PDA

View Full Version : This O-Line is Good Now?

agdci981
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I know some of the people that told me this on the Trib Board are back over here. Come on, where are you? You told me this line was good now after getting to play together for a few weeks!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steelz09
12-07-2008, 07:54 PM
It's terrible. Hopefully, 3 maybe 4 are gone next year.

pfelix73
12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Yea, me here. I'm still blaming the coaching.....

pfelix73
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Look. You need the FB in there at least some of the time to run the ball... Why throw all the time in tis weather???

Just no common sense....

And we have no FB! Davis a FB? We need to use a 3rd or 4th rounder on a FB in 2009. Granted, that's if BA is gone...... send him back to Cleve.

pfelix73
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I knew that has been wasn't going to work out..... How? I just did. As said before, my buddy was Temple's QB back in the BA days at Temple. A QB that had nothing good to say about him!

GreggyDigital
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Re: This O-Line is Good Now?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooo.

flippy
12-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Any OLine that has to block for an offense that doesn't consistently attempt to run the ball and has a QB that's going to look to make big plays every play is going to struggle.

We need to keep trying to run it. And throw more quick passes to take some pressure off these guys.

I'll give you they aren't very good. But they also aren't as bad as many perceive.....

frankthetank1
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
one sack in the first half was on ben. the rest were on the o-line though. the cowboys pass rush is very good though. colon has to go. even kemo didnt play well at all. i dont know about him. he is pretty inconsistent and the steelers better not spend a lot to keep him. i think stapleton has played just as well if not better this season. starks was ok i thought

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
2 Sacks came from Ben holding the ball to create. 1 was either on Ben or a WR on the CB blitz. I couldn't tell if the WR gave Ben an option or not but Ben didn't see it anyway. 2 were on the OL. Ben also avoided sacks trying to create. Sacks will come with Ben. He didn't turn the ball over and took a sack instead of forcing a ball. His decisions helped us win. Knowing football and knowing what you get with Ben, I'll take it! The opposite which so many people are looking for versus giving up sacks is Romo's performance. Get rid of the ball because of pressure and hope for the best. Give me Ben's performance with a little better completion percentage and the 2-3 sacks...I will take it over 2-3 INTS anyday!!! Turnovers loose ball games not giving up sacks!!!

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
I was one of the people who thought the o-line was coming together, although I don't know if I had any posts to reflect that. Obviously, based on yesterday, I was wrong.

Now, I don't want to take anything away from Dallas, they played well on defense yesterday (see post script). However, the breakdowns that I see are techniques based and that is what is frustrating to me. Two plays specifically that they replayed yesterday...first, Kemo getting beat in the A-gap on a blitz (AGAIN!). When the center has a man on his opposite shoulder, the guard MUST step in side to protect the gap, even if he is looking to his outside. He has to have is feet in the right spot to be able to shut off that gap, and obviously he did not, as the backer blew through the hole causing Kemo to dive & lose his feet. Secondly, Colon on the goal line on 4th & 1 had far too much weight forward causing him to lose his feet & get a face full of dirt. If he keeps his feet under him, a good hand check on the backer shooting the gap would have allowed Russell to get to the play side with some momentum, and possibly getting in the end zone.

Offensive & Defensive line play is possibly the most technique-sensitive positions on the field. All of the players in the NFL are big, strong, & quick. ANY DEVIATION from prescribed technique allows the opponent an advantage, and the technique mistakes seem to come most often from the afore-mentioned players. Hopefully the mistakes can be corrected before the season is over, or this team will continue to struggle with inconsisten play on offense.

Pete

P.S. - One thing that irritates me about many posts that we see are the ones that fail to objectively observe the game. For instance, Pittsburgh stunk on offense because our offense sux, but Dallas stunk on offense because our defense is great. Romo missed as many opportunities as Ben did yesterday, it wasn't because the Steelers shut them down on every play. Conversely, Dallas's defense forced Pittsburgh into some mistakes yesterday with their good schemes & solid play.

