PDA

View Full Version : "Did you all really call a time out?"

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
"Did you all really call a time out?" Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo yelled across the line to the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley and James Farrior.

"Yeah, what's your problem?" Farrior responded.

next play INT for a TD!!! :Beer

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

Foolrhomo thought we'd let them run out the clock, because their kicker would have had to kick into the wind, and leave the game to the fate of a coin toss.

Coaching decision to defer on the opening coin toss looks good in retrospec...

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Before I saw the following play, I wondered if that was the right call.

My thought was it gives the offense a chance to come up with a better play.

I never considered it was extra time for Lebeau to call the "Triple Lindy".

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
"Did you all really call a time out?" Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo yelled across the line to the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley and James Farrior.

I said to my wife, "now, that's just arrogance. THEY have the ball and THEY are trying to score. But, we call timeout, like 'you're not gonna score AND we don't want you running out our time.'"

Crazy decision. It worked - but, if Dallas had made the game winning drive and kicked a FG after calling their last timeout, Tomlin would have been criticized to no end for that one.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
it was a GREAT call.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM

I said to my wife, "now, that's just arrogance. THEY have the ball and THEY are trying to score. But, we call timeout, like 'you're not gonna score AND we don't want you running out our time.'"

Crazy decision. It worked - but, if Dallas had made the game winning drive and kicked a FG after calling their last timeout, Tomlin would have been criticized to no end for that one.

I wasn't surprised by that tactic. It seemed like with the fact that the Cowboys had poor field position and ran the ball with less than 2 minutes to go, they were satisfied with playing for OT. However, Tomlin figured that if they wanted to run the ball 3 times, we can call three timeouts, force you to punt, then we'll have decent field position with about a minute-and-a-half to play. Of course, picking off a pass on the next play and running it in for a TD works too. :D

agdci981
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Not doubting you but where did you see this at?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 02:21 PM

I wasn't surprised by that tactic. It seemed like with the fact that the Cowboys had poor field position and ran the ball with less than 2 minutes to go, they were satisfied with playing for OT. However, Tomlin figured that if they wanted to run the ball 3 times, we can call three timeouts, force you to punt, then we'll have decent field position with about a minute-and-a-half to play. Of course, picking off a pass on the next play and running it in for a TD works too. :D
I'm not convinced that they were playing for OT... I think they would have conservatively tried to get a first down or two and if they did, would have opened it up.

Romo just blew it. :Boobs

SteelerNation1
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM

They talked about this on the postgame show w/Tunch and Wolf. Great comments on it...Romo is an idiot

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Tomlin also commented on it in the post game PC. He referenced the coverage on the KO that smothered Dallas on the 15.

Remember when we all held our breath on every KO? The Steelers KO coverage is been top shelf this year.

Pete

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Tomlin also commented on it in the post game PC. He referenced the coverage on the KO that smothered Dallas on the 15.

Remember when we all held our breath on every KO? The Steelers KO coverage is been top shelf this year.

Pete

Hats off to the unsung guys like Key Fox and Patrick Bailey. :Bow

Djfan
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Pete

Word.

Iron Shiek
12-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Pete

That is because Key is a stud and leads that unit like Harrison leads the D! Great signing by the FO! :Cheers
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/57/579716.jpg

MeetJoeGreene
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
That is an awesome comeback by Farrior.

Given their gain on first down, I would have done the same thing.

Tomlin is a lot more agressive than Cowher......

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Pete

Agreed. Props to Tomlin for doing what Cowher never did get a handle on.

And add the pair of Anthony's to that special teams contributor list ==> Madison and Smith. Andre Frazier has contrubuted too. Heck, come to think of it, Carey Davis has been downfield and made tackles a time or two on ko's.

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Pete

And add the pair of Anthony's to that special teams contributor list ==> Madison and Smith. Andre Frazier has contrubuted too. Heck, come to think of it, Carey Davis has been downfield and made tackles a time or two on ko's.

I don't mean to shift the topic, but how about Frazier almost removing Pac Man's arm on that return that he fumbled? :shock: It looked like Andre was looking to take home a souvenir.

Pete

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Pete

Yeah, it sucked last year waiting for a special teams play by us ... "who's going to fubar this time?", was what I'd think each time.

In addition to everything you guys are saying, I like the fact that these guys stay HOME during coverage ... they have great discipline. As a result the return guy runs about 40 yards on each kickoff, but it's laterally!

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM

post gazette.. my bad here is the link

http://postgazette.com/pg/08343/933638-66.stm

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
That is an awesome comeback by Farrior.

Given their gain on first down, I would have done the same thing.

Tomlin is a lot more agressive than Cowher......

I think it was Aikmen.. one of the Fox analyst said great call when we called TO after 1st down. I'm sure there are plenty of former players/guru's who think aggressively and here was a time when we were really aggressive.

I think that is the difference between Cowher and Tomlin... like Ben, Tomlin will take chances Cowher wouldn't. Cowher probably lets the clock go or kicks the FG earlier... I just think our players feed off of the faith Tomlin has in them.

That TO made Dallas open up the playbook when they probably had it closed for OT...
They knew they needed a first down cause we were using ours to get the rock back. They bit... damn that call was genius.

Anyone talking about "what if's" just needs to appreciate the execution that took place.