PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Deshea...Wk 14 NFL Defensive POTW!!

Ezekiel 25:17
12-11-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

Townsend voted GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week
NFL.com

Cornerback Deshea Townsend of the Pittsburgh Steelers is the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week for games played on Dec. 4-8.

Townsend was selected from among five finalists by voters on NFL.com/gmc. The other finalists were linebacker Gerald Hayes of the Arizona Cardinals, safety Danieal Manning of the Chicago Bears, linebacker Shaun Phillips of the San Diego Chargers and safety Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens.

Through 14 weeks, Steelers have earned Defensive Player of the Week 6 TIMES!!

Wk 1 - Woodley
Wk 2 - Polamalu
Wk 7 - Woodley
Wk 11 - Harrison
Wk 13 - Harrison
Wk 14 - Townsend

:Clap :Clap :Clap

stlrz d
12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Yes Sir!

Discipline of Steel
12-11-2008, 11:50 PM
6 out of 14 in a 32 team league!!! I guess our 'homer' votes paid off.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Despite all of the media hype surrounding Ed Reed this week, I'm glad that Deshea earned the honors.

costanza2k1
12-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Very nice! Me likey.

Mel Blount's G
12-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Congrats to Deshea. Very well earned!

It's easy to say, "Well, that was a gimmee for DT. Rhomo threw it directly to him. Anyone could have done that"

But nobody here wants to think about what coulda been (or not have been) had that been Ike and not DT.

(Yes, I know Ike made a nice pick. But y'all know what I mean...)

steelblood
12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Congrats to Deshea. Very well earned!

It's easy to say, "Well, that was a gimmee for DT. Rhomo threw it directly to him. Anyone could have done that"

But nobody here wants to think about what coulda been (or not have been) had that been Ike and not DT.

(Yes, I know Ike made a nice pick. But y'all know what I mean...)

I know what you mean, but it was a gimme and he did not earn that award. Ed Reed had a much better game. I don't even think it was close.

papillon
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Ed Reed should have won this weeks DPOTW.

Yes Sir!

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Ed Reed won't come close to a POTW award this week.

He'll have PTSD symptoms instead, with flashbacks to the Ward and Harrison hits.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2007-11/33649872.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z25/woogle83/screenshot011.png

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2007-11/33650625.jpg

ramblinjim
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
the guys on NFL network this morning said that the Steeler nation always votes in big numbers for their players. Duh.....

SidSmythe
12-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Nice....
DT is 100% class. i love that guy.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I think Ed Reed should have won this weeks DPOTW.

Yes Sir!

Pappy

Well, thankfully, there's one voice of reason in this thread...

Don't get me wrong, I love DT. I love the Steelers, and I'm glad Steelers fans are out in force showing love for our Black and Gold. But Player of the Week for Townsend? What a crock! As I said before, he wasn't even the defensive player of that GAME! I could vote for the play as defensive PLAY of the week--even then, I'd have to say that Lamarr Woodley should get as much star billing for it as DT does.

How could anyone honestly say that DT's game performance for week 14 was better than Ed Reed's? Or even James Harrison's?

Maybe they ought to rename the award as "Homer Fan Defensive Player of the Week."

proudpittsburgher
12-12-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

Townsend voted GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week
NFL.com

Cornerback Deshea Townsend of the Pittsburgh Steelers is the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week for games played on Dec. 4-8.

Townsend was selected from among five finalists by voters on NFL.com/gmc. The other finalists were linebacker Gerald Hayes of the Arizona Cardinals, safety Danieal Manning of the Chicago Bears, linebacker Shaun Phillips of the San Diego Chargers and safety Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens.

Through 14 weeks, Steelers have earned Defensive Player of the Week 6 TIMES!!

