PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for those who are certain

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
that Mendy is going to be a good back.

What makes you so sure? What did you see? Because I didn't really see anything from him. And that's not trashing him...I mean I didn't see anything from him because he got hurt in the fourth game of the season and, imo, didn't have a chance to show anything.

He had 19 carries for 58 yards. 3.1 average with a long of 12 and no TDs.

So I'm not saying he's NOT going to be good...but I'm wondering how those of you who have said "he's shown he's going to be good" can make that assertion.

I'm hoping he's going to be good but really, I don't recall seeing anything to make me confident yet. As of this moment he's just another back to me.

Ballbuster
12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm more concerned that he fumbled so much.

Still to early to give up on a first-round draft pick, we won't have a good idea what he's worth until at least the end of next season.

pfelix73
12-09-2008, 11:39 PM
I know what you are saying here, because I had thoughts about that too. As far as wondering if Mendenhall will be the back he was drummed up to be.- A 1st rounder.

I say that it's way too early and that with time at camp and a year under his belt, he'll be better next year and beyond..... let's hope. Just seems like many of these guys need that extra year to get going....

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not giving up on him at all. What I'm trying to express is he may as well have not played a down yet because he really hadn't had the chance to do anything before getting hurt.

So what I'm wondering is how people can say, "He has shown he can be a good back" when he's only carried the ball 19 times.

See what I'm sayin'?

I hope the guy is all world!

Jooser
12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
I think Mendy still has plenty to show, but plenty of time left to do it in next season. It sucks he got hurt before he could even get lathered up. He'll be like Timmons and come on strong next year, at least I hope. :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
that Mendy is going to be a good back.

What makes you so sure? What did you see? Because I didn't really see anything from him. And that's not trashing him...I mean I didn't see anything from him because he got hurt in the fourth game of the season and, imo, didn't have a chance to show anything.

He had 19 carries for 58 yards. 3.1 average with a long of 12 and no TDs.

So I'm not saying he's NOT going to be good...but I'm wondering how those of you who have said "he's shown he's going to be good" can make that assertion.

I'm hoping he's going to be good but really, I don't recall seeing anything to make me confident yet. As of this moment he's just another back to me.

I think we will have to wait and see how Mendenhall pans out.

SidSmythe
12-10-2008, 12:40 AM
He has the tools, but does he have it upstairs??? who knows.

blacknblue80s
12-10-2008, 01:01 AM
With Ben getting better at checking down and throwing to Moore, I really have a feeling Mendy can be utilized the way Philly uses Brian Westbrook.

He just needs to regain confidence after the fumbles and injury.

sd steel
12-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Good RB's are a dime a dozen. Does he have size? yes (but not as big and strong as I would like), does he have speed? Yes. Does he have vision, yes (He has the ability to squirt through holes before they open). Does he have side to side quickness? yes. Can he catch out of the backfield? yes. Can he block? yes.

He has the attributes of a great back, but alot will depend on the line and the scheme and the play calling. Lie I said good RB's are a dime a dozen. If you put a good back behind a great line, you get Emmitt Smith, you put a good back behind a crappy line you get Curtis Enis.

As far as "the smarts", is concerned, you don't have to be intelligent to be a great running back. You aren't making reads, you are told where to run and who to block.

It's not brain surgery, but a great back will be able to get yards even with a subpar line, ie, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton (before 83), Jim Brown. The problem is now that the defenses are so much bigger and faster. That's why I laugh when someone can say our oline is the worst ever, because undrafted FWP can gain 100 yards more than once this season, and Mewelde Moore can also gain over 100. Someone is blocking someone, because although our backs are good, even the worst defense in the league has 11 guys playing who are studs, and who could completely dominate a CFL, NCAA, WFL, XFL game.

Yes Mendenhall can be a very good back, but great is a wait and see.

papillon
12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm not certain about how good or bad Rashard will be as a Steeler. I believe that everyone is basing their optimism on his collegiate career and his measurables during the prod day workouts and combines. Certainly, no one is basing their optimism on his pro career to this point.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I think my question has been lost in translation.

Never mind.

Move along...nothing to see here.

feltdizz
12-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Never mind.

