PDA

View Full Version : These guys drive me nuts

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Three guys this season are giving me ulcers.

1. Max Starks--one week he looks like a good player and one week he doesn't. Can he get better with experience. I hope so because I'm betting he is coming back.

2. Nate Washington--just maddening. I started to come around to his side until yesterday. The old inconsistency was back and does anyone really want a game deciding catch relying on him making a catch where he has to fight a DB for the ball. he just can't seem to catch unless he is wide open. I hope he is gone next year for my mental health.

3. Willi Colon--weakest player on the OL IMO. He needs to be moved inside because he is totally incapable of handling speed rushers.

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Nate drives me mad...

my wife who doesn't watch the games but only hears me yelling at the TV, said yesterday..."that Nate guy sounds horrible"

But in the 4th Quarter she must have been confused b/c i was yelling, "Go Nate, Go Nate!"

:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

flippy
12-15-2008, 11:09 AM
There is no player I love and hate as much as Nate.

Eventually though, Ben needs to keep going to him cause he's the only guy that consistently gets separation on every play. Does he need glasses?

I've been happy with Starks. He's actually outperformed expectations.

Willie Colon on the other hand is another story. I really think we're a RT away from a pretty good line.

MeetJoeGreene
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Eventually though, Ben needs to keep going to him cause he's the only guy that consistently gets separation on every play. Does he need glasses?

Willie Colon on the other hand is another story. I really think we're a RT away from a pretty good line.

Maybe if Marvell quits spasming, we put him at RT for the last game and Super Bowl run. He is better than Colon.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM

1. Max Starks--one week he looks like a good player and one week he doesn't. Can he get better with experience. I hope so because I'm betting he is coming back.

2. Nate Washington--just maddening. I started to come around to his side until yesterday. The old inconsistency was back and does anyone really want a game deciding catch relying on him making a catch where he has to fight a DB for the ball. he just can't seem to catch unless he is wide open. I hope he is gone next year for my mental health.

3. Willi Colon--weakest player on the OL IMO. He needs to be moved inside because he is totally incapable of handling speed rushers.

1) Disagree on Max. He has been solid since being reinserted into the lineup. He plays the toughest OL position, has faced some of the top defenders in the league, and held his own. I dug up a stat today which blew me away. We have - or are going to - play 7 games against Ds ranked in the top 7. Incredible considering we are #1, which means we play them all including Baltimore twice. Max has played many of them and he is far from the weak link.

2) Yeah, I'm back and forth on Nate. Makes the drive killing drop on one play then comes up with some big catches on the winning drive. His game was similar to Ben's yesterday.

3) The other side of the line, the other side of the coin. I've been railing against Colon for two years now - since he first beat out Max out of TC last year. This has driven me nuts, and my biggest complaint about the Tomlin regime. Not only has Starks outperformed him, but it isn't even close. He has been awful and has no business on the field.

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

1) Disagree on Max. He has been solid since being reinserted into the lineup. He plays the toughest OL position, has faced some of the top defenders in the league, and held his own. I dug up a stat today which blew me away. We have - or are going to - play 7 games against Ds ranked in the top 7. Incredible considering we are #1, which means we play them all including Baltimore twice. Max has played many of them and he is far from the weak link.

2) Yeah, I'm back and forth on Nate. Makes the drive killing drop on one play then comes up with some big catches on the winning drive. His game was similar to Ben's yesterday.

3) The other side of the line, the other side of the coin. I've been railing against Colon for two years now - since he first beat out Max out of TC last year. This has driven me nuts, and my biggest complaint about the Tomlin regime. Not only has Starks outperformed him, but it isn't even close. He has been awful and has no business on the field.

I'd prefer to see Essex at RT over Colon. Heck bring back Capizzi. He can't be worse.

papillon
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM

I wonder if the Steelers will consider Marvel at RT to finish this year if he gets healthy for the playoff run? I doubt that they would sit Colon, it's just not their style, but, I wonder if Marvel could play on the right? JPN can you help a brother out with this question? Pfelix? All you ex o-lineman we need your insight. :Bow :tt2

Pappy

mshifko
12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
willie colon is by far the worst OL we have...unfortunately, i saw promise in him after his rookie year...i think that he regressed so much and when he's out there playing he's pressing...he getting called for holding penalties, false starts, etc...

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
willie colon is by far the worst OL we have...unfortunately, i saw promise in him after his rookie year...i think that he regressed so much and when he's out there playing he's pressing...he getting called for holding penalties, false starts, etc...

He's a guard playing Tackle. I think his false starts come from fear of being beaten on the outside. He's got a bellly. Tackles shouldnt have bellies

Ghost
12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Nate washington is anti-clutch. Sure he came up big, but it wasn't anything a lot of NFL WR's could and would have done. And to me that's it - he's too inconsistent and drops balls that should be caught and while he does make some catches and is fast; he's never spectacular.

And I think Holmes needs to stop hanging out with him, stop high fiving him, shaking his hand, etc. as the 'dropsies' can apparently be based on...

Steel Life
12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Give credit where credit is due. Max may not be pretty, but he's getting the job done. I agree with the idea of moving him back to the right & moving Colon to guard. The only problem is, what to do with Stapleton? The guy's been solid too...

Nate only had one legit drop yesterday, the rest were attributed to either the defense making a play or Ben not making a good throw. Nate's coming on strong & the best part is that he will have DC's planning for him. Santonio is the one driving me nuts...call me crazy, but I like my 1st-round WR's to play up to their status.

pittpete
12-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Colon must be doing Tomlins daughter or something.
Only reason I can see why he is starting.
He is a jumpy turnstile who gave up 11 friggin sacks last year.
He isnt fairing any better this year

Oviedo
12-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Given that his kids are very young that is a sick statement.

SidSmythe
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Given that his kids are very young that is a sick statement.

Yeah, ya weirdo!!!