PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich

steelnavy
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
When Ben is on, he is great. When he is hurt and off his game, he stinks and it doesn't get better over time. Would it really hurt to try Leftwich? What could happen? Like maybe not getting a first down?!?

SteelTorch
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
When Ben is on, he is great. When he is hurt and off his game, he stinks and it doesn't get better over time. Would it really hurt to try Leftwich? What could happen? Like maybe not getting a first down?!?
I hate to say it, but I'm almost ready to agree. We are not getting anything done right now, although the problem goes far beyond just Ben. Everyone is sucking on O right now.

pittpete
12-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Ben is off today
Maybe hes thinking of Jessica :wft

RussBII
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
No way...

Been was off today, but he wasn't horrible. He was playing against a pretty good D and was held back by some seriously freaking bad play calling.

There weren't a ton of crappy interceptions... he took care of the ball mostly.. (fumble on the QB sneak tho, wtf?)... and he engineered a nice game tying drive.

Having Lefty in would've resulted in 3x the amount of sacks.

stlrz d
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
You don't bench the franchise QB.

Some of those plays he made late in the game (like that pass on the sideline) Lefty could only dream about.

steeler_george
12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
No way do you bench your starting QB, especially when it is Big Ben.

steelnavy
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
No way...

Been was off today, but he wasn't horrible. He was playing against a pretty good D and was held back by some seriously freaking bad play calling.

There weren't a ton of crappy interceptions... he took care of the ball mostly.. (fumble on the QB sneak tho, wtf?)... and he engineered a nice game tying drive.

I recall a game earlier this season when Lefty lit it up after replacing an ineffective Ben. But its all moot anyway, as the Steelers pulled it out. Whoo Hoo!

Ezekiel 25:17
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
No way...

I recall a game earlier this season when Lefty lit it up after replacing an ineffective Ben. But its all moot anyway, as the Steelers pulled it out. Whoo Hoo!

An injured Ben, not an ineffective Ben.

There's a difference.

RussBII
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
No way...

That was a much worse performance by Ben Roethlisberger. Also if i recall, Ben was hurt, he didn't get benched.

stlrz d
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
No way...

Keep in mind, Lefty is a back up for a reason.

steelnavy
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
No way do you bench your starting QB, especially when it is Big Ben.

After losing the ball on the quarterback sneak, he was holding his left arm. Replacing for injury (if he was) is not benching your quarterback. There have been a few games when it was obvious that Ben was playing hurt (and not very well I might add) and Tomlin never took the opportunity to shake things up.

phillyesq
12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
No way...

Keep in mind, Lefty is a back up for a reason.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

StlrzD,

I agree with both of your posts in this thread. You DON'T bench the franchise qb, and Leftwich is a backup for a reason.

Yes, Leftwich had a good half earlier this year. Mike Tomczak played some great halves in his day as well. But time as proven that while a backup qb can provide a temporary spark, ultimately, they are backups for a reason.

Steelnavy, did you forget that Leftwich got run out Jacksonville, and then failed with Atlanta?

Iron Shiek
12-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I hate to do this since a couple people already said this...but I am going to pile on anyway.

This is may be the worst post of the day. I am not trying to offend anyone, and I understand that I say this now in hindsight. But if I had been logged on during the game, I'd be saying the same thing. BEN IS THE FRANCHISE, there's a reason they dished out $100+ million. How can a thought like "put Leftwich in" even cross someone's mind. The kid is special and someone like him doesn't come around very often (reference Lions, Detroit 1952-2008). I get frustrated seeing posts like this because I think people might take Ben for granted.

phillyesq
12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I hate to do this since a couple people already said this...but I am going to pile on anyway.

This is may be the worst post of the day. I am not trying to offend anyone, and I understand that I say this now in hindsight. But if I had been logged on during the game, I'd be saying the same thing. BEN IS THE FRANCHISE, there's a reason they dished out $100+ million. How can a thought like "put Leftwich in" even cross someone's mind. The kid is special and someone like him doesn't come around very often (reference Lions, Detroit 1952-2008). I get frustrated seeing posts like this because I think people might take Ben for granted.

It was a totally asinine post. No reason you shouldn't pile on.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with benching Ben......for the Cleveland game when we already have the first round bye sewn up.

Until then, if he can play then he plays!!!

Ballbuster
12-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Bench Ben?

Absolutely.

There is no better player in the minds of armchair QB's than the backup.

SuperSize
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Hilarious! Put Lefty in!

Be happy, Steeler Nation! If you want to know how other people feel about Ben, read David Moore's article in the Dallas Morning News ("It's Sweet 16 Comebacks for Pittsburgh's Roethlisberger"), that should sum it up.

Sorry I didn't post a link, I am functionally illiterate when it comes to posting links, pics, etc.

Pete

steelnavy
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but I never meant to say just bench him outright for playing poorly. When I wrote it, I was thinking about him hurting his left arm and wondering if it affected his play (without writing that). I just don't see a reason to play him when he is hurt and having a bad game. This has happened a couple of times this season. IF Ben was hurt, Tomlin could try Leftwich to put a spark in the offense. I am glad that he didn't, but just sayin'.

And, wasn't Leftwich let go because he was a paper doll Sally cream cheese that always got hurt, and not necessarily because of his play at qback?