PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Yesterday = Great Decision Making

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
OK, last year going for the 2 point conversion put a bad taste in my mouth all off season.
BUT i always reminded myself that TOMLIN was a rookie coach and he can still prove he can learn from his mistakes. Time will still tell.

YESTERDAY I loved his faith in this defense

First by going for it on 4th and Goal. Of course he didn't expect Colon to slip on the play. IF Colon doesn't slip. Russell gets the TD.

Second, he CALLED A TIMEOUT after 1st down right before Townshend's INT. He believed that the defense wasn't going to allow a score. I honestly use to get so mad at Cowher (I loved Cowher by the way) b/c he probably would have waited to see what happened after 2nd down before calling a Timeout.

It's the "Little Things" like this that impress me.
Keep Fightin' Coach T

snarky
12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Personally, I did not like the choice to go for it on fourth down. Earlier in the game I understand the mentality of going for it. But given the game situation I thought taking the three would have been the better choice (even though it would have sucked to get that close and only get three).

The early time-out was awesome. He played to his strength (the defense) and put pressure on the cowboys to convert the first down. A lot of coaches are afraid to lose at the end of the game rather than playing to win. Sometimes being conservative is the right thing to do. But in a tie ball game I really don't like biding time and just hoping for OT.

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
OK, last year going for the 2 point conversion put a bad taste in my mouth all off season.
BUT i always reminded myself that TOMLIN was a rookie coach and he can still prove he can learn from his mistakes. Time will still tell.

YESTERDAY I loved his faith in this defense

First by going for it on 4th and Goal. Of course he didn't expect Colon to slip on the play. IF Colon doesn't slip. Russell gets the TD.

Second, he CALLED A TIMEOUT after 1st down right before Townshend's INT. He believed that the defense wasn't going to allow a score. I honestly use to get so mad at Cowher (I loved Cowher by the way) b/c he probably would have waited to see what happened after 2nd down before calling a Timeout.

It's the "Little Things" like this that impress me.
Keep Fightin' Coach T

I like the play calling that sends the message that he trusts his players.

If we didn't win, we'd hear a lot of people questioning these decisions.

I prefer him being aggressive.

Cowher used to be aggressive early in his career.

The he got old and set in his ways.

Let's hope Mr T keeps the young and agressive attitude for many years to come.

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Personally, I did not like the choice to go for it on fourth down. Earlier in the game I understand the mentality of going for it. But given the game situation I thought taking the three would have been the better choice (even though it would have sucked to get that close and only get three).

The early time-out was awesome. He played to his strength (the defense) and put pressure on the cowboys to convert the first down. A lot of coaches are afraid to lose at the end of the game rather than playing to win. Sometimes being conservative is the right thing to do. But in a tie ball game I really don't like biding time and just hoping for OT.

With our D you go for it.. it wasn't like our O was marching down the field all day. Great call IMO.. I go for it 75% of the time with our D... just stop calling the same running play.. it doesn't work.

GreggyDigital
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM

I loved the call.

We hadn't been down there all game. Why not take a chance when you got it? Our D was playing lights out so you had to figure we'd get the ball back in good field position to at least get a FG. Which, of course, ultimatly happened.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I didn't mind the decision to go for it as much as the fact that a playaction mcall is usually set up by defensive mrespect for the ball. Our running game did do anything yesterday to warrant a scintilla of fear in the D, which allowed them to play the run soft and stuff the play.

Oh well, we son, so screw it.

Bring on the Rats

pfelix73
12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I thought it was a poor decision to go for it at that point. You kick the FG to get to within 1 score.

It's funny how some look at it as a good one and others look at it as a bad one. But I am chalking it down as a bad decision in my book..... Just as bad as the 2 pt. play last year.

snarky
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
feltdizz,

I agree -- the strength of our D provides a strong argument for going for it in that situation most of the time. But my thinking was that if it stays a two score game that takes some of the pressure off Romo to make first downs etc.

Obviously our D is able to get turnovers but we need the opposing offense to be engaged. If they turtle up we are going to have a hard time getting the TOs. Yes the D would be likely to get a stop should the O fail to punch it in. But then you are still ten down and, as you say, it wasn't like the O was marching up and down the field.