SteelerNation1
12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I know some of the people that told me this on the Trib Board are back over here. Come on, where are you? You told me this line was good now after getting to play together for a few weeks!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They are better than they were a few weeks ago. Are they dominant? No. Ben is responsible for a couple of the sacks yesterday. My biggest complaint is not the pressure on BEn, its the inability to run when the other team knows we're running

AngryAsian
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
They are better than they were a few weeks ago. Are they dominant? No. Ben is responsible for a couple of the sacks yesterday. My biggest complaint is not the pressure on BEn, its the inability to run when the other team knows we're running

I think that is just a product of conditioning. As Steeler fans we are so used to our SMASHMOUTH football of yesteryear and it kills us that we don't have that ability now. Before, regardless of whether they knew we were coming or not, we still shoved the pigskin down opposing defenses' throats and didn't bother to ask them "would you like a seconds and thirds?" We dictated the pace, chewed up clock and wore defenses down. I'm not saying that we shouldn't adapt to a more pass happy system which seems to be the flavor of the decade, but can't we have both. From what I remember a great running game always set up the pass. But with this line, or at least the type of offensive plays that we're asking our line to perform, just isn't cutting it. This fact is augmented because we have a SuperBowl winner in two of the three facets of our team. Our O is just too inconsistent and this fact is a scary thought come deep in the playoffs.

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I was one of the people who thought the o-line was coming together, although I don't know if I had any posts to reflect that. Obviously, based on yesterday, I was wrong.

Now, I don't want to take anything away from Dallas, they played well on defense yesterday (see post script). However, the breakdowns that I see are techniques based and that is what is frustrating to me. Two plays specifically that they replayed yesterday...first, Kemo getting beat in the A-gap on a blitz (AGAIN!). When the center has a man on his opposite shoulder, the guard MUST step in side to protect the gap, even if he is looking to his outside. He has to have is feet in the right spot to be able to shut off that gap, and obviously he did not, as the backer blew through the hole causing Kemo to dive & lose his feet. Secondly, Colon on the goal line on 4th & 1 had far too much weight forward causing him to lose his feet & get a face full of dirt. If he keeps his feet under him, a good hand check on the backer shooting the gap would have allowed Russell to get to the play side with some momentum, and possibly getting in the end zone.

Offensive & Defensive line play is possibly the most technique-sensitive positions on the field. All of the players in the NFL are big, strong, & quick. ANY DEVIATION from prescribed technique allows the opponent an advantage, and the technique mistakes seem to come most often from the afore-mentioned players. Hopefully the mistakes can be corrected before the season is over, or this team will continue to struggle with inconsisten play on offense.

Pete

P.S. - One thing that irritates me about many posts that we see are the ones that fail to objectively observe the game. For instance, Pittsburgh stunk on offense because our offense sux, but Dallas stunk on offense because our defense is great. Romo missed as many opportunities as Ben did yesterday, it wasn't because the Steelers shut them down on every play. Conversely, Dallas's defense forced Pittsburgh into some mistakes yesterday with their good schemes & solid play.

I think one thing we miss on the Oline is Faneca's awareness. Kemo is not consistant in that area. There are times when I think he looks lost. It is one area that he can work on to get better. I think it will with more playing time.

When I see threads like this I think, people are so quick say the Oline is bad or a player is bad based off of 1 or 2 games. Sometimes it is all or nothing with some people. I realize that they are working to get better. People expect perfection every week. That is not going to happen. If the organization went off the knee jerk reactions of fans, this team would not have any players.

Some people never want to give the other teams credit. It is always about what the Steelers do or do not do. Sometimes the other guys do a better job. They are professionals and get paid to do a job. They have just as much talent or more than the Steelers.

papillon
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
This offensive line is certianly the weak link in this team, I have no doubt. But, just to put some perspective on their play and the offense in genreral.

Ravens - 2
Titans - 3
Eagles - 5
Skins - 6
Giants - 7
Cowboys - 9
Colts - 13
Jax - 15
Pats - 16

Texans - 20
Bengals - 24
Chargers - 25
Browns - 27

The Steelers at the end of this year wil have played 10 games against defenses in the top half of the NFL, 7 against top 10 defenses and 6 against bottom dwellers. That's a tall order folks and the Steelers as a team are handling it well. The Steelers are one win away from securing a playoff spot and I fully expect that to happen this weekend in Baltimore.

The offense will get enough done to win this game, I'm looking for a good performance from the offense, efficient, protective of the ball and enough points to win.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
The OL wasn't bad yesterday.... Dallas has a tough front 4. We kept them off Ben most of the day... Ben had a blitzer front side and missed him.. and he also had hella time on at least 2 sacks.

