PDA

View Full Version : The spike?

feltdizz
12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
mistake by Ben or the correct call? I thought it was a mistake with 50 seconds left to spike it with 1 timeout... sure you save the TO for the FG but with 50 seconds left you kill the clock?

Arians takes too long to call plays... we should have kept pushing the no huddle IMO...

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I was screaming that we didn't need a spike...there was plenty of time. Dumb waste of a play. There should have been a basic low-risk play that Ben could have been called at the line that would have been either an incompletion or a TD...might have only taken another 10 seconds off the clock but that was much better than wasting a down at that point.

snarky
12-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Much as I love Ben, that was a completely boneheaded move.

papillon
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
At the 4 yard line you can even use the timeout if you want to, the Steelers weren't going to try and run the ball into the endzone from the 4 yard line anyhow. The spike was a wasted play that wasn't necessary IMHO.

They should have had a play called and ready to go. It all worked out, but, at the time I was screaming that they wasted a play.

Pappy

costanza2k1
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Why did Big Ben spike the ball?
Monday, December 15, 2008
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Click here to submit your question

Question:

Why did Ben spike the ball to stop the clock with 50 seconds left on the 4 yard line and waste a down?

Tom Migacz, Trumbull, Conn.

BOUCHETTE: I asked Ben Roethlisberger that same question and he confirmed why I thought they did it: To settle things down. They did lose a play, but he said they wanted to take their time there, think about what they were going to run because all they needed was a field goal to tie. It wasn't done to kill the game clock. He said had they absolutely needed a touchdown, they would not have used the spike. At the very least, they had their field goal at that point and wanted to run two good plays to try for the win.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
At the 4 yard line you can even use the timeout if you want to, the Steelers weren't going to try and run the ball into the endzone from the 4 yard line anyhow. The spike was a wasted play that wasn't necessary IMHO.

They should have had a play called and ready to go. It all worked out, but, at the time I was screaming that they wasted a play.

Pappy

I wouldn't have used the last timeout, because with our o-line vs. their defense, there is always the possibility of a Kent Graham sack (sorry if I drudged up any repressed memories there)...I would have kept the timeout as insurance...but he definitely could have called a quick, safe play that would not have eliminated a vital down.

SuperSize
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't understand the hand-wringing over the spike. After it was all said & done, the Steelers scored a TD and won the game, making it a non-issue.

I personally thought it was the right move, and if you don't spike it there, call the TO. The most important issue was that the Steelers needed to take all of the time they had available to make sure that they completely assessed the situation and then had the play & personnel package that best fit the situation. If they use a running play or complete a pass that doesn't get into the end zone, they will lose a minimum of 25 seconds, which was half of the time left on the clock.

Like Ben told Bouchette, the FG was in the bag...take your time & try to get in the end zone.

Pete

mshifko
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
i didn't like it, but i guarantee you that we did it because we were going to go for it...spike the ball, then get 2 plays designed...

papillon
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't understand the hand-wringing over the spike. After it was all said & done, the Steelers scored a TD and won the game, making it a non-issue.

I personally thought it was the right move, and if you don't spike it there, call the TO. The most important issue was that the Steelers needed to take all of the time they had available to make sure that they completely assessed the situation and then had the play & personnel package that best fit the situation. If they use a running play or complete a pass that doesn't get into the end zone, they will lose a minimum of 25 seconds, which was half of the time left on the clock.

Like Ben told Bouchette, the FG was in the bag...take your time & try to get in the end zone.

Pete

Yea, I realize that it worked out, but, the Steeler offense has not been a juggernaut this year and my belief was that having as many plays as possible is best for this team. I'm glad that Ben has enough confidence in himself and the offense to get it done in two plays, but, I would still liked to have had that third try if they needed it.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Pete

But if they had that extra down, they could have just run it in on 3rd down if Santonio happened to ruled down at the one-inch-line.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm so torn on this situation. On the one hand, I was extremely pi$$ed when they spiked it just because like Phil Simms was saying, I'd rather have 3 plays to get 4 yards than 2. It was kind of dumb to me.