So I guess I see it a bit differently, but I thought the FG would have forced the hand of the Cowboys a little bit. But I do understand the call to go for it. I don't think it was a bad call, just not one that I personally liked.

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
They would have had to kick a fg into the wind so I'm guessing they were happy to run out the clock and go to ot. So yeah, good call to call t.o. and make them play. Also was a good call to defer on the opening coin toss - in hindsight - to have the wwind at the end of the game

Djfan
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I trust the D, but not the O. That's why I didn't want him to go for it on 4th.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
If Dallas goes downfield and scores, partly benefitting from this TO call, you completely change your tone on this one.

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
If Dallas goes downfield and scores, partly benefitting from this TO call, you completely change your tone on this one.
True but that would have been very uncharactersitic of our D this year had Dallas done that. Why should we let them run out the clock and possibly reverse their disadvantaged field position (relative to the wind) come O.T.?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
True but that would have been very uncharactersitic of our D this year had Dallas done that. Why should we let them run out the clock and possibly reverse their disadvantaged field position (relative to the wind) come O.T.?
they'd already had a couple of decent drives in the 2nd half... i was a bit concerned with the TO call.

Loved the 4th and 1, was "iffy" on the TO.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

That was my #1 concern.
If you take the ball in O.T., u lose the wind advantage.

drprwnap
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
[quote="SidSmythe"]

You're kidding, right? With 12 min. left in the game that you're down by 10 points? I'm sorry, that was the WORST DECISION that I have ever seen. Especially when you have the WORST 4th DOWN OFFENSE IN THE NFL! If we would have lost the game, would you still feel the same about that decision? I know I would. Look I'm GLAD we won, but those kind of BONEHEAD decisions will bit you in the a$$ at some point. Tomlin's in-game decision making is becoming a concern for me. :2c

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 03:01 PM

if is a pretty strong word and can be applied to every call or play you liked.

great call though... so much time left and they had a long way to go... if we didn't call that time out Dallas runs the clock down and runs again. This way it forced Dallas to go for a first down cause we were playing to win...

that TO really was a great chess move...

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
they'd already had a couple of decent drives in the 2nd half... i was a bit concerned with the TO call.

Each to his own opinion of course as I didn't like the fourth and one call because of our past success (or lack thereof) this year in those exact situations.

It's almost like I prefer a 3rd and 5 over a 3rd (or 4th) and one as our play selection seems to be predictable and the execution lousy on these most of the time. Man did the Dallas D ever blow penetrate on that 4th down. I sure miss Krieder/Bus/Faneca in those situations

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Their drives were with the wind in the 3rd quarter with the wind. They struggled in the 4th just like the Steelers did in the 3rd. The wind was the difference in offensive performance.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 03:09 PM

great call though... so much time left and they had a long way to go... if we didn't call that time out Dallas runs the clock down and runs again. This way it forced Dallas to go for a first down cause we were playing to win...

that's the problem - i don't think they were trying to run out he clock - as evidenced by Romo saying, "did you REALLY call timeout?" They thought they could bust a run, so they gave it a shot.

Conventional wisdom is to play for the win on the road, play for the tie @ home.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Their drives were with the wind in the 3rd quarter with the wind. They struggled in the 4th just like the Steelers did in the 3rd. The wind was the difference in offensive performance.

Pappy
agree - and it also impacted field position. but unlike most here, I'm not convinced they were playing for overtime. i can't imagine any team with what they consider to be a true franchise QB punking out on a 2 minute drive that could win the game to try to get to overtime.

I guess if they got the wrong end of the field in overtime, they woudl have played for a tie and just not even tried to win.

snarky
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM

My thinking exactly. You win at chess by leveraging the imbalances that are in your favor. At that point in time, Tomlin had the wind and he had his D. I'm not sure what imbalances could be said to be in Dallas' favor at that point, so the TO makes sense even if it defied conventional wisdom.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
agree - and it also impacted field position. but unlike most here, I'm not convinced they were playing for overtime. i can't imagine any team with what they consider to be a true franchise QB punking out on a 2 minute drive that could win the game to try to get to overtime.

I guess if they got the wrong end of the field in overtime, they woudl have played for a tie and just not even tried to win.

Speaking of overtime, lets ponder this for a minute. What do you do if you win the toss for overtime? Take the ball or the wind?

