PDA

View Full Version : Review Time: Message Board Statements

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I'll start, it's always good to review these. Please add to this so I can enjoy our moment. These aren't exact quotes from anyone just things I've read all over the net.

-we won't win more than 3 games this season with our schedule
-the game has passed our D Coordinator time to find a new one
-Ben won't last past week 4 (I believed this one)
-we won't make the playoffs
-Tomlin will get fired at the end of the season

blah blah blah...

I LOVE IT

11-3 and counting
Division win again
bye in the playoffs

mshifko
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
haha i love it!!!!

NKySteeler
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I'll be one of the first to "man-up".... I had originally said 10-6 or 9-7, so I obviously underestimated this squad....

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I'll be one of the first to "man-up".... I had originally said 10-6 or 9-7, so I obviously underestimated this squad....

No need to man up, we've all made statements at one point and time about the team. Heck earlier on in the season I was actually backing Bruce Arians :oops: :oops: :oops:

These are just funny in hindsight.

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

I think Ben has been helped by a little more time off around Thanksgiving giving him time to heal his shoulder...at least a LITTLE.

A healthy Ben is a top 2 QB in the NFL.

A severely hurt Ben is little more helpful than Leftwich...BUT...hopefully he gets even more healthy in the playoffs.

D Rock
12-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

I think Ben has been helped by a little more time off around Thanksgiving giving him time to heal his shoulder...at least a LITTLE.

A severely hurt Ben is little more helpful than Leftwich...BUT...hopefully he gets even more healthy in the playoffs.

If we lose to Tennessee then there will be nothing to gain by playing anyone in the Cleveland game. Take that game off and then the first round bye and you get a very healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

If we beat Tennessee and want to secure home field throughout, then Leftwich and some of our backups are good enough to come in and beat the Browns. Take that game off and then the first round bye and you get a very healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

:Boobs

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Stanz,

Nothing beats these predictions by some of the Pro Football Weekly Editors...I posted this when they were published on their website on or around Sept 1st right before the season. I had no problem with our team being picked to not finish first, but some of these were just ridiculous:

Really Hub Arukush? Wrong direction huh?

AFC North

1. Cleveland — DBs scary, but all those weapons on offense. Don’t be surprised if Quinn ends up on field.
2. Pittsburgh — Looks to me like a club headed in wrong direction.
3. Cincinnati — At what point do you stop looking at all the bad actors and focus on the coach?
4. Baltimore — Hard to doubt Ozzie Newsome, but trading up for Joe Flacco? How is this club better?

Keith Schleiden, editor in chief:

1. Cleveland — Do these Dawgs have more bark than bite? Nope. They’re the real deal.
2. Cincinnati — Bengals will wind up with a familiar 8-8 record.
3. Pittsburgh — Here’s hoping this isn’t the final year of Steelers ownership for the Rooney family.
4. Baltimore — Too many questions on offense for John Harbaugh’s club to surprise.

Smart man Mike Holbrook:

1. Pittsburgh — Need O-line to cut down on sacks allowed, Troy Polamalu to stay healthy.
2. Cleveland — Not a fan of Derek Anderson; want to see them prove last season was start of a trend.
3. Cincinnati — Success again will rest on Carson Palmer’s powerful arm, but he only can do so much.
4. Baltimore — New coaching staff a plus, but QB situation not good enough to lift team out of cellar.

Same with Dan Arkush:

1. Pittsburgh — “Big Ben” has what it takes to overcome tough schedule and carry team into playoffs.
2. Cleveland — They’ll be in the hunt, but I really think “sexy pick” Browns are greatly overrated.
3. Cincinnati — Defense must be a lot better for Bengals to contend. Lewis could finally lose job if they don’t.
4. Baltimore — Offense looks like it could be a major work in progress.

Die Nolan Nawrocki!

1. Cleveland — More big bodies on defense, bevy of offensive playmakers help Crennel capture division.
2. Baltimore — Questions at QB and protecting passer could negate coaching talent, aggressive defense.
3. Cincinnati — Ownership is its own biggest enemy and will struggle to field .500 team regardless of coach.
4. Pittsburgh — NFL’s toughest schedule, declining O-line, soft backfield bring Tomlin’s sophomore slump.

And you Eric Edholm:

1. Cincinnati — Sure, a few things have to break right, but I have a feeling they’ll surprise people.
2. Cleveland — The hype doesn’t quite lead up to wins as defense is still a step behind the offense.
3. Pittsburgh — Nasty schedule, questions on O-line have me second-guessing Steelers’ potential.
4. Baltimore — Veterans, good coaching could lead to a competitive team to watch … in 2009.

