PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton In Coverage

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Ever see Casey drop in coverage more during his career?

What was going on, we dropped him into a short zone several different times.

Why?

He also looks slower than he has in the past. I've seen him run quick to the sideline. Yesterday he was lumbering.

mr.pittsburgh
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Why?

He also looks slower than he has in the past. I've seen him run quick to the sideline. Yesterday he was lumbering.

Actually, Casey looked good in coverage yesterday. His coverage on TC's screen was the cause of a sack. He also had a ton of good hustle plays. I thought he looked really good, and I am usually very critical of him.

phillyesq
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Watching Casey in coverage is hilarious. I don't think that it's something that they should do with him very often, but I like that it gives opposing offenses something else to consider when trying to determine who is rushing.

agdci981
12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, he doesn't seem to get a very good push up front any more so might as well let him drop back once in awhile.

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, he doesn't seem to get a very good push up front any more so might as well let him drop back once in awhile.

You think he's done?

I'm kinda on the fence on this one. But in general I think his play's dropped off big time.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I bet coaches tell him..."If you don't beat your man off the line, don't waste ur time going after the QB." Just spy on the back and take away any cutbacks out in the flats.

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Why?

Man, when I see any shot of Hampton & that giant belly, my lower back starts to hurt. Could you imagine toting that bad boy around? Sometimes I'm surprised he can walk, let alone run.

Pete

steelblood
12-08-2008, 03:05 PM
He did not look good. He ran the right way, but he has no chance to tackle the back unless the back makes a mistake. We need to find his replacement. He isn't cooked yet, but he's close.

On the fourth and short stop by Harrison, Casey spent a lot of energy celebrating, but he lost his match and was actually pushed back. That was an easy conversion if not for HArrison. Casey need to start pushing the center back more on running plays or Hoke needs to be in there more.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

I like having him in the middle though to make the quarterback's escape or ability to step up in the pocket more difficult. He doesn't need to sack the quarterback, although, it's sweet when he gets one. He reminds me of Ernie Holmes, just hangs out around the LOS and waits for backs and quarterbacks.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
He did not look good. He ran the right way, but he has no chance to tackle the back unless the back makes a mistake. We need to find his replacement. He isn't cooked yet, but he's close.

On the fourth and short stop by Harrison, Casey spent a lot of energy celebrating, but he lost his match and was actually pushed back. That was an easy conversion if not for HArrison. Casey need to start pushing the center back more on running plays or Hoke needs to be in there more.

What are you talking about, Hampton took on 2 guys on that play!!! His job is to stuff the middle.. and the middle was stuffed.

also... I bet you Romo didn't know that was Casey underneath in coverage or he would have thrown it. The point of Casey dropping off is glimpse of an opposing player underneath makes a QB hesitate.. a QB doesn't have time to see it's the fat boy out there.. he just sees a jersey and moves to the next checkdown.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:36 PM

What are you talking about, Hampton took on 2 guys on that play!!! His job is to stuff the middle.. and the middle was stuffed.

Personally, I thought he lost the battle as well. It seemed he was pushed back. Had it not been for Harrison getting underneath his blocker I believe they would have converted.

Pappy

Jigawatts
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
At this point I think Hoke looks just as good, if not better than Hampton. Maybe they
should rotate more?

steelblood
12-08-2008, 03:49 PM

also... I bet you Romo didn't know that was Casey underneath in coverage or he would have thrown it. The point of Casey dropping off is glimpse of an opposing player underneath makes a QB hesitate.. a QB doesn't have time to see it's the fat boy out there.. he just sees a jersey and moves to the next checkdown.

1.You are confusing his role in the base set with his role in short yardage. His job in a standard 3-4 set is to occupy two blockers. His job is different in short yardage with 4 or 5 defensive lineman at the LOS. His first priority is to get a good jump on the snap and push the center back (in case the QB sneaks). His second priority is to push linemen back and stuff the runner. Casey did neither. He was LATE off the ball and the Cowboys line got a enough push for Choice to run up behind them and easily get the first down. James Harrison saved us on that one.

2.Hampton showing coverage only works as long as the QB doesn't have time to recognize that the player dropping into coverage is 360 lbs and among the slowest in the league. You may not want to believe this, but our pass rush is not good enough to keep all QBs from recognizing this. Also, if the back races to the flat or runs a swing route, Hampton has no shot. Also, running Aaron Smith out there is a problem (this is where we miss keisel). Good coordinators will exploit this if we continue to do it with such regularitly.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 04:11 PM

i noticed that too ... he isn't holding his ground like the good old days. I think he's on the decline.

