View Full Version : Steelers control own destiny

SteelerNation1
12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Steelers control their destiny

James Harrison
By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Dec 10, 2008

After vanquishing an old rival, the Steelers have set their sights on a current one.

PITTSBURGH – After vanquishing an old rival, the Steelers have set their sights on a current one.

After a 20-13 victory Sunday over the Dallas Cowboys, the Pittsburgh Steelers biggest rivals from the 1970s, they do not have time to bask in the win, not with a game against the Baltimore Ravens looming.

The Steelers (10-3) have insisted throughout the season they aren’t concerned about Baltimore (9-4) keeping pace in the AFC North.

“I’m just thinking about the next game; that’s it,” said Steelers linebacker James Harrison Sunday. “I don’t care what (Baltimore) is doing. I don’t care what they’ve done. Our job is to win. If we win, we don’t have to look behind us.”

They do have to look at the Ravens now.

There is no denying Sunday’s game in Baltimore is the biggest of the season.

A win by the Steelers would sweep the Ravens and clinch the AFC North. Pittsburgh defeated Baltimore, 23-20, in overtime at Heinz Field Sept. 29. A victory by Baltimore would cloud the picture.

A Ravens’ win would leave the two teams with identical records heading into the final three weeks of the season, and a spilt of the regular season series.

Baltimore would temporarily be in first place in the AFC North based on a 5-1 division record compared to 4-1 for the Steelers. Pittsburgh has one remaining division game, against Cleveland at Heinz Field in Week 17.

If the two teams finish with identical records and the Steelers beat Cleveland, the NFL would use the third criteria, won-loss percentage in common games, to break the tie.

But that might not work.

Baltimore finishes the season at Dallas and home to Jacksonville, two teams the Steelers have defeated this season. Pittsburgh closes at Tennessee, which beat the Ravens Oct. 5, and home against Cleveland. If, for example, the Ravens lose at Dallas and Pittsburgh loses at Tennessee and then both teams win their regular season finales to finish at 11-5, both would be 7-3 against common opponents.

The NFL would then go to the fourth tiebreaking procedure, best won-loss percentage in games played within the conference.

The Steelers currently have an advantage based on their 8-1 record within the AFC. Baltimore is 7-3.

But a loss to Baltimore would give the Steelers an 8-2 record in the conference, putting the Ravens one game behind the Steelers in that tiebreaker.

In that event, the Steelers could win the division by sweeping their final two games. But that would also push them ahead of the Ravens in common opponents.

If the Steelers were to lose one of their final two games, it would give them a third conference loss and possibly force the NFL to use the fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory.

In that event, the Steelers have to hope the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers – two teams they have beaten – continue to win, while Miami and Philadelphia – two teams the Ravens have beaten – falter.

Pittsburgh’s victories have come against teams with a combined 52-55-1 record, compared to 36-57-2 for the Ravens – though a win over the Steelers would certainly improve that for Baltimore.

“We just need to go and take care of business,” said Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley. “If we do that, nothing else matters.”

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter

DkBlue
12-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Baltimore seems to get the breaks with injuries. Pacman out now and Fred Taylor and multiple players out for their finale. The Steelers have to do their own work.

MeetJoeGreene
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Man, would I love it for this one game for our offense to really click.

And Flacco finally show his rookie stripes and make big mistakes.

SteelerNation1
12-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Coach LeBeau having multiple game tape on Flacco gives me hope that this will happen

rpmpit
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Yeah, remember last years Monday night game? I want THAT!!!

feltdizz
12-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Coach LeBeau having multiple game tape on Flacco gives me hope that this will happen

yep.. I really think we go at Flacco early.. last time we waited until after the half.

SteelerNation1
12-12-2008, 01:20 PM

yep.. I really think we go at Flacco early.. last time we waited until after the half.
Stop the run 1st! Then, put Flacco on a tee baby!

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
It is really simple.

Beat the Ravens and Browns, we win the division. If we lose either of those two games, do we really deserve to win the division?

