PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker Question

SuperSize
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
This is not a Willie bashing or support thread, or a thread to determine Parker's value on the open market, but a simple question...if it was offered before the draft, would you take a 3rd round choice for Parker?

This is assuming it was in the middle of the pack, like somewhere between pick 12-24. I know people think he might be more valuable or less valuable than that, but the question is, if the afore-mentioned pick were offered, would you take it?

Pete

P.S. - I would trade Willie for a third.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
He is a two-time Pro Bowler who is fighting off injuries...this has really been the first season he's been mediocre. Unless we have good reason to think his injuries are going to damage his future ability, there's no way we ought to give him up for that low a price.
I'm not saying anyone will offer us anything higher than that, I'm just saying I think his value to this team is higher than that.

Steeler Shades
12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Unless we have good reason to think his injuries are going to damage his future ability, there's no way we ought to give him up for that low a price.
Agreed
I'd rather have WP on the bench than a 3.17 unproven draft choice. 8)

papillon
12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Right now with Mendenhall unproven, using a career backup as our feature back and 3rd down back and having a RB that doesn't get more than 4-5 carries per game, Willie Parker is more valuable to the Steelers as a player rather than a draft choice that may or may not pan out in the NFL.

Willie Parker's salary cap hit is minimal, he's had past success when healthy and he's an unbelievable teammate based on comments made by his teammates. The down side and risk to trading him for a draft choice too great to get rid of an experienced NFL RB, IMHO.

Yes Sir!

Pappy

feltdizz
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
keep Parker... get a FB and watch him run off tackle for a few more years.... Moore is good but not an every down back. As soon as Moore had a decent game people said cut Willie.. then Moore was shut down a game or 2 later...

Keep all 3 RB's and cut Davis or the 3rd TE and pick up a mauler at FB.

Oviedo
12-12-2008, 01:08 PM
FWP would get you no better than a 4th round pick at best. There is no value in trading him. If this season has proven anything it should be you cannot have enough good RBs.

FWP has always been and is still a good team guy these comments not withstanding. He wants the ball and he wants to be successful. Nothing wrong with that.

As much as FWP wants the ball we are also paying a QB $102M and I think we expect him to do more than hand off the ball. Do you think he would be happy handing off the ball 35+ times per game and throwing it less than 20?

papillon
12-12-2008, 01:15 PM
FWP would get you no better than a 4th round pick at best. There is no value in trading him. If this season has proven anything it should be you cannot have enough good RBs.

FWP has always been and is still a good team guy these comments not withstanding. He wants the ball and he wants to be successful. Nothing wrong with that.

As much as FWP wants the ball we are also paying a QB $102M and I think we expect him to do more than hand off the ball. Do you think he would be happy handing off the ball 35+ times per game and throwing it less than 20?

If they're winning the games it shouldn't matter; that was exactly what happened Ben's rookie year. I'd take 15-1 again, but, now with Ben's experience the team wins playoff games and potentially Superbowls.

Don't play the game based on salary, play to win, the Rooneys and Steeler front office would have to be tickled with paying Ben 100 million and him having an 8.9 YPA, but, only 20 passes per game. The Steelers would be very difficult to beat under those circumstances. Give me the defense, a running game and an efficient and effective quarterback and you can have the gaudy quarterback and the numbers to go with him while they watch in January and the Steelers are playing.

Yes Sir!

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Right now with Mendenhall unproven, using a career backup as our feature back and 3rd down back and having a RB that doesn't get more than 4-5 carries per game, Willie Parker is more valuable to the Steelers as a player rather than a draft choice that may or may not pan out in the NFL.

Willie Parker's salary cap hit is minimal, he's had past success when healthy and he's an unbelievable teammate based on comments made by his teammates. The down side and risk to trading him for a draft choice too great to get rid of an experienced NFL RB, IMHO.

Yes Sir!

Pappy

And that is the heart of the matter, IMO. If RM had not gotten hurt and was having a good year, I would be totally comfortable trading Parker with our other backs in our stable. As it stands, I would not.

pittpete
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!

keep Parker... get a FB and watch him run off tackle for a few more years.... Moore is good but not an every down back. As soon as Moore had a decent game people said cut Willie.. then Moore was shut down a game or 2 later...

Keep all 3 RB's and cut Davis or the 3rd TE and pick up a mauler at FB.

