PDA

View Full Version : I know this is in hindsight . . .

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
. . . but did anyone else watch yesterday's game confidently, even though the Steelers were behind just about the whole game? I am usually up and down a couple thousand times during a game. Pacing, yelling, shaking my head, I go through the range of emotions. But, for whatever reason, I was pretty confident going into Sunday, and after the Ravens offense kept sputtering during the game, I remained pretty sure we would win even though we were behind all day. I didn't say any of that to my wife for fear of jinxing us, but I really thought we were going to win that game. I really like Joe Flacco as a QB, and when i saw that he was utterly lost out there, my confidence grew. I really never got nervous until AFTER we took the lead, oddly enough. :tt2

flippy
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
i thought we have a chance until the last drive.

we're never out of it.

papillon
12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
. . . but did anyone else watch yesterday's game confidently, even though the Steelers were behind just about the whole game? I am usually up and down a couple thousand times during a game. Pacing, yelling, shaking my head, I go through the range of emotions. But, for whatever reason, I was pretty confident going into Sunday, and after the Ravens offense kept sputtering during the game, I remained pretty sure we would win even though we were behind all day. I didn't say any of that to my wife for fear of jinxing us, but I really thought we were going to win that game. I really like Joe Flacco as a QB, and when i saw that he was utterly lost out there, my confidence grew. I really never got nervous until AFTER we took the lead, oddly enough. :tt2

I'm with you 100% after the Holmes' catch was ruled a TD the wife and kids were celbrating and that's when I got nervous seeing 43 seconds left on the clock and Reed gets the unnecessary roughness penalty. But, up until that point, it seemed impossible that the Steelers would lose and I can't tell you why.

Pappy

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM

I felt the same way yesterday! The entire game I just knew they were going to pull it out. I am usually one that is more vocal, yelling and screaming at the TV, but yesterday I just sorta sat around and watched with a quiet confidence. I told one of my patrons in the 1st quarter that the game would come down to the last drive and Ben would make the plays that the team needed to win. I wasn't at all surprised by yesterdays outcome and it really feels nice to have the team meet or exceed expectations.

:tt1 :tt2

AngryAsian
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I couldn't watch all of the third quarter because I was driving to work. Thank god one of my buddies was giving me the play by play via my cell. But I was nauseated at work. Too many of my coworkers who are very anti-Steelers kept jumping in my face. I called to a STAT birth and when I returned we were making our drive. When the call was over-turned and we got the TD I was jumping up and down like a maniac in one of my patience rooms. Thank goodness she was on a ventilator and was sedated. But no... through all the driving and inability to watch the game, I got to disconnected with the positive vibes.

Starlifter
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
at the start of the last drive I became strangely calm without any anxiety. the game was gut wrenching but at that point I really felt that with 3:30 to go and 92 yards IF you are a champion you drive the field, ensure the tie and give yourself the opportunity to win. If you don't, there are no excuses. Even after the score and the silly PF penalty on skippy, I wasn't worried. While I may have doubts about a champion offense, there's no way our champion defense would allow them to get 6.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I couldn't watch all of the third quarter because I was driving to work. Thank god one of my buddies was giving me the play by play via my cell. But I was nauseated at work. Too many of my coworkers who are very anti-Steelers kept jumping in my face. I called to a STAT birth and when I returned we were making our drive. When the call was over-turned and we got the TD I was jumping up and down like a maniac in one of my patience rooms. Thank goodness she was on a ventilator and was sedated. But no... through all the driving and inability to watch the game, I got to disconnected with the positive vibes.

Suggestion: Instead of having a buddy give you a play-by-play via your cell, make the investment in Sirius satellite radio. Once you get it, you will wonder how you ever got by with the standard local radio. I've had it for years now, and it was probably the most useful Christmas present my wife ever got me, because I use it every day. If your car has XM installed instead of Sirius, you can just add the Sirius package with the NFL channel and every game for a few bucks more. And, no, I did not get paid for this advertisement. :P

RKSteel
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Gotta to say I lost confidence that the Steelers would win. :oops: Watched the first half, was confident, then I had to take my daughter to her soccer game.

Started watching the second half, between the drops, the fumbles, bad punt coverage, the offense stalling because of stupid penalties, the ridculous non-holding on JH during Flacco's one big pass play, my confidence wavered.

I have to give my wife and two youngest daughters credit. They knew the Steelers won by the time I got back and they kept their poker faces on.

I would have liked to know if Tomlin would have gone for the win on 4th down, or kicked the FG?

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I have to give my wife and two youngest daughters credit. They knew the Steelers won by the time I got back and they kept their poker faces on.