But I guess if they were that discombobulated that they needed a breather then I guess its the right thing to do. I still feel weird just wasting a play like that though. Just sneak it or something and get a yard or two at least...

Jigawatts
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Didn't like it. If they make the wrong call it's decision time on fourth and 1 instead
of third and 1. Plus I wanted that clock as close to zero as possible.

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I was very upset about that at the time.

Run the ball up the middle!!!!! then call a timeout. we had 1

SuperSize
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm so torn on this situation. On the one hand, I was extremely pi$$ed when they spiked it just because like Phil Simms was saying, I'd rather have 3 plays to get 4 yards than 2. It was kind of dumb to me.

But I guess if they were that discombobulated that they needed a breather then I guess its the right thing to do. I still feel weird just wasting a play like that though. Just sneak it or something and get a yard or two at least...

See, I don't think they were "discombobulated," confused, or anything of the sort. I think they just wanted to make sure they had the right play & personnel package on the field. Remember, any play they run that is stopped in the field of play (i.e., not an incomplete pass) is going to eat up 25-30 seconds by the time you unpile everyone, so why not take your time?

Pete

P.S. - I love the use of the word discombobulated, and always wondered how it would be spelled...thanks, Shiek :D

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM

See, I don't think they were "discombobulated," confused, or anything of the sort. I think they just wanted to make sure they had the right play & personnel package on the field. Remember, any play they run that is stopped in the field of play (i.e., not an incomplete pass) is going to eat up 25-30 seconds by the time you unpile everyone, so why not take your time?

Pete

P.S. - I love the use of the word discombobulated, and always wondered how it would be spelled...thanks, Shiek :D

I would love to take credit for spelling that correctly...but you might need to consult a dictionary...that was my best guess at spelling it.

And I hope Ben wasn't confused...kind of like the Ravens lineman that lined up in the wrong spot because he was confused? Idiot refs...

feltdizz
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I can buy the calming everyone down answer... our OL is known to jump at the worst times.

It worked so it's cool.. but if we ended up kicking the FG we would be all over that decision.

snarky
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
If it was to calm everyone down, call the time out. The previous play ended with about a minute to go -- which would be plenty of time for four plays assuming one ended with an incomplete pass.

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Didn't like the spike at the time and still don't like the spike. It seemed at the time that Ben made the decision on his own (without looking to the sideline) and didn't actually think it through. I think that is part of the reasons we have coaches, to rationally make decisions during the "heat" of the game. It was a wasted down that didn't need to be wasted, and like MANY of the mistakes in that game it could have contributed to another loss. 8)

papillon
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Didn't like the spike at the time and still don't like the spike. It seemed at the time that Ben made the decision on his own (without looking to the sideline) and didn't actually think it through. I think that is part of the reasons we have coaches, to rationally make decisions during the "heat" of the game. It was a wasted down that didn't need to be wasted, and like MANY of the mistakes in that game it could have contributed to another loss. 8)

I agree. Isn't part of the quarterbacks job to also get everybody calmed and ready for the next play? A fade is a very safe route to run in that situation or even a running play could have been called. Can't complain about the results, but, I'd still rather the Steelers have 3 shots to score than just the two that they had.

Pappy

flippy
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I suspect Ben didn't have a play called.

If that was the case, it would have taken Arians/Ben almost the whole clock to get the next play off.

I think we may have gotten 2 plays instead of 1 which could have happened without the spike.

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I suspect Ben didn't have a play called.
I think during the "two minute drill" the QB is not waiting for the coaching staff to call plays. He can call them at the line of scrimmage. 8)

AngryAsian
12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Completely agree with the consensus on this thread. With the way this team has played in the red zone as of late, you don't burn a play. The spike was the wrong call, and I with the Dallas stop last week in the same yardage situation you would of thought our OC had learned that lesson. Oh well...

