PDA

View Full Version : Parker complains about getting away from Steelers football

Oviedo
12-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Just in on the Post Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934197-66.stm

Basically doesn't like no FB. Nothing new. he has said this before.

Solution: Off season trade with Seattle to get Owen Schmitt.

Iron Shiek
12-10-2008, 05:53 PM
:Agree

This is getting a bit ridiculous...I mean you have the run game suffering without a good FB in an effort to...what?...get the passing game going....which hasn't happened either. So what the hel! are you doing Arians...?

California-Steel
12-10-2008, 05:55 PM
BA needs to go. Nice read. Said before but someone needs to keep saying it. So I guess Parker is the one http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934197-100.stm

California-Steel
12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow!! Just posted the same thing. Sorry for the dupe.

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 06:03 PM

No worries topics merged.

California-Steel
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM

No worries topics merged.
You guys are quick :Clap

tomiesteel08
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Just in on the Post Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934197-66.stm

Basically doesn't like no FB. Nothing new. he has said this before.

from the title of the thread I thought parker was leaving the Steelers

pittpete
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
What I dont get is we line up in a single back formation, TE on either side and then run up the middle.
Who is blocking the dam LBers shooting the gaps?
A FB would usually do this no?
Better off 3 wides(Heath split wide),a FB and then pound.
At least our RBs might have a snowballs chance in hell.
Most times they are hit behind the LOS or at it.
Something about a square block into a round hole with this dam Arians.

flippy
12-10-2008, 06:34 PM
What I dont get is we line up in a single back formation, TE on either side and then run up the middle.

whos blocking the Dline?

who's blocking anybody for that matter?

the other thing that bugs me is when the steelers go 4 wide, they take out heath miller.....

California-Steel
12-10-2008, 06:41 PM
The sad thing is we all see the flaws of this offence so why can't Tomlin or Bruce? I think Tomlin is a D guy so he has given the O over to Arins, come next year Bruce should be gone. Tomlin over time will come to understand the O more and take more control. I hope sooner than later.

SteelStallion
12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
With all due respect to Willie, this team doesn't have the o-line to play 'Steeler Football.' He of all people knows this but I guess it's more politically feasible to lament a nonexistent fullback than criticize the o-line. But I think he straddled that line of appropriateness and said as much as he could without evoking hard feelings :nono

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Though I may agree with FWP, I think he may be treading perilously close to TO (Owens) territory here. He's made his point on more than one occasion, and that should be enough. It's little things like this that cause cracks in team unity, IMO. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive on this issue, living in a Cryboys media market ...

I couldn't tell from a quick read ... did he say this again recently, or is it a retread from the last time or two?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
While that would be nice, they're more likely to trade for a position they actually use - perhaps ANOTHER TE.

Seriously... DeVille called it first... FWP will land in Arizona this offseason.

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
What type of offense were we running he got over 100 yards 3 times? Maybe the Willie was healthy then offense?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
What type of offense were we running he got over 100 yards 3 times? Maybe the Willie was healthy then offense?
i agree that he's not healthy. but, the team is doing fine - and with him slightly banged up, Mewelde has looked better... and Russell looks decent, too. And then, there's Mendenhall. If those were my only 3, I'd be OK with it.

So, if he wants to complain, he can hit the road... Of course, Rooney might step in and stop it all.

AngryAsian
12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
i agree that he's not healthy. but, the team is doing fine - and with him slightly banged up, Mewelde has looked better... and Russell looks decent, too. And then, there's Mendenhall. If those were my only 3, I'd be OK with it.

So, if he wants to complain, he can hit the road... Of course, Rooney might step in and stop it all.

I'm with you on that. I think with Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell we'd have a great 3-headed monster. I'm not hating on Willie, but one can't be critical about the offensive ground game output when he hasn't been able to produce and help out the team due to his injury. Get healthy and come out play like you can run 1500 yards in a season, and if you don't get the carries and the offense sputters, offer your criticism.

