PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin needs to subscribe to this vision

BigRob
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
"The vision of John Fox before the season -- running with power behind a bigger, stronger offensive line -- was in full view for America last night. Great, great job by the Panthers"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/12/09/afcnorth/index.html?eref=T1)

I think Mendenhall has a chance to be a really good back, but we should have done what we needed to draft Otah. He has been playing really good football for Carolina at the RT position. Better than Colon is playing for us.

If we had anywhere near Carolina's running game we would be 13-0 right now.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
"The vision of John Fox before the season -- running with power behind a bigger, stronger offensive line -- was in full view for America last night. Great, great job by the Panthers"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/12/09/afcnorth/index.html?eref=T1)

I think Mendenhall has a chance to be a really good back, but we should have done what we needed to draft Otah. He has been playing really good football for Carolina at the RT position. Better than Colon is playing for us.

I hear you, but to have put together the kind of O-line that Mendenhall and FWP and Moore could run behind ... who would we NOT have starting on the field now? I know it's tough to say, but maybe we wouldn't have drafted Troy, or Woodley, or Harrison, or ...

[Tomlin speak here ...] It is what it is!

BigRob
12-09-2008, 11:51 PM

I hear you, but to have put together the kind of O-line that Mendenhall and FWP and Moore could run behind ... who would we NOT have starting on the field now? I know it's tough to say, but maybe we wouldn't have drafted Troy, or Woodley, or Harrison, or ...

We could have improved our OL tremendously by drafting Otah this year, and moving Colon to RG immediately. I think then you would see a very good Run blocking OL with Ben killing people with Play Action. Then you would have still had everyone you mentioned above.

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 11:58 PM

We could have improved our OL tremendously by drafting Otah this year, and moving Colon to RG immediately. I think then you would see a very good Run blocking OL with Ben killing people with Play Action. Then you would have still had everyone you mentioned above.

I remember an awful lot of folks saying they didn't want Otah. I didn't know enough about him to form an opinion but figured if people in Pittsburgh didn't want him then we shouldn't have tried to get him.

Ballbuster
12-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Our running game sucks because:

a) Our line blows - fair on the run at times
b) Arians, in his infinite wisdom decided to eliminate the fullback in most sets
c) Injuries

We need linemen to protect Ben who's getting ****ing shelled most of the time, though they've given him protection lately. I can't see our runblocking getting worse with better linemen.

We need a ****ing fullback in the starting rotation.

BigRob
12-10-2008, 12:06 AM

b) Arians, in his infinite wisdom decided to eliminate the fullback in most sets
c) Injuries

We need linemen to protect Ben who's getting ****ing shelled most of the time, though they've given him protection lately. I can't see our runblocking getting worse with better linemen.

Injuries to who? Marvel? I think Max is playing better than Marvel was to be honest. Otah has been playing great at RT.

Ballbuster
12-10-2008, 12:12 AM

c) Injuries

Injuries to who? Marvel? I think Max is playing better than Marvel was to be honest. Otah has been playing great at RT.

Parker, Mendy (though really a non-factor in the grand scheme of things)

BURGH86STEEL
12-10-2008, 12:22 AM

Carolina gave up to much for the opportunity to draft Otah.

papillon
12-10-2008, 01:25 AM

They're 10-3 and playing for home field advantage and have a ground game that appears to be able to match the Giants. They don't think they gave up too much right now.

Pappy

Jooser
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I remember Ben wearing the Colts out on play action in the playoffs. They were so concerned with Bettis and FWP that Ben destroyed them because our WRs exploited no safety coverage over the middle. Heath really benefitted from the play action that year.

BigRob
12-10-2008, 01:59 AM
We should have all but a maybe one person back on that starting D for next year. I really hope with the cap space we'll have that we can get Harrison extended for a decent deal and we at least take a crack at Gross or Vernon Carey. If we can improve our O-line, OC, and O-line coach we could be near impossible to stop.

BURGH86STEEL
12-10-2008, 09:05 AM

They're 10-3 and playing for home field advantage and have a ground game that appears to be able to match the Giants. They don't think they gave up too much right now.