DBinAL
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Ben looked to the sideline and motioned 'spike the ball' to Tomlin. Tomlin nodded and Ben went up to the line and spiked it. That is what happened.

I didn't agree with the spike and still don't. There was 1:04 left when Ben spiked the ball. That is plenty of time to run 4 plays, especially with 1 timeout left. IMO, Ben lines up, takes his time and calls the play. If 20 more seconds run off the clock, that still leaves 40 seconds to run 3 plays. Use the timeout if the 1st down play had been a run. At that stage of the game, the Steelers should have used all of the clock to keep the Ravens from having ANY chance of scoring. The worst case scenario should have been a FG for the tie as the clock runs out.

Starlifter
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
well as long as we're playing 'what if' - ask yourself if santonio had been ruled down on the 1 inch line, we go for the TD on 4th down and get stuffed, who would be saying the spike was ok? it worked out, but that was a poor decision on an otherwise stellar drive. no need to make a big deal about it, hey - we won. but objectively, there was no need to spike the ball.

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
The spike was a poor decision. The team had plenty of time to run 3 plays and still get a short huddle to get everyone on the same page. The team was not going to be running in that situation so I don't see where there would have been a lack of time. The Ravens did have :43 left to get into position to attempt a throw into the end zone. There was no reason in my opinion to spike the ball.

:2c

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
...It seemed at the time that Ben made the decision on his own (without looking to the sideline) and didn't actually think it through. I think that is part of the reasons we have coaches, to rationally make decisions during the "heat" of the game...

Ben looked to the sideline and motioned 'spike the ball' to Tomlin. Tomlin nodded and Ben went up to the line and spiked it. That is what happened....
Great. Tomlin made the call. Just beautiful. I suppose the "plan" was that Ben must have been discombobulated and Tomlin thought he was "requesting" permission to spike the ball. So Tomlin thought he was helping Ben get his head together. Meanwhile Ben really was just asking if that was what Tomlin wanted him to do.

Maybe I was wrong (again). Maybe Ben shouldn't look to the sidelines for guidance. There is none there. Perhaps he should also ditch that helmet that Airens uses to call in plays to him also. He seems to do a lot better when he is running the two minute drill and taking what is available instead of what the sidelines is calling in to him. 8)

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
it was a dumb move. there was still plenty of time left, why waste a down?

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":3ka0fwqs]...It seemed at the time that Ben made the decision on his own (without looking to the sideline) and didn't actually think it through. I think that is part of the reasons we have coaches, to rationally make decisions during the "heat" of the game...

Ben looked to the sideline and motioned 'spike the ball' to Tomlin. Tomlin nodded and Ben went up to the line and spiked it. That is what happened....
Great. Tomlin made the call. Just beautiful. I suppose the "plan" was that Ben must have been discombobulated and Tomlin thought he was "requesting" permission to spike the ball. So Tomlin thought he was helping Ben get his head together. Meanwhile Ben really was just asking if that was what Tomlin wanted him to do.

Maybe I was wrong (again). Maybe Ben shouldn't look to the sidelines for guidance. There is none there. Perhaps he should also ditch that helmet that Airens uses to call in plays to him also. He seems to do a lot better when he is running the two minute drill and taking what is available instead of what the sidelines is calling in to him. 8)[/quote:3ka0fwqs]

Ha. Maybe he can pull a Thurman Thomas and "lose" his helmet but not say anything til the last second and just take Skippy's helmet or something...

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
HONESTLY.

They had enough time to HUDDLE UP and run the ball on 1st down.

53 seconds, 1 Timeout ...
Huddle up w/ the personnel you have on the field and call a run, QB sneak even. Who cares what the play call was. Call for a FADE pass.
Anything is better than a spike!

Worst case scenario, it would have been 2nd and goal from the 3 with 30 seconds and no T.O.'s!!!