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Another thought I have in relation to this identity thing. Who cares at this point if we have one or not, isn't it too late to try and establish one? Right now is "by any means necessary" time. Here's an identity that we do have: Don't screw up on offense and let the D keep you in the game. We've used that all year and it's working to the tune of a possible week off in the playoffs. I say we carry on and then spend the offseason working on the Oline, FB, playcalling, etc... IT IS GO TIME NOW! Whether we like the junk we're putting on the field or not, the junk may just get us into the show. I would sure like to hear, "it wasn't up to snuff but we won the Superbowl and I'll take that anytime"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Another thought I have in relation to this identity thing. Who cares at this point if we have one or not, isn't it too late to try and establish one? Right now is "by any means necessary" time. Here's an identity that we do have: Don't screw up on offense and let the D keep you in the game. We've used that all year and it's working to the tune of a possible week off in the playoffs. I say we carry on and then spend the offseason working on the Oline, FB, playcalling, etc... IT IS GO TIME NOW! Whether we like the junk we're putting on the field or not, the junk may just get us into the show. I would sure like to hear, "it wasn't up to snuff but we won the Superbowl and I'll take that anytime"

:Clap :Clap for the whole post, especially the part in green.

Oviedo
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM

The Steelers haqve an identity--it is one of the meanest bunch of MFers on defense in the league. "Steeler football" is about defense not offense. maybe FWP needs to get clued into that. "

I agree that "Steelers football" should be about winning no matter how that is happening.

Iron Shiek
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Dammit I wish the game was today! The last couple posts y'all made are pumping me up for some reason. I've never been so excited for a Steelers Defense. I've always been an offensive kind of guy. I like power running, but this year (since around week 4 or 5 when I gave up on the offense putting up points) I have been wanting our D out on the field. I am more confident in them than the offense...weird...for me anyway...

Djfan
12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never been so excited for a Steelers Defense. I've always been an offensive kind of guy. I like power running, but this year (since around week 4 or 5 when I gave up on the offense putting up points) I have been wanting our D out on the field. I am more confident in them than the offense...weird...for me anyway...

Steelers football has always been, and will always be, about defense. It's in your blood.

Iron Shiek
12-10-2008, 11:20 PM
No doubt DJ. I was born in 1979 so I just missed the Steel Curtain, and while I watch some highlights, I never will know what it was like to live that week in and week out. Some of the defenses in the 90's were awesome, and many of my favorite players come from those defenses, but something seems different with this Defense. They are turning me. Some amazing talent and just downright punishing players all around, makes me almost not mind that we have to punt at times.

stlrz d
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
My username says it all. :D :tt2

AngryAsian
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
No doubt DJ. I was born in 1979 so I just missed the Steel Curtain, and while I watch some highlights, I never will know what it was like to live that week in and week out. Some of the defenses in the 90's were awesome, and many of my favorite players come from those defenses, but something seems different with this Defense. They are turning me. Some amazing talent and just downright punishing players all around, makes me almost not mind that we have to punt at times.

This is the best Steeler Defense I've ever seen, period. And I watched the golden years of the 70s dynasty. We had great defense but our offense kept us in games a lot. We had some serious talent on, O. This defense is just unbelievable, and we really need to coin a phrase to describe the nastiness of it. The Steel Curtain and then came Blitzburgh.... we need to come up with something before the playoffs. Have the board coin a phrase and I'll translate it graphically... and we'll have SteelerNation1 bring to the game via a banner. Whatcha think?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 11:39 PM

This is the best Steeler Defense I've ever seen, period. And I watched the golden years of the 70s dynasty. We had great defense but our offense kept us in games a lot. We had some serious talent on, O. This defense is just unbelievable, and we really need to coin a phrase to describe the nastiness of it. The Steel Curtain and then came Blitzburgh.... we need to come up with something before the playoffs. Have the board coin a phrase and I'll translate it graphically... and we'll have SteelerNation1 bring to the game via a banner. Whatcha think?
my guess is that you (like me) were very young during the 70's.. I was born in 1970, and really became a fan in the mid-70's. I understand that the last 2 SB teams (which I do remember) were very different in makeup than the first 2 SB teams (which I don't remember because i was too young).

Bradshaw was hated by the fans early on and wasn't nearly the same QB he was in the late 70's. i think what you remember of that defense isn't the same defense they were for most of the 70's...

just my $.02.

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Lolly's Blog:

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Parker blows up
Willie Parker went off for about the fourth time this season about the Steelers' lack of a running game.