Now the running game was disgusting but I expected a tough one against Dallas. Unfortunately it looks like Arians has one game plan for the NFC East teams.. go deep.

we had zilch in terms of slants and when we did go underneath Ben was throwing it very shallow and getting balls batted down. We also had some freaky fumbles.. Miller never fumbles and Ben's was just dumb.. who QB sneaks with one arm on the ball?

with all that we won.. I'll take it.

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Pete

I think one thing we miss on the Oline is Faneca's awareness. Kemo is not consistant in that area. There are times when I think he looks lost. It is one area that he can work on to get better. I think it will with more playing time.

When I see threads like this I think, people are so quick say the Oline is bad or a player is bad based off of 1 or 2 games. Sometimes it is all or nothing with some people. I realize that they are working to get better. People expect perfection every week. That is not going to happen. If the organization went off the knee jerk reactions of fans, this team would not have any players.

Some people never want to give the other teams credit. It is always about what the Steelers do or do not do. Sometimes the other guys do a better job. They are professionals and get paid to do a job. They have just as much talent or more than the Steelers.

Please don't misunderstand me on this post, I am not saying that the O-line is so bad that they all need to be replaced based on a game or a play. I only wanted to point out the errors coming from poor technique & the impotance of technique in offensive line play. I pointed out those two plays because they were replayed on TV and they were during critical situations.

The players the Steelers have in the current o-line are serviceable players, but they must practice good technique on every play! They do not have the physical ability to dominate opponents or recover from mistakes. To be successful, the Steeler's offensive line must have 100% pre-snap recognition & 100% perfect technique, because they are not superstar athletes. While 100% attainment is probably not likely, they must improve & be concious of their limitations to take this offense from inconsistent to productive. The offense doesn't need to score 35 every week, but 20 points (from the offense!) is almost a guaranteed win.

Pete

Jooser
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Any OLine that has to block for an offense that doesn't consistently attempt to run the ball and has a QB that's going to look to make big plays every play is going to struggle.

We need to keep trying to run it. And throw more quick passes to take some pressure off these guys.

I'll give you they aren't very good. But they also aren't as bad as many perceive.....

:Agree

This line isn't very good, but Ben almost NEVER looks to the check down man. How many times did Dallas check down to Whitten or Choice over the middle or the flats to beat our rush? They were burning our butts on it. So, I agree with Flippy that Ben is always trying to push for the big play down field. Sometimes it works out, sometimes he gets sacked or forces the ball. We've seen what taking what the defense gives you can do the last few weeks before the game yesterday. Quick passes, check down to Moore or Heath, it looked good to us and took alot of heat off this bad O-line. That's either another poor reflection of Arians gameplanning, or it's a lack of execution by Ben-about which Tomlin referred to half-time. One more thing about INTs, with as many passes as Ben threw into that D-line last night (i.e. the one into the defenders helmet on what would have been a TD), he is very lucky not to have been picked. This is something that happens alot to him. Maybe it's the oline, maybe it's lack of vision, maybe the trajectory of the ball is too low, I don't know, but luck was on his side last night, lucky for him Vrabel wasn't there to catch one of those passes instead batting it away.

That's the way I see it. -Jooser

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Pete

Please don't misunderstand me on this post, I am not saying that the O-line is so bad that they all need to be replaced based on a game or a play. I only wanted to point out the errors coming from poor technique & the impotance of technique in offensive line play. I pointed out those two plays because they were replayed on TV and they were during critical situations.

The players the Steelers have in the current o-line are serviceable players, but they must practice good technique on every play! They do not have the physical ability to dominate opponents or recover from mistakes. To be successful, the Steeler's offensive line must have 100% pre-snap recognition & 100% perfect technique, because they are not superstar athletes. While 100% attainment is probably not likely, they must improve & be concious of their limitations to take this offense from inconsistent to productive. The offense doesn't need to score 35 every week, but 20 points (from the offense!) is almost a guaranteed win.

Pete

I did not mean you were attacking the players on the Oline. I was just making a general point inregards to the title of the thread. It is all or nothing with some fans. I am good with your analysis. You seem like a logical fan. I agree that most of the players on the Oline are serviceable. I think they are working to improve every week. I think they are doing a better job than most people thought they would.

I expect the organization to address the Oline in the offseason or through the draft. That is, if any players are within reason.