PDA

View Full Version : Nate Washington

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Where are the haters tonight? He came up big on that last offensive TD drive, don't you think?

DukieBoy
12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking the haters are living in the past or committed to an opinion based in the past.
Nate has stepped up well this year, matured as receivers tend to do so in their 3rd year or so. He's been big for us repeatedly.

Same will happen with Sweed. Give him time.

Ozey74
12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Same will happen with Sweed. Give him time.

:Agree

Word!

NorthCoast
12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Nate showed me something on the play he got hurt on. Took a minute to make sure it was nothing serious and then popped up with some fire! A lot of people have been down on Nate for his drops but he also has some clutch catches as well. You could do a lot worse in this league for a 3rd WR.

Oviedo
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Nate is improving this year and justifying the hype about his athletic ability.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Nate showed me something on the play he got hurt on. Took a minute to make sure it was nothing serious and then popped up with some fire! A lot of people have been down on Nate for his drops but he also has some clutch catches as well. You could do a lot worse in this league for a 3rd WR.

Did he come back into the game? The replay didn't look pretty, but it was good to see him go off the field as he did.

As for the Haters, they disbursed when the Trib board fizzled.

SidSmythe
12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I was a HUGE Nate backer til this year.

Nate just doesn't have "natural" pass catching ability. Especially w/ a defender on him. Can he make plays, sure ... i give him credit for that ... but at the end of the day, I can't justify giving this guy a starters contract at the end of the season.

Lebsteel
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM

Nate just doesn't have "natural" pass catching ability. Especially w/ a defender on him. Can he make plays, sure ... i give him credit for that ... but at the end of the day, I can't justify giving this guy a starters contract at the end of the season.

Sid, I agree that Nate can make some big plays, but he has to prove he can be more consistent before the Steelers pay him starter money. He really came up big today on the last drive and I was really glad to see him make those catches. MAYBE that can be the confidence boost he needs to become a consistent threat. We definitely need someone because Hines has not been playing well at all lately....

papillon
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM

I can for a few reasons:

One, he's making plays and still learning
Two, he now has experience in this offense, the grass isn't always greener.
Three, he is forcing teams to account for him deep and if they don't he can make them pay.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
12-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Nate=
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/mba0473l.jpg

Killed us with drops early on but comes up huuuuge in the end. Gosh he's so up and down. I like him still.. :)

EDIT...oops! Wrong picture~!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Nate is still the same guy. He has always shown the ability to make the big play, and then shows the ability to kill a big drive.

However, in calling out the "haters", you must remember one thing. No matter what he does in the future does not erase what he has done in the past - good and bad. If he drops a big ball next week, it does not erase his contributions this week. On the flip side, if he finishes the season without another drop and makes a ton of big catches, that does not mean that he did not have many big drops throughout his career.

steeld95
12-08-2008, 01:37 AM
All the hating on Nate is just dumb. He is our #3 WR. With Heath Miller he is really our 4th option. He is continuously making plays this year when given the chance. Nate has become a big part of our offense. I think Nate fits his role well. He puts up pretty good #'s for a #3 WR. Just think, if we keep him and Sweed progresses, we are going to be dangerous at WR. We just need to address the O line in the off season with the draft and free agency and we have a bright future!

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 02:22 AM
meanwhile....

Santonio had another drop...

(hines did, too, but, I've been arguing that Santonio was more concerning to me than Nate - some disagreed).

Steelerphile
12-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Nate had zero drops today. That it what I am talking about when people evaluate his performances. Passes that are batted away by defenders are called drops by Nate. People have been conditioned to think that way. He has not had nearly as many drops in his career as the herd thinks he has had.

He is a good receiver with speed and getting better. Also Big Ben is getting more confidence in him.

flippy
12-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Nate outruns Ben's arm consistently.

Nate's the best WR at getting open deep and he's open on nearly every play when I've seen him play live. He even gets more over the top safety help than Santonio.

He's improving as a WR. We're seeing more than just deep routes.

frankthetank1
12-08-2008, 08:36 AM

no way he will get starters money from any team

Oviedo
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
While Nate is getting better he still does not make tough catches in traffic where he has to outfight the DB for the ball. I'm not sure if that is just learning to position your body or getting stronger but most of his successful catches he seems to have to be wide open.

I also don't think that he will be viewed by the league in the off season as anything more than a #3 receiver. No way he gets starter money.

SidSmythe
12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

I bet he does depending on the FA market for WR. If it's thin, a team desperate for a WR will throw some nice money at Nate.

Especially if he comes up big in the playoffs. Remember Larry Brown???

ikestops85
12-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I've never been a big fan of Nate. He has always been too inconsistent for my tastes. As a #3 receiver I think we have had better and we have had worse (Ced). However, my estimation of him as a player took a huge leap yesterday (pun intended) when he jumped up from that injury. That to me gave the team a big emotional lift which the offense definitely needed.

While I think Nate has improved this year the receiving corp as a whole has regressed. They have had far too many drops, far too many pre-snap penalties, and far too many mental mistakes (i.e. not recognizing the blitz and running a hot route). They also do not do well going for that 50/50 ball which the good receivers have the knack of catching.

