PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if we could Punt

flippy
12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Our defense continues to amaze me.

We continually put them in bad situations.

We can't run the ball/control the clock.

We turn the ball over in bad spots.

And we can't punt for field position worth a crap.

The Baltimore punter was fantastic yesterday.

He pinned us into bad field position time and again.

Just imagine what our defense could do if we could punt.....

This makes what our D is doing that much more impressive.

Steelhere10
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
i pray that punting don't come back and haunt us in the playoffs. a new punter is needed.

papillon
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
i pray that punting don't come back and haunt us in the playoffs. a new punter is needed.

The "new" punter we need is on IR, we're stuck with Berger for the remainder of this season.

Pappy

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
i thought berger was ok. he only had one shank, i think his avg for the day was 40+ yards. the coverage stunk yesterday though. he did have one punt down to the 6 that was returned to mid field. they also had 90 yards rushing which i think is pretty good against the ravens

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Lesson learned for all the "message board experts" who criticized the front office for drafting Sepulveda when we did. Punters are a critical part of the strategy of the game.

It is naive to minimize the impact of a punter and to think they are easy to get. Punters have the ball in their hands more in games than top receivers. The Ravens' punter kept them in the game yesterday.

Appreciate Sepulveda when he is back next year.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Yup a very underrated portion of the game.

Thats why I said the offense (and I'll include the punters) should be forced to do random chores for the defensive players in the offseason for putting them in all these bad situations.

SteelerNation1
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
After the debacle thi9s yr...I will certainly do this

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Lesson learned for all the "message board experts" who criticized the front office for drafting Sepulveda when we did. Punters are a critical part of the strategy of the game.

It is naive to minimize the impact of a punter and to think they are easy to get. Punters have the ball in their hands more in games than top receivers. The Ravens' punter kept them in the game yesterday.

Just a couple notes here:

-we drafted Sepulveda in the 4th round...Sam Koch was drafted in the 6th
-last year Sepulveda averaged 42.4 yards per punt with 28 inside the 20...and had a long of 59-------Berger's average is 1.6 yards per punt less, but has a longer punt this year as well
-The top punters in the league are as follows:
Donnie Jones, 7th round
Mat McBriar, undrafted
Shane Lechler, 5th round
Chris Kluwe, undrafted
Andy Lee, 6th round
Brett Kern, undrafted
Jon Ryan, undrafted
Mike Scifres, 5th round
Jason Baker, 7th round
Sam Koch, 6th round
There is not a top 10, nor top 15...maybe even more...punters drafted before or even where Daniel Sepulveda was drafted. The best were drafted way after him...or not drafted at all.
-Sepulveda might be better than Berger, but if he averaged the same ypp that he did last year he'd be sitting at 28th in the league for average by a punter. Not exactly spectacular.
-Interestingly enough the punters drafted before the 5th round have traditionally not been ad good as later round picks, or undrafted guys...with a few exceptions being Brad Maynard, Todd Sauerbraun, and that's about it.
-Considering where Sepulveda was drafted Brandon Fields was drafted in the 7th round and has a better punting average than Sepulveda.

I will give Sepulveda this much credit, not sure how much he alone deserves the credit though, his net punting average would put him at 16th in the NFL.

Punters are important...but saying it was the right move to draft one in the fourth...well the jury is still out on that, especially considering how all of the above kickers who are leading the league were drafted well after our own Sepulveda.

Just stating.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh and btw...Sam Koch and Shane Lechler are FA next year. Maybe we should make a run at them instead of Sepulveda.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh and btw...Sam Koch and Shane Lechler are FA next year. Maybe we should make a run at them instead of Sepulveda.

No thanks. We have our punter. He is just on IR right now. When healthy, he had a remarkable ratio for punts downed inside the 20 vs. touchbacks (something like 28 to 2 if I recall correctly). That is more important than a guy that just has a big leg (which can also lead to a guy overkicking his coverage, leading to a greater chance of a long runback).

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
We tried to get Lee in FA and the 49ers matched because they know how important a punter is.

We needed a punter bad the year we drafted Sepulveda and he was the best one in the draft. Playing hindsight is 20/20 to justify a position of waiting offers nothing. We got who we wanted when we knew he was available. That is always a smart move no matter how much Monday Morning Quarterbacking you want to do after the fact.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Well you can't have a punter thread and not bring up the fact that Gardocki still has yet to have a punt block....

oh and who else has the "Aussie roll"...you know...the punting style that causes the ball to spin funny and bounce backwards...that alone gives Sepulveda the edge over everyone except Ray Guy. :)

snarky
12-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't understand why they didn't make a move for Mike Vanderjagt. He averaged over 44 yards in the CFL this year and would also serve as a backup if something happened to Reed.

