PDA

View Full Version : How 'Bout "Fat" Max Starks?

Flasteel
12-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Not only did he keep Ben clean today, I just saw the lowlight of Sanstonio's catch & fumble and Starks made a fantastic open-field tackle on Reed when it looked like he could have scored. Kudos to Max!!

mshifko
12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
i know...he made a big play on that...

sucked that my holmesy fumbled twice today, but he made up for it...he didn't have the greatest game, but made a play when it mattered i guess...

Flasteel
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM

sucked that my holmesy fumbled twice today, but he made up for it...he didn't have the greatest game, but made a play when it mattered i guess...

Sorry shif, but Holmes didn't make up **** on that play. He flat out sucked today and nearly blew the TD opportunity at the end. I expected way more from this guy and he has pretty much failed to deliver each and every week.

Yeah, he had a couple of big plays last week in the clutch and the winning grab today, but it falls way short of the expectations we all had for him. His head simply isn't on straight.

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
This was supposed to be the test for our crappy Oline and I think they did just fine. Mediocre Offense play with excellent defense can take us to the SB. Believe that. Any more tests out there? Is next week the big test for our team? I say BRING IT.

mshifko
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Sorry shif, but Holmes didn't make up **** on that play. He flat out sucked today and nearly blew the TD opportunity at the end. I expected way more from this guy and he has pretty much failed to deliver each and every week.

Yeah, he had a couple of big plays last week in the clutch and the winning grab today, but it falls way short of the expectations we all had for him. His head simply isn't on straight.
haha...i figured most people wouldn't think he made up for it, but to me he did...

he's not in the zone right now, but i have faith he'll pull out of this slump

NKySteeler
12-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Not only did he keep Ben clean today, I just saw the lowlight of Sanstonio's catch & fumble and Starks made a fantastic open-field tackle on Reed when it looked like he could have scored. Kudos to Max!!

Starks did look pretty darn good, IMO..... But who gave-up the sack on Ben when Ray Ray came in off the right side?

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Starks did look pretty darn good, IMO..... But who gave-up the sack on Ben when Ray Ray came in off the right side?

That one was on Mewelde he missed it bad. He was trying to double with Stapleton and Ray ran right by him.

buckeyehoppy
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Stop the earth rotating on its axis for a moment, but I have to give credit where it is due. You may want to have someone handy to revive you after reading this:

Max Sucks actually didn't suck for a change today. No holding. No sacks allowed. When his number wasn't called for anything, that was a good thing.

Kudos to Max...from buckeyehoppy!!!

Lebsteel
12-14-2008, 10:33 PM

haha...i figured most people wouldn't think he made up for it, but to me he did...

he's not in the zone right now, but i have faith he'll pull out of this slump

I was screaming at Holmes most of the day and calling him his not so nice nickname, especially after fumbling on the 10 yard line. I don't think he quite made up for his two fumbles plus at least one dropped pass, but the last catch was very nice. :tt1

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Willie Colon is the problem with the OL. Costly penalties...not being able to block worth $h*t...yeah I hope he either goes to guard or isn't resigned at all next year.

SuperSize
12-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Stop the earth rotating on its axis for a moment, but I have to give credit where it is due. You may want to have someone handy to revive you after reading this:

Max Sucks actually didn't suck for a change today. No holding. No sacks allowed. When his number wasn't called for anything, that was a good thing.

Starks deserves more credit than this, he gave Suggs an all-day azz kicking. If everyone would get over their pre-conceived prejudices against Starks, they would see that he is not just playing okay. he's playing very well.

Pete

frankthetank1
12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Willie Colon is the problem with the OL. Costly penalties...not being able to block worth $h*t...yeah I hope he either goes to guard or isn't resigned at all next year.

i agree colon sucks. he is the worst on the o-line (when simmons isnt playing) i hope they dont resign him. starks has been playing great though!! i am shocked and i was so hard on him before the last few weeks. he has been one of or the best guy on the line lately

papillon
12-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Starks deserves more credit than this, he gave Suggs an all-day azz kicking. If everyone would get over their pre-conceived prejudices against Starks, they would see that he is not just playing okay. he's playing very well.

