PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ed Bouchette cover the Steelers?

mshifko
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
did anyone else see ed bouchette's phone interview on ESPN first take?

they asked him about the call and he said the refs had it right the first time and shouldn't have overturned the ruling on the field...he never thought the ball broke the plane...what a homo...why do you go on national television and say crap like that?

from the perspective of the goal-line, the touch of the ball touches white...that's all the visual proof needed...

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
He is and always has been an idiot. He is just trying to perpetuate the story, but it doesn't matter because the decision was made and the game is over.

Journalists just trying to create a story--nothing more. Anyone who saw the overhead and believes that the tip of the ball did not touch the goal line is blind. That's all it needed to do--touch the vertical plane.

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Why does Ed Bouchette cover the Steelers? As much of a homer as I am, it is not EB's job to be a Steelers fan. He was asked to be on the show, and he said what he felt was correct? Seriously, I don't know if you were a Pirates fan, but if Dejan consistantly took the side of the Pirates, I would HATE him as a journalist. None of us can say with any degree of certainty that the ball did cross or did not cross the plane. I think it did, but that doesn't make it what happened. He is a journalist who covers the Steelers impartally. Please understand the difference.

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Why does Ed Bouchette cover the Steelers? As much of a homer as I am, it is not EB's job to be a Steelers fan. He was asked to be on the show, and he said what he felt was correct? Seriously, I don't know if you were a Pirates fan, but if Dejan consistantly took the side of the Pirates, I would HATE him as a journalist. None of us can say with any degree of certainty that the ball did cross or did not cross the plane. I think it did, but that doesn't make it what happened. He is a journalist who covers the Steelers impartally. Please understand the difference.

I agree! He doesn't have to be a homer. His job is to be impartial, but I think his smug attitude and demeanor to the fans is what makes him seem different in the eyes of many. His weekly chat on the PG is a display of arrogance and a look at me type of attitude. I think, all in all, he is terrible because he thinks the fans don't know a thing and their opinion or foresight mean nothing. We don't call the guy Douchette for nothing.

:2c

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM

I agree! He doesn't have to be a homer. His job is to be impartial, but I think his smug attitude and demeanor to the fans is what makes him seem different in the eyes of many. His weekly chat on the PG is a display of arrogance and a look at me type of attitude. I think, all in all, he is terrible because he thinks the fans don't know a thing and their opinion or foresight mean nothing. We don't call the guy Douchette for nothing.

Now that is a perfectly good reason to not like him. :D

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM

:Agree
8)

flippy
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
saying the opposite is what got him attention in this situation.

Ghost
12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Ed doesn't work for SI or CNN or ESPN. He's not the football guy for NFL countdown. Why does he have to be impartial? He's nothing more than a local guy working for a local paper. I don't think it's unreasonable to have the local guy be a fan of the team.

He said what he said because he thinks he's bigger than he is, even though he's been in Pgh for ever. He's just being controversial (most probably b/c he's fat and bitter that he's still just a local guy).

And the NFL has officially said the correct call was made so Ed's wrong. And personally, having seen the replay, in slow motion and all, I don't see how anyone can dispute that the tip of the ball clearly crosses the plain

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Ed doesn't work for SI or CNN or ESPN. He's not the football guy for NFL countdown. Why does he have to be impartial? He's nothing more than a local guy working for a local paper...
Would you want the local reporters to be fans of the local politicians also? How about the Pirates ownership? It Ed's job to write his opinions and not to cheer lead for the Steelers. We may not like him (and I don't) but he is doing what he is getting paid to do. 8)

Ghost
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Ed doesn't work for SI or CNN or ESPN. He's not the football guy for NFL countdown. Why does he have to be impartial? He's nothing more than a local guy working for a local paper...
Would you want the local reporters to be fans of the local politicians also? How about the Pirates ownership? It Ed's job to write his opinions and not to cheer lead for the Steelers. We may not like him (and I don't) but he is doing what he is getting paid to do. 8)

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the Steelers, coaches, or ownership. Maybe I'm just jaded b/c he's such a douche abou this chats and Q&A. Oh...and he was wrong!

flippy
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the Steelers, coaches, or ownership. Maybe I'm just jaded b/c he's such a douche abou this chats and Q&A. Oh...and he was wrong!

he has a douchey arrogance about him.

and no place is it clearer than in his chats.

he tries to set himself above the average steelers fan.

he clearly doesn't love his job. he should be honored to cover the team on our behalf.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
You don't have to be a homer, but at least give the impression that you even like the team or manage to occassionally enjoy the dream of a job you are lucky enough to have.