Pappy

I think it was obvious that they did not think they gave up too much. They made the deal. My opinion was they gave up to much for the opportunity to draft Otah. Here is what they gave up to get him. 2nd & 4th round picks in 08 draft. 1st round pick in 09 draft.

Discipline of Steel
12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I think it was obvious that they did not think they gave up too much. They made the deal. My opinion was they gave up to much for the opportunity to draft Otah. Here is what they gave up to get him. 2nd & 4th round picks in 08 draft. 1st round pick in 09 draft.

Would we be willing to give up that much to obtain a top-flight OL this draft if we cant land a top free agent? We sure need to do something.

RKSteel
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
2002 Bucs and 2003 Pats* - 27th ranked rushing offense
2006 Colts - 18th ranked rushing offense

All three teams won the SB. I would love nothing better than the Steelers pounding the ball, but how many SB did the Steelers win with their top 5 rushing attack and 30th ranked passing offense?

Bettis is one of my favorite all time Steeler players, but his playoff stats are not impressive.

The Steelers would pound the ball all season, you need a running game to win a championship right? Then get to the playoffs, face a nine man front and the couldn't adjust, or more importantly, have a QB capable of expoiting the defense.

This year, the Steelers have a outstanding defense, one of best QBs, playmakers at WR and TE and a decent running attack. As long as the offense doesn't make mistakes, plays to its strengths and attacks a Ds weak area, this team can beat anyone.

If the Steelers win the SB this year it will be because of its defense and Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
We may be in the same situation this year - maybe worse. We will be drafting somewhere after 25 and there is a large group of good OL coming out. If there is another run on them then we may be looking at a second tier guy in the middle rounds again, or we might have to pay big to move up to grab a guy.

Lets assume that Oher and Smith are out of reach. Next guys are guys like Monroe, J. Smith, Robinson, Black, Mack etc.

If there is a rush on linemen like last year, what are you willing to do to get one of these guys? We paid a 1st, 3rd, and 6th to move up 11 spots to grab Troy in '03. Would you do the same thing to grab a Duke Robinson or a Mack or a Ciron Black? What if the price was going to be our 1st, 2nd, and 5th? What if the rush on linemen meant that a top CB, or someone unlikely like Maualuga fell to us much the same way Mendenhall dropped to us last year?

Just some food for thought....any takers?

flippy
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Pappy

Carolina can't stop the run.

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2008, 11:18 AM

That was too much to give up for RT Otah. However, if we all like the way Carolina blocks for their running game, just sign their LT Gross to a huge free agent deal (with the contracts of both of our current LT's Marvel and Max expiring, we should be able to pull it off if we really want to), and that would not require any draft compensation. Then you could use your early picks for d-line depth, and potential elite center prospect like Alex Mack, or a right tackle who might be able to replace Colon from day one.

It is kinda funny that NFL.com has been saying that we drafted Otah and Mendenhall on their site for months now:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3900&type=team

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
We may be in the same situation this year - maybe worse. We will be drafting somewhere after 25 and there is a large group of good OL coming out. If there is another run on them then we may be looking at a second tier guy in the middle rounds again, or we might have to pay big to move up to grab a guy.

Lets assume that Oher and Smith are out of reach. Next guys are guys like Monroe, J. Smith, Robinson, Black, Mack etc.

If there is a rush on linemen like last year, what are you willing to do to get one of these guys? We paid a 1st, 3rd, and 6th to move up 11 spots to grab Troy in '03. Would you do the same thing to grab a Duke Robinson or a Mack or a Ciron Black? What if the price was going to be our 1st, 2nd, and 5th? What if the rush on linemen meant that a top CB, or someone unlikely like Maualuga fell to us much the same way Mendenhall dropped to us last year?

Just some food for thought....any takers?

If we aren't able to sign a FA LT like Jordan Gross, I would not be opposed to a deal to trade up in the first like we did for Troy or Santonio in order to get someone like Eugene Monroe (he was the reason that last year's board favorite Brandon Albert was a LG instead of a LT at Virginia). I really like Michael Oher, but I assume, like you, that he will be out of reach, taken somewhere in the top 10.