PDA

View Full Version : Jones Questions Barber's Toughness...

Jooser
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
:shock: WTF is Jerry Jones thinking. I guess things are starting to melt down in Big D after losing to us on Sunday. I think Jones is taking that loss much harder than anyone anticipated, but to take it out on one of the better RBs in the league is a huge mistake. I'd take Barber in a minute if he wanted to jump ship.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,127609 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jerry-Jones-is-apparently-tougher-than-Marion-Ba?urn=nfl,127609)

Jerry Jones is apparently tougher than Marion Barber
By MJD
At the very least, Mr. Jones believes he's in a position to question Marion Barber's toughness. Barber didn't play in Pittsburgh yesterday with calf and pinkie toe injuries, and Jones roundaboutly called him a sissy yesterday. From Star-Telegram.com:

Jones believed Barber’s dislocated right pinkie toe was an injury that he could have played with against Pittsburgh. Before the team boarded for its flight to Pittsburgh on Saturday, Jones was stunned Barber did not make the trip.

After not practicing all week and with an additional sore calf, Barber felt he couldn’t play. Jones said Barber could have taped and braced the toe well enough to allow him to play.

"He can play with that injured toe," Jones said. "He can play with the soreness and a combination of those things. I see nothing that led us to believe he couldn’t."

That's a fantastic way to alienate a running back. I'd love to be there when Jones calls Barber into his office and says, "Awww, does him him a wittle pinkie toe boo-boo?"

I think it's usually best to tread lightly where another man's injury is concerned, especially for a guy like Barber, whose toughness, to my knowledge, has never been up for debate before. I'm sure Mr. Jones is frustrated after the loss, but unless he's dealt with the exact same injuries and performed the exact same tasks he's asking someone else to perform, it's probably not wise to call that guy a wuss.

I wouldn't count on that Barber/Cowboys relationship lasting a whole lot longer. If Jones thinks Barber's a sissy, and is willing to publicly insult him about it, I can't see him making Barber a cornerstone of the franchise, either. And I can't see Barber wanting to play for a guy who thinks he's Charmin-soft.

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Jerry Jones is an example of what is right AND what is wrong with ownership in the league. On one hand, I have no doubt that he cares greatly for his team, and he brings a lot of money to the NFL. On the other hand, the guy needs to learn his role. He will never be able to hire the people and let them do their jobs. It's a circus in Dallas year in and year out. I have no doubt he said this just so he can get more media coverage to his beloved Cryboys. Coverage is coverage to him. Good, bad, it's all the same, as long as they are talking about the Cowboys, JJ is happy.

flippy
12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
They are just covering up that they wanted to save Barber from the pounding he was gonna get in Pittsburgh.

Better to have a healthy Barber for the next 3 games in the conference.

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
They are just covering up that they wanted to save Barber from the pounding he was gonna get in Pittsburgh.

Covering up would be to just have him miss the game from injury and letting it be. Why bring all this crap up?

RKSteel
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I wish Barber had played. I think the Steelers would have had better success stopping MB, a more n/s runner, than the guy Choice. Smaller, shiftier type backs give the Steelers problems.

AngryAsian
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I detest Jerry Jones. I think he's not only arrogant but a putz as well. As for his franchise, he's still suffering a hangover from the 90s. The only reason why he won those trophies was because the other JJ built the team.

flippy
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Covering up would be to just have him miss the game from injury and letting it be. Why bring all this crap up?

To divert us from the real story.

steelsnis
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm a Sixers fan, and this story totally reminds me of the former Sixer's owner Harold Katz back in the early 80's.

Katz publicly questioned the validity of the injuries to one of their star players, Andrew Toney. Toney had terrible foot problems that cut his promising career short. In fact Charles Barkely has stated that Toney was the single best player he ever played with (that includes Doc, Moses, etc).

Here's a quote about Andrew Toney:
Larry Bird once said "Do I remember Andrew Toney? The Boston Strangler? Yeah, I remember him. I wish we would've had him. He was a killer. We called him the Boston Strangler because every time he got a hold of the ball we knew he was going to score. He was the absolute best I've ever seen at shooting the ball at crucial times. We had nobody who could come close to stopping him. Nobody."