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:21 PM

1.You are confusing his role in the base set with his role in short yardage. His job in a standard 3-4 set is to occupy two blockers. His job is different in short yardage with 4 or 5 defensive lineman at the LOS. His first priority is to get a good jump on the snap and push the center back (in case the QB sneaks). His second priority is to push linemen back and stuff the runner. Casey did neither. He was LATE off the ball and the Cowboys line got a enough push for Choice to run up behind them and easily get the first down. James Harrison saved us on that one.

2.Hampton showing coverage only works as long as the QB doesn't have time to recognize that the player dropping into coverage is 360 lbs and among the slowest in the league. You may not want to believe this, but our pass rush is not good enough to keep all QBs from recognizing this. Also, if the back races to the flat or runs a swing route, Hampton has no shot. Also, running Aaron Smith out there is a problem (this is where we miss keisel). Good coordinators will exploit this if we continue to do it with such regularitly.

1. Casey did his job on the 4th and 1... Why do you guys expect Casey or whatever player is discussed... will make the play on EVERY critical play that they have. You cannot look at one 4th down conversion our D stopped and say Hampton is the weak link...

he held up 2 blockers and the OL had no push.

2. You are right... and that is why Hampton drops in coverage 5 times a year...
it isn't something we will do a lot of but it is just another wrinkle that confuses QB's.

We saw it twice last game and neither times did Romo catch on.. he had 3 INT's..
you have to understand this is chess... usually it is Aaron Smith or the other DE dropping off.. we switched it up this game...

I will give up on Hampton when we don't have the #1 D... also I find the Hampton is done talk hilarious when you look at the RB's who have had big gains.. most come when we are in the nickel and Hampton is on the sideline.

Hampton has always been fat and he is still effective...

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM

i noticed that too ... he isn't holding his ground like the good old days. I think he's on the decline.

how many 100 yard rushers this season? 0
how many long runs in the last 2 weeks? 4
How many of those was when Hampton was on the sideline? 3

You guys are nuts.. sure Hampton is fat.. and getting old but there is a reason our LB's are anchored in the middle by a 34 year old. Hampton keeps our LB free. That is his job...
anything more from him is a bonus.

Jooser
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
He thought the RBs name was Taco Cheese, he was just after a bite. :lol:

Chadman
12-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Casey Hampton does his job on the league's best defence.

Is he as good as he used to be- probably not.

But there are not too many better NT's for a 3-4.

That said- watching Hampton drop into coverage & try running caused Chadwoman to double over laughing & there was a brief moment where we thought that Chadbaby might end up coming out early..

To be honest- Chadman would like to see Casey lose...40 pounds. Back to 320- around his draft day weight. The older you get, the slower you get. The bigger you get, the slower you get. Casey has done both- older & bigger. He's got the turning circle of the Queen Mary nowadays.

Steeler Shades
12-09-2008, 01:38 AM
He's got the turning circle of the Queen Mary nowadays.
:lol: :lol:

steelblood
12-09-2008, 12:58 PM

1. Casey did his job on the 4th and 1... Why do you guys expect Casey or whatever player is discussed... will make the play on EVERY critical play that they have. You cannot look at one 4th down conversion our D stopped and say Hampton is the weak link...

he held up 2 blockers and the OL had no push.

2. You are right... and that is why Hampton drops in coverage 5 times a year...
it isn't something we will do a lot of but it is just another wrinkle that confuses QB's.

We saw it twice last game and neither times did Romo catch on.. he had 3 INT's..
you have to understand this is chess... usually it is Aaron Smith or the other DE dropping off.. we switched it up this game...

I will give up on Hampton when we don't have the #1 D... also I find the Hampton is done talk hilarious when you look at the RB's who have had big gains.. most come when we are in the nickel and Hampton is on the sideline.

Hampton has always been fat and he is still effective...

Hampton is slipping a bit. If you don't want to see it, that is your choice. He is still good (I never claimed that he wasn't - that was your assumption), but he is on the downside of his career. The Steelers must find his future replacement soon.

feltdizz
12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Of course Hampton is on the downside of his career I just think he is still playing at a level that demands playing time.

Hoke is good but he is no Hampton. DL depth does need to be addressed.
A. Smith wasn't a spring chicken out there running after Romo either..

pittpete
12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
http://withleather.uproxx.com//ul/6478-hamptonwl.jpg