PDA

View Full Version : Arians' Gameplan

NorthCoast
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't want to take anything away from this great win. We knew it was going to be ugly and it was a Medusa. This offense makes plays when it has to.

But I have to say the Arians' gameplan is one of the most predictable I have witnessed in a long time. Sitting here with my buddy, I would called the play when they lined up before the snap. I ended up calling 7 out of 11 correctly. The sad part, I'm no defensive genius. We won despite the playcalling. How can you not call Miller's number a half dozen times in this game? And passes to the RB Parker instead of Moore?? Arians just seems to obviously to the talent he has, or refuses to use it in a way that maximizes it. The big question: who was making the calls at the end of the game to completely change the pace? Was it Ben or Arians? And why didn't they use it earlier in the game?

Once again, the D bailed the O out giving up only field goals on very short fields for B-more's offense. This D is one of the best I have witnessed in a long, long time.

Unfortunately, since we keep winning we can be pretty certain Arians will not be removed from the staff at the end of the year.

mshifko
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
if we weren't winning, there is no way this guy would make it through the season...

arians is so predictable, like you mentioned...he doesn't make adjustments to this struggling running game...he runs 20 yard routes on 3rd and short...he's just not a good OC...

but i cannot complain too much, we're winning...but he better figure out that FWP needs a lead blocker

Steel Life
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Ben threw 40 passes today & at no point did we dominate offensively. It's clear Tomlin needs to re-think Arians in the off-season. We have no running game, Ben is getting killed & we are depending on the defense to keep us in games...what are we? The Ravens?

NKySteeler
12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Arians needs to be gone after the season.... I don't care whether we win every game including the SB.... We are winning IN SPITE of him....

No adjustments. Predictable. Stubborn when it comes to a lead blocker.

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Arians stinks, we moved the ball well when Ben called his plays in the no huddle. I agree with NKy, can is butt whether we win the big one or not.

stlrz d
12-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I think the words "scatter shot" best describe an Arians game plan.

Steel Life
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Arians needs to be gone after the season.... I don't care whether we win every game including the SB.... We are winning IN SPITE of him....

No adjustments. Predictable. Stubborn when it comes to a lead blocker.

Agreed...on all points - call the moving company!

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I think the playcalling is a big reason, besides the OL problems, for our struggles offensively.

We have a couple big (well big for us) runs and then we come RIGHT back and run it again at that insanely good defense and LOSE yardage. That happened THREE times. That is STUPID. A defense like Balt's is going to make sure they dont get beat like that two times in a row...just like ours. Get a good run then pass the next time to give a shot at a decent play. Running two times in a row has only lost us yardage.

Time to put in a FB and restructure this OL.

This offense has gone DOWNHILL since Arians took over without a doubt. Our YPC for runs is down, and its not just b/c of the OL.

Time to bring back the fullback...improve the OL...and get rid of Arians.

stlrz d
12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I recall a point in the game where Simms said, "We talked to Bruce Arians about ___ (I can't remember what) and he said, 'Nope, we are sticking with it'."

Anyone remember what they were talking about?

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I recall a point in the game where Simms said, "We talked to Bruce Arians about ___ (I can't remember what) and he said, 'Nope, we are sticking with it'."

Short yardage runs.

They were talking about the struggles our O has in 3-1 and 4-1 and short-goaline downs etc.

He's horrible.

Leper Friend
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM

No adjustments. Predictable. Stubborn when it comes to a lead blocker.That's the shame of it,they are winning in spite of the offense at times. With how great this defense is,the offense is equally bad at times.

NKySteeler
12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I think the words "scatter shot" best describe an Arians game plan.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mshifko
12-14-2008, 10:48 PM
with good nfl players, there is no reason why you cannot pick up a 3rd and 1 running the football...why try the fancy stuff on 3rd and short? pound it up the gut with our running back...run your halfback iso with a FB, it's there...

our offensive line isn't great, but they can get push...they just struggle with this zone blocking crap because we didn't draft guys to run the zone blocking scheme they run in new england and other places...

stlrz d
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM

Short yardage runs.

They were talking about the struggles our O has in 3-1 and 4-1 and short-goaline downs etc.

He's horrible.

Thank you. :)

SidSmythe
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Where was the hurry up offense we saw on the last drive.

That would have changed some things up and possibly slow down some of their stunts.

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
with good nfl players, there is no reason why you cannot pick up a 3rd and 1 running the football...why try the fancy stuff on 3rd and short? pound it up the gut with our running back...run your halfback iso with a FB, it's there...

our offensive line isn't great, but they can get push...they just struggle with this zone blocking crap because we didn't draft guys to run the zone blocking scheme they run in new england and other places...

Our FO is completely disconnected to the coaching staff and the needs of the team scheme-wise. Its really pretty sad.

Get a blocking FB...and get the line improve and run it right at people.

mshifko
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Our FO is completely disconnected to the coaching staff and the needs of the team scheme-wise. Its really pretty sad.

couldn't agree anymore benny...

hope this offense can pull out a few more wins under this clown OC

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 10:53 PM

couldn't agree anymore benny...

hope this offense can pull out a few more wins under this clown OC

And we need to get another possession receiver who can be relied on to catch a tough ball over the middle and get us first downs instead of our "deep-threats" who are inconsistent on big plays when we need them.