that part of the offense out of the game until the end to take advantage of a defense that is a bit more tired and may want to get new personnel into the game for fresh legs. If you're beginning to move the ball late and keep the same defensive personnel on the field you get an advantage if they can't substitute. The pass rushers lose their legs, the DBs may be winded from having to cover a couple deep routes, etc.

It looks so successful that you assume it would be successful early in the game as well, but, maybe not.

Pappy

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
The offense needs to play with more sense of urgency throughout the game and not just the fourth quarter. I saw none in the first 3 Q's.

With one of the best defenses in NFL history I think the offense can afford to let it all hang out.

Mick'sTeam
12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been asking the same question all season. I wish we used the no huddle, especially since our offense has been so bad. It would definitely slow down the pass rush and open things up for us. In the game yesterday, right after the big completion to Ward (30 yards I think) would have been the perfect time to begin the no huddle. Instead, I believe they called a timeout.

I know they cannot do it all the time, but I think it should definitely be mixed in. Also, running the play clock down to 1 every play just allows the blitz to time itself perfectly. Throw the defense off and snap it with 7 seconds left. Yesterday was really frustrating as they snapped it at 1 every time.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I've been asking the same question all season. I wish we used the no huddle, especially since our offense has been so bad. It would definitely slow down the pass rush and open things up for us. In the game yesterday, right after the big completion to Ward (30 yards I think) would have been the perfect time to begin the no huddle. Instead, I believe they called a timeout.

I know they cannot do it all the time, but I think it should definitely be mixed in. Also, running the play clock down to 1 every play just allows the blitz to time itself perfectly. Throw the defense off and snap it with 7 seconds left. Yesterday was really frustrating as they snapped it at 1 every time.

Yeah, and I wonder if that had something to do with Colon's false starts.

buckeyehoppy
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM

at 1 every time!!!

That's the problem with a gimp like Arians running any offense. He is so stubborn and bull-headed that he feels like he can get away with any scheme at any time regardless of the personnel. The guy is useless.

Snapping it at 1 every time is going to allow a D that is fully prepared for that scheme to tee off on Ben just by watching the play clock. That could get Ben killed!

If the Steelers are using the no-huddle, they could have run a play on 1st and goal on the final drive instead of wasting the down. Had that 3rd down play stood as called, they would have had a difficult choice on 4th: go for it and risk not making it or kick a FG. If they run a play on 1st, that bridge might not have been encountered because they might have had the D so far back on their heels that they get in the EZ on the first two plays, perhaps. Plus, the Steelers had a time out in the hole in that situation. Running a no-huddle would have made perfect sense with a time out left.

I hope that they are just holding off on using too much of this as a strategic thing to throw opposing DCs off their scent for the playoffs. When the Steelers have used the no-huddle this season, it has worked pretty well. But Arians needs to know better how to use this thing. That final drive yesterday is what the no-huddle was designed for!

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
we can only hope.

steeler_george
12-15-2008, 09:36 PM
The problem with the no huddle....too fast, no time consumption = more time for our defense to be on the field = tired D.

Just like what Troy said earlier in the week, that our defense can never co-exist with fast pace offense, he used the Saints as an example.

But it is good to know that our "O" can switch to the new huddle and be productive. It is like getting in a fight, and calling the boys around the corner for back up...no one saw it coming...hit them with a boom.

(ok, i know bad example, but I think you understand what I mean)

steeler_george
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey FRanko1 your metaphor or example is exactly what I mean...maybe I am still too worked up over the win. Can't wait till next week when we clinch the #1 seed.

stlrz d
12-15-2008, 10:00 PM

at 1 every time!!!

That's the problem with a gimp like Arians running any offense. He is so stubborn and bull-headed that he feels like he can get away with any scheme at any time regardless of the personnel. The guy is useless.

Snapping it at 1 every time is going to allow a D that is fully prepared for that scheme to tee off on Ben just by watching the play clock. That could get Ben killed!

If the Steelers are using the no-huddle, they could have run a play on 1st and goal on the final drive instead of wasting the down. Had that 3rd down play stood as called, they would have had a difficult choice on 4th: go for it and risk not making it or kick a FG. If they run a play on 1st, that bridge might not have been encountered because they might have had the D so far back on their heels that they get in the EZ on the first two plays, perhaps. Plus, the Steelers had a time out in the hole in that situation. Running a no-huddle would have made perfect sense with a time out left.

I hope that they are just holding off on using too much of this as a strategic thing to throw opposing DCs off their scent for the playoffs. When the Steelers have used the no-huddle this season, it has worked pretty well. But Arians needs to know better how to use this thing. That final drive yesterday is what the no-huddle was designed for!

Outstanding point!

I was so pissed off in the chat yesterday when they wouldn't get the ball snapped. I was mad because it makes the O linemen jumpy to be set for so long...I didn't even think about that.

Get the damn ball snapped already!!!

buckeyehoppy
12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
[quote="Mick'sTeam":35q6vu8e]I've been asking the same question all season. I wish we used the no huddle, especially since our offense has been so bad. It would definitely slow down the pass rush and open things up for us. In the game yesterday, right after the big completion to Ward (30 yards I think) would have been the perfect time to begin the no huddle. Instead, I believe they called a timeout.

at 1 every time!!!

Outstanding point!

I was so pissed off in the chat yesterday when they wouldn't get the ball snapped. I was mad because it makes the O linemen jumpy to be set for so long...I didn't even think about that.

Get the damn ball snapped already!!![/quote:35q6vu8e]

I don't know for sure, obviously. But I suspect that winding the play clock down to one probably means that BA has overcomplicated the cadence to try and throw off the D.

In actuality, it probably means that they are complicating the OL scheme unnecessarily by requiring them to hold the pose for too long. They need to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) and moderate the cadence by mixing up the length. Have some quick snaps when the D isn't expecting it.

The thing that should be disrupting defensive flow isn't the length of the cadence. It should be the diversity of play calling and the sophistication of the playbook. It doesn't have to be lengthy...it just needs to have enough complexity to fool a defense when there are least expecting it. I'm just afraid that this is a concept that has eluded Bruce Arians.

Mick'sTeam
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Running the play clock to 1 every time allows the opposing defense to time their blitzes, and with a defense like Baltimore's, it makes gaining yards even harder. I know we cannot run the no huddle every possession, but I don't know why we cannot throw it in their twice a half or so. Start the game with it even. We have played some good defenses the last couple of weeks, but our offense has been struggling for a while. Mixing the no huddle in here and there will open things up, not only when we use it, but when we are in our normal offense as well.

papillon
12-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Snapping the ball late also gives the defense the last move before the snap. After the play clock is below 8 seconds, if the defense gets out of a defense and into a new one the QB does not have time to change the play. So, you're stuck with the play you have called at that point in time.

Pappy

Djfan
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Why?

Because BA is stupid.

kennyes
12-16-2008, 02:55 AM
The problem with the no huddle....too fast, no time consumption = more time for our defense to be on the field = tired D.

Just like what Troy said earlier in the week, that our defense can never co-exist with fast pace offense, he used the Saints as an example.

Agree 100%.

Although if they mixed it in from time to time to throw defenses off and it puts points on the board it also puts less on our defense.