Theres more douchebaggery but I didn't feel like continuing...

costanza2k1
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Stanz,

Nothing beats these predictions by some of the Pro Football Weekly Editors...I posted this when they were published on their website on or around Sept 1st right before the season. I had no problem with our team being picked to not finish first, but some of these were just ridiculous:

Really Hub Arukush? Wrong direction huh?
[quote]AFC North

1. Cleveland — DBs scary, but all those weapons on offense. Don’t be surprised if Quinn ends up on field.
2. Pittsburgh — Looks to me like a club headed in wrong direction.
3. Cincinnati — At what point do you stop looking at all the bad actors and focus on the coach?
4. Baltimore — Hard to doubt Ozzie Newsome, but trading up for Joe Flacco? How is this club better?

Keith Schleiden, editor in chief:

1. Cleveland — Do these Dawgs have more bark than bite? Nope. They’re the real deal.
2. Cincinnati — Bengals will wind up with a familiar 8-8 record.
3. Pittsburgh — Here’s hoping this isn’t the final year of Steelers ownership for the Rooney family.
4. Baltimore — Too many questions on offense for John Harbaugh’s club to surprise.

Smart man Mike Holbrook:

1. Pittsburgh — Need O-line to cut down on sacks allowed, Troy Polamalu to stay healthy.
2. Cleveland — Not a fan of Derek Anderson; want to see them prove last season was start of a trend.
3. Cincinnati — Success again will rest on Carson Palmer’s powerful arm, but he only can do so much.
4. Baltimore — New coaching staff a plus, but QB situation not good enough to lift team out of cellar.

Same with Dan Arkush:

1. Pittsburgh — “Big Ben” has what it takes to overcome tough schedule and carry team into playoffs.
2. Cleveland — They’ll be in the hunt, but I really think “sexy pick” Browns are greatly overrated.
3. Cincinnati — Defense must be a lot better for Bengals to contend. Lewis could finally lose job if they don’t.
4. Baltimore — Offense looks like it could be a major work in progress.

Die Nolan Nawrocki!

1. Cleveland — More big bodies on defense, bevy of offensive playmakers help Crennel capture division.
2. Baltimore — Questions at QB and protecting passer could negate coaching talent, aggressive defense.
3. Cincinnati — Ownership is its own biggest enemy and will struggle to field .500 team regardless of coach.
4. Pittsburgh — NFL’s toughest schedule, declining O-line, soft backfield bring Tomlin’s sophomore slump.

And you Eric Edholm:

1. Cincinnati — Sure, a few things have to break right, but I have a feeling they’ll surprise people.
2. Cleveland — The hype doesn’t quite lead up to wins as defense is still a step behind the offense.
3. Pittsburgh — Nasty schedule, questions on O-line have me second-guessing Steelers’ potential.
4. Baltimore — Veterans, good coaching could lead to a competitive team to watch … in 2009.

Theres more douchebaggery but I didn't feel like continuing...[/quote:35bfhyhp]

I love it! Classic stuff.

:Beer

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
One advantage of being a Kool-Aide drinking Paulie-Yanna like me is never having to say you're sorry for underestimating the Steelers!

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

If we lose to Tennessee then there will be nothing to gain by playing anyone in the Cleveland game. Take that game off and then the first round bye and you get a very healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

If we beat Tennessee and want to secure home field throughout, then Leftwich and some of our backups are good enough to come in and beat the Browns. Take that game off and then the first round bye and you get a very healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

I think that we play TN and if its close/winnable cool. Against Cleveland play the starters at the beginning of the game. Let Harrison get his shot at the sack record...let Ward try to get 1000 yards...let the OL play the whole game...they need to stay a cohesive group. Ben plays a half...maybe.

If we lose to TN then do the same thing. I dont think the gameplan should change.

Listen we have not been very good coming off bye weeks in our past...giving us MORE time off might not be the best idea.

Getting healthy might not be a bad idea though.

Im looking forward to maybe being able to have an OL of

Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Stapleton-SMITH

If Smith gets healthy or even with Smith at LT. Getting Keisel back would be nice too.

Too much time off is not going to help this team though I am afraid.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

I think that we play TN and if its close/winnable cool. Against Cleveland play the starters at the beginning of the game. Let Harrison get his shot at the sack record...let Ward try to get 1000 yards...let the OL play the whole game...they need to stay a cohesive group. Ben plays a half...maybe.

If we lose to TN then do the same thing. I dont think the gameplan should change.

Listen we have not been very good coming off bye weeks in our past...giving us MORE time off might not be the best idea.

If Smith gets healthy or even with Smith at LT. Getting Keisel back would be nice too.