But I seem to recall the last time we lost the division and still made the wildcard.

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

frankthetank1
12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
if they stop the run and make flacco beat them then it should be a win barring stupid penalties and turnovers

BigLebowski
12-13-2008, 02:52 PM
if they stop the run and make flacco beat them then it should be a win barring stupid penalties and turnovers

Agreed...or injuries.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
It is really simple.

Beat the Ravens and Browns, we win the division. If we lose either of those two games, do we really deserve to win the division?

But I seem to recall the last time we lost the division and still made the wildcard.

If they beat the Ravens tomorrow, they clinch the division and a bye in the first round. The game against the Browns would only be important if we then beat the Titans and had a chance for the top seed (home field throughout).

frankthetank1
12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
It is really simple.

If they beat the Ravens tomorrow, they clinch the division and a bye in the first round. The game against the Browns would only be important if we then beat the Titans and had a chance for the top seed (home field throughout).

if they win tomorrow they have at worst the two seed? wow some how i didnt realize that. it would be nice to win out, but if they go 2-1 and the only loss being the titans then i would be ecstatic. even if some slight chance they played in tenn in the playoffs i really wouldnt be all that worried about playing on the road. they are a great road team and i would think there would be a very good presence of the nation in tenn. gotta win tomorrow!!! :Beer

costanza2k1
12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
It is really simple.

if they win tomorrow they have at worst the two seed? wow some how i didnt realize that. it would be nice to win out, but if they go 2-1 and the only loss being the titans then i would be ecstatic. even if some slight chance they played in tenn in the playoffs i really wouldnt be all that worried about playing on the road. they are a great road team and i would think there would be a very good presence of the nation in tenn. gotta win tomorrow!!! :Beer

Good stuff! I'm not worried about the Titans in the playoffs I think they'll be 1 and done, no facts to back that up just a feeling.

Steeler Shades
12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not worried about the Titans in the playoffs I think they'll be 1 and done, no facts to back that up just a feeling.
I hope you're right. That would mean an AFCC in Pittsburgh and we will win this one in front of son and I. We have been to two AFCC in Pittsburgh and watched the Patsies* break our hearts twice. Time to win one at home!!! 8)

BDESteel
12-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm not so optimistic about this one. I guess I'm thinking of all the carnage left after the last game with the Ratbirds. We are short of warriors on offense and it's going to be a blood bath for sure. I'm hoping the Defense comes up HUGE and brings a victory home for the Black and Gold.

Also, Ben needs to get his passes up, too many balls have been thrown into the ground.

LET'S GO STEELERS! GET IT DONE BABY! Uu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Djfan
12-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I am concerned that we might beat ourselves. I think we beat the ratbirds in a straight-up game - no injuries, penalties, turn-overs. But, those are a part of the game, and definitely part of our game this year. Let's hope we leave that part behind this weekend.

I agree on the Titans. Something about them just isn't fear inspiring. Can't put my finger on it though.

AkronSteel
12-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I am concerned that we might beat ourselves. I think we beat the ratbirds in a straight-up game - no injuries, penalties, turn-overs. But, those are a part of the game, and definitely part of our game this year. Let's hope we leave that part behind this weekend.

I agree on the Titans. Something about them just isn't fear inspiring. Can't put my finger on it though.

Kerry Collins at QB for me. I just don't see the Titans getting to Tampa with Collins starting. I know that he has had a decent season and not made the big mistakes, but I don't see this guy making the plays in the playoffs to get it done.

:2c

Wolfhound45
12-13-2008, 11:47 PM
If we win tomorrow, the game against the Titans is going to be like the pre-season for both teams. Very vanilla. Neither team is going to want to show their hand for the playoffs.

If we lose, we are going to have to open the playbook and get creative the following week. We have to win out to stay in front of Baltimore (conference record tie breaker). On the other hand, I think the Titans will sit a lot of starters because they have nothing to gain with a win against us.