PDA

View Full Version : Steelers News - Information or Affirmation???

flippy
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I was thinking about all the different outlets for Steelers news. From local media, to national media, to fans, to message boards. And I'm curious where you guys like to get the best information.

I enjoy diversity in a message board. The information from traditional media + commentary + individual analysis is where it's at for me.

But how do I know I'm being informed versus being affirmed in my preconceived beliefs?

I think I need as broad a perspective as possible.

And I need to engage with people who think different than me.

But the problem becomes how to encourage that in a constructive way?

How can we seek information when we're all predisposed to wanting affirmation?

I wonder if I'm subconciously blocking out true information as noise that doesn't affirm my beliefs?

Iron Shiek
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I try to post anything I see regarding our team...good or bad. I don't do nearly the job that Fordfixer did a while back, we'd get some great links from him.

But at least if you see articles posted from me, know that I show no bias in the love or hate coming from the media member/outlet that I cite.

flippy
12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I try to post anything I see regarding our team...good or bad. I don't do nearly the job that Fordfixer did a while back, we'd get some great links from him.

But at least if you see articles posted from me, know that I show no bias in the love or hate coming from the media member/outlet that I cite.

It'd be nice to get SteelerGenie over here. He posted everything out there. It was kinda nice having all the articles in one place.

MeetJoeGreene
12-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Where is Fordfixer? He and NKY used to be the clearinghouse sources.

I agree that I like to READ everything.
And then see the discussions here (I like the diversity of opinion).

Jigawatts
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I always thought the tribs SteelerGenie and the Planets Fordfixer were one in the same.
They seemed to post the same information here and there.

Fordfixer, can you confirm this?

flippy
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I always thought the tribs SteelerGenie and the Planets Fordfixer were one in the same.

Sweet. Come back if it's you. I've been missing the Steeler Genie/Fordfixer fix.

AngryAsian
12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Flippy I think that a message board like this is a "One stop shopping outlet." You have posters who are real avid about posting articles. For awhile Fordfixer was a beast and between midnight and 2am EST nightly he'd start posting all the articles from all major and local news agencies so, everyone who logged on didn't ever have to do a search. Then you have some on this board who'd do their personal analysis of the both what's out on the media along with their own take on things. Costanza is our resident tech head so he'd always post some kind of youtube vid worth watching with either informational or comedic effect. And speaking of comedic effect we have Jiga and Ruthless with their witty perspectives, but I still haven't determined who sings the songs and who tells the jokes. I thoroughly missed some of the perspectives that have now started posting here from the Trib. Lonbull is one who I'd love to have make the migration. That's what I enjoy about this board, the amalgam of everybody's critical analysis, infuse with all the constructive personalities.

MeetJoeGreene
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM

I thought the same thing.... they posted similar articles and similar times. But is fordfixer MIA???

costanza2k1
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I thought the same thing.... they posted similar articles and similar times. But is fordfixer MIA???

Fordfixer is having laptop/cpu problems last I heard. Once he gets access to a steady PC he'll be back in full force. I believe genie and ff are 2 sep people.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2008, 05:58 PM
And speaking of comedic effect we have Jiga and Ruthless with their witty perspectives, but I still haven't determined who sings the songs and who tells the jokes.

"I write the songs that make the whole world sing..."

http://wishboneclover.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/24/manilow.jpg

:lol:

flippy
12-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Fordfixer is having laptop/cpu problems last I heard. Once he gets access to a steady PC he'll be back in full force. I believe genie and ff are 2 sep people.

anyone know genie?

Jigawatts
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
And speaking of comedic effect we have Jiga and Ruthless with their witty perspectives, but I still haven't determined who sings the songs and who tells the jokes.

"I write the songs that make the whole world sing..."

http://wishboneclover.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/24/manilow.jpg

:lol:

I guess that makes me Rocco the funny man.

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/P/patrickashe/1046051496_sqbsrocco1.jpg

Iron Shiek
12-09-2008, 07:53 PM

I've actually seen him chime in every now and then if I'm not mistaken; but yes I recall him saying the same thing about the laptop issues...