PDA

View Full Version : J Peezy...is he stupid or just clueless

Ezekiel 25:17
12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3758183

Porter empathizes with Burress, defends athletes' need for guns

ESPN.com news services
Updated: December 9, 2008, 6:19 PM ET

Miami Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter had plenty to say when asked about New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress' latest troubles, and Porter can speak from experience.

Porter, in an interview that will be aired Wednesday morning on ESPN First Take (10 a.m. ET, ESPN2), said some NFL players feel the need to have a firearm to defend themselves and their families, and that Burress, while caught in not "the smartest situation," has been unfairly portrayed in the media.

"Plaxico is like a brother to me. I take it real personal how he's being treated," Porter said. "Everybody has their mistakes, but that's exactly what they are ... Until you've been in that situation, when you've been robbed at gunpoint or you've had a gun waved in your face or had your house broken into before or been carjacked, you really don't know what it's like."

Burress was injured in the early morning hours of Nov. 29 when a .40-caliber Glock he was carrying in his waistband slipped down his leg, and as he grabbed at it, he accidentally pulled the trigger and shot himself in the thigh.

Teammate Antonio Pierce drove Burress to the hospital, and the Giants suspended Burress for the final four games of the regular season and placed him on the non-football injury list. Pierce remains active.

"For a person to carry a gun, I mean, you're not carrying a gun to show that 'I'm tough.' It's safety, it's nothing but safety," Porter said.

Porter had his own scare on Aug. 30, 2003, when he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He decided to fly out to see Colorado State, his alma mater, face Colorado. Afterward, he went to a Denver bar with some friends and, while standing in a parking lot with about 150 other people, got caught in the middle of a shooting.

Denver police said Porter was an innocent bystander, and that the shooting, which left one dead and five others wounded, was possibly gang-related.

Porter was struck in the buttocks by a 9 mm bullet, which lodged in his right thigh. The Steelers had feared Porter would miss half the season, but his wounds healed so quickly he missed only two games.

In the season-opener, Burress, in his fourth year with the Steelers, wore a sticker on his helmet bearing Porter's No. 55.

"When you get out of a situation like that and you've been in harm's way, the first thing that goes through your mind, I'd rather get caught and take the little penalty from the media, whatever the situation may be, than not have a chance to save my life," Porter said.

"It's tough out there so I'm not gonna say I condone what happened. It was a mistake by [Plax]. I know he wish he never did it. But I don't think it's as bad as everybody made it seem, either."

Porter brought up the 2007 shooting death of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, and the September shooting of Jacksonville Jaguars offensive lineman Richard Collier, who is paralyzed below the waist as a result.

"They're making [Burress] out to be such a bad guy but you look at all the guys that's been robbed this year, all the home invasions, all the guys that's been shot, like Collier, look how many times he got shot," Porter said in the interview.

"I mean, you look at Sean Taylor, he was trying to go by the rules of not having a gun because he got in trouble earlier that year with the gun. Something as simple as that, he gets a home invasion and he gets killed over something simple."

Porter said he does not have a bodyguard, but acknowledged that he owns a firearm, and has a permit to carry a concealed weapon in California, but not in Florida.

"I'm not saying I'm walking down the street with a handgun on my hip," Porter said. " I'm not doing it for show. It's not fun. Hopefully, in my lifetime, I never have to use it."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who discussed the situation before Monday night's game between the Carolina Panthers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said the NFL has a strict gun policy but also must manage it against the constitutional right to bear arms

"The real issue to me, is when the players feel they're unsafe, they shouldn't be there," Goodell said. "So get out, don't be there. If you feel the need to have a firearm to be someplace, you're in the wrong place."

Porter countered that thinking, saying, "It's a tough situation. I mean we're always in the spotlight. So you can't tell a person to stop living your normal life. You're gonna go out and do these things.

"I've had my house broken into before ... I know Plax had been robbed before ... But it's tough for us to say we're professional athletes so we're not supposed to protect ourselves."