I get you... there is no proof Mend will be good. But we did see flashes of what he could do on a few runs. I saw him run angry against the Bills in preseason on the last play before halftime.. he ran around 2 guys and ran over another guy for an 8 yard gain.

I also saw him have a couple runs that showed he was a rookie... tentative and over thinking.

I think Mendenhall will only be as good as Bruce lets him. Dude refuses to use a FB and we saw what happened when Mend went one on one with Ray Ray..

I watched the Carolina game on Monday.. every run had a FB blowing up the LB or safety... until we get back to that we will see 8 and 9 yard runs but no 30 to 40 yarders..

Mend should be good though.. but I'm patient and don't expect college numbers from him.

flippy
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Good RB's are a dime a dozen. Does he have size? yes (but not as big and strong as I would like), does he have speed? Yes. Does he have vision, yes (He has the ability to squirt through holes before they open). Does he have side to side quickness? yes. Can he catch out of the backfield? yes. Can he block? yes.

He has the attributes of a great back, but alot will depend on the line and the scheme and the play calling. Lie I said good RB's are a dime a dozen. If you put a good back behind a great line, you get Emmitt Smith, you put a good back behind a crappy line you get Curtis Enis.

As far as "the smarts", is concerned, you don't have to be intelligent to be a great running back. You aren't making reads, you are told where to run and who to block.

It's not brain surgery, but a great back will be able to get yards even with a subpar line, ie, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton (before 83), Jim Brown. The problem is now that the defenses are so much bigger and faster. That's why I laugh when someone can say our oline is the worst ever, because undrafted FWP can gain 100 yards more than once this season, and Mewelde Moore can also gain over 100. Someone is blocking someone, because although our backs are good, even the worst defense in the league has 11 guys playing who are studs, and who could completely dominate a CFL, NCAA, WFL, XFL game.

Yes Mendenhall can be a very good back, but great is a wait and see.

+1

If Mendy works hard, he's got all the tools to be another Ladanian.

If you watched him in the preseason or even the Baltimore game where he got hurt, you can see he's got more natural ability than our other backs.

steelsnis
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Mendenhall will only be as good as Bruce lets him. Dude refuses to use a FB and we saw what happened when Mend went one on one with Ray Ray..

I watched the Carolina game on Monday.. every run had a FB blowing up the LB or safety... until we get back to that we will see 8 and 9 yard runs but no 30 to 40 yarders..

Dizz, I get what you're saying and I would like to see more running plays with a fullback in there but let's not forget that Parker was leading the league in rushing last season when he got hurt in week 14 or 15. If i recall, Arians was OC then too.

Oviedo
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
There is no sure answer to the question on how successful Mendenhall will be. He could be the next Franco Harris or he could be the next oft injured Steven Jackson (possibly most naturally talented RB in the NFL).

What we do know about Mendenhall is that he has all the tools in terms of size, speed and the apparent instincts to be successful. Being successful does not necessarily mean future HoF RB. The NFL today is more about RBs by committe than guys a carrying the load. As is the average life of a good NFL RB is about 5 years with great ones doing it a bit longer.

I think that when evaluating his performance before the injury everyone needs to remember that Mendenhall was only 20 years old when he was drafted (just like Timmons). He is only going to get biger and stronger with off season conditioning.

I remain optimistic that he will be a good, solid RB for many years.

Reference the lack of FB, I'm really torn by this one because I'm one of the biggest advocates of creative uses for the TEs we have to include lining them up as FBs. My biggest complaint with Arians is the one back sets not the lack of a FB. McHugh seems a very capable blocker but we just don't use him enough back there. I would be very supportive of the Steelers trading with Seattle in the off season to get Owen Schmitt. He is underutilized there and we should have gotten him in the last draft. I think we would have seen a much different running game. particularly on the goal line.

papillon
12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
There is no sure answer to the question on how successful Mendenhall will be. He could be the next Franco Harris or he could be the next oft injured Steven Jackson (possibly most naturally talented RB in the NFL).

