PDA

View Full Version : #1 Offense + #1 Defense does not equal best team

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
"If you take the best offense, I don't know, say, New Orleans, and you take us as a defense, that's not necessarily going to make the best team," Polamalu said. "The reason why is, they may pass the ball a lot, but, if they go three-and-out, three-and-out, three-and-out and score a touchdown fast, that's not the way our defense plays, that's not the way we play.

"We swarm to the ball, we play man-to-man a lot, we always have our back turned [to the ball], we're always playing high-intensity football. You take a team like Indianapolis, for example, which is always dropping back, always has vision [at the quarterback], always zone-dropping, you don't need nearly as much energy [to play that defense].

"You could probably count how much they actually run and compare how much we have to run, and it may be two games to one, in that sense. Not only that, we play a very physical brand of football. We're not meant to be out there very long."

LINK (http://post-gazette.com/pg/08348/935000-66.stm)

SidSmythe
12-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I know what he's saying ... there are several ways of looking at this.

Are you the #1 defense b/c your running game is so dominant that you are owning the clock and the defense isn't on the field as much??
I could go for that.
I'd think if you were the #1 in defense and #1 in offense, it's probably b/c you have the most dominant running game in the league plus a pretty effective passing game.

Come playoff time all that means nothing though. You just better be on top of your game every week b/c we've all seen great teams get beat b/c they couldn't do what they do best.

ALA, the Pats last year.

Mel Blount's G
12-14-2008, 12:01 AM
The personality of us, whenever we've had success around here, is running the football
Yet another player alludes to the importance of our run game...

I really really wish, as in I want it for christmas, for our offensive line to take these comments personally, to be personally insulted, and come out and blow an opposition's front line off of the field. We are playing back to back teams in the next 2 weeks that have a couple of the best defensive lines in football, especially the titans. A tough and true test for our offense's ability to run the damn ball and an opportunity to get properly prepared for post-season STEELER football

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2008, 02:02 AM
However, this season, we have the 23rd most rushing yards in the NFL, and are 29th in the league in yards per rush. How exactly is this helping the defense maintain their top overall ranking?