PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Steelers Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments

costanza2k1
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Tomlin lays down the smack...

Steelers Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments
Thursday, December 11, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball.

Parker, who carried 12 times for 25 yards against the Dallas Cowboys, said opposing teams even know when and where the Steelers are going to run the ball.

"He needs to be a little more careful with things he says and how he says it because it can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither," Tomlin said.

Asked how the two-tight end offense, which rarely employs a fullback, is performing, Tomlin said, "It was working pretty good last year when he was leading the league in rushing before he was hurt. It's not working as well right now. But we're in a better position than we were a year ago."

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards last season when he broke his leg in Week 15 in St. Louis. He also began this season with back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances before spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Week 3 in Philadelphia -- an injury that caused him to miss four games and still limits his effectiveness.

"Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

"I talked to the football team. We're a 10-3 team trying to be an 11-3 team, and the issue and singular focus we should have is on winning."

First published on December 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Ozey74
12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Tomlin said, "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Damn that's good stuff!

:Bow

flippy
12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Wooo! Wooo!

Steeler Shades
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Tomlin said, "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Damn that's good stuff!

I wonder how many of those Lombardis were won with an anemic rushing attack? Tomlin makes a good point about winning being more important than rushing stats, but give Parker some credit also. We need to be able to generate more rushing yards than we are currently. 8)

mshifko
12-11-2008, 09:47 PM
i know willie's frustration, but he has to kinda keep this stuff bottled up...we all know bruce arians' scheme isn't working right now...

on a side note, steeler shades has the best sigs ever haha

Steeler Shades
12-11-2008, 09:56 PM
..on a side note, steeler shades has the best sigs ever haha
Helps to make up for the lack of quality posts.....that nobody reads. 8)

mshifko
12-11-2008, 09:58 PM
..on a side note, steeler shades has the best sigs ever haha
Helps to make up for the lack of quality posts.....that nobody reads. 8)
i'm not going to lie, i never read your posts...but i always look at your sigs

joking of course...not about the sig part

steelsnis
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
We all need to remember that it was only a couple of years ago that we were all saying stuff like "we finally have a franchise QB and all we are doing is having him hand off all game..."

Gotta have a good balance to win in the playoffs. We've seen it firsthand under Cowher. Only time we finally won was when Ben threw the ball all over the field in the first half of games, and then w/the lead we were able to take the air out of the ball and grind em down.

IMO that's what we should be striving for, not just a ground and pound running game.

DkBlue
12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Tomlin is correct.

California-Steel
12-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeaa, let the D have an average game in the playoffs. With that way of thinking he'll keep walking past 5 Lombardi Trophies not 6.

To win inspite of your O is not the same as winning because of your O. Right now the team is playing Steelers D and that is what is winning these games for the Steelers. Lets not forget this.

Jooser
12-12-2008, 12:49 AM

Damn that's good stuff!

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4918/dsc02165yx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Eyes on the PRIZE boys, Eyes on the PRIZE!

Yes, Sir!

Mel Blount's G
12-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Tomlin handled this perfectly imo. He's really always been pretty impressive with his media front.

Frankly, I'm shocked. Part of my argument against dvsone during preseason, when he was on his "trade willie" tirades, was that fwp was a team-first guy, totally unselfish and would never go to the media crying about getting the ball. Now, he didn't exactly do that, but nonetheless I'm dissapointed that he took his talk, however selfish it is or isn't, however legit is argument might even be, was taken to the media. I didn't see willie as going outside the team with his complaints and frankly, he let me down by doing so. This is the kind of stuff that should be kept in the locker room imo. At least for a capital-T Team that has their priorities in order.

Oviedo
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Damn that's good stuff!

:Agree Hits the nail on the head. FWP had no problem with 2 TEs last year when he was leading the league in rushing.

Tomlin is a great coach and knows what is important and what isn't. This "identity" nonsense is just babble for fans.

RKSteel
12-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Too many times on Sunday Parker was dancing before he hit the hole. It seems like he doesn't trust the blocking or his instincts and waits for an opening. Maybe he's trying to break a long run on every play, but he got to get the 3-4 yd gains first.

birtikidis
12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I personally think that Willie is right. I think he's frustrated that when the offense isn't clicking the coaching staff don't make adjustments. I think he handled it wrong, but he's right.

DkBlue
12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Too many times on Sunday Parker was dancing before he hit the hole. It seems like he doesn't trust the blocking or his instincts and waits for an opening. Maybe he's trying to break a long run on every play, but he got to get the 3-4 yd gains first.

Not to start an argument but remember when Bettis was tutoring Wille? One of the things they talked about was teaching him patience and looking for a hole instead of hitting it upfield immediately.

ramblinjim
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Damn that's good stuff!

I was thinking the exact same thing WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :tt2

Steeler Shades
12-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Too many times on Sunday Parker was dancing before he hit the hole. It seems like he doesn't trust the blocking or his instincts and waits for an opening. Maybe he's trying to break a long run on every play, but he got to get the 3-4 yd gains first.Not to start an argument but remember when Bettis was tutoring Wille? One of the things they talked about was teaching him patience and looking for a hole instead of hitting it upfield immediately.
I think the question is whether Parker was dancing before he hit the hole, or dancing while he was looking for a hole. If there is no hole to run through it would seem he has three choices:
1. Try to "bull" his way through for as many yards as possible
2. "Dance" or continue to wait while hoping a hole opens
3. Break it outside and attempt to use his speed get some positive yardage
If I recall correctly, when Bettis was trying to teach Parker patience, Parker was inclined to break every run outside if there was no hole open immediately inside. That O Line was more effective in run blocking than the 2008 model and Parker may need to take a different approach this season. 8)

Ghost
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeaa, let the D have an average game in the playoffs. With that way of thinking he'll keep walking past 5 Lombardi Trophies not 6.

To win inspite of your O is not the same as winning because of your O. Right now the team is playing Steelers D and that is what is winning these games for the Steelers. Lets not forget this.

Totally agree with this. If for some odd reason the D deosn't have an A+ game come playoff time, the Steelers are not winning unless the O is VASTLY improved.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Parker may not have handled it in the right way, but he spoke the truth. He ran better with a blocking back. The run game has been in decline under the Arians offense, and that's not all on the O-line, IMO. Part of it has to do with things like schemes, formations, and play selection. Tomlin has to realize that, even when Willie was "leading the league in rushing" last season, we were constantly facing third and long situations...and that means the running attack is not up to snuff.

Steeler Shades
12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
...He ran better with a blocking back. The run game has been in decline under the Arians offense, and that's not all on the O-line, IMO. Part of it has to do with things like schemes, formations, and play selection....
:Clap :Clap :Clap
8)

feltdizz
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't mind this little rift... it seems like the press keeps asking him about the run game and he is being a little too honest with it.

Tomlin is correct but I think EVERYONE knows we need to run the ball to win in the playoffs.

BURGH86STEEL
12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Parker went about this the wrong way. Especially, since he has not been healthy for most of the year. There were times when he ran "scared" because of his injuries. Could this have anything to do with his value in the future? When the team is not succeeding in one area or another, they have to find the solution to the problem. When RBs break down, it is usually for good. I think Parker is a fine RB. I hope he can bounce back. The %'s are against him.