PDA

View Full Version : #1 Seed in AFC

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Anyone think we have a shot at the #1 seed in the AFC?

Thats what I'm rooting for.

I was rooting for the Browns yesterday......ewwww..... :brownssuck

:Agree

Steeler Shades
12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I think we'll have to work for the second seed. I'll be delighted to have a couple of home games. 8)

Ezekiel 25:17
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
It's not as crazy as it sounds, Flip. We'd have to win out and Ten has to lose 2 of their last 3. Clearly two weeks from now we have to win. Lose that, and it's over. Win it (assuming we beat the Rats this week which is no easy task) and beat the Stains, who are absolutely pitiful, and we've done what we can.

Ten play the Texans this week, which they should win, then us then Indy, who at that point will be playing for a playoff spot.

If this happens, we both end up 13-3 and we've won the head to head.

Not unthinkable. But our offense has to stop being offensive.

buckeyehoppy
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes! We have a very good chance to get the #1 seed. But that will only happen if they run the table.

If the Steelers win out in the regular season, I find it very doubtful that Tennessee wins both road games against Houston and Indy

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I think Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, Kevin Walter, and Owen Daniels can do some damage against that tough Titan D next week. I think Mario Williams and the d-line will be able to get to Kerry Collins next week. I hope DeMeco Ryans and the linebackers can keep Chris Johnson and LenDale White somewhat in check next week.

The first meeting was 31-12 Tennessee in their second game of the season, but that was after our Steelers ravaged their team in the opener and a hurricane ravaged their city and stadium, forcing an unanticipated early bye week in week 2. They are a different team now on a 3 game win streak and look to be dangerous with Schaub healthy again.

I'm hoping to clinch the division with a win in Baltimore next week while the Texans upset the Titans in Houston. Then we can surpass the Titans for top seed the following week in Nashville. The only thing we would need to maintain home field throughout at that point would be to hold serve against the lowly Browns at Heinz.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I think we'll have to work for the second seed. I'll be delighted to have a couple of home games. 8)

I'd be delighted to see the rest of the woman in your sig. :Boobs

Edited: Well, not now! :shock:

Pappy

Steeler Shades
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd be delighted to see the rest of the woman in your sig. :Boobs

Pappy
If I showed you anymore, I'd be relegated to the Trib site. 8)

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
We have a shot at it... Texans are pretty good on O so I expect them to give the Titans a nice battle.

I almost don't want homefield... Our O looks so bad at home I almost want to be on the road so we don't play tight.

papillon
12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
We have a shot at it... Texans are pretty good on O so I expect them to give the Titans a nice battle.

I almost don't want homefield... Our O looks so bad at home I almost want to be on the road so we don't play tight.

The #2 seed would be good by me, one at home and potentially, one on the road. I've mentioned in another thread that a win over the Ravens gives the Steelers the AFCN and the #2 seed.

Use the last two games to play the starters for a half in each of them and then give backups some reps against real live NFL football just in case we need them.

I know Tomlin would never do that, he's an intense competitor and likes to win.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 05:23 PM

The #2 seed would be good by me, one at home and potentially, one on the road. I've mentioned in another thread that a win over the Ravens gives the Steelers the AFCN and the #2 seed.

Use the last two games to play the starters for a half in each of them and then give backups some reps against real live NFL football just in case we need them.

I know Tomlin would never do that, he's an intense competitor and likes to win.

Pappy

If we win this week and the Titans lose, the game in Tennessee would be odd...since both teams will have already clinched the division and the first round bye. They'd be playing simply to decide where they would play should their paths cross again in the AFC Championship game.

Steeler Shades
12-08-2008, 05:26 PM
... They'd be playing simply to decide where they would play should their paths cross again in the AFC Championship game.
IMHO....an important consideration. I don't think ANY team would rather play on the road instead of home. Just the travel time and the ability to practice on your own field is a big benefit. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
... They'd be playing simply to decide where they would play should their paths cross again in the AFC Championship game.
IMHO....an important consideration. I don't think ANY team would rather play on the road instead of home. Just the travel time and the ability to practice on your own field is a big benefit. 8)

Oh, absolutely. I agree totally. I just think it would be an oddity for two teams to play each other after sewing up the top 2 seeds in their conference. We shall meet again...we will now find out where that will be. :wink:

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM

I would think our players would want to be on the road. There is something about beating a team in their own house that really gets a team up.

Looking at our AFCCG's at home... I think even the Rooneys would give up the concession for a SB trip.

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Oh, absolutely. I agree totally. I just think it would be an oddity for two teams to play each other after sewing up the top 2 seeds in their conference. We shall meet again...we will now find out where that will be. :wink:

Unfortunately I don't think the #1 and #2 teams will play each other in the AFCCG.. rarely does the #1 and #2 advance. I could see the Titans getting knocked out their first game. AFC is all about the upset in the playoffs... That's why I don't want that #1 seed

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
i been saying it... we win out, beat Tennessee, and Indy will also beat them... Homefield is ours.

D Rock
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
i been saying it... we win out, beat Tennessee, and Indy will also beat them... Homefield is ours.

I agree with everyone saying they don't want the #1 seed and homefield. That's not to say I want to see the Steelers lose that opportunity, but I want the Titans to only lose against us so they take it.

Titans beating Indy is a good thing. That team is streaky and keeping them out of the playoffs is a good thing. If it is between the Colts and Ravens getting in though, let the Colts in by all means. Ideally I want the Jets, Pats, and Dolphins all in because they had an easy road this season and are the worst teams with a chance to get in.

Steelers in the playoffs on the road > Steelers in the playoffs at home, IMO.

Ballbuster
12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Steelers in the playoffs on the road > Steelers in the playoffs at home, IMO.

And I thought message forums were full of nonsense and drivel.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Disagree. You want teams to have to come to Heinz Field in January. Cold, mud, snow, whatever. Although we were road warriors back in '05, and the Giants accomplished the same feat last year, the most direct path to the Super Bowl is through your own house.
(Besides, I also want to be able to attend as many playoffs games as I can :tt2 :tt1 )