Me, I take the wind and put my #1 defense on the field to get a stop.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM
We're now 0-3 going for it on 4th and goal.

Take the points Tomlin. Please. :)

Mel Blount's G
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Speaking of overtime, lets ponder this for a minute. What do you do if you win the toss for overtime? Take the ball or the wind?

Pappy
Agreed. One needs all the advantages he can get kicking fg's in that stadium and the wind factor could have been the difference in making or missing a 45 yard fg. And though dallas may have moved the ball downfield and attempted a fg, I do not see them sticking it in the EZ (bend but don't break baby)

AngryAsian
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
My only criticism from yesterday's game was this: 8 1/2 minutes to go down by 10 points, I would made Arians go no-huddle.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Missed the game yesterday - was it FWP or MM who tried to run it in? Was there a FB?

I think against the Ravens a cool play for 4th and goal from the 1 would be a FB and RB in the backfield to make them think Tomlin/BA are just a couple of stubborn b*strds who refuse to give up on the run, then run play action/roll out to the right -Ben either runs it in or lobs it over Ray Ray's head to Heath Miller.

You heard it here first!

NW Steeler
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I liked the fourth and goal call (to go for it, not the play). We had shown no ability to sustain a drive all game, so that may have been our only chance to get 7. Worst case is you don't make it and you rely on your defense again. If you get it, then you only need a fg to tie. Had we lost, my opinion may have changed, but that's the way it goes. I also liked the timeout call, it put the pressure on their offense.

Djfan
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Yup

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM

that's the problem - i don't think they were trying to run out he clock - as evidenced by Romo saying, "did you REALLY call timeout?" They thought they could bust a run, so they gave it a shot.

Conventional wisdom is to play for the win on the road, play for the tie @ home.

No.. if Dallas was trying to conserve time they would have passed on first down. Running on first down pretty much told us they were trying to get to overtime or chew up 2 minutes getting in FG range... either way calling a TO showed that we were going to try to get the ball back and go for the win...

IMO...

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM

Yup

if we take the points we lose... taking the points is the way you lose games IMO.
with this D you only go for the points early or in obvious situations.. when your D gives you 4 TO's and you get 3 points off of it what would make you think the O is getting down there again?

Sure we kick the FG if we are marching up and down the field but when you finally get in the red zone you have to go for it... the chances of getting down their again are minimal.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Pappy
my thoughts exactly... i take the wind... unusual, but, i would have.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I liked the fourth and goal call (to go for it, not the play). We had shown no ability to sustain a drive all game, so that may have been our only chance to get 7. Worst case is you don't make it and you rely on your defense again. If you get it, then you only need a fg to tie.
ding ding!

100% agree.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Open Letter to Posters: Feel free to use the abbreviation TO to stand for "time out" when referencing any game we play except for the Cowboy game. I keep reading about whether Tomlin should have called a Terrell Owens, and then have to do a double take. My head hurts. Thanks. :lol:

DBinAL
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Did anybody watch the 4th down play? Colon slipped and fell flat on his face. That allowed the Dallas lineman to fill the hole. Russell had to change directions and he ran right into the other Dallas player. Even the announcers said that Russell would have probably scored had Colon not slipped. I liked the aggressive nature of Tomlin and his trust in his players.

Remember that 30 of the 33 points scored in the game came with the wind.

The timeout that was called was not only a confidence builder for the defense, but also a 'What the F..." to the Dallas offense. Tomlin essentially said to Dallas...'Go ahead, see if you can score.' I believe in my defense.

The Steelers had just scored in back-to back possessions, whereas Dallas had accumulated 21 yards on 9 plays in the 4th quarter. Smart call and kudos to Tomlin for having the guts to "Play to Win."

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
You are the #1 D in the league and have forced 4 TO's...

why wouldn't Tomlin call a time out?

Steeler Shades
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Colon slipped and fell flat on his face.
Colon must be one of the players that always votes for natural turf when the famous Rooney polls on the subject are taken. While natural turf is a less sure footed surface, it is so much softer when landing on your face on 4th down. 8)

NorthCoast
12-08-2008, 09:04 PM

Yup

I'm in your camp on this one as well. Take the easy points when you can get them and hope the D gets the ball back in the O's hands quickly. The odds were not in our favor to make this play and I had not seen anything all day on offense that made me feel like they could actually make this.

stlrz d
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Yup

I'm in your camp on this one as well. Take the easy points when you can get them and hope the D gets the ball back in the O's hands quickly. The odds were not in our favor to make this play and I had not seen anything all day on offense that made me feel like they could actually make this.