What we do know about Mendenhall is that he has all the tools in terms of size, speed and the apparent instincts to be successful. Being successful does not necessarily mean future HoF RB. The NFL today is more about RBs by committe than guys a carrying the load. As is the average life of a good NFL RB is about 5 years with great ones doing it a bit longer.

I think that when evaluating his performance before the injury everyone needs to remember that Mendenhall was only 20 years old when he was drafted (just like Timmons). He is only going to get biger and stronger with off season conditioning.

Reference the lack of FB, I'm really torn by this one because I'm one of the biggest advocates of creative uses for the TEs we have to include lining them up as FBs. My biggest complaint with Arians is the one back sets not the lack of a FB. McHugh seems a very capable blocker but we just don't use him enough back there. I would be very supportive of the Steelers trading with Seattle in the off season to get Owen Schmitt. He is underutilized there and we should have gotten him in the last draft. I think we would have seen a much different running game. particularly on the goal line.

Have we really seen enough of our tight ends to warrant going to this TE heavy offense? The Steelers are struggling to finish games and they have two losses related directly to the fact that they couldn't seal the deal with a running game (IMHO).

Just as an observation as well, Spaeth looks very weak for a big man, especially after catching the ball. Miller just doesn't seem to be the same player he was a year ago either. I can't put my finger on it, but, he doesn't appear to be the same player.

I can't comment on their blocking ability, since, I'm not football savvy enough to be able to watch the blocking and the ball during a play. Many have said that their blocking has gotten better, I'll take them at their word on that one.

If the TEs are going to be key ingredients in this offense the Steelers need more production from them (eg Dustin Keller, Jason Witten, etc.). Willie may need a lot of carries to get his yards, but, he burns a lot of clock when he's carrying the ball. Sometimes, good offense burns clock by getting first downs and not necessarily points. Right now the Steelers aren't getting the points and they're not burning the clock either.

Give me a fullback and either Parker or Moore and see if they can't close out a game. Sunday may be the time the Steelers need to do this without giving Flacco and the Ravens offense another shot. We'll see.

Pappy

Oviedo
12-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Have we really seen enough of our tight ends to warrant going to this TE heavy offense? The Steelers are struggling to finish games and they have two losses related directly to the fact that they couldn't seal the deal with a running game (IMHO).

Just as an observation as well, Spaeth looks very weak for a big man, especially after catching the ball. Miller just doesn't seem to be the same player he was a year ago either. I can't put my finger on it, but, he doesn't appear to be the same player.

I can't comment on their blocking ability, since, I'm not football savvy enough to be able to watch the blocking and the ball during a play. Many have said that their blocking has gotten better, I'll take them at their word on that one.

If the TEs are going to be key ingredients in this offense the Steelers need more production from them (eg Dustin Keller, Jason Witten, etc.). Willie may need a lot of carries to get his yards, but, he burns a lot of clock when he's carrying the ball. Sometimes, good offense burns clock by getting first downs and not necessarily points. Right now the Steelers aren't getting the points and they're not burning the clock either.

Give me a fullback and either Parker or Moore and see if they can't close out a game. Sunday may be the time the Steelers need to do this without giving Flacco and the Ravens offense another shot. We'll see.

Pappy

I think any shortfall with the TEs is Ben not throwing to them enough. Watch the replays of the games. These guys are open but Ben remains fixated on the WRs, particularly Hines and Nate.

I also think effective use of the TEs is being effected by no FB and the TEs beingheld in to block or at least "chip" a rusher on about every pass play.

feltdizz
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
you need a traditional FB... they know how to run through the hole and truck players...

TE's are not built for that and are not naturals at hitting the hole like a FB would.

Spaeth is a catching TE.. Miller is as well. Tuman was a blocking TE...

I have no faith in our run game until we get a FB. I have watched too many games with FB's to see the obvious.... our OL cannot get to the LB's ad they are punishing our RB's this season.

Single backs sets work in spreads.. not in bunch formations.. and even then.. we are not a fast team so the spread isn't really a spread.

feltdizz
12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I think any shortfall with the TEs is Ben not throwing to them enough. Watch the replays of the games. These guys are open but Ben remains fixated on the WRs, particularly Hines and Nate.