As fans, we enjoy listening to guys that are passionate about their job, have fun doing it, and are unabashed fans of the teams they cover (even though they will be critical of the team when it is deserving, just like most of us fans).

Guys like Myron Cope and Mike Lange are legends in this town, because they share in our enthusiasm for our teams. They are PlanetSteelers type guys.

Guys like Ed Bouchette and Mark Madden just seem like miserable b@st@rds most of the time. They would fit in better with the crowd that used to be over on the Trib board.

mshifko
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

no you have it all wrong...the pirates are a bad franchise, dejan often sides with the fans...but the steelers are a great franchise and a great team...how can you cover the team and not feel passionate about it?

bouchette thrives on pissing off steelers fans...just read his chats...he thinks he's funny, but really he's a clueless hater who picked us to finish 9-7 at best...

the call was close, but as a steeler fan/media member i would hope you would have seen the ball touch white...anyways, i don't think it would have mattered if it got overturned, we would have QB snuck that ball in...

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
did anyone else see ed bouchette's phone interview on ESPN first take?

they asked him about the call and he said the refs had it right the first time and shouldn't have overturned the ruling on the field...he never thought the ball broke the plane...what a homo...why do you go on national television and say crap like that?

from the perspective of the goal-line, the touch of the ball touches white...that's all the visual proof needed...

He is not the only one with the opinion that the ball did not cross the line. The refs on the field saw it that way too. I do not believe there was enough evidence to over turn the call. If we were on the opposite end of the call, several of the fans here would be outraged over the call.

The same sort of play happened in SB XL. During the game, I believe Ben stated he did not think he got in. Did that make him a homo too? It was only his opinion and not that big a deal. The same can be said for Ed.

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
You don't have to be a homer, but at least give the impression that you even like the team....
Are you saying that Bouchette NEVER gives the impression that he likes the Steelers, or just doesn't do it enough to please some people?[/quote] 8)

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2008, 05:08 PM

no you have it all wrong...the pirates are a bad franchise, dejan often sides with the fans...but the steelers are a great franchise and a great team...how can you cover the team and not feel passionate about it?

bouchette thrives on pissing off steelers fans...just read his chats...he thinks he's funny, but really he's a clueless hater who picked us to finish 9-7 at best...

the call was close, but as a steeler fan/media member i would hope you would have seen the ball touch white...anyways, i don't think it would have mattered if it got overturned, we would have QB snuck that ball in...

I get what you are saying, and I didn't hear what EB said on ESPN, but my point about being an impartial journalist stands. The point was brought up by someone that he doesn't work for ESPN or CNN, just the local paper. The Post Gazette is a very large paper in a very large market, and the Steelers beat is one of the best in the business from a football standpoint. Arrogance aside, It is not in any way his job to be a fan. You have to, as a professional journalist, seperate yourself. YOU CAN NOT BE A GOOD JOURNALIST AND A FAN OF THE TEAM, PERIOD. You HAVE to seperate that. Mike Lange is not a journalist. He works for the Penguins. Myron Cope was a good journalist who could seperate himself from his fanism, and btw, Cope was not afraid to call out the Steelers when he felt it necessary. His color commentary and his talk show were very different. I don't like the arogance of EB, and I don't particularily like him, but if EB didn't think it was a TD, then he has the right to say that, no matter what team he is covering. Any journalist who lets his inner fanboy shine through is not very respectable.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
ive never liked douchette but its not for having an opinion. the guy is so arrogant and i am a better writer than him.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
You don't have to be a homer, but at least give the impression that you even like the team....
Are you saying that Bouchette NEVER gives the impression that he likes the Steelers, or just doesn't do it enough to please some people? 8)[/quote]

He just gives the air of someone who considers it a burden to have to cover the team. I'm sure there are mundane parts of his job just like everyone else's jobs, but you don't have to be miserable about it seemingly all the time when there are millions that would trade places with him for a second. Other writers seems to have the fan in mind, such as Dale Lolley and Jim Wexell. I'm not quite sure who Bouchette is writing for.