It was the best drive we had all game and we came away with nothing.

Plus it was still a two possession game. There was a lot of time left...as pappy stated in another thread, it was too early to chase TDs.

Take the 3, kick the ball, stuff them, get the ball back and go at it again.

pittpete
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Im sure a lot of posters might feel different today if we lost.
The timeout was great, 4th and goal was ridiculous.
You absolutely positively kick the FG every time.
After the 3 points we would have had the wind any way.
With 12:26 left and the Steelers offense playing as flat as it was, you take the points.
If theres one thing Tomlin brings to this team its the resilience he has instilled.
Fix the run game, and I might have a different view, but we havnt made a 4th and short all year. :stirpot

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
As much as I love coach Tomlin, I fall onto the side where you absolutely, positively have to take the points there. As a coach, your only job on Sunday is to put your team in position to win the game. Not to have big cajonies. With that little amount of time left, you absolutely, positively have to get to within a score. It worked out well there, but all this chest thumping would have turned ugly had we lost the game.

feltdizz
12-09-2008, 10:24 AM
You guys say take the points.. all true if you are talking basic football knowledge.. but when you look at our O that game what faith do you really have our O can drive down the field again?

The FG is the correct call... when your O is gatting first downs.. but we we like.. 3 for 18 on 3rd down and already had 4 TO's and 3 points to show for it. Getting another stop or TO does little to help the score board. If you don't get the TD Dallas still has 99 yards to drive and we have our D.

I had no faith in our O marching down the field 80 yards for a TD. That would have been the case if we kick the FG and stop Dallas and they punt.

Tomlin was playing with "house money" as the Postgazette said yesterday...
your D has 4 TO's and is making stops all day.. who do you trust in that situation? I trust the D more then the O.

It paid off...

I'm not for chasing points but guys.. when your O has 90 yards after 3 quarters... you have to chase points.

feltdizz
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Im sure a lot of posters might feel different today if we lost.
The timeout was great, 4th and goal was ridiculous.
You absolutely positively kick the FG every time.
After the 3 points we would have had the wind any way.
With 12:26 left and the Steelers offense playing as flat as it was, you take the points.
If theres one thing Tomlin brings to this team its the resilience he has instilled.
Fix the run game, and I might have a different view, but we havnt made a 4th and short all year. :stirpot

with the O playing that flat you don't take the FG... you take a shot cause the O is flat...

the chances of getting in FG range are 4 times as high as getting to the GL.

ikestops85
12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I fall into the "Go For It" camp. Your offense has sucked all day yet the coach is telling them he still has confidence in them. I think the faith Tomlin showed the offense might prove valuable in future games. Just knowing the coach is behind them. Sometimes coaching is about the little things and I think this could be one of those times.

Besides, coaching decisions are very subjective. Generally, if it works you are a genius and if it doesn't you are an overpaid janitor. :roll:

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Taking the points tells the D that Tomlin expects them to shut the opponent down and get the ball back again.

Anytime you get a chance to score and make it a one possession game you score.

AngryAsian
12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Just glad his decision didn't come back to bite him in the butt. Down by ten, what's the difference in taking the three now or later. I think he'll be a little wiser next time, or take the advice from some of our resident board OCs and put Big Snack at FB. :D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Taking the points tells the D that Tomlin expects them to shut the opponent down and get the ball back again.

Going for it also showed a lot of faith in his O, and showed the O that they have a safety net of a D.

Is it just a coincidence that after failing on fourth and goal the O scored on it's next two drives?

stlrz d
12-09-2008, 11:26 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1nmy9rwr]Taking the points tells the D that Tomlin expects them to shut the opponent down and get the ball back again.

Going for it also showed a lot of faith in his O, and showed the O that they have a safety net of a D.

Is it just a coincidence that after failing on fourth and goal the O scored on it's next two drives?[/quote:1nmy9rwr]

It certainly could be. :P