I also think effective use of the TEs is being effected by no FB and the TEs beingheld in to block or at least "chip" a rusher on about every pass play.

Agreed. Underneath is always open. I watched Carolina the other day and they had plays designed specifically for the RB in the flat on swing passes... It seems like all our passes in the flat or underneath are out of desperation not execution.

We had one play set up for Moore that would have been a big gainer but Ben throws his short passes so shallow.. it's clear Ben doesn't throw short passes in the flat in practice.

papillon
12-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Pappy

If Ben doesn't target them enough isn't that just another reason to go away from that offense? Maybe he isn't comfortable with the TE as the #1 read? Maybe he doesn't get through his reads quick enough to get to the TE option? I'm not sure what the problem is let alone the solution, but, it seems painfully obvious that the Steelers offense is not functioning up to its capability.

The play makers are there, Parker, Moore, Ward, Holmes, Washington, Miller and, of course, Ben, but something is missing.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Agreed. Underneath is always open. I watched Carolina the other day and they had plays designed specifically for the RB in the flat on swing passes... It seems like all our passes in the flat or underneath are out of desperation not execution.

We had one play set up for Moore that would have been a big gainer but Ben throws his short passes so shallow.. it's clear Ben doesn't throw short passes in the flat in practice.

My thought has been that Ben is not the type of "precision" quarterback that will consistently be able or willing to throw short passes. Only as a change up.

papillon
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Yea, he threw the d@mn thing so shallow that he hit the defensive lineman in the helmet with the pass. Good Lord it would add so much to the offense if those passes can be completed.

I watched the Ravens play the skins last weekend. The Ravens have a defensive set where they line up two linebackers side by side either on the left or the right (probably against the Steelers it will be Colon's side) and rush both leaving a lot of space behind them. If Ben can hit the exact pass we're talking about here on this defense the Ravens will have to get out if it. It (the defensive set) caused the Skins a tremendous amount of problems in pass protection.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Pappy

If Ben doesn't target them enough isn't that just another reason to go away from that offense? Maybe he isn't comfortable with the TE as the #1 read? Maybe he doesn't get through his reads quick enough to get to the TE option? I'm not sure what the problem is let alone the solution, but, it seems painfully obvious that the Steelers offense is not functioning up to its capability.

The play makers are there, Parker, Moore, Ward, Holmes, Washington, Miller and, of course, Ben, but something is missing.

Pappy

Is it possible that the QB is not elevating the level of this offense with his play? It is possible but it is usually more than one thing. Injuries to the Oline, RBs, and drops by the players on offense have an impact. They've also faced some pretty tough defenses. I think what is missing most is consistancy.

papillon
12-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Is it possible that the QB is not elevating the level of this offense with his play? It is possible but it is usually more than one thing. Injuries to the Oline, RBs, and drops by the players on offense have an impact. They've also faced some pretty tough defenses. I think what is missing most is consistancy.

Although, Ben hasn't had a year like last year he isn't really what I'm blaming for the TE sets. My comments are directed at the overall offensive (and, at times, the offense has been offensive) philosophy of using two tight ends rather than one and a fullback if your quarterback (for whatever reason) doesn't target TEs enough.

Spaeth's catches are by and large unimportant, in that, they rarely convert a third down, he gets tackled easily after the catch and they aren't down field. Spaeth started out being a TD machine (his rookie season), got hurt and hasn't been the same since. Heath Miller makes important catches and could be jason Witten, but, he doesn't get the ball thrown his way with enough regularity.

It just seems foolish to run an offense that isn't delivering the goods; of course, they'll come out this week and each have 5 ot 6 catches a TD apiece and about 150 yards just to make look like an idiot (well, a bigger idiot).

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Never mind.

i didn't see enough of him, but, honestly, I was never terribly impressed.

I had hoped we'd land Jonothan Stewart and said it many times pre-draft... my statement about him was "most LaDanian-like back in the draft". Complete package.

steelernation77
12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Reports out of training camp were very positive about Mendenhall. He has the tools. Give him a fully healthy year before jumping to any conclusions.

stlrz d
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Reports out of training camp were very positive about Mendenhall. He has the tools. Give him a fully healthy year before jumping to any conclusions.