Only this time, he was a little more specific with his complaints.

Parker said Wednesday that he prefers to run with a fullback in front of him - something the team rarely does - and that until the Steelers do that, the running game is going to look sporadic.

We'll see how Parker's outburst flies with the head coach.

When Parker complained to me and a couple of others following the Washington game about the team's lack of running, he promised to meet with head coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians about his unhappiness with the rushing attack.

But then Parker was injured, so the meeting never happened.

But he's healthy now.

Brett Keisel will try to practice Thursday, while Troy Polamalu (calf) may wait until Friday as he did last week before practicing.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 9:54 PM

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Lolly's Blog:

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Parker blows up
Willie Parker went off for about the fourth time this season about the Steelers' lack of a running game.

Parker said Wednesday that he prefers to run with a fullback in front of him - something the team rarely does - and that until the Steelers do that, the running game is going to look sporadic.

When Parker complained to me and a couple of others following the Washington game about the team's lack of running, he promised to meet with head coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians about his unhappiness with the rushing attack.

But he's healthy now.

Brett Keisel will try to practice Thursday, while Troy Polamalu (calf) may wait until Friday as he did last week before practicing.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 9:54 PM
he's right... if i'm running up the middle, it'd be nice to have more people attacking the point of attack... instead of being outside the frigign hashmarks... you may as well go 5 wide and run up the gut...

Djfan
12-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Born in 64, so I remember much of the 70's teams. The D was the shizzle. They just owned teams.

In retrospect I feel bad for Houston. They had great teams and a great coach. They were just always in our shadow. By the time we were fading they were, too.

It was a different era. It was when football was a man's sport. I miss it.

AngryAsian
12-11-2008, 12:04 AM

my guess is that you (like me) were very young during the 70's.. I was born in 1970, and really became a fan in the mid-70's. I understand that the last 2 SB teams (which I do remember) were very different in makeup than the first 2 SB teams (which I don't remember because i was too young).

Bradshaw was loved by the fans early on and wasn't nearly the same QB he was in the late 70's. i think what you remember of that defense isn't the same defense they were for most of the 70's...

just my $.02.

Actually via statistics and player accounts, 1977 was their best year defensively, but unfortunately the Oakland Raiders got us in the AFCCG and ended up beating the Vikings in the SuperBowl. I remember that for one game I was a Fran Tarkenton fan because I thought him and Chuck Forman were going to exact some kind of revenge for my Pittsburgh Steelers... ya, fat chance.

I really loved the defense, but when I was 8 and 9 respectively I loved what the offense did, so I guess my vision of the team was a little skewed. SuperBowl IX was a bummer because we nearly lost the game and I remember my favorite player of that era, Jack Lambert was out of the second half due to injury. And though those defenses were dominant, I think that with the way the league is structured now with all of its heavily favored offensive rules that practically limit what you can do defensively to stop a high powered scoring attack, its amazing what this team has been able to do this season defensively. If Mel Blount played nowadays he'd be costing his team at least 60 penalty yards per game with his physical play.... and Lambert, he might as well sign over his check to Goodell, weekly!

SteelerOfDeVille
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Bradshaw was loved by the fans early on and wasn't nearly the same QB he was in the late 70's. i think what you remember of that defense isn't the same defense they were for most of the 70's...

just my $.02.

Actually via statistics and player accounts, 1977 was their best year defensively, but unfortunately the Oakland Raiders got us in the AFCCG and ended up beating the Vikings in the SuperBowl. I remember that for one game I was a Fran Tarkenton fan because I thought him and Chuck Forman were going to exact some kind of revenge for my Pittsburgh Steelers... ya, fat chance.