Teams that sit all their starters that last week because they wrapped up a spot in the playoffs seem to always come out flat. Play the guys unless they are hurt...get a nice lead and then bench everyone. I don't think you bench them altogether and throw their routine off...

Jooser
12-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, I for one have to own up the fact that I thought it was a good idea to let Ben sit and heal up earlier this season. And yeah, I still get aggrevated with some of his boneheadedness sometimes. So I own up, that's how I am. Sorry for my negativity sometimes, but if we're not winning by 40, I'm not satisfied! I love Ben and always have, just throw it AWAY! LOL. Just kidding...sort of.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:18 AM
[quote=costanza2k1]Forgot this one.

Bench Ben.

Teams that sit all their starters that last week because they wrapped up a spot in the playoffs seem to always come out flat. Play the guys unless they are hurt...get a nice lead and then bench everyone. I don't think you bench them altogether and throw their routine off...[/quote:9rugnwit]

I personally would play the starters most of the game except Ben maybe 2.5-3 quarters b/c the Browns really like to cheap shot him.

The rest of the O can come out and be fine with Leftwich for a quarter/1.5 quarters.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
my thoughts exactly.... :Cheers

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I mean think about it...The steelers will have the week before everyone else plays (1 week) and the week before their own game. That's basically two weeks...one week completely off and one week of normal preparation...although I doubt we get the whole week off that'd be stupid on the proportions of Dallas last year...BUT...thats plenty of time without giving them TOO much extra time at the end of the season.

Parker i would give time off...let him get more healthy.

I'd love to see Mendenhall back, but he's on IR so he's done...but whatever.

Starlifter
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
it's too bad the trib board crashed cause I wanted to go back to my pre-season predictions. I had the steelers at 11-5, 10-6 at the worst and the division title. I had the stains at 4-12. while i like to think i'm a genius, the reality is the pretty much every year i predict 11-5............. :ratsuck

Djfan
12-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I have the worst track record of any predictor, but I did predict 13-3, honest! I even wrote it down to challenge my Father-In-Law because he predicted 6-10. Yes, he's a Steelers fan.

I win (I think!).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey, for all of the bad comments posted about the Steelers, at least a couple of them thought we'd win the division. Almost everyone had Baltimore last. That is some bad predicting.

BigBen2112
12-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Hey, for all of the bad comments posted about the Steelers, at least a couple of them thought we'd win the division. Almost everyone had Baltimore last. That is some bad predicting.

I had it right. I said Flacco would be a good enough QB for that team and they'd be better than the turds.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2008, 02:33 AM
that's where i had us, too... and we could easily be there... we're squeaking by and i'm really not feeling good about these wins...

i'd rather we go no huddle the entire game... we'd score 50.

kennyes
12-15-2008, 05:44 AM
it's too bad the trib board crashed cause I wanted to go back to my pre-season predictions. I had the steelers at 11-5, 10-6 at the worst and the division title. I had the stains at 4-12. while i like to think i'm a genius, the reality is the pretty much every year i predict 11-5............. :ratsuck

Same here. I said 11-5 but kinda sided with 10-6 thinking conservatively. The Trib would also be entertaining because of the doom and gloomer d1cks making their excuses week in and week out on why we still suck... :Blah

AngryAsian
12-15-2008, 06:41 AM
My prediction pre-season: 12-4 with the division crown.... I have a 1 game cushion, but never dreamed we could place as the #1 seed in the conference. Kudos to Tomlin and crew for preparing this team to Championship calibre.

Iron Shiek
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
that's where i had us, too... and we could easily be there... we're squeaking by and i'm really not feeling good about these wins...

i'd rather we go no huddle the entire game... we'd score 50.

Yeah seriously. Why can't Arians or someone just have some kind of sense of urgency like theres a minute left all game, and rush ben when calling in the play and act like his hair is on fire all game? That could work...

Steeler Shades
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
that's where i had us, too... and we could easily be there... .
I also had us at 9-7. I'm glad that I was wrong and we did better than I expected. 8)

papillon
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, I for one have to own up the fact that I thought it was a good idea to let Ben sit and heal up earlier this season. And yeah, I still get aggrevated with some of his boneheadedness sometimes. So I own up, that's how I am. Sorry for my negativity sometimes, but if we're not winning by 40, I'm not satisfied! I love Ben and always have, just throw it AWAY! LOL. Just kidding...sort of.

I was also a "give Ben time to get healthy" believer and I stand by that right now as well. There was a time this season that a week off to heal could have been an elixir for Ben, rather than have him in the game and srtuggling. If you declare him out during the week due to injury, you're not benching him to the public eye, but, you are getting him some needed rest and healing time.

As I've said all along, the Steelers go where Ben Roethlisberger takes them.

Pappy