PDA

View Full Version : Goal line offense

Herewegosteelers!
12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone else worried it might cost them a game either in the rest of the regular season or even the playoffs? Russell might be their best option but should they do something different like throw to Heath or Spaeth?

pittpete
12-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe spread it out and get everyone off the line instead of mano y mano.
Lets face it we are not muscling anyone on the line of scrimmage lately.

Chachi
12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Well.....

The Steelers have proven they are not a goal line running team.

Put it in Ben's hands.......

Can't be any worse.

What are they afraid of?

Expect it next time....count on it.

GreggyDigital
12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Would PA on first really hurt this team? I really don't think we've tried that the entire year.

Or, shoot, spread em out. Something different. What we've been doing clearly isn't working.

stlrz d
12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I wish they would roll Ben out and give him the option to run or pass.

Or the little pitch play that they used to run to Freddie Mac and Verron. Get the D going one way and pitch it to the back going the other way.

Man it would be nice to have Mularkey or Whiz back at the OC spot.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I wish they would roll Ben out and give him the option to run or pass.

Or the little pitch play that they used to run to Freddie Mac and Verron. Get the D going one way and pitch it to the back going the other way.

Man it would be nice to have Mularkey or Whiz back at the OC spot.

Put a fullback in front of FWP or Russell, play action left to them, have Ben roll right and either flip it over Ray Ray's head to Miller/Spaeth, or run it in himself. Guaranteed TD!

SteelerOfDeVille
12-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Anyone else worried it might cost them a game either in the rest of the regular season or even the playoffs? Russell might be their best option but should they do something different like throw to Heath or Spaeth?
i'm seriously waiting for the pass.. surely there's some reason to have all those darned TEs on the field and not a FB to lead the way...

flippy
12-09-2008, 05:48 AM
WHy don't we ever pitch it to Parker or Moore and let them try to beat the defense to the edge?

How bout a little Denny Dixon in the slash roll to change things up? That Slash roll was effective in the year we went to XXX.

AngryAsian
12-09-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm just an arm chair offensive coordinator so of course my thoughts on the subject border fantasy land. For goal line, why can't we get creative? How about putting Casey Hampton in at FB? Who is going to be able to stop that? I'm sure he'd take out at least one or two would be tacklers. Just my lunacy at work. I remember the 85 bears using a DT quite effectively as a goal line RB... scored a TD in a SuperBowl once, too.

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm just an arm chair offensive coordinator so of course my thoughts on the subject border fantasy land. For goal line, why can't we get creative? How about putting Casey Hampton in at FB? Who is going to be able to stop that? I'm sure he'd take out at least one or two would be tacklers. Just my lunacy at work. I remember the 85 bears using a DT quite effectively as a goal line RB... scored a TD in a SuperBowl once, too.

That is a great idea. The only thing I'd be worried about is Snack injuring our o-line on his way to 6.

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Until it's legal to move towards the LOS before the snap I don't think that would work! :lol:

flippy
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM

I always thought it'd be neat to try James Harrison at FB with Troy P at RB.

Smitty and Keisel could line up at TE.

Casey could be the blocking TE.

Load em up!!!!!

Oviedo
12-09-2008, 09:18 AM

Miller and Spaeth are both underutilized in the red zone. Spaeth has a freakin 7" height advantage on any DB trying to cover him. Throw a freakin jump ball. This needs to be fixed.

Iron Shiek
12-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Load em up!!!!!

A couple weeks ago someone mentioned throwing Harrison into the goalline package and I think its a fantastic idea. I liken it to the Cheaters with their multiple looks using Vrable and Seau throughout the years. And you know Harrison would be up for anything to help the team...I too would like to see some creativity.

SteelTorch
12-09-2008, 09:30 AM
That's funny because I distinctly remember Casey trying that in practice one day and getting LIT up.

rpmpit
12-09-2008, 09:36 AM
That's funny because I distinctly remember Casey trying that in practice one day and getting LIT up.

By who???

AngryAsian
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM

Load em up!!!!!

I think if the Steeler's FO would get rid of Arians and get some of us to collectively act as interim OC in his stead, we would not only get great vantage points for unbelievable critical analysis that this board would directly benefit from, but hell we might score few more TDs in the process. :lol:

The Harrison idea has merit and Snack as the blocking TE. Shiek's reference with NE's goal line packages seemed pretty successful. Creativity is lacking. I guess that's what frustrates the fan base. 2005 we had our own version of SMASH/DASH in the running game and sprinkled the trick plays here and there (which was Whiz's forte). And I think this team with the exception of a couple of pieces on the OL, is far and away much more talented than the one that won it all in 2005. We just need to be more creative. As someone said before on another thread. Before teams knew we were coming with the run and feared it.... nowadays (like that goal line failure this past weekend) teams know we are coming with the run and have no fear. 23rd in the league in rushing, not impressive.

SteelTorch
12-09-2008, 10:37 AM

By who???
Here. Read for yourself. Mind you, it happened last year.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/multimedia/s_519649.html

pfelix73
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Casey is too slow to get to the LOS before the RB....But you have the right idea.

Load up one side with 2 or 3 tackles. One of the Guards would probably be a better option at FB or maybe even Woodley or Harrison.

GreggyDigital
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Not unheard of to do this although Casey really wouldn't be my first pick. You need someone huge but able to hit the hole (That's what she said). Casey would most likely waddle to it.