Pete

Early on I thought Suggs was in for an all day azz kicking when they showed a replay of a pass play and Starks took Suggs first shot and just stood him and then pushed him so far beyond the pocket that it would have taken him 3 seconds to get back into the play. Starks was an unsung hero yesterday; it will be good to be him in the film room this week.

Pappy

Oviedo
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Starks looked better than Colon. I still think Starks will be back even though he isn't my first choice. He is however the most probable choice.

pittpete
12-16-2008, 01:15 AM
That one was on Mewelde he missed it bad. He was trying to double with Stapleton and Ray ran right by him.

I remember Colon stepping inside and doubling the DLineman Stapleton was blocking..
Wasnt Mewelde on the left side on that play?

NKySteeler
12-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Our O-line is not what it used to be... In any shape, form, or fashion.... Personally, I think that's probably part of the cause as to why we don't have a dominant running game as past Steelers offenses... Yes, Parker and Mendy are good backs, and while we still don't have a "bruiser" like Bettis, the big thing is the line.... They don't have the talent and ability that past lines of ours has had... Rebuilding it will not happen over night, and will take time. ... I think we could trade-up to get one or two of these guys... Don't we have a few extra picks this coming draft?...

Top 5 Offensive Line Prospects

5. G Duke Robinson, Oklahoma, 6-5 335

He and fellow Sooner lineman Phil Loadholdt form one of the better lines in college. Itís not often you see many teams take a chance on a guard in the first round. However, Robinson is one of the rare exceptions. Any team thatís trying to establish its identity as a running team should consider the great nephew of the legendary singer Smokey Robinson. He has the talent to switch to tackle, but his best short term success will be as a hole-opening guard.

4. OT Jason Smith, Baylor, 6-5 300

Besides being the highest ranked prospect to come out of Baylor in a long time, he is also one of the more intriguing prospects. He started his career at Baylor as a tight end before moving over a few spots on the line of scrimmage after the 2006 season. The decision turned out to be a fantastic choice. A tremendous athlete, Smith still needs to add some more bulk to lock on and engage defenders at the next level. Heís a smart football player thatís terrific in the locker room and a leader in the huddle. Would best be served if he could fill in as a backup his first year while he fills out into his 6-5 frame.

3. OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia, 6-5 315

The Cavaliers have been sending some big time lineman talents to the NFL, what with DíBrickashaw Ferguson and Chris Long. Monroe has prototypical size and I think he could be a Top 10 pick next April. He probably has the quickest feet of any of his fellow lineman in the Draft. Combine that with his solid all around skill set and he could be anchoring a line in the NFL for the next ten years. The only knock is that he could stand to get a bit stronger in his lower body

2. OT Andre Smith, Alabama, 6-4 340 (Junior)

If you havenít seen any of his highlights I urge you to go to YouTube and check out his compilation of hits. He absolutely anihiliated some poor defensive end from Arkansas! Smith is an extremely powerful young man that can simply overpower and outwork his opponent. Whatever team drafts him will not have to worry about him making headlines off the field. He is a very quiet and humble young man that puts his religion before anything else. Andre Smith is a road grader type of player but is athletic and quick enough to dominate as a run and pass blocker. I think the only concern there is with him is his weight. If he keeps it within reasonable limits then he could be looking at a long career with multiple trips to the Pro Bowl.

1. OT Michael Oher, Mississippi, 6-6 325

In my opinion, and many others, Oher is one of the better offensive lineman prospects to come out in a while. It wouldnít surprise if he went first overall to the Lions or Bengals. You canít find many flaws in this tremendous prospect. His size is ideal and his technique will not need much fine tuning. What separates Oher from the rest of the lineman are his aggressiveness, maturity and intense Ďtake no prisonersí style of play. Even though he could have been a surefire first round pick last year he chose to come back to care of some unfinished business at Mississippi.

