PDA

View Full Version : Not to take anything away from Tomlin

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Not to take anything away from Tomlin

Great 1st two seasons ... amazing and I think he'll only get better.

But Dick Lebeau is the MAN!!!
He might be my favorite coach of all time, even over Cowher.

I hope he never retires and lives to be 100...like Joe Pa.

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM

But bad word Lebeau is the MAN!!!

A good leader lets good people do what they are good at. LeBeau is being successful because Tomlin lets him do his thing. In no way does that minimize Tomlin if anything it shows how good he is by not having ego in a ego centric business. That is called leadership and Tomlin has it in spades.

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 10:46 AM

But bad word Lebeau is the MAN!!!

A good leader lets good people do what they are good at. LeBeau is being successful because Tomlin lets him do his thing. In no way does that minimize Tomlin if anything it shows how good he is by not having ego in a ego centric business. That is called leadership and Tomlin has it in spades.

Totally agree ... it takes a great leader to let someone greater than you take over and that's what he did.

I really think Tomlin focuses on preparation and during the game on managing what's going on, on the field. Now he needs an OC whom can take that over.

snarky
12-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I think part of the thinking on the Tomlin hire was to bring in somebody who was young and smart. Somebody who could learn from Lebeau during the last few years (gotta figure he retires within the next five years).

It strikes me as being much like a corporate transition to a new CEO. When a CEO retires there is often a period of up to two years where the successor works side by side with the outgoing CEO.

The Steelers had a good thing going and bringing in somebody like Shottenheimer would have been too disruptive to the downline coaching staff. Tomlin is a good fit in a lot of ways and I am glad he is letting Bad Word do his thing.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I can recall my favorite part of the Tomlin hiring was that he was retaining Lebeau. That was key for me anyway. And I was excited that Tomlin was saying the right things at the time. And he's lived up to them...

williar
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
With all due respect to Lebeau, his defensive history has been well documented. As we know Tomlin is a defensive oriented coach, that is probably one of the reasons he was hired. This 2008 version of the "steel curtain" looks different to me than from other Lebeau defenses we have been accustomed to seeing, paticularly under the Cowher regime. In the past it was more of a bend but don't break philosophy, and our secondary was always suspect and regularly got toasted when playing high octane offenses. This year, this defense seems to be playing at a consistently high level, with the confidence that they can shut down any type offense at anytime.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I can recall my favorite part of the Tomlin hiring was that he was retaining Lebeau. That was key for me anyway. And I was excited that Tomlin was saying the right things at the time. And he's lived up to them...

me too, there is no way i think that if tomlin wanted he could of gotten rid of lebeau or anything, but as soon as i heard lebeau was staying i was ecstatic. how is he not in the hof yet?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

me too, there is no way i think that if tomlin wanted he could of gotten rid of lebeau or anything, but as soon as i heard lebeau was staying i was ecstatic. how is he not in the hof yet?

Somebody said other post that assistant coaches can't make it in? Travesty!

But he apparently has a zillion interceptions as a player, and so he might make it in that way.

D Rock
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I think part of the thinking on the Tomlin hire was to bring in somebody who was young and smart. Somebody who could learn from Lebeau during the last few years (gotta figure he retires within the next five years).

It strikes me as being much like a corporate transition to a new CEO. When a CEO retires there is often a period of up to two years where the successor works side by side with the outgoing CEO.

The Steelers had a good thing going and bringing in somebody like Shottenheimer would have been too disruptive to the downline coaching staff. Tomlin is a good fit in a lot of ways and I am glad he is letting Bad Word do his thing.

who is that second girl in your signature Snarky? And what is that pic from?

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
With all due respect to Lebeau, his defensive history has been well documented. As we know Tomlin is a defensive oriented coach, that is probably one of the reasons he was hired. This 2008 version of the "steel curtain" looks different to me than from other Lebeau defenses we have been accustomed to seeing, paticularly under the Cowher regime. In the past it was more of a bend but don't break philosophy, and our secondary was always suspect and regularly got toasted when playing high octane offenses. This year, this defense seems to be playing at a consistently high level, with the confidence that they can shut down any type offense at anytime.

I have no doubt that Tomlin has had some influence particularly in the secondary which is playing better than it has in years.

snarky
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
D Rock, her name is Irene Jacob and she was (as you can see) mighty fine when she was young.

The pic is a promo from the film Red (Three Colors) -- which I would highly recommend for anybody who enjoys foreign cinema.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
D Rock, her name is Irene Jacob and she was (as you can see) mighty fine when she was young.

The pic is a promo from the film Red (Three Colors) -- which I would highly recommend for anybody who enjoys foreign cinema.

She looks somewhat Marisa Tomei-ish.

snarky
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM

It's a good thing we aren't on the trib board or I might have to declare a fatwa on you for that statement. :D :D :D :D :D

I am not exactly a Marisa Tomei fan.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM

It's a good thing we aren't on the trib board or I might have to declare a fatwa on you for that statement. :D :D :D :D :D

I am not exactly a Marisa Tomei fan.

I bet costanza is (just on the basis of the name...he has to be, right?)

feltdizz
12-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the difference with our 3-4 really is Tomlin...

It really looks like we are playing under control this year...

Tomlin being a Dungy disciple and a cover 2 guy really helped our DB play. That was what always killed us before.. our DB's giving up big ones.. and I actually saw the DB's inch up a few times this year.

ikestops85
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
:Agree
Tomlin seems to have a special relationship with the DBs. You would have to go back to the Steelers of the 70s to find our DBs playing this well as a unit. I love Bad Word as our D-Coordinator but I definitely think Tomlin brings something to that mix and Bad Word is all too happy to incorporate it.

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM

$$$

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

I have no doubt that Tomlin has had some influence particularly in the secondary which is playing better than it has in years.

I don't ever remember this complete of a secondary. Woodson and Lake was close.

skyhawk
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I think the difference with our 3-4 really is Tomlin...

It really looks like we are playing under control this year...

Tomlin being a Dungy disciple and a cover 2 guy really helped our DB play. That was what always killed us before.. our DB's giving up big ones.. and I actually saw the DB's inch up a few times this year.

They are certainly inching up a bit! They have more confidence and skill now. Something that was lacking with Taylor. I now say he is a top ten CB. Especially if he keeps catching footballs.