(In case you are wondering, I am serious).

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
We don't take liquored up kickers...just stoned receivers!

That's interesting, I didn't know Vandy punted in CFL...good for him...

As for backing up Reed, I think I'd rather have Harrison take a chance at toe poking a ball than Vandy kicking another NFL FG after how bad he shanked it against us in the playoffs...

steelsnis
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
IMO, the punting situation can't fully be pinned on Berger. The drops by Holmes and Washington in the first half were critical in that they cost the offense another first down around the 35 or 40 yd lines. If those catches were made, even if the offense goes 3 and out, Berger is not punting while pinned deep in his own territory.

Plus the one time he punted from close to midfield, we let that fool pick it up and run 40 yard w/o being touched!

flippy
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Just a couple notes here:

-we drafted Sepulveda in the 4th round...Sam Koch was drafted in the 6th
-last year Sepulveda averaged 42.4 yards per punt with 28 inside the 20...and had a long of 59-------Berger's average is 1.6 yards per punt less, but has a longer punt this year as well
-The top punters in the league are as follows:
Donnie Jones, 7th round
Mat McBriar, undrafted
Shane Lechler, 5th round
Chris Kluwe, undrafted
Andy Lee, 6th round
Brett Kern, undrafted
Jon Ryan, undrafted
Mike Scifres, 5th round
Jason Baker, 7th round
Sam Koch, 6th round
There is not a top 10, nor top 15...maybe even more...punters drafted before or even where Daniel Sepulveda was drafted. The best were drafted way after him...or not drafted at all.
-Sepulveda might be better than Berger, but if he averaged the same ypp that he did last year he'd be sitting at 28th in the league for average by a punter. Not exactly spectacular.
-Interestingly enough the punters drafted before the 5th round have traditionally not been ad good as later round picks, or undrafted guys...with a few exceptions being Brad Maynard, Todd Sauerbraun, and that's about it.
-Considering where Sepulveda was drafted Brandon Fields was drafted in the 7th round and has a better punting average than Sepulveda.

I will give Sepulveda this much credit, not sure how much he alone deserves the credit though, his net punting average would put him at 16th in the NFL.

Punters are important...but saying it was the right move to draft one in the fourth...well the jury is still out on that, especially considering how all of the above kickers who are leading the league were drafted well after our own Sepulveda.

Just stating.

Sepulveda doesn't have the leg that was advertised.

But he's accurate.

I'd like a bigger leg to help the defense and help us change field position occassionally with an exceptional punt.

In Sepulveda's defense, he may improve. Tomlin did punt him to death last preseason to push him to his limit. Maybe he comes back way stronger because of it and has to work harder.

Lebsteel
12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I am definitely looking forward to Sepulveda and Mendenhall coming back next year as well as drafting a few better lineman. I think that will address some of the issues posted above concerning field position and running the ball.

phillyesq
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Berger hasn't seemed quite right since he got hurt and was released earlier this year. After the first shank, he seemed to do a much better job, but he still didn't seem as good as he was earlier in the year. I think that Ernster got another job after the Steelers released him, which says a lot about the poor quality of the punters on the FA market right now.

As long as Sepulvda comes back from his injury ok, he will be and should be the punter next year. He did an excellent job pinning opponents inside the 20 last year, and I'd expect that to continue. Spending money on a FA punter just doesn't make sense. Not when the team has a guy like Sepulvda waiting in the wings.

Opposing punters seem to have career days against the Steelers. The Ravens punter has been decent all year, but it seems like the Steelers have faced a lot of punters who have had their best day of the season.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
We tried to get Lee in FA and the 49ers matched because they know how important a punter is.

We needed a punter bad the year we drafted Sepulveda and he was the best one in the draft. Playing hindsight is 20/20 to justify a position of waiting offers nothing. We got who we wanted when we knew he was available. That is always a smart move no matter how much Monday Morning Quarterbacking you want to do after the fact.

Sorry but I'll take Shane Lechler and his big leg and accuracy putting the ball inside the 20 over a 4th rounder any day.

I am not saying Sepulveda is not going to turn out OK...but they spent a 4th rounder for a guy who averages around the bottom of the league in punts. Not exactly something that you stand back and marvel at.