Oviedo
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Our O-line is not what it used to be... In any shape, form, or fashion.... Personally, I think that's probably part of the cause as to why we don't have a dominant running game as past Steelers offenses... Yes, Parker and Mendy are good backs, and while we still don't have a "bruiser" like Bettis, the big thing is the line.... They don't have the talent and ability that past lines of ours has had... Rebuilding it will not happen over night, and will take time. ... I think we could trade-up to get one or two of these guys... Don't we have a few extra picks this coming draft?...

Top 5 Offensive Line Prospects

5. G Duke Robinson, Oklahoma, 6-5 335

He and fellow Sooner lineman Phil Loadholdt form one of the better lines in college. Itís not often you see many teams take a chance on a guard in the first round. However, Robinson is one of the rare exceptions. Any team thatís trying to establish its identity as a running team should consider the great nephew of the legendary singer Smokey Robinson. He has the talent to switch to tackle, but his best short term success will be as a hole-opening guard.

4. OT Jason Smith, Baylor, 6-5 300

Besides being the highest ranked prospect to come out of Baylor in a long time, he is also one of the more intriguing prospects. He started his career at Baylor as a tight end before moving over a few spots on the line of scrimmage after the 2006 season. The decision turned out to be a fantastic choice. A tremendous athlete, Smith still needs to add some more bulk to lock on and engage defenders at the next level. Heís a smart football player thatís terrific in the locker room and a leader in the huddle. Would best be served if he could fill in as a backup his first year while he fills out into his 6-5 frame.

3. OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia, 6-5 315

The Cavaliers have been sending some big time lineman talents to the NFL, what with DíBrickashaw Ferguson and Chris Long. Monroe has prototypical size and I think he could be a Top 10 pick next April. He probably has the quickest feet of any of his fellow lineman in the Draft. Combine that with his solid all around skill set and he could be anchoring a line in the NFL for the next ten years. The only knock is that he could stand to get a bit stronger in his lower body

2. OT Andre Smith, Alabama, 6-4 340 (Junior)

If you havenít seen any of his highlights I urge you to go to YouTube and check out his compilation of hits. He absolutely anihiliated some poor defensive end from Arkansas! Smith is an extremely powerful young man that can simply overpower and outwork his opponent. Whatever team drafts him will not have to worry about him making headlines off the field. He is a very quiet and humble young man that puts his religion before anything else. Andre Smith is a road grader type of player but is athletic and quick enough to dominate as a run and pass blocker. I think the only concern there is with him is his weight. If he keeps it within reasonable limits then he could be looking at a long career with multiple trips to the Pro Bowl.

1. OT Michael Oher, Mississippi, 6-6 325

In my opinion, and many others, Oher is one of the better offensive lineman prospects to come out in a while. It wouldnít surprise if he went first overall to the Lions or Bengals. You canít find many flaws in this tremendous prospect. His size is ideal and his technique will not need much fine tuning. What separates Oher from the rest of the lineman are his aggressiveness, maturity and intense Ďtake no prisonersí style of play. Even though he could have been a surefire first round pick last year he chose to come back to care of some unfinished business at Mississippi.

All of these will be gone when we pick at #32. That is why we have to realistically look at the second tier of guys who could come in at RT and potentially grow into a LT although free agency, resigning Starks or Hills developing are probably are most likely solution at LT.

The guys we could get in Round 2 for a RT include:

1. Troy Kropog, Tulane
2. Alex Boone, Ohio State
3. Fenuki Tupou, Oregon

It would be too expensive interms of draft picks to tarde up as far as we would have to to get one of the players who could actually start at LT. If they can't start immediately then don't do it.

Max Starks IMO will be our LT next year.