It's not about the gun, Joey. It's about the fact that he was carrying without a permit. That's illegal. What's the difference between Plax carrying an illegal piece and any kid on the street doing the same thing.

If you feel the need to carry, do it legally, for God's sake!! You're an NFL superstar. Especially given that he once had a permit to carry, as I understand it, it's ridiculous.

And Joey, genius that he is, doesn't address this fact. At all!!

Is he just stupid, or ignorant, or both? :wft

Lebsteel
12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
My guess is both....

NorCal-Steeler
12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Plax is the idiot Porter is just defending him. Plax should have ha a permit and i understand him wanting to carry a gun it is NY. Wasnt Javon Walker beat down in i think vegas earlier this year. Not only is Plax a star athlete he also is a current superbowl champ probly sporting some hardware at the club.
IF Plax had a permit he would just be called an idiot, the guy is always in trouble for failing to show for meetings and such. Nothing that i've heard shows any violent tendencies. No fights no strip bar shootings, nothing but self destruction.
Its not like Plax is carrying a gun in a greenbay night club, he is wrong he is an idiot he is ruining a great career but he is not a criminal.

mshifko
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah i know...peezy is sticking up for his boy, but i mean plax didn't legally have the right to carry that gun...he wouldn't face as much scrutiny had he had a permit for that gun...

costanza2k1
12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Had the man shot himself at home without a permit it would be ok. You can make the case he had it to protect his family. He was at a place that he felt uncomfortable at so he took a gun. Note to Plax and others: don't go to those places. I can remember Porter saying after he was popped in his rear that life was too short and he wouldn't put him self in that position blah blah blah...

It's a shame, Plax has some mad skills too. Now he's a lock for the Raiders or Cowboys.

12-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Had the man shot himself at home without a permit it would be ok. You can make the case he had it to protect his family. He was at a place that he felt uncomfortable at so he took a gun. Note to Plax and others: don't go to those places. I can remember Porter saying after he was popped in his rear that life was too short and he wouldn't put him self in that position blah blah blah...

It's a shame, Plax has some mad skills too. Now he's a lock for the Raiders or Cowboys.

Are you kidding me? If it was registered legally, then the answer is that he would be injured, but not facing jail!!! Shooting himself is not the crime. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is why he's facing 3.5 years manditory. He's a moron.

sd steel
12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
yes

RKSteel
12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Plax is the idiot Porter is just defending him. Plax should have ha a permit and i understand him wanting to carry a gun it is NY. Wasnt Javon Walker beat down in i think vegas earlier this year. Not only is Plax a star athlete he also is a current superbowl champ probly sporting some hardware at the club.
IF Plax had a permit he would just be called an idiot, the guy is always in trouble for failing to show for meetings and such. Nothing that i've heard shows any violent tendencies. No fights no strip bar shootings, nothing but self destruction.
Its not like Plax is carrying a gun in a greenbay night club, he is wrong he is an idiot he is ruining a great career but he is not a criminal.
Did you just finish watching "The Warriors?" :)
I work a block from the nightclub, its mid-town Manhattan, hotels and office buildings. No need to carry a gun. And yes he is a criminal now. It is illegal in NYC to carry an unlicensed hand gun. If you are going to break the law, then you have to be willing to accept the consequences.

flippy
12-10-2008, 10:55 AM
i admire porter for sticking up for plax when no one else is.

this is why i miss joey.

he might have made his own mistakes in the past, but he's a heck of a guy to have on your side.

it's hard to find loyalty and honesty in most people in this world.

despite his other shortcomings, porter is a special guy.

i think cowher and parcells both recognized this, because there's not another player on the planet that either would let get away with running their mouths the way porter does.

papillon
12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
My question is why does he believe he needs to carry? (And, I'm a pro-carry type of guy.) There are other high profile athletes and celebrities that are single and out on the town in New York/New Jersey/Connecticut and don't feel the need to carry. Of course, maybe they do, but, since, they haven't shot themselves yet we don't know about it.