Heck the year we drafted him there were 4-5 elite P on the market in FA:
Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

Actually...is Sauerbrun available now?

ANPSTEEL
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
fyi:

one of the primary reasons the steelers drafted sepulveda in the 4th (which btw, they traded up to get him) was the fact that they had 2 punters on their draft board-

jacksonville took the other punter with the 2nd pick in the 4th round.

2(101)Jacksonville (from Detroit through Baltimore) Adam Podlesh P MARYLAND

not trying to suggest taking a punter in the 4th is a great move- particularly when taking into account the 'trade up'...

just pointing out that j'ville forced the steelers hand, so to speak.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:51 PM
fyi:

one of the primary reasons the steelers drafted sepulveda in the 4th (which btw, they traded up to get him) was the fact that they had 2 punters on their draft board-

jacksonville took the other punter with the 2nd pick in the 4th round.

2(101)Jacksonville (from Detroit through Baltimore) Adam Podlesh P MARYLAND

not trying to suggest taking a punter in the 4th is a great move- particularly when taking into account the 'trade up'...

just pointing out that j'ville forced the steelers hand, so to speak.

And Adam Podlesh has not set the world on fire either.

snarky
12-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I see what you are saying but to play devil's advocate:

Looking at last year's stats the difference in the average net was about three yards between lechler and sepulveda but sepulveda had a higher ratio of punts inside the 20, a higher ratio of fair catches and a lower ratio of touchbacks. Given the strength of our D wouldn't it be better to give up three yards per punt for a punter who is better at pinning a team and better at preventing returns?

All in all, he might not have been worth the trade and the pick - but that is water under the bridge at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Sorry but I'll take Shane Lechler and his big leg and accuracy putting the ball inside the 20 over a 4th rounder any day.

I am not saying Sepulveda is not going to turn out OK...but they spent a 4th rounder for a guy who averages around the bottom of the league in punts. Not exactly something that you stand back and marvel at.

Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

If you recall, we signed Andy Lee that off-season...but since he was a restricted free agent, the Niners matched the deal and retained him.

ikestops85
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
You have to do a lot more indepth analysis than just looking at averages to determine the worth of your punter. Last year our offense was very productive (how I would love to see them get back there) so Sepulveda often was punting from midfield in so he couldn't kick all out. That limits his chances of having a higher gross average. Our coverage team was horrible last year so I'm sure they coached him on getting more hang time and not out kicking his coverage. That also limits the average so you really can't look at that and determine the punters worth.

On the flip side there were times where we needed that big leg and he didn't deliver. What he was, and we are definitely missing this year, is consistent. He rarely shanked and was superb in pinning the opposition deep in there own territory. Are there better punters in the league? Probably, but the guy won the Ray Guy award twice in college and there was a reason for it. If he can recover from this injury I think we will have a very good punter for years to come.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Well considering that if you look at the average position on the field where he punted from in relation to other punters who were at the top of the league you can see why he had so many punts inside the 20. Lechler was often kicking from around his own 25-30.

papillon
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM

:Bow :Bow :Bow

The Steelers had an area of need, made a minor trade to move into position to draft for need and got the Ray Guy award winner in the process. How can you complain about getting a starter for the next 10-12 years in the 4th round and giving up a 6th rounder to get him?

It was a good deal on draft day and it will be a good deal for the next 10-12 years regardless of who the Steelers "could have drafted" in his place.

I'll take the accuracy over the leg all day; three yards in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant, but, the lack of touchbacks and punts inside the 20 are important.

The net yesterday was about 30 yards and that's not good; Berger's punts were returnable.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Berger averaged 47 yards a punt last game.. minus the return yards...

not bad.. first punt was bad though...

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

After the fact analysis. Unfortunately you haven't shared your crystal ball or powers of seeing into the future with the front office. You aren't much of a fan for being so greedy and selfish. Did you flunk sharing in kindergarten? :wink:

The selection of Sepulveda will prove to be a solid pick. As Pap said how often do you get a 10 year player in the 4th round.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I see what you are saying but to play devil's advocate:

Looking at last year's stats the difference in the average net was about three yards between lechler and sepulveda but sepulveda had a higher ratio of punts inside the 20, a higher ratio of fair catches and a lower ratio of touchbacks. Given the strength of our D wouldn't it be better to give up three yards per punt for a punter who is better at pinning a team and better at preventing returns?

All in all, he might not have been worth the trade and the pick - but that is water under the bridge at this point.

