PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison

Slapstick
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I kind of got sick of Simms and Nance claiming that Harrison had a "quiet" game...

I mean, Baltimore changed their entire offense to account for James Harrison...putting in Adam Terry at TE and assigning him to block Harrison took another skill position player off the field...

I mean, Todd Heap has been a Steeler Killer of almost Jimmy Smith-like proportions...

But yesterday? One catch...because he was held back to block...

Despite their adjustment, the Ravens still couldn't run the ball (3.6 YpC), they still couldn't pass the ball (11-28, 2 INT, 2 Sacks) and they still couldn't score points (Red Zone Efficiency: 0-3, 0%)...

So, perhaps James Harrison did have a "quiet" game...but, he made the most noise the entire week of Ravens practice before the game...

If you attempt to game plan against one specific player on this defense, you have already lost...

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Harrison already took care of that problem. You likely won't be seeing Nantz and Simms...ever...again. Unless he shows leniency on them because they won, then maybe he let them live...

But you are absolutely correct. They basically gameplanned for the guy and while it might've worked to keep JH's stats down, it hurt them in many other areas.

Not to mention that :ratsuck

steelblood
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
The Ravens did a nice job against Harrison and McClain ran well. Fortunately, we did a good job of slowing down McClain and our pass defense was great. Terry was very impressive neutralizing Harrison. Terry created some nice running lanes for McClain and won several one-on-one battles against Harrison. I thought it was certainly a noteworthy subject.

Slapstick
12-15-2008, 12:56 PM
The Ravens did a nice job against Harrison and McClain ran well. Fortunately, we did a good job of slowing down McClain and our pass defense was great. Terry was very impressive neutralizing Harrison. Terry created some nice running lanes for McClain and won several one-on-one battles against Harrison. I thought it was certainly a noteworthy subject.

I'm not arguing that...Terry did do a good job of neutralizing Harrison...

The fact that the Ravens had to add Terry to the starting lineup in order to neutralize Harrison is one of the many factors that helped the Steelers win...

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
the ravens did a great job of holding harrison on a ton of plays, so i think that is most of the reason he had a quiet game. did he get credit for a half a sack?

papillon
12-15-2008, 01:38 PM
the ravens did a great job of holding harrison on a ton of plays, so i think that is most of the reason he had a quiet game. did he get credit for a half a sack?

No, they gave Aaron Smith the full sack.

Pappy

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Same song, different week. The non calls of holding against Harrsion and Woodley are should be an embarrassment for the refs and the league. They are manipulating the outcome of games because they don't like "ugly" wins and they are trying to pump up offensive production and ESPN highlight clips. I would be surprised if the Goddell league changes rules like they did against the Steel Curtain and makes rushers count : one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three before being allowed to rush.

Imagine how dominant this defense would be if only 25% of those calls had been made this season.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought it was funny how the announcers lauded Terry's blocking of Harrison on one play, then when they showed the replay, and they said something to the effect of "Uhhh...ya think he was held on that play? Ummm...yeah." Terry basically had Harrison in a headlock as Harrison was still running by him. All he could do at that point was try to give him helmet noogies. And yet the referees never see holding on Harrison. Mindblowing.

Mel Blount's G
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM

No, they gave Aaron Smith the full sack.

Pappy
Which I disagree with because James had him by the feet before Smith got there and knocked him down

I do agree w/ the initial post. Harrison had an effect before the game even started because the felons game planned around him. When and if teams continue to do this ,it should give greater opportunities for other dl's or lb's to do damage. In that way, James is still successful

A fair comparison might be: Having a Moss or an Andre Johnsson, etc.. as your #1 receiver should open up opportunities for the #2 receivers because D's will game plan to gfive lot's of attention to that game-changing #1 receiver. That #1 may not light up the stat sheet but because he's demanding double coverage on a consistent basis, he has had a positive effect (at least in theory he should)

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
I thought it was funny how the announcers lauded Terry's blocking of Harrison on one play, then when they showed the replay, and they said something to the effect of "Uhhh...ya think he was held on that play? Ummm...yeah." Terry basically had Harrison in a headlock as Harrison was still running by him. All he could do at that point was try to give him helmet noogies. And yet the referees never see holding on Harrison. Mindblowing.

They see it, they just don't call it because they are under mandate to facilitate more offense and hence more TV friendly games.

Mel Blount's G
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM

They see it, they just don't call it because they are under mandate to facilitate more offense and hence more TV friendly games.
Good point. And to clarify, Goodell's mandate and agenda

NW Steeler
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I knew after the TD call that the Seafag fans here would be all over me this morning. Sure enough, I was stupid enough to bring it up and they actaully had the nerve to say that the Steelers get ALL the calls....WOW...I guess that they should actually watch a game, because I would say that the Steelers get screwed on calls for the most part, especially non-calls.

BTW, I didn't think that the call should have been overturned yesterday. But it should have been a TD in the first place.

mshifko
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
harrison has had two big tackles blocking (i mean holding) him these past two weeks...harrison isn't coming off the edge as much he's more or less playing the run more these past two weeks...he'll be back in full effect come playoff time...his stats aren't improving, but he's a major part of these past two dubs

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
harrison has had two big tackles blocking (i mean holding) him these past two weeks...harrison isn't coming off the edge as much he's more or less playing the run more these past two weeks...he'll be back in full effect come playoff time...his stats aren't improving, but he's a major part of these past two dubs

This is mostly true. Harrison and Woodley both dropped back in coverage more than previous games. At times the Steelers were only bringing 3 and 4 rushers while Harrison dropped back.

I think they did this differently this game to confuse Flacco.

mshifko
12-15-2008, 06:27 PM

This is mostly true. Harrison and Woodley both dropped back in coverage more than previous games. At times the Steelers were only bringing 3 and 4 rushers while Harrison dropped back.

I think they did this differently this game to confuse Flacco.

yeah, i mean we're not sending woodley/harrison off the edge every single game...this is the NFL and teams can adjust if we do the same thing every play, week after week...lebeau knows what he's doing

pittpete
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
James should go into wrestling with all the holds he is learning :wft