Now that I said this I don't think the problem stems from a lack of ability. For some reason the passing game has been out of sync for most of the year. They have too much talent for it to stay that way so I can only hope they break out of their doldrums come playoff time. If that happens look for this team to start obliterating their opponents.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
meanwhile....

(hines did, too, but, I've been arguing that Santonio was more concerning to me than Nate - some disagreed).

But Santonio came up huge with the 47 yard bomb, the 35 yard punt return, and the sideline catch in the red zone in which he kept both feet in bounds after Ben escaped a Cowboy sack.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
meanwhile....

But Santonio came up huge with the 47 yard bomb, the 35 yard punt return, and the sideline catch in the red zone in which he kept both feet in bounds after Ben escaped a Cowboy sack.
That doesn't mean the drop didn't happen.

There have been quite a few games where Nate makes plays, then gets a drop and all people remember is the drop.

People forgive Santonio for his drops. They don't forgive Nate. I'm not sure why.

I've argued that for most of this season.

(I'm convinced Santonio has more drops than Nate).

steelblood
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I like Nate, but he does not catch contested balls well at all. He has little strength in his arms and hands to secure the jump ball when a back is hammering at him.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
While Nate is getting better he still does not make tough catches in traffic where he has to outfight the DB for the ball. I'm not sure if that is just learning to position your body or getting stronger but most of his successful catches he seems to have to be wide open.

I also don't think that he will be viewed by the league in the off season as anything more than a #3 receiver. No way he gets starter money.

Which Steeler receiver makes plays in traffic? I don't mean catching a ball in the middle and getting rocked, they all do that, including Nate. I mean goes up and out battles a DB for the ball like TO. None of the Steeler WRs do that very well, hopefully, Sweed will be that guy very soon.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM

Which Steeler receiver makes plays in traffic? I don't mean catching a ball in the middle and getting rocked, they all do that, including Nate. I mean goes up and out battles a DB for the ball like TO. None of the Steeler WRs do that very well, hopefully, Sweed will be that guy very soon.

Pappy
receivers are human, too... it's ahrd to catch a ball if a couple of 225 lb men are trying to prevent it. MOST WRs don't make catches in traffic.

papillon
12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Pappy
receivers are human, too... it's ahrd to catch a ball if a couple of 225 lb men are trying to prevent it. MOST WRs don't make catches in traffic.

That's my point, I like Nate and his ability to get open recently. Teams are finding out that it's not difficult for him to get behind them and yesterday I saw Ben actually throw one before Nate was open down the sideline. A little bit farther out in front of Nate and he could have potentially caught it, as it was, the DB was able to wait and get a hand in to knock it away.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Pappy

That's my point, I like Nate and his ability to get open recently. Teams are finding out that it's not difficult for him to get behind them and yesterday I saw Ben actually throw one before Nate was open down the sideline. A little bit farther out in front of Nate and he could have potentially caught it, as it was, the DB was able to wait and get a hand in to knock it away.

Pappy
agree with you, pap...

Not that Nate hasn't had any drops, he certainly has (as all WRs do). But, why is it that people hate him when he does it?

Jigawatts
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Not that Nate hasn't had any drops, he certainly has (as all WRs do). But, why is it that people hate him when he does it?

Because he's from Tiffin and most people think he doesn't even belong on the field.
So a drop here and there justifies their thinking.

What about Holmes? He has way to many drops for a first round pick, but I don't think
he gets bashed as much as Nate.

papillon
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Pappy

Pappy
agree with you, pap...

I'm not sure, typically, Steeler fans love the underdog, Rocky Bleier, Merrill Hoge, etc. I'm not sure why the hate for Nate. I continue to hope that the Steelers can get a deal done with him for another 4 or 5 years. He's had a longer learning curve, but, I believe it's startgin to pay off. I'd hate to lose the ROI on him by sending him packing.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
everyone has to have a player they hate and Nate is ours.. dude could catch 6 TD's in one game but let Nate drop a 5 yard out on 1st down... that is all the haters will talk about.

makes no sense... Ward and Holmes have dropped twice as many passes but Nates drop will always be the one remembered cause of how he started his career here.

Same with Mendenhall...he is already known as "injury prone fumblehall" LOL!!

first impressions.. I'm just glad we are fans and not coaches..

Timmons would be gone..
Nate.. gone
Troy P.. gone

Jooser
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I think noone can deny he drops alot of easy ones. But, ya know, so do some of the best, most overpaid WRs in the league. I have to agree he's a good 3rd WR option who has made more 'Big Plays' this year than Santokio or Hines. He is definitely improving and I like his speed. Just get some stick um Nate! :lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure, typically, Steeler fans love the underdog, Rocky Bleier, Merrill Hoge, etc. I'm not sure why the hate for Nate. I continue to hope that the Steelers can get a deal done with him for another 4 or 5 years. He's had a longer learning curve, but, I believe it's startgin to pay off. I'd hate to lose the ROI on him by sending him packing.

Pappy
wouldn't hesitate to give him what we gave to Ced... couple mil a year for 4-5 seasons...

