PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Week and some observations from this week

papillon
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
A few things that will absolutely not work this upcoming Sunday against the Ravens:

Ben seemed to take more 5-7 step drops this week than he has in the previous 3 weeks. The o-line did a good job giving him time; I don't see that happening this week.

Third and long against the Ravens is a recipe for disaster; their defense is fast off the corners with blitzes. They confused the Redskins to no end last night.

The Steelers are going to have to find a way to counteract the defensive overload that the Ravens are using with their linebackers on obvious passing downs and, on occasion, when they "think" you might be passing. The skins had no answer for this defensive set and on one occasion the full back was so overwhelmed that two blitzers came free and he didn't lay a hand on either of them. When Ben sees this defensive set his first read has to be the overloaded side to verify if both are coming or not.

That said, that defensive set is ripe for Mewelde Moore to have big game in the pass offense. A simple little circle route or flare over the top of the blitzers will get him into space immediately, easier said than done. Inside handoffs on delays after the blitzers have been pushed outside will net some big yards as well. Regardless, the Ravens use this defense to make big plays; the Steelers have to be able to handle it effectively.

Flacco is playing well and makes mistakes the Steelers defense needs to make him pay for poor decisions, there won't be many and he'll take a few shots down field. I like Ike and Gay/McFadden versus Mason and Clayton.

Heap isn't the same player of afew years ago, but, he still gets open a lot and tends to make big plays for the Ravens, hello Lawrence Timmons.

Ben needs to continue to protect the ball and make sound decisions. I don't recall any real bad decisions yesterday, a couple times I wanted him to find the cheap seats after being in the pocket for 4 seconds, but, I've come to expect him to try and make something happen. I live with it.

Steelers - 13
Ravens - 9

Pappy

papillon
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Okay wiseguys here's the defense that I'm talking about for which I hope the Steelers have an answer.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80be2b8e

This overload blitz caused the Dolphins and most recently the skins major problems.

Yes Sir!

Papillon

Steeler Shades
12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Heap isn't the same player of afew years ago, but, he still gets open a lot and tends to make big plays for the Ravens, hello Lawrence Timmons.
What happened to Timmons in the Dallas game? I remember seeing him early on defense and then don't remember anything else from him. 8)

Steeler Shades
12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Ben seemed to take more 5-7 step drops this week than he has in the previous 3 weeks. The o-line did a good job giving him time; I don't see that happening this week.

Third and long against the Ravens is a recipe for disaster; their defense is fast off the corners with blitzes. They confused the Redskins to no end last night.
3 of 16 on third down against Dallas - the #8 ranked defense. Playing #2 this week. Better Ben goes 3 for 13 again and no TOs than try to force something against Ed Reed and the Ratbird defense. I don't think the Ratbirds beat us unless our offense helps them with TOs and bad field position.