PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Suggs hopes to torment Steelers on field Sunday

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 08:25 PM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (Map, News) - The Pittsburgh Steelers had better look out for Terrell Suggs this week, for reasons that have nothing to do with bounties, late hits or dirty play.

Suggs is having an outstanding season for the Baltimore Ravens, who can earn a share of the AFC North lead by defeating the Steelers at home Sunday. Suggs has a team-high 6 1/2 sacks, is second on the league's second-ranked defense with 86 tackles and twice has returned interceptions for touchdowns.

That, more than his silly comments regarding bounties two months ago, should concern the Steelers this week.

"He's playing tremendous," Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan said Wednesday. "He's as good a run guy as there is in the league and he's a great pass rusher. He's had a great year for us."

It's been a better season for Suggs on the field than off it. In October, he jokingly implied that the Ravens put bounties on Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall and receiver Hines Ward. The linebacker later said he misspoke, and apologized for the statement.

On Wednesday, Suggs said, "I think Hines took it the way he was supposed to. We don't want to harm to anybody; I don't think anybody wants to hurt anybody."

Suggs already has more sacks than all of last season, and is nine tackles short of matching his 2007 total. He credits the improvement to the return of defensive end Trevor Pryce, a potent pass rusher who missed 11 games last year with injuries.

"I think I am better than last year, but a big part of it is because Trevor is back. When you have a veteran guy like that, it helps," Suggs said. "I'm not taking anything away from Haloti Ngata and Justin Bannan, but I think they're better run stoppers than pass rushers. They'll tell you that themselves."

Early in his career, Suggs did little more than rush the quarterback. Now in his sixth season, Suggs has proven he can also tackle and cover running backs. In performing the latter chore, he scored on a 44-yard interception return in Miami and took an interception 42 yards for a touchdown in Cleveland.

But he makes his money by sacking the quarterback, and while his total is by far the highest on the team, it isn't anywhere close to NFL sack leader Joey Porter (16 1/2).

"I don't have as many sacks as I would like, but I've noticed over the years that even if your sack numbers aren't that high, that doesn't mean you're not having a great year," Suggs said. "Ray Lewis brought that to my attention a few weeks ago. We were talking about the Pro Bowl and I said, 'I might not go because I decided to be a complete player this year.'

"He said, 'Your sack numbers don't decide how your season is going. You've got two picks for crucial touchdowns, not to mention all the batted balls you've had on key plays.'"

Lewis is the voice of authority in the Baltimore locker room and by far the team leader on defense. The contracts of Suggs and Lewis both end after this season, and the 26-year-old Suggs knows who is considered to be a priority by the Ravens.

"It's out of my hands. Ray Lewis is the heart and soul of this team," Suggs said. "You have to address him first before you talk to anyone else."

After Lewis gets his contract, Suggs hopes there's enough money left from him.

"I bleed purple and black and always will," he said. "I do want to be here, but if it doesn't go in my favor I'm sure there are 31 other teams that would like to have Terrell Suggs on their defense."

Like Pittsburgh?

"I would never do that," Suggs said. "That number would have be really, really high."

Notes:@ With RB Ray Rice nursing a bruised shin, the Ravens signed free agent RB Jalen Parmele and placed DT Lamar Divens (shoulder) on injured reserve. ... WR Mark Clayton (knee), K Matt Stover (ankle), S Ed Reed (thigh) did not practice Wednesday.

BigRob
12-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes Dumb *ss, you can be a complete player and still have 15 sacks. Suggs sounds like such a big baby. He hasn't had a quarter of the season that James Harrison has had.

Mel Blount's G
12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.glitterrock.org/gumpcaps2004-10/somehowhesdroolingsalivaontotheoutsideofthe.jpg
You like srimp?

Iron Shiek
12-10-2008, 11:09 PM
"I bleed purple and black and always will," he said. "I do want to be here, but if it doesn't go in my favor I'm sure there are 31 other teams that would like to have Terrell Suggs on their defense."

Like Pittsburgh?

"I would never do that," Suggs said. "That number would have be really, really high."

1. Bleeding Purple and Black is serious cause for concern. He may need to get that checked out.

B. 31 other teams may only want you if you get your own dental/gum insurance --
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fm9cE2egTcJf/610x.jpg

3rdly- The Steelers would never want your sorry, Rat$hit, a$$! You couldn't even drug Rooney and Colbert enough to convince them to sign you. Go to hell you A-HOLE!

stlrz d
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2004/MERC-Nov-25-Thu-2004/photos/guest.jpg

AngryAsian
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":2xqodrre]

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2004/MERC-Nov-25-Thu-2004/photos/guest.jpg[/quote:2xqodrre]

That's an insult to MushMouth. He was cool. :lol:

Djfan
12-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Just call Suggs "Hashmouth".

flippy
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Wonder what the bounty is to decleat him?

rpmpit
12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I was watching "American Gangster" this week and Denzel said something that I've always known to be true - "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

The Ravens need to shut their mouths and play :twisted:

MeetJoeGreene
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Like Pittsburgh?

Isn't that sort of a contradiction?

rpmpit
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Like Pittsburgh?

Isn't that sort of a contradiction?

No, its definitely a contradiction. And I don't think he'll ever have to worry about playing for the Steelers.