PDA

View Full Version : Had to work ... what was the problem with our offense?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I was so pissed off, had to work, and couldn't get near a TV.

Can you guys fill me in please on what happened to our offense for most of the game? Was it a slide back to BA's turtle ball of the 1st 6 or 7 games of the year, you know, the 2 runs for a yard each, followed by a 7 step drop for a hurry or a sack, followed by a punt? I read about a few illegal formation/false starts, but I'm guessing that wasn't the real story. Maybe a lot of drops? Was Ben reading the defenses stupid, or ...

Thanks guys, I'm going through Steeler withdrawal having missed the game. The NFL highlights were good, but they were just that ... I crave details! (I'll have to look for it as maybe GOTW this week...).

And ... how the * are we going to help the D out if we can't run the ball for 1 yard!!!!

Thanks!

Oh, and ... :ratsuck

SteelTorch
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I was so pissed off, had to work, and couldn't get near a TV.

Can you guys fill me in please on what happened to our offense for most of the game? Was it a slide back to BA's turtle ball of the 1st 6 or 7 games of the year, you know, the 2 runs for a yard each, followed by a 7 step drop for a hurry or a sack, followed by a punt? I read about a few illegal formation/false starts, but I'm guessing that wasn't the real story. Maybe a lot of drops? Was Ben reading the defenses stupid, or ...

Thanks guys, I'm going through Steeler withdrawal having missed the game. The NFL highlights were good, but they were just that ... I crave details! (I'll have to look for it as maybe GOTW this week...).

And ... how the * are we going to help the D out if we can't run the ball for 1 yard!!!!

Thanks!

Oh, and ... :ratsuck
It's not any one thing. Pretty much everything looked bad. Bad playcalling, bad execution, and bad mistakes. Running game was sub-par, and the WR's played like shiat as usual. Ben once again looked out of sync in the first half.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know how everyone else feels, but the playcalling wasn't making me very happy. Both offenses struggling heading into the NORTH endzone b/c of the wind. Arians kept going empty backfield and gave up on the run for the most part. they were getting pressure on Ben but he kept running shotgun.

Reminded me of the JETS game in the snow when Mularky threw the ball 35 times and ran it 12.

I thought Mewelde could have got things going but they were using RB by committee.

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 01:03 PM
our Offense is sporatic and hard to watch. BA went away from the short stuff and Ben had a few slants batted down at the LOS. All around the O stunk early... nothing worked and it looked like every other NFC East match up with 5 yard penalties and drive killing mistakes.

The WR's dropped too many passes and Ben was off on his timing on others. Our pathetic OL held their own against a great DL. Our WR and RB's didn't make plays early and Ward was no where to be found(they must have pressed him all game)

Running game was terrible.. BA went away from the FB and it showed.. I have no idea why he calls games like this against NFC East teams...

I don't think BA is clever enough to deliberately keep our O vanilla against NFC teams so AFC teams can't get much from our NFC game tapes. We were so boring on Offense I don't think the Ravens or Titans can game plan against such uninspired Offense.

No INT's or short fields for Dallas though... which was huge in a low scoring game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
our Offense is sporatic and hard to watch. BA went away from the short stuff and Ben had a few slants batted down at the LOS. All around the O stunk early... nothing worked and it looked like every other NFC East match up with 5 yard penalties and drive killing mistakes.

The WR's dropped too many passes and Ben was off on his timing on others. Our pathetic OL held their own against a great DL. Our WR and RB's didn't make plays early and Ward was no where to be found(they must have pressed him all game)

Running game was terrible.. BA went away from the FB and it showed.. I have no idea why he calls games like this against NFC East teams...

I don't think BA is clever enough to deliberately keep our O vanilla against NFC teams so AFC teams can't get much from our NFC game tapes. We were so boring on Offense I don't think the Ravens or Titans can game plan against such uninspired Offense.

No INT's or short fields for Dallas though... which was huge in a low scoring game.

Thanks, Feltdizz! The only thing that bothered me was that bit about the slants being batted down. Maybe I'm just wrong, but in my mind it's the quick slants that help compensate for the O-line's challenges with pass protection ... Ben doesn't have to hold the ball as long, and it keeps the backers a bit more honest rather than pinning their ears back and going hellbent for leather.

If the slants aren't working, that's one less tool in the toolbox to help out the O-line and give Ben more time. There's always the roll out, but if we're reduced to a one-trick pony, good D's will figure us out pretty quickly (see: Ravens).

Of course if our O-line were to gel quickly ...

:2c

flippy
12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
If you saw the Eagles game, you saw the Cowboys game.

Although our pass pro was decent in the 1st half.

Steeler Shades
12-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Steelers offensive stats:
gave up five sacks
238 total yards (59.5 yards per quarter)
70 yards TOTAL rushing
3-16 on third down conversions
two fumbles
1 TD
Squandered 4 first half Dallas TOs & some great field position
Ben = 17 of 33 for 204 yds (minus 36 yards in sacks) and a 51.5 completion rate.
Roethlisberger completed nine of 12 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown in the final 18 minutes.

Our defense (the best in the NFL) gave up 289 yards of offense. Should give you some idea how bad our offense looked against a defense that was not as good as ours in front of a home crowd.

It was ugly. Thank God for the Steeler Defense. 8)