I think a player like Kiesel would be a much better fit.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Not unheard of to do this although Casey really wouldn't be my first pick. You need someone huge but able to hit the hole (That's what she said). Casey would most likely waddle to it.

I think a player like Kiesel would be a much better fit.

They did experiment with Brett Keisel at TE and James Harrison at FB in goal line situations at training camp a few years ago.

ikestops85
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Hampton's strength is lining up and then not moving ... no matter who tries to move him. It is not him moving someone else. He is too slow for that. If we try something like that lets use an O lineman who at least knows how to block (although watching Colon on that goal line play last week leads me to wonder).

If we can't just line up and run over them lets baffle them with BS. I like the suggestion of Dennis Dixon in a slash type of role. He's quick, elusive and can throw the ball. My other suggestion would be Hines in the wildcat type of offense. He's tough, smart and can also throw the ball.

Note: These ideas sound a whole lot better on Sunday afternoons after I've had few cold ones. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Hampton's strength is lining up and then not moving ... no matter who tries to move him. It is not him moving someone else. He is too slow for that. If we try something like that lets use an O lineman who at least knows how to block (although watching Colon on that goal line play last week leads me to wonder).

If we can't just line up and run over them lets baffle them with BS. I like the suggestion of Dennis Dixon in a slash type of role. He's quick, elusive and can throw the ball. My other suggestion would be Hines in the wildcat type of offense. He's tough, smart and can also throw the ball.

Note: These ideas sound a whole lot better on Sunday afternoons after I've had few cold ones. :Cheers

Remember, since Dixon is designated to be the 3rd emergency QB, if he enters the game, you cannot put Ben or Lefty back in again.

ikestops85
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Remember, since Dixon is designated to be the 3rd emergency QB, if he enters the game, you cannot put Ben or Lefty back in again.

That is why I'd rather have Dixon activated on game days and have Lefty as the emergency QB. If Ben goes down with something serious we put in Lefty and sit Dixon. Dixon can still come back in if Lefty gets hurt. Also, what are the rules on designating QBs? Does Dixon HAVE to be declared a QB? Couldn't we say he is a RB or WR?

and speaking of backup QBs it brings up a pet peeve of mine. :x Why don't we use the backup QB as the holder for FGs? Why use the punter? He provides no versatility what so ever. At least with a QB in there they would have to think about a fake.

NorthCoast
12-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Sadly, creativity is not one of Arians' best attributes...(not sure it is even an attribute he has). I just get the impression the Offense has been dumbed down this year for some reason. Is Ben having trouble with expanded duties? This kind of reminds he of Ben's rookie year from the playcalling standpoint (not his play). I think most of us here can recognize half the plays before they run them, so it must be a cakewalk for the opposing D's scouts. Maybe the lack of OL talent is really dragging down what can be done, ..... it sure is frustrating to watch.

skyhawk
12-09-2008, 09:41 PM
A goal line Offense without a FB is NOT a goal line offense.

sd steel
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
The truth of the matter is if Arians wanted to get creative we could score at will on the goal line now, especially because we have been so one dimensional all year long. We have been using a fullback, but when Russell was successful he ran to the opposite side of the fullback dive. I read that Kemo has been tipping the play to the defense by his stance etc.

I don't think the issue is scoring in the minds of our coaching staff, I the the issue is "imposing our will", and being able to shove it down someone's throat. That is Steeler football, and although we might not have the talent or scheme to do it, that has been the plan.

A Ben or Dixon roll out would score, a quick pitch to Willie would score, and if we spread it we score, but I think the Steelers are trying to show everyone that we can score mano y mano.

It might help us in the upcoming games because everyone now expects us to keep trying to muscle it, so everything else should be open, but we could continue trying to impose our will too. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-10-2008, 12:20 AM
The truth of the matter is if Arians wanted to get creative we could score at will on the goal line now, especially because we have been so one dimensional all year long. We have been using a fullback, but when Russell was successful he ran to the opposite side of the fullback dive. I read that Kemo has been tipping the play to the defense by his stance etc.

I don't think the issue is scoring in the minds of our coaching staff, I the the issue is "imposing our will", and being able to shove it down someone's throat. That is Steeler football, and although we might not have the talent or scheme to do it, that has been the plan.

A Ben or Dixon roll out would score, a quick pitch to Willie would score, and if we spread it we score, but I think the Steelers are trying to show everyone that we can score mano y mano.

It might help us in the upcoming games because everyone now expects us to keep trying to muscle it, so everything else should be open, but we could continue trying to impose our will too. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

You know, I think that you're on to something there. Whether by design (or, more likely, by accident) we've put the opposing D coordinators in a bit of a bind now. They'd be fools not to bet on our trying to run the ball when we're down near the goal line, because, "obviously". we've shown we're too stupid to think of something new.

So, I'd say we have at least 1, or maybe 2, guaranteed scores down there when we pull out a non-running play.

Given the opportunity, I'd say we use one of those up this weekend against the Carrion Barfers.

Djfan
12-10-2008, 04:44 AM
All good points, gentlemen.

I would like to see Harrison being the lead blocker for Timmons. Talk about thunder and lighting.

Also, Tomlin can't be this blind. He can be this loyal to his staff, but not blind. This has to have come up somewhere.

Whomever called the tree top pass to Spaeth is on target. He's an oak.