PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Free Agents - Center

Steel Life
12-14-2008, 01:01 PM
From Scout.com - Centers Who Should Get Starter Consideration:

Matt Birk/Minnesota Vikings/UFA - The perennial pro-bowler still could start at least two more seasons for any team that needs a center, but the Vikings haven't shown any interest in re-signing him.

Jason Brown/Baltimore Ravens/UFA - Brown is one of the most talented, young centers in the NFL and he'll attract a ton of attention should the Ravens decide not to re-sign him.

Jeff Saturday/Indianapolis Colts/UFA - The usually durable center turns 34 in June, but should have a few good years left. Saturday could start a few more years for a team until a younger lineman is ready to replace him.

Brad Meester/Jacksonville Jaguars/UFA - The solid run-blocking center turns 33 in March. He should have at least two solid years left in him.

Richie Incognito/St. Louis Rams/RFA - The tough and talented interior lineman can play guard or center. His versatility could help him get a decent restricted free agent tender, but injuries have been an issue the last few seasons.

Eric Ghiaciuc/Cincinnati Bengals/UFA - The former fourth-round pick has started 38 games over his four-year career. While injuries have been an issue, Ghiaciuc is a decent interior lineman whose best days are ahead of him.

Melvin Fowler/Buffalo Bills/UFA - He has 60 starts in his seven-year career. Fowler is seen by scouts as an average center, but he should attract some attention in free agency.

Rudy Niswanger/Kansas City Chiefs /RFA - The former undrafted free agent is in his first year as a starter. Niswanger has shown improvement this season so it will be interesting to see at what level he's tendered as a restricted free agent.

Others Who Could Find Interest For Backup Purposes

Jeremy Newberry/Oakland Raiders/UFA - The oft-injured, but talented interior lineman could help a team that is looking for an experienced, solid backup.

Matt Lehr/New Orleans Saints/UFA - Journeyman type that can also play guard.

Brett Romberg/St. Louis Rams/UFA - Decent backup who can play guard or center.

costanza2k1
12-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I personally think Hartwig did just fine this year, the tackle positions are probably the concern and 1 Guard.

BURGH86STEEL
12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I personally think Hartwig did just fine this year, the tackle positions are probably the concern and 1 Guard.

Hartwig has done a good job. Better than Mahan. Outside of the center position, every position on the Oline could be up for grabs in the offseason. A lot will depend on who the organization thinks they should resign and how Simmons rehabs from his injury. They might have a center of the future in Stapleton. The Oline can be improved in one year. A lot will depend on what other organizations do in FA and in the draft. We know the Steelers are not going to throw a lot of money around in FA unless they feel the player they pick up is really good.

frankthetank1
12-14-2008, 01:40 PM
i think the steelers should focus on getting a couple good tackles. hartwig is good, he can allow them to wait a year or two for the center of the future

pfelix73
12-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Yea, the are plenty happy with Hartwig at Center. That's been stated by the organization in the media too.

Agreed about the Tackle position. Just depends on what happens with all of the FA's.

pfelix73
12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
As I have stated numerous times over on the other board, I think they will re-sign Starks, so the LT position will be his in 2009. That leaves us with an option to go after DL and/or a OT in the first few rounds of the draft next year. A OT could compete on the right side with Colon.

IF #73 Simmons is healthy- and he should be, he could play LG with Stapleton at RG. That is if Kemo is let go. If Kemo stays, then we'll have Simmons and Stapleton competing at RG and I would put my $ on Simmons winning his job back.

Starks
Simmons
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon/ Rookie

?????

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Hartwig is signed through next year.

Mahan is still being counted under the cap next year.

There is no way that we pay 3 centers next year.

frankthetank1
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
As I have stated numerous times over on the other board, I think they will re-sign Starks, so the LT position will be his in 2009. That leaves us with an option to go after DL and/or a OT in the first few rounds of the draft next year. A OT could compete on the right side with Colon.

IF #73 Simmons is healthy- and he should be, he could play LG with Stapleton at RG. That is if Kemo is let go. If Kemo stays, then we'll have Simmons and Stapleton competing at RG and I would put my $ on Simmons winning his job back.

Starks
Simmons
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon/ Rookie

?????

i hope colon and simmons are not starting next season. simmons stinks, he is getting up there in age and he just had a pretty srerious injury. if they dont cut him he better be a back up. i would be suprised if they didnt resign kemo, unless some team offers him a lot of money which i cant see happening

Oviedo
12-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Hartwig has done a good job. Better than Mahan. Outside of the center position, every position on the Oline could be up for grabs in the offseason. A lot will depend on who the organization thinks they should resign and how Simmons rehabs from his injury. They might have a center of the future in Stapleton. The Oline can be improved in one year. A lot will depend on what other organizations do in FA and in the draft. We know the Steelers are not going to throw a lot of money around in FA unless they feel the player they pick up is really good.

I agree, but OT is the biggest need area without a doubt. There are interior line options but almost none at the OT positions.

The Steelers should throw a ton of money at Jordan Gross.