Hire bodyguards if you feel you need the protection. Let them take the heat for carrying or doing whatever necessary to keep you safe. Having that much money and opening yourself up to something like this is just inconceivable to me.

If he wants to carry I'm fine with that, but, he has to have the legal permits and in New York/New Jersey it's not guaranteed you'll get one just because you apply. New York is a may-issue state, unlike, Pennsylvania which is a shall issue state. New York determines whether they believe you need to carry or not (unconstitutional in my book, but, that's another debate), while in Penssylvania as long as you have a clean record and apply for a carry permit you get it.

Pappy

costanza2k1
12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Are you kidding me? If it was registered legally, then the answer is that he would be injured, but not facing jail!!! Shooting himself is not the crime. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is why he's facing 3.5 years manditory. He's a moron.

I agree he's a moron regardless of shooting himself or not. I may have gotten off topic. He seems to be someone who has a difficult time following rules whether they're fair or not they're still rules.

NorCal-Steeler
12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
No doubt the guy is an idiot. I just feel he is getting the bashing because he is plax.
Look at Marvin Harrison who was accused of shooting another man. The gun was a custom made gun, made for Harrison. They found the gun in Harrisons property and it was fired. Now although we cant prove he did the shooting or he had it done either way he is more of a criminal than Plax. Harrison had intent to do injury or he impeded the investiation by not saying who had his gun.
Is Plax an idiot yes. Did he break the law yes. But that being said i dont think he should have to do time without priors.

feltdizz
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
No doubt the guy is an idiot. I just feel he is getting the bashing because he is plax.
Look at Marvin Harrison who was accused of shooting another man. The gun was a custom made gun, made for Harrison. They found the gun in Harrisons property and it was fired. Now although we cant prove he did the shooting or he had it done either way he is more of a criminal than Plax. Harrison had intent to do injury or he impeded the investiation by not saying who had his gun.
Is Plax an idiot yes. Did he break the law yes. But that being said i dont think he should have to do time without priors.

I feel you... Harrison was done when the story came out.. then poof.. nothing. It pays to be a WR of the better Manning... you know why Harrison's story didn't blow up? Cause Harrison isn't an Azzzz to reporters or his coach.

plus...Philly also has a gun law and if you have money you can get around it... ask Andy Reid's kids.

Plax is an aZZZ though.. you have over 40 team fines and cuss the coach out on national TV... no wonder the NYC Mayor is grandstanding... if Plax was Amani Tooman and did this it would have been over already.. swept under the rug. But this is what happens when you treat people like dirt and bite the hand that feeds you. When you need them most.. they treat you just like you would treat them.

12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

I feel you... Harrison was done when the story came out.. then poof.. nothing. It pays to be a WR of the better Manning... you know why Harrison's story didn't blow up? Cause Harrison isn't an Azzzz to reporters or his coach.

plus...Philly also has a gun law and if you have money you can get around it... ask Andy Reid's kids.

Plax is an aZZZ though.. you have over 40 team fines and cuss the coach out on national TV... no wonder the NYC Mayor is grandstanding... if Plax was Amani Tooman and did this it would have been over already.. swept under the rug. But this is what happens when you treat people like dirt and bite the hand that feeds you. When you need them most.. they treat you just like you would treat them.

Couple of things. I posted this on the Trib site a few times. I have some direct knowledge of the Marvin situation, and make no mistake, he is benefiting from preferential treatment from local law enforcement, lack of credibility of the victim and reluctance of witnesses to step forward. Marvin's hands aren't clean in this, but there were/are extenuating circumstances that 1.) had he a permit to carry there wouldn't be nearly the issue as this weapon being fired in Philly away from the home in which it's registered, and 2.) had he come forward, which he could not do, with the true circumstances, his image would have remained intact, although his health may not have. Believe me, it's a crazy situation. BTW, the weapon wasn't custom made for him, but it is a very rare gun.

