PDA

View Full Version : Pass Game Problems - Is Santonio the problem?

Steel Life
12-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Saw this on Post-Game Heroes website & it got me thinking about how Santonio hasn't become the Pro-Bowl level WR we thought he would be & how Ben gets all the criticism for the passing game. For all the crap thrown at Nate, if this stat is accurate perhaps we should start expecting better from Santonio. Thoughts?...

"Ever get the feeling while watching the game that a lot of passes that go Santonio Holmes’ way end up as bad throws, incomplete, batted down, etc….? Well Santonio Holmes has received 92 looks in the passing game this season but has racked up only 44 catches for a 48% percentage…..good for 6th worse in the NFL. Not sure what to make of this number since he really doesn’t drop the ball a whole lot." (http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=4952)

For all the crap thrown at Nate, if this stat is accurate perhaps we should start expecting better from Santonio. Thoughts?...

Steel Life
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Given Holmes' performance today, this stat needs to be looked into further...game-winning catch aside, he was awful today.

Leper Friend
12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Embarassingly awful at times today. He's taken a step back this year for sure.

With Nate,I think he just has so much raw talent,he's big and fast,but he never looks comfortable handling the ball. I hold my breathe every time they throw his way.

Holmes to me just looks soft this year. Doesn't want to get hit , just wants to look pretty and run fly routes all game.He definitely doesn't like getting hit.

NorthCoast
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Embarassingly awful at times today. He's taken a step back this year for sure.

With Nate,I think he just has so much raw talent,he's big and fast,but he never looks comfortable handling the ball. I hold my breathe every time they throw his way.

Holmes to me just looks soft this year. Doesn't want to get hit , just wants to look pretty and run fly routes all game.He definitely doesn't like getting hit.

I've said this before. Holmes is not a great receiver in traffic. His best work is when he is breaking free from the DB or in space (note the TD catch). We need another stud WR that can catch in traffic....Ward will not last forever.

Leper Friend
12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Ward will not last forever.Unfortunately not.

So many people focus on everything Ward can't do but he was easily the best wr on the field today. He's always clutch and we know he doesn't mind contact.

Mel Blount's G
12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
He is not great at getting separation on short in/out routes either imo. Only on straight 'goes' where he can use his pure speed but rarely does ben have that kinda time

BigBen2112
12-14-2008, 11:12 PM
there is not a consistent threat in this passing game besides Hines Ward and he's only consistent...not really a "threat" for anything more than possession...which with this D and our QB and in this day in age is VERY VERY important.

Leper Friend
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
He is not great at getting separation on short in/out routes either imo. Only on straight 'goes' where he can use his pure speed but rarely does ben have that kinda timeThere was a play in the second half where Holmes ran a deep in and Fabian Washington broke up the pass. It wasn't a perfect pass and it certainly wasn't an easy catch but if you can rewatch it,you'll see Holmes completely nonchalant in his route and not aggresive at all when the ball's in the air. Washington goes hard after the ball and bats it down while Holmes almost just goes thru the motions. This happens alot.

Flasteel
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
He is not great at getting separation on short in/out routes either imo. Only on straight 'goes' where he can use his pure speed but rarely does ben have that kinda timeThere was a play in the second half where Holmes ran a deep in and Fabian Washington broke up the pass. It wasn't a perfect pass and it certainly wasn't an easy catch but if you can rewatch it,you'll see Holmes completely nonchalant in his route and not aggresive at all when the ball's in the air. Washington goes hard after the ball and bats it down while Holmes almost just goes thru the motions. This happens alot.

How about the play before we kicked the FG to make it 9-6? Again it wasn't the best throw, but Holmes didn't even try. The ball sailed a couple of feet in front of him and kind of low, but he never lunged, dove, or extended in any way to make the play.

AngryAsian
12-15-2008, 12:18 AM

How about the play before we kicked the FG to make it 9-6? Again it wasn't the best throw, but Holmes didn't even try. The ball sailed a couple of feet in front of him and kind of low, but he never lunged, dove, or extended in any way to make the play.

Noted that as well. These guys just don't see that this window of opportunity happens very rarely, and if you aren't giving it your all down the stretch then why do even have you on the team. Look at how this defense is relentless. Never gives up on a play no matter how often or how long they stay on the field. With the way our Offense has played this year, these guys are the ones that should be giving up on plays due to exhaustion. Holmes is showing that he has neither the skill set nor the mental fortitude to be the commanding presense we need in our receiving corps. We need to look into other possible avenues in the offseason.

SidSmythe
12-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Why don't they motion Holmes more. Seems like Ward is always in motion. You think you could utilize Holmes speed by putting him in motion and helping avoid jams off the line.

Other than that....I just think Santonio needs to lay off the dope!!

SteelTorch
12-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Maybe he's the problem. I know for sure that Holmes has been the single biggest disappointment of the season. Today was no exception. He was downright awful.

I hear the all same stuff from fans and the talking heads about our problems - QB, O-line, running game, blah blah blah. But over the past few games I've said, and I stand by this, that WR play has been our biggest handicap and will be the biggest factor to our success from here on out. Because frankly, it sucks.