I really loved the defense, but when I was 8 and 9 respectively I loved what the offense did, so I guess my vision of the team was a little skewed. SuperBowl IX was a bummer because we nearly lost the game and I remember my favorite player of that era, Jack Lambert was out of the second half due to injury. And though those defenses were dominant, I think that with the way the league is structured now with all of its heavily favored offensive rules that practically limit what you can do defensively to stop a high powered scoring attack, its amazing what this team has been able to do this season defensively. If Mel Blount played nowadays he'd be costing his team at least 60 penalty yards per game with his physical play.... and Lambert, he might as well sign over his check to Goodell, weekly!
as if you watched the 77 team with the same understainding that you watch a game with today. :-)

AngryAsian
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
as if you watched the 77 team with the same understainding that you watch a game with today. :-)

True. I was ten and had 4 years of football watching under my belt. But I wasn't reading coverages or packages. I did hate the Raiders though. I remember that AFCCG was the most disappointing football season. Prior to that, I thought the Steeler always played for the Lombardi. I came to this country in 73 so learning the language and watching Steeler football went hand in hand.

stlrz d
12-11-2008, 12:21 AM

True. I was ten and had 4 years of football watching under my belt. But I wasn't reading coverages or packages. I did hate the Raiders though. I remember that AFCCG was the most disappointing football season. Prior to that, I thought the Steeler always played for the Lombardi. I came to this country in 73 so learning the language and watching Steeler football went hand in hand.

Was Jack Rambert your favorite player? :P

JK man! :lol:

AngryAsian
12-11-2008, 12:28 AM

No. Jack Rambert was my favorite prayer.... Sirry white man. LOL. :lol: :lol:

phillyesq
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
From Dale Lolley's Blog:

But he's healthy now.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/12/parker-blows-up.html

I like the fullback more than the single back sets -- it feels more like Steelers football to me. Not sure if it will happen -- should be interesting.

buckeyehoppy
12-11-2008, 12:46 AM
From Dale Lolley's Blog:

But he's healthy now.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/12/parker-blows-up.html

I like the fullback more than the single back sets -- it feels more like Steelers football to me. Not sure if it will happen -- should be interesting.

Why shouldn't it? The FB adds dimension to the offense and gives many more options to the running game.

If FWP is pi$$ing in the coaching staff's corn flakes over wanting a FB to lead block then so be it. The fact that the coaches are that hard headed about it is the reason they are under fire. Their non-flexibility stands as the largest threat to the team's chances down the stretch.

stlrz d
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm sensing a merge. :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3608 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3608)

frankthetank1
12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
its not the first time fwp has voiced his opinion on having a fb in front of him. hopefully now that will change and we will see more of mchugh and davis

SuperSize
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Every Steeler fan I know thinks they need to use the FB in the running game more, why can't BA figure it out? :roll:

On the other hand, I am getting tired of Parker taking this complaint to the media. This is the 3rd or 4th time he has complained about the running game and in my opinion, he needs to be quiet, get healthy, and play football. Keep your comments in house, Willie.

Pete

flippy
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Give the man a FB already!!!

phillyesq
12-11-2008, 09:46 AM

http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=2&t=3608 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3608)

My bad. :oops:

I try to avoid duplicating threads, but every now and then, even I'm guilty of it.

feltdizz
12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Every Steeler fan I know thinks they need to use the FB in the running game more, why can't BA figure it out? :roll:

On the other hand, I am getting tired of Parker taking this complaint to the media. This is the 3rd or 4th time he has complained about the running game and in my opinion, he needs to be quiet, get healthy, and play football. Keep your comments in house, Willie.

Pete

A much more tired of seeing our running game do nothing without a FB then hearing Willie complain about it.

Dude is hurt every other week cause he doesn't have a FB blowing up the LB's...

Jooser
12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I think I'd consider putting James Harrison in at FB on goal line situations. He'd definitely go head hunting for someone. Use him and Goal Line Gary as our 'heavy package'. :2c -$0.18

SteelerOfDeVille
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
most RBs do want a FB... i've said several times, but, if you're running 4th and 1 (and we ALL know it's right up the gut) what good does it do to have extra blockers OUTSIDE THE TACKLES?

costanza2k1
12-11-2008, 01:12 PM

http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=2&t=3608 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3608)

Your senses are getting good.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-11-2008, 01:26 PM

No. Jack Rambert was my favorite prayer.... Sirry white man. LOL. :lol: :lol:
both funny as hell!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Excellent point Pete. A two TE formation is more conducive to running outside the tackles. That way you have your extra blocker already in position to block. If you just run up the middle every time, the D just moves their men inside the TEs and don't have to worry about being blocked by the FB as they stuff the middle.