Another point of clarity, Reid's sons were popped in the suburbs of Philly, not within the city limits.

Just trying to keep this board credible. :wink:

papillon
12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
[quote="NorCal-Steeler":38ei9lui]No doubt the guy is an idiot. I just feel he is getting the bashing because he is plax.

Couple of things. I posted this on the Trib site a few times. I have some direct knowledge of the Marvin situation, and make no mistake, he is benefiting from preferential treatment from local law enforcement, lack of credibility of the victim and reluctance of witnesses to step forward. Marvin's hands aren't clean in this, but there were/are extenuating circumstances that 1.) had he a permit to carry there wouldn't be nearly the issue as this weapon being fired in Philly away from the home in which it's registered, and 2.) had he come forward, which he could not do, with the true circumstances, his image would have remained intact, although his health may not have. Believe me, it's a crazy situation. BTW, the weapon wasn't custom made for him, but it is a very rare gun.

Another point of clarity, Reid's sons were popped in the suburbs of Philly, not within the city limits.

Just trying to keep this board credible. :wink:[/quote:38ei9lui]

Appreciate the info.

Pappy

12-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Here's a nugget on the weapon that Marvin owns and which was the alleged gun used in the alleged shooting that allegedly happened in North Philly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

It's an FN Five-seven semi-automatic pistol, and it is a NASTY focker...look at the cannons it shoots!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Five-seveN_USG.jpg/300px-Five-seveN_USG.jpg

01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
As indicated several months ago, the heat is getting ready to be turned up on Marvelous Marvin per PFT...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/ ... son-ended/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/06/philly-da-wanted-to-wait-until-harrisons-season-ended/)

PHILLY D.A. WANTED TO WAIT UNTIL HARRISON’S SEASON ENDED
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2009, 7:07 a.m. EST
Regarding Tuesday’s press conference as to the seven-plus-month-old investigation into who, if anyone, pulled the trigger on Marvin Harrison’s gun, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham had decided to wait until Harrison’s NFL season ended before announcing the outcome of the probe.

Per Paolantonio, police detectives had been “pressing [Abraham] for months” to bring the matter to a conclusion. The detectives also have believed, according to Paolantonio’s sources, that sufficient evidence exists to bring weapons charges against the 13-year NFL star.

Previously, reports had indicated that witnesses injured in the shooting were not being cooperative. In October 2008, however, news emerged that one of the victims has filed a civil lawsuit against Harrison.

But David Dixon, the plaintiff in that suit, has been charged with lying to police because he initially told the authorities he had been wounded while driving his car.

In our view, we suspect that Harrison is going to be charged with something. Though there might not be enough evidence to satisfy the very high standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt as to any allegation that Harrison fired the weapon, the fact that he owned the weapon involved in the shooting should be enough to result in some type of criminal liability, albeit minimal.

The most compelling fact, in our view? If Harrison were going to be cleared, there would have been no reason to wait until Harrison’s football season had ended before declaring his innocence.

Marv's got problems inm front of him, no doubt.

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I think this is why he dropped a lot of passes this year... funny how 2 days after the season ends.. Harrison's case is brought front and center...

This is a case where if it was Plax... or T.O..... it would have been a circus all season.

I could see this case going no where though cause the plaintiff smells like a loser.. but it sure does put a little rust on Harrison's image.

MeetJoeGreene
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't get the reasoning for waiting until the season ended.

Would they have waited until after tax season for an accountant?

proudpittsburgher
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't get the reasoning for waiting until the season ended.

Would they have waited until after tax season for an accountant?

Yea, agreed. I was shocked to see that Marvin Harrison was in the middle of all of this when it firt happened, mostly because he always seemed to be a quiet player with a quiet life, but it is growing more and more obvious that there is more to this story, and that Marvin is more involved than many think. But if this were just about any other player, it is front and center, and they do it right away.