Anyway, Katz's meddling and public grousing doomed the relationship with the team to the point where Toney won't even come back now for any events, even though Katz is long gone as team owner. It turned out Toney had stress fractures all throughout his feet and was totally hobbled because of it, but the equipment at the time couldn't detect them. Katz thought he was faking the injuries.

In my opinion, having a high-profile windbag like Jones is exactly the opposite of what you want in an owner.

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I detest Jerry Jones. I think he's not only arrogant but a putz as well. As for his franchise, he's still suffering a hangover from the 90s. The only reason why he won those trophies was because the other JJ built the team.

Jermaine Jackson???

http://www.missxpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/jermainejackson.jpg

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
The beginning of the end of the Cowboys season was Romo's pinkie injury.

The first nail in the coffin was Sunday's loss to us :tt1

Jones making comments like this signals the final chapter in the Cowboy's season. It's over folks. Move along. Nothing more to see here.

And I laugh at their pain.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

feltdizz
12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Jones said it and he meant. it..

He has Felix Jones on IR and a rookie...
Dallas really needed this game for the playoffs...
if they miss the playoffs I see Dallas trading Barber...

with Barber missing practice I think it was obvious he was hurt but with 4 games left.... I agree with Jerry Jones.. Barber has to fight through it.

I can't believe JJ called him out like that but after watching Choice I think JJ holds the trump card with this one... Barber is tough but he isn't shifty or fast.

Felix Jones and Choice... Barber gets cut. It's football and it's a business...

and people wonder why Ben didn't sit after the Washington game.. you sit.. another guy shines and next thing you know you are forgotten. Look at Romo and Ben...both benefited from injuries...

if Lefty was Romo's back up and lit up Washington I bet you Romo comes back a lot faster then he did with Brad Johnson.

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Jones said it and he meant. it..

He has Felix Jones on IR and a rookie...
Dallas really needed this game for the playoffs...
if they miss the playoffs I see Dallas trading Barber...

with Barber missing practice I think it was obvious he was hurt but with 4 games left.... I agree with Jerry Jones.. Barber has to fight through it.

I can't believe JJ called him out like that but after watching Choice I think JJ holds the trump card with this one... Barber is tough but he isn't shifty or fast.

Felix Jones and Choice... Barber gets cut. It's football and it's a business...

and people wonder why Ben didn't sit after the Washington game.. you sit.. another guy shines and next thing you know you are forgotten. Look at Romo and Ben...both benefited from injuries...

if Lefty was Romo's back up and lit up Washington I bet you Romo comes back a lot faster then he did with Brad Johnson.

Excellent points. But dizz, refresh my memory. Did Romo get in because of an injury to Bledsoe?

feltdizz
12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I really thought Romo started due to injury but when oyu said Bledsoe I remembered him just stinking the place up cause he couldn't avoid the rush..

yep you are right.. my apologies.. he just took over a statue Bledsoe who was about to get hurt. LOL!

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I really thought Romo started due to injury but when oyu said Bledsoe I remembered him just stinking the place up cause he couldn't avoid the rush..

yep you are right.. my apologies.. he just took over a statue Bledsoe who was about to get hurt. LOL!

I wasn't saying you were wrong. I just don't remember.

SidSmythe
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I think we should suit up Jerry Jones and have him do tackling drills w/ Marion Barber. May the toughest man win. :D

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Jermaine Jackson???

http://www.missxpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/jermainejackson.jpg

No. The "other JJ" was obviously referencing Jimmie.

Jimmie "JJ" Walker, that is!

http://www.tshizzle.com/tshirts/Other/dynomite-large.jpg

Big Kahuna Burgher
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I hate to side with Jerry Jones, but I too was shocked Barber didn't at least try to play,
it wasn't a turf toe injury, I think they could have taped it up, injected it with some lidocaine and go out and play. The game was nearly a must win for them to make the playoffs. Ronnie Lott had his pinkie finger amputated so he could play the next week, now that right there is tough.