Jooser
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
The ONLY problem I have with FWP is that he has yet to demonstrate that he is a durable back. That was the question alot of us had when the team decided to make him our feature back. Yes, last season he was leading the league in rushing, but couldn't finish the season and was not there when we needed him in the playoffs. And this season, yada yada. I think FWP needs 2 things: 1.) he needs a great blocking FB (duh) and 2.) he needs another back that shares the load throughout the season to keep him healthy (i.e. Bettis the year we won it all). I don't question his toughness, don't get me wrong, I think the guy's a warrior without a doubt. I guess I am just saying he isn't a battering ram type back, and he may be writing checks his body can't cash. :|

Oviedo
12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
The ONLY problem I have with FWP is that he has yet to demonstrate that he is a durable back. That was the question alot of us had when the team decided to make him our feature back. Yes, last season he was leading the league in rushing, but couldn't finish the season and was not there when we needed him in the playoffs. And this season, yada yada. I think FWP needs 2 things: 1.) he needs a great blocking FB (duh) and 2.) he needs another back that shares the load throughout the season to keep him healthy (i.e. Bettis the year we won it all). I don't question his toughness, don't get me wrong, I think the guy's a warrior without a doubt. I guess I am just saying he isn't a battering ram type back, and he may be writing checks his body can't cash. :|

That's not a FWP thing that is an NFL RB thing. The average life of an NFL RB is 5 years and I think next year is FWP's fifith year. Everyone was spoiled by Franco and Bettis who had much longer than normal NFL careers. You're lucky if you get that kind of RB about once every 20 years. The physical nature of the NFL requires you to have at least 2 potential starter caliber RBs on your roster, three is better.

SuperSize
12-12-2008, 02:12 PM

That's not a FWP thing that is an NFL RB thing. The average life of an NFL RB is 5 years and I think next year is FWP's fifith year. Everyone was spoiled by Franco and Bettis who had much longer than normal NFL careers. You're lucky if you get that kind of RB about once every 20 years. The physical nature of the NFL requires you to have at least 2 potential starter caliber RBs on your roster, three is better.

This is exactly why I would take a 3rd round pick for him, because I think his future productivity is in doubt. I like Willie, and I know he is a "proven" commodity relative to Mendenhall & Russell, but how productive will he be in 2009? Oviedo's point about a 4th round pick being the most you could get could very well be true. That being said, a 3rd round pick is pretty good value, if you could get it. That's why I make the trade, and use that extra 3rd on OL or DL, or possibly even another back if a good one is available.

There are also some good 2nd tier RB's available in FA for 2009, including Correll Buckhalter, Derrick Ward, Dominic Rhodes, & Darren Sproles to name a few.

If you keep Parker for 2009, and he gives you what he's giving this year, in 2010 you wouldn't be able to get anything for him.

Pete

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I would accept both arguements: FWP has a number of positives (such as good teamate, explosive, Pro Bowl) yet his future productivity is in question due to the mounting injuries. I think it DOES actually boil down to the salary cap when deciding what to do with him. 2 million a year or less and I would def keep him over a third round pick. Give me a first round OL and I would cut Parker if I had to.

Steeler Shades
12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
The average life of an NFL RB is 5 yearsThis is exactly why I would take a 3rd round pick for him, because I think his future productivity is in doubt.
I wonder what the average NFL life of a mid 3rd rounder is? 8)

costanza2k1
12-12-2008, 04:22 PM
You don't want a 3rd rounder for a proven player who's been in the Pro Bowl IMO. For all we know the 3rd rounder could get cut before the season even starts. I would hate to see Willie breaking off 60 yard runs for another team when he's healthy. Seems to me he's in complimentary back mode now and he can't carry the entire load without breaking down. Him and Mendy should be just fine for us. Plus why would anyone give a 3rd rounder for a RB when you can find people like that as UFAs who weren't drafted. We seem to be fine doing that as well as a number of other teams...

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
For what it's worth, here are the Steeler 3rd round picks during the Colbert era are:

Kendrick Clancy, Hank Poteat, Chris Hope, Max Starks, Trai Essex, Anthony Smith, Willie Reid, Matt Spaeth, Bruce Davis.

Although this is Parker's 5th season in the league, he only touched the ball 35 times as a rookie (21 of which were in the final game against the Bills that season). He may not ever be the guy that runs for 1200-1500 yards again, but a complementary piece of a backfield that also includes Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell, he could be useful.

I would only trade him if he were a part of a package to trade up in the 1st round to get the elite LT the team really needs.