PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan - Joe Flacco Debate

Iron Shiek
12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
So, a good discussion was going on with Solomon Wilcotts and Bruce Murray on The Red Zone on Sirius NFL Radio.

As they were discussing the rookie qbs, I couldn't help but think how these two guys will be linked forever in similar fashion as Ben-Rivers-Eli. And as always, who is better or more valuable to their team is the discussion that comes up.

For Ryan, he went into a dumpster fire and is coming up huge. Granted he is a rookie, but he comes from good coaching in college and has always been highly touted passer. The Falcons were a big question mark offensively (adding new starting rb, young wrs starting) and defensively (cleaned house basically). So while he is kind of expected to have his talent carry him, he came into a crap situation and has come out with a wonderful performance this year.

Joe Flacco inherited a top caliber defense (similar in fashion to Ben when he was thrust into the fire) which when/if he makes mistakes, at times the good defense is there to bail him out and make him not look too bad. Don't lose the game and be a game manager is usually the mantra. But one could argue Flacco's decent/good performance this year is more of a surprise and better than Ryan's for the simple fact that he came from Delaware (yes Delaware, are they DIV 1?) and was drafted as a backup and was not supposed to see a start basically at all this year with Boller and Troy Smith ahead on the depth chart. Unusual circumstances thrust him into the lineup and he has done very well also.

I guess overall they are two somewhat different situations, but to me I think Ryan essentially began with a headstart over Flacco in terms of upbringing and skill but Flacco has managed to stay even with Ryan, making his performance a more noteworthy feat.

Assess...

flippy
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Ryan may have the best WR in the league.

Flacco may have the craftiest WR in the league.

Both have great running games.

I give the edge to Ryan.

And I'm still miffed Pitt never played Flacco. I get mad at Dave W every time I hear Flacco's name.

ikestops85
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I have to disagree completely. Flacco has done a good job as the QB for the Ravens but they still rely on their defense to win games. Flacco's performance has reminded me of a mini-Ben rookie year performance. The difference being I don't think he has led his team from behind which Ben did several times his rookie year.

Ryan on the other hand has been fantastic. For a rookie to be thrown into that situation was extremely difficult but he has excelled. While the Atlanta running game was a beast early in the year as time went on the offense has migrated over to the pass. Ryan seem to be improving each and every week on a club with inferior talent and he definitely has been a big reason they are in playoff contention. In my mind you would have to go back many, many years before you would find a QB whose rookie season rivaled what Ryan is doing this year.

papillon
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I have to disagree completely. Flacco has done a good job as the QB for the Ravens but they still rely on their defense to win games. Flacco's performance has reminded me of a mini-Ben rookie year performance. The difference being I don't think he has led his team from behind which Ben did several times his rookie year.

Ryan on the other hand has been fantastic. For a rookie to be thrown into that situation was extremely difficult but he has excelled. While the Atlanta running game was a beast early in the year as time went on the offense has migrated over to the pass. Ryan seem to be improving each and every week on a club with inferior talent and he definitely has been a big reason they are in playoff contention. In my mind you would have to go back many, many years before you would find a QB whose rookie season rivaled what Ryan is doing this year.

:Agree

I think Ryan was handed the more difficult situation, but, Flacco has been very good as well. Two good young quarterbacks, hopefully, they aren't one year wonders.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Ryan had to become the face of the franchise as a rookie QB and he has shined in that role.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Ryan gets my offensive rookie of the year award. Although Flacco has been surprisingly good, he does not even make the top 5 of that list for me.

1. Matt Ryan
2. Chris Johnson
3. Matt Forte
4. Steve Slaton
5. Eddie Royal

SidSmythe
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Not Even Close

RYAN came to a terrible team ... along w/ some free agents has turned this team around.

Flacco is riding the Baltimore defense. Though I think Flacco is going to be a successful QB in this league (great character, great size w/ elusiveness and close to the best arm i've ever seen), Flacco has been inconsistent behind a very solid team.

THOUGH its all lost in the archives of the Trib Message board, I was big on Ryan coming out of college.

Iron Shiek
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah most of you guys are probably right, and I think Ryan is having the better year...the stats bear that out. But my argument was rooted in where both of them came from. Ryan has been groomed from early on to be the "face of a franchise" and while he has come up big earlier than most people thought, you can't discount Flacco at all in my mind. While I hate the rats, this dude was basically a roll of the dice guy who was supposed to ride pine for a few years and is keeping his offense moving. Sure the defense is the story in rat land, but I still think Flacco has made a bigger leap than Ryan (but with that said it only gets him to just under Ryan's level, Ryan still producing more for his team).

I hope that makes sense,.

Chadman
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
This year's rookie class are having a bigger impact than in previous years, in Chadman's opinion.

It's like they came in better prepared or something.

As good as Ryan has been, it would seem a shame for Chris Johnson to miss ROY after his efforts.

And Stewart in Carolina is a beast too.

SteelTorch
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Not even close, IMO. Flacco's been doing decent, but Matt Ryan has been the far more impressive. Flacco looks great beating up on poor defenses, and his WR's and running game bale him out of bad throws quite often. With Ben, the opposite usually tends to be true.

feltdizz
12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't think you can really give it to either just yet...

Flacco- has a great D and runs a pretty conservative offense.. but he doesn't make the rookie mistakes you would expect so he gets props for that.

Ryan- has a great running back and plays in a dome for 8 games....
plus, you really need to ask yourself how bad Atlanta was? They lost Vick, had a disastrous media filled camp and had a coach bail on them mid-season. They also got rid of that cancer at CB.. Hall.

I think it's a tie... both are playing within the offense.. but I think the stretch run and true test are still to come. Ryan has big game experience but we will see who shows up when the lights are on in these critical games.

steelblood
12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I've watched all of Matt Ryan's games as my son is a Falcon's fan. Matt Ryan is a leader and has made some houdini throws this year. He had tons more pressure on him with that giant contract and a team that was blown up and rebuilt. Flacco has been impressive, but Matt Ryan is the best rookie QB I've ever seen (25 years of watching football). Brian Billick commented during the last game that three defensive coordinators have told him that Ryan is so good that it is a losing proposition to blitz him. He has the poise, recognition skills, quick release, and anticipation to make teams pay for blitzing him.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM

I think Ryan was handed the more difficult situation, but, Flacco has been very good as well. Two good young quarterbacks, hopefully, they aren't one year wonders.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Pappy

I hope one of them is a one year wonder. :ratsuck

http://www.nfl-nba-mlb-nhl.com/images/12026346922271406386648.gif