Good job by them. I hate watching a game after the fact with someone that knows the score, because they seem to inevitably give something away at exactly the wrong time, even if it is just through subtle body language.

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Suggestion: Instead of having a buddy give you a play-by-play via your cell, make the investment in Sirius satellite radio. Once you get it, you will wonder how you ever got by with the standard local radio. I've had it for years now, and it was probably the most useful Christmas present my wife ever got me, because I use it every day. If your car has XM installed instead of Sirius, you can just add the Sirius package with the NFL channel and every game for a few bucks more. And, no, I did not get paid for this advertisement. :P

Yea, I second that. I don't have sirius, rather XM, but if you can afford the 13 bucks a month, it is sooooo worth it. Comedy channels, decade music channels, a ton of mixes, news channels, tons of sports talk, it really is all that. And not, with the merge, you can get it all.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
i had a lot of confidence because they were able to move the ball for the most part, just faltered in the red zone. on the other side of the ball, mclain worried me more than anyone else, i knew flacco wouldnt have a good game. that defense is amazing!! does anyone else like watching the defense more than the offense? i know i do. also i have never seen a kicker get hit up with a personal foul, has anyone seen that before? seems silly sense its a 150 lb kicker pushing a 300 lb lineman

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 05:21 PM
i had a lot of confidence because they were able to move the ball for the most part, just faltered in the red zone. on the other side of the ball, mclain worried me more than anyone else, i knew flacco wouldnt have a good game. that defense is amazing!! does anyone else like watching the defense more than the offense? i know i do. also i have never seen a kicker get hit up with a personal foul, has anyone seen that before? seems silly sense its a 150 lb kicker pushing a 300 lb lineman

Actually, he pushed a CB. Jeff Reed is listed at 5'11" and 225 lbs. Frank Walker is listed at 5'11" and 196 lbs. Skippy could have taken him. :lol:

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Ditto. Unbelievably awesome.

I never wavered...I was very relaxed and thought we would pull it out somehow, even when it was very dire...92 yards!? Are you kidding. Piece of cake. I did my share of yelling and screaming, but was so calm at one point (but needed a distraction) that I vacuumed/cleaned the living room and kitchen during timeouts and commercials. It helped keep me from having only nubs on my fingers rather than fingernails.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Actually, he pushed a CB. Jeff Reed is listed at 5'11" and 225 lbs. Frank Walker is listed at 5'11" and 196 lbs. Skippy could have taken him. :lol:

oh my bad, i saw it quickly and asumed it was a lineman. jeff reed is 225 lbs? holy crap, that sounds pretty big for a kicker, except for sebastian g. skippy is a mental case, i bet he could take a lot of guys in the nfl :lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 05:23 PM
i actually said during the 2nd quarter (on chat)... "groundhog day".

I felt like I knew exactly what was coming.

I still wonder why they don't go no-huddle more often. It's the only time the team moves the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM

oh my bad, i saw it quickly and asumed it was a lineman. jeff reed is 225 lbs? holy crap, that sounds pretty big for a kicker, except for sebastian g. skippy is a mental case, i bet he could take a lot of guys in the nfl :lol:

He seems to take every opportunity to show off his guns (and occassionally other parts of his anatomy, but we won't go there)

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/04/jeefreedgirl.jpg

It's funny that the Steelers drafted a punter who is even more ripped than Skippy, though.

http://www.dannysepulvedafan.com/images/injury%20story%20pic%20on%20news%20page.jpg

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Ditto. Unbelievably awesome.

I never wavered...I was very relaxed and thought we would pull it out somehow, even when it was very dire...92 yards!? Are you kidding. Piece of cake. I did my share of yelling and screaming, but was so calm at one point (but needed a distraction) that I vacuumed/cleaned the living room and kitchen during timeouts and commercials. It helped keep me from having only nubs on my fingers rather than fingernails.

:lol: That's classic.

DukieBoy
12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
at the start of the last drive I became strangely calm without any anxiety. the game was gut wrenching but at that point I really felt that with 3:30 to go and 92 yards IF you are a champion you drive the field, ensure the tie and give yourself the opportunity to win. If you don't, there are no excuses. Even after the score and the silly PF penalty on skippy, I wasn't worried. While I may have doubts about a champion offense, there's no way our champion defense would allow them to get 6.

That last drive ... I was watching and it was like in total silence and slow motion, like a movie (The Natural), except I was chatboarding like a lunatic.

NW Steeler
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
When Santonio fumbled that pass from our own endzone, I figured it was over. Then when the Peckers were driving in the fourth, I thought it was over until Timmons knocked them out of fg range.

When we got the ball on that last drive, I felt pretty confident, but my stomach was still doing cartwheels!