That's what I'm saying. I'm neutral on him. I want him to succeed but I personally have not seen enough from him to claim, as others have, that he's going to be good.

I haven't seen enough to say he's going to fail either.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 08:45 PM

That's what I'm saying. I'm neutral on him. I want him to succeed but I personally have not seen enough from him to claim, as others have, that he's going to be good.

I haven't seen enough to say he's going to fail either.
ditto.

I usually watch enough college ball to catch a lot of the good backs... But, Illinois wasn't on my hit list last year.

steelernation77
12-11-2008, 03:22 AM
I have seen quite a bit of Illinois. All you need to do is check out their offense last year vs. this year. He was the key to it.

frankthetank1
12-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Never mind.

i know what your saying and im with ya. i didnt see anything from him where i was blown away. of course he didnt play much this year but what i did see from him was nothing special. you have to give all young players time to develop. im not sold on mendy being a great pro by any means. i dont know how anyone can honestly think he is going to be a future pro bowler or anything

feltdizz
12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I have seen quite a bit of Illinois. All you need to do is check out their offense last year vs. this year. He was the key to it.

true.. but I used to argue with DVS all the time about the Illini spread O and how the holes were truck size and most of his big gains were on option pitches and option hand offs..

rarely did Mend line up in the I and pound the rock... he was the key to their O but there was a lot of deception in that offense.

I think he has all the tools but he was a young 20 coming into the NFL and had one year as a starter in college... he is the Timmon's of our offense.. huge upside IMO.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
a lot of factors come into play with an offense, especially at the college level. did any linemen graduate. did they change coaches/coordinators... look at how quickly my beloved Louisville Cardinals went from "most exciting" team in college football to a nobody...

MeetJoeGreene
12-11-2008, 01:18 PM

true.. but I used to argue with DVS all the time about the Illini spread O and how the holes were truck size and most of his big gains were on option pitches and option hand offs..

rarely did Mend line up in the I and pound the rock... he was the key to their O but there was a lot of deception in that offense.
I .

What you say is true. But then again, it appears that the Steelers won't line up in the I and pound the rock either. )Of course, we don't have that deception thing going with Arians at the helm either. ) But he may be better suited to our "new" type of offense than the old one. That being said, I haven't seen enough of him to be convinced/unconvinced. I have seen flashes and my optimism and black and gold colored lenses want me to think he is the next great back.

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM

I think he has all the tools but he was a young 20 coming into the NFL and had one year as a starter in college... he is the Timmon's of our offense.. huge upside IMO.

Yup...moving from an offense where he was a sidecar to a shotgun QB pretty much all the time to a pro style offense will take some adjustment (more than just playing sparingly in 4 games), but this kid has all the tools to be a franchise RB at this level (rookies like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and Steve Slaton all look like potential Pro Bowlers, but Mendenhall has a better all-around game than any of those guys).

I don't know where some previous comments on this thread about him not having what it takes upstairs came from. He's a smart, well-rounded, respectful guy that the Steelers organization typically drools over. He's not a common street thug that flunked out of Community College numerous times before being given a D-I scholarship even though he should not have qualified academically.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-11-2008, 01:36 PM

I .

What you say is true. But then again, it appears that the Steelers won't line up in the I and pound the rock either. )Of course, we don't have that deception thing going with Arians at the helm either. ) But he may be better suited to our "new" type of offense than the old one. That being said, I haven't seen enough of him to be convinced/unconvinced. I have seen flashes and my optimism and black and gold colored lenses want me to think he is the next great back.
I'll be honest..

I didn't feel like I've seen enough... but, what I did see was just OK...

of course, he ran a little high - and will therefore always need a good backup - because he'll take a lot of big shots. He seemed to have a decent jump-cut, but, I was dissapointed in the rest of his "wiggle". But, that was in limited action, so a true assessment can't be made.

there are good RBs peppered throughout the draft - so, I expect a true stud in the 1st...i'm holding off on passing judgement because of that fact.

admittedly, i was concerned before the draft - one year wonders in college have a higher likliehood of being busts in the NFL.