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I think noone can deny he drops alot of easy ones. But, ya know, so do some of the best, most overpaid WRs in the league. I have to agree he's a good 3rd WR option who has made more 'Big Plays' this year than Santokio or Hines. He is definitely improving and I like his speed. Just get some stick um Nate! :lol:
thing is, this year's similar to last year... if we get this out of him anually as a #3, I'd be happy... I saw a poll that had "who are the league's best WR tandems"... it had like 8 or 9 tandems...and we were included.... go figure. He gets more love from non-steeler fans...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7476/tandemsel4.jpg

Jooser
12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Point well taken S.O.D.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
thing is, this year's similar to last year... if we get this out of him anually as a #3, I'd be happy... I saw a poll that had "who are the league's best WR tandems"... it had like 8 or 9 tandems...and we were included.... go figure. He gets more love from non-steeler fans...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7476/tandemsel4.jpg

Wassup with Dallas, Cleveland, and Indy having TE's included in the voting for best WR corps? :wft

pittpete
12-08-2008, 10:22 PM

With todays NFL, anythings possible.
Id love to keep him, but not to break the bank.

papillon
12-08-2008, 11:33 PM

Pappy
wouldn't hesitate to give him what we gave to Ced... couple mil a year for 4-5 seasons...

That may be the deal of the century if they could manage something like that.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Pappy

Pappy
i don't think it'll be too far off. unless he has a huge postseason, he'll be viewed as a #3 by most, IMO.

papillon
12-09-2008, 12:11 AM

Pappy

Pappy
i don't think it'll be too far off. unless he has a huge postseason, he'll be viewed as a #3 by most, IMO.

Even teams that are desperate for NFL ready WR talent? That's my fear that some GM in a desperate moment will offer him a boatload of dough, i.e. Antwan Randel El

Pappy

Chadman
12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Nate has done exceedingly well for an undrafted WR from Tiffin.

He's done well as a #3 WR in the NFL.

He isn't worth starters money.

If there is some kind of market for him in the off season, everyone should start liking Limas Sweed a whole lot more.

If he can return at a decent price- excellent- the 3rd WR spot is solid.

Ballbuster
12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Ballbuster wonders what Chadman thinks a "decent price' is and if Limas "throw me the damn..... ooph!" Sweed is ready to step up to the 3rd WR.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Pappy

Pappy

Even teams that are desperate for NFL ready WR talent? That's my fear that some GM in a desperate moment will offer him a boatload of dough, i.e. Antwan Randel El

Pappy
I don't think so. I know some teams are desperate, but, there have been too many make mistakes on Nate Burleson's for $64 million... Even Bryant Johnson wasn't given a big contract... 1 year , $2 million deal with the 9ers... and he played with the pass-happy Cardinals and replaced Fitz and/or Boldin well... and he had a 1st round pedigree (and body).

$3 mil per, at MOST for Nate... But, I could see him settling for $2 mil... especially if the draft is considered WR heavy (don't know if it is).

Unless he pulles an ARE in the postseason, I don't see a big deal for him.

papillon
12-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't think so. I know some teams are desperate, but, there have been too many make mistakes on Nate Burleson's for $64 million... Even Bryant Johnson wasn't given a big contract... 1 year , $2 million deal with the 9ers... and he played with the pass-happy Cardinals and replaced Fitz and/or Boldin well... and he had a 1st round pedigree (and body).

$3 mil per, at MOST for Nate... But, I could see him settling for $2 mil... especially if the draft is considered WR heavy (don't know if it is).

Unless he pulles an ARE in the postseason, I don't see a big deal for him.

I hope you're right. At this point I'd hate to lose him even though the offense is struggling. I'd like to see what happens next year with this offense. Actually, I'd like to see it happen this year and very soon!

What do you think his guaranteed up front money will be?

Pappy

flippy
12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
What's not to love about Nate? He's as good as any #3 WR and I think he can eventually break the starting lineup if he keeps working hard and improving.

Pretty much the only thing he doesn't do at this point is go up and pluck balls out of the air like Steve Smith. But who does?

Remember this is a young guy who was a UDFA. And in his years in Pittsburgh, he's really had limited chances to work with Ben so far.

Ben seems to really like him.

I think next year could be his breakout year.

ikestops85
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Ward
Target - 98 times
% Caught - 61.2
Drops - 7

Holmes
Target - 92
% Caught - 47.8
Drops - 5

Washington
Target - 60
% Caught - 51.7
Drops - 3

Here are the stats from Washington Post (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/index.asp). In my opinion Nate gets more flack from his drops than either Hines or Tone because it has been a problem his entire career. For this year the WRs are dropping far too many passes with a good number of them essentially taking away points. :HeadBanger We can't afford for this to continue come playoff time.

Where many might consider the offensive line to be this team's achilles heel I think it has been drops and stupid penalties. If the offense gets in sync this team will start to obliterate opponents ... and maybe save a few steeler fans from game day heart attacks. :lol:

Oviedo
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
No way I would give Nate $3M per year. That would be way overpaying especially given you have Sweed in the wings. If someone will give him that much let him walk and draft someone in Round 3 or 4.