PDA

View Full Version : Should an 8-8 team make the playoffs???

SidSmythe
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
It pains me to think the Broncos could make the playoffs at 8-8 and host a home game.

They are terrible.

I would be for a new rule.

You must be at least 9-7 to make the playoffs as a division winner.
I think 8-8 should disqualify you from playoffs if there are other teams in the conference w/ better records.

stlrz d
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I agree with Dan Rooney on this one...there has to be emphasis on winning the division so if you win you are in regardless of record.

NKySteeler
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
It pains me to think the Broncos could make the playoffs at 8-8 and host a home game.

...They are just pidgeons for the taking, IMO..... :wink:

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm cool with it. Winning division games isn't easy even if your division opponents are sorry. They build they're teams to play against your team which makes it rough. What else would be the point of winning the division? To wear those goofy hats? Win the division and your in should stay even if they do it by getting 6-10.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I agree with Dan Rooney on this one...there has to be emphasis on winning the division so if you win you are in regardless of record.

IF you make it so that a division winner does not automatically get in then what you have is something like the BCS in my mind.

How can you do strength of schedule etc. For example in year's past the AFC North and NFC East have been really really brutal...if someone comes out of those divisions with worse records and thus dont make it then you might be eliminating some really good teams. I mean realistically this year if you had looked at our schedule and the schedule for the teams in our division on paper it would have been really tough. If it had worked out to be that tough in actuality and everyone was looking at 8-8, 7-9 and so forth then realistically it doesnt mean those teams aren't good...its that they played an insane schedule.

I dont think the NFL should get into the SOS battle.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 02:42 AM

They are terrible.

I would be for a new rule.

You must be at least 9-7 to make the playoffs as a division winner.
I think 8-8 should disqualify you from playoffs if there are other teams in the conference w/ better records.
yes, an 8-8 team should... at one point, we thought our scheudle could net an 8-8 playoff team from our division....

it depends on who you've played... if you faced the pats (with brady), colts, cowboys, giants, redskins, ravens/steelers, eagles, titans, jags and texans (as they're playing now), it's not the same as if you've faced teh chaiefs, broncos, raiders division.... it's fair to have a winner in each division individually because they play like scheudles.

AkronSteel
12-15-2008, 03:24 AM
I think Denver may win a playoff game! You never know? They are just so up and down, they can play with anyone....well just about anyone, on any given Sunday! Plus they will have a home game and Denver is never an easy place to play! Maybe I would just like to see them come to the Burgh for the divisional round of the playoffs?

:2c

MeetJoeGreene
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I think they should make the playoffs.

But the SEEDING should be by pure record.

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM

i agree that is the way too go. it is rare in the nfl for a division to be as bad as the afc west. it happens every season in mlb when a 500 team wins a division. its so strange to me that the chargers are mathmatically still in contention

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

I could go for that.

Acero
12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Cardinals are already in and they could wind up 8-8 and hosting the 11-5 Falcons (theoretically).

I agree that winning the division should get you in, but also agree that home team should be the team with a better record, regardless if you're in as a wildcard or division champ.

If the season ended today, this would be the wildcard round:

NFC
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-5) at 3. Minnesota Vikings (9-5)
5. Dallas Cowboys (9-5) at 4. Arizona Cardinals (8-6)

AFC
6. Baltimore Ravens (9-5) at 3. New York Jets (9-5)
5. Indianapolis Colts (10-4) at 4. Denver Broncos (8-6)

Colts and Cowboys SHOULD be the home team on those games.