Wk 1 - Woodley
Wk 2 - Polamalu
Wk 7 - Woodley
Wk 11 - Harrison
Wk 13 - Harrison
Wk 14 - Townsend

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Best part of that list is it is four different Steelers defensive players in those six weeks. Says a lot about the quality of our entire defense.

feltdizz
12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry fellas... when you have an INT that is returned for a TD with 1 minute left on the clock and both teams need the win for the playoffs.. you win DPOTW!

mshifko
12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
deshea deserved it...he got it into the zone...
but, i mean our whole defense contributed to that play...if we could put them all up for DPOTW we should :tt2

SidSmythe
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
:ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry fellas... when you have an INT that is returned for a TD with 1 minute left on the clock and both teams need the win for the playoffs.. you win DPOTW!

Disagree totally. Ed Reed had 2 Ints, and a forced fumble. End of discussion.

I am very happy for DT, but he is underserving of the award.

Starlifter
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM
gotta agree with Pappy and lebowski on this one. Of course the homer in me is thrilled for DT and laughing at Ed Reed but this wasn't close. In addition to the reality that DT really made only that one play - i observed him for most of the game strolling the sidelines with his sweatpants on to keep warm. I'd have to see the final stats, but I don't think he was in for many plays. That's not to say his interception wasn't a thing of beauty - you could really see how his experience and skill totally set up Romo for that pick, but in the overall scheme of an entire game - Reed had a far greater impact.

as to the fact that Steeler World (nation is no longer a big enough word) votes 5 times more than any other fan base well - that sucks for the rest of the league. BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Awards, schmawards...Deshea will beat Reed this weekend where it really counts...on the scoreboard. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

feltdizz
12-13-2008, 01:53 PM

you guys are way off on this one... I understand Reed had amazing stats.. but it's nothing new for Reed to have those kind of games...

1 minute left in the game and CBS switched over just in time for the whole nation to watch it..

Deshea "won a game" he didn't really do it all himself but you get the gist...

It's no different then a Devin Hester returning a punt for a TD to win a game after doing nothing all day... plenty of players make plays all day that determine who wins.. but when a player has an INT with a minute left and returns it for a TD in a playoff type atmosphere in front of the whole nation it will win DPOTW everytime.

feltdizz
12-13-2008, 02:09 PM
gotta agree with Pappy and lebowski on this one. Of course the homer in me is thrilled for DT and laughing at Ed Reed but this wasn't close. In addition to the reality that DT really made only that one play - i observed him for most of the game strolling the sidelines with his sweatpants on to keep warm. I'd have to see the final stats, but I don't think he was in for many plays. That's not to say his interception wasn't a thing of beauty - you could really see how his experience and skill totally set up Romo for that pick, but in the overall scheme of an entire game - Reed had a far greater impact.

as to the fact that Steeler World (nation is no longer a big enough word) votes 5 times more than any other fan base well - that sucks for the rest of the league. BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

it's style over substance with DT's play....it was way too dramatic not to win..

I bet you the more NFL fan's were pumped watching Deshea's play then watching Ed Reed's plays.

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 02:12 PM

you guys are way off on this one... I understand Reed had amazing stats.. but it's nothing new for Reed to have those kind of games...

1 minute left in the game and CBS switched over just in time for the whole nation to watch it..

It's no different then a Devin Hester returning a punt for a TD to win a game after doing nothing all day... plenty of players make plays all day that determine who wins.. but when a player has an INT with a minute left and returns it for a TD in a playoff type atmosphere in front of the whole nation it will win DPOTW everytime.

feltdizz,
I agree with you on why he won the award, the entire nation saw it. I just don't feel he is deserving compared to Ed Reed's stats.

...I think the last 8 years have proved that voters are not always correct. :lol:

Starlifter
12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
all good points by everyone - i just love the fact that as steeler fans we are blessed with being able to debate how great our team and players are, unlike the bungles or lions fans who get to debate on who to draft with the first pick......

bostonsteeler
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM

What he said.

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Maybe the award should be renamed to Defensive Play of the Week. Not Player of the week. :stirpot

stlrz d
12-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Maybe the award should be renamed to Defensive Play of the Week. Not Player of the week. :stirpot

They have one of those too.

Discipline of Steel
12-13-2008, 09:34 PM

They have one of those too.

and Deshea won that by a wide margin.