Also I am just saying that if you look at some of the other great punters they were not taken above the 4th so that 4th round pick may have been a little high.

That was the point of my post.

And if you gave me a choice between Lechler and Sep I take Lechler.

There is more to having punts downed inside the 20 than just the punter.

And when we're backed up against our goaline...I'll take Lechler booming punts all day.

But thats not what my post was about anyways.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Berger averaged 47 yards a punt last game.. minus the return yards...

not bad.. first punt was bad though...

There was a low snap and a bit of pressure on the first one, though. That is forgiveable.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

After the fact analysis. Unfortunately you haven't shared your crystal ball or powers of seeing into the future with the front office. You aren't much of a fan for being so greedy and selfish. Did you flunk sharing in kindergarten? :wink:

The selection of Sepulveda will prove to be a solid pick. As Pap said how often do you get a 10 year player in the 4th round.

Well hell many of you guys dont even share my thoughts on the draft let alone the front office...all I'll say is that Jon Beason vs. Lawrence Timmons is proving me correct...Lamarr Woodley is proving me correct...and so is Kendal Langford and others.

I just wish the FO would sometimes take more notice of me... :lol: :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

Well hell many of you guys dont even share my thoughts on the draft let alone the front office...all I'll say is that Jon Beason vs. Lawrence Timmons is proving me correct...Lamarr Woodley is proving me correct...and so is Kendal Langford and others.

I was right with you on Woodley and Langford. I wasn't overly enthralled with either Timmons or Beason (unless we traded down...I preferred to trade up for Okoye or Carriker). I must admit that I was a guy who was big on the drafting of McBean, though. :HeadBanger :lol:

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM

The Steelers had an area of need, made a minor trade to move into position to draft for need and got the Ray Guy award winner in the process. How can you complain about getting a starter for the next 10-12 years in the 4th round and giving up a 6th rounder to get him?

It was a good deal on draft day and it will be a good deal for the next 10-12 years regardless of who the Steelers "could have drafted" in his place.

I'll take the accuracy over the leg all day; three yards in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant, but, the lack of touchbacks and punts inside the 20 are important.

The net yesterday was about 30 yards and that's not good; Berger's punts were returnable.

Pappy

Lechler had THREE punts less that were downed inside the 20 last year...but I guarantee you his big leg would have been helpful in other games...like the game I was at vs the Jets last year...a better punt in overtime and we have a better shot.

Furthermore, Lechler's NET average last year was 5 yards more than Sepulveda's.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Donnie Jones
Andy Lee
Chris Kluwe
Mat McBriar
Kyle Larson
Todd Sauerbrun

I was right with you on Woodley and Langford. I wasn't overly enthralled with either Timmons or Beason (unless we traded down...I preferred to trade up for Okoye or Carriker). I must admit that I was a guy who was big on the drafting of McBean, though. :HeadBanger :lol:

I said Beason would be about as good as Willis...and I think he's proven to be BETTER than Willis.

Could you imagine a LB corps of harrison-farrior-beason-woodley instead of Foote in there?

I was also really liked what BigPlay Wlliam Gay brought to the table.

papillon
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Pappy

Lechler had THREE punts less that were downed inside the 20 last year...but I guarantee you his big leg would have been helpful in other games...like the game I was at vs the Jets last year...a better punt in overtime and we have a better shot.

There are always exceptions and better options; I guess that I just don't have an issue making a move to get a player that will serve the Steelers well for the next 10-12 years (hopefully). Like any other position in football it takes time to get up to speed in the NFL. Lets see what happens next year before the Sepulveda pick is declared a bust or dumb.

Papillon

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Pappy

Lechler is a 5 time All-Pro selection. Sepulveda was a rookie last year. It's somewhat unfair to make that comparison.

It would be like saying that Matt Ryan had a good rookie season, but he is no Tom Brady.

snarky
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Just to clarify, according to SI.com Lechler's net average last years was 3.2 yards better than Sepulveda.

Lechler had 34.2% of his punts go inside the twenty.
Sepulveda had 41.2% of his inside the twenty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... _PUNT.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2007/punting/0_byYDS_PER_PUNT.html)

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Just to clarify, according to SI.com Lechler's net average last years was 3.2 yards better than Sepulveda.

Lechler had 34.2% of his punts go inside the twenty.
Sepulveda had 41.2% of his inside the twenty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... _PUNT.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2007/punting/0_byYDS_PER_PUNT.html)

HAHAHAHAHA...I compared Lechler's net average to Berger's not Sepulveda's :lol: