PDA

View Full Version : Our offense SUCKS

SteelTorch
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm watching our offense right now, and frankly I'm sickened by what I see. Bad playcalling, bad execution, and bad mistakes. We just can't seem to get our heads in the game. It's not their defense playing well, it's that our o is playing so poorly. The only reason we're still in this is due to our D and Dallas's incompetence. Thank God for our defense, because our offense just is not dependable.

I hate to sound like a troll, but I'm just very frustrated. I don't know what it is, but we will not get very far if our O continues to play like this. :x

steelz09
12-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm watching our offense right now, and frankly I'm sickened by what I see. Bad playcalling, bad execution, and bad mistakes. We just can't seem to et our heads in the game. It's not their defense playing well, it's that our o is playing so poorly. The only reason we're still in this is due to our D and Dallas's incompetence. Thank God for our defense, because our offense just is not dependable.

I hate to sound like a troll, but I'm just very frustrated. I don't know what it is, but we will not get very far if our O continues to play like this. :x

Your absolutely right -- Our offense is terrible. We're not being "haters" or "trollers". If your watching the game 2 things are obvious:

1) Our defense is as good as advertised. Thus far, they're playing lights out.
2) Our offense is a disgrace. Ben is playing poorly, again. I know this WON'T be the popular opinion but I want to see more of Moore and less of Parker. I also want to know why Spaeth and Miller are NOT in the game on critical 3rd downs. I also wouldn't be opposed to putting Leftwich in if this continues.

pfelix73
12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
The whole thing comes down to coaching- Arians!

tomiesteel08
12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
The whole thing comes down to coaching- Arians!

what waste of a Great defense for this piss poor offense

GreggyDigital
12-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Hard to watch this.

4 turn overs = 3 points.

I thought it couldn't get worse than Philly but if we lose this game...

steelz09
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Hard to watch this.

4 turn overs = 3 points.

I didn't start a thread after the Patriots* game regarding our offense because of the amount of points we put up. But if you rewatch the game, our offense was anemic then too, its just that our defense gave us such great field position that we we're able to score. Ben, and our offense are simply just NOT GOOD. I hate to say it but its true.

It really is disappointing that our defense is definitely championship caliber but we won't win a SB with this offense. It simply won't happen.

feltdizz
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
we have turned the ball over 2 times as well... Miller, which is rare.. and a QB sneak running into his own player...

it's been an ugly defensive game. I think 10-3 could be the final score

tomiesteel08
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Hard to watch this.

4 turn overs = 3 points.

I didn't start a thread after the Patriots* game regarding our offense because of the amount of points we put up. But if you rewatch the game, our offense was anemic then too, its just that our defense gave us such great field position that we we're able to score. Ben, and our offense are simply just NOT GOOD. I hate to say it but its true.

It really is disappointing that our defense is definitely championship caliber but we won't win a SB with this offense. It simply won't happen.

we can only go as far as our D will take us. Next week isn't going to be easy

pfelix73
12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I concur to the poster about the O in the NE game. We scored those 33 points because of the TOs.

This Offense HAS to get going. No huddle in the 2nd half.

Jom112
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
You guys need to start running the football better. I see the tackles backed up a lot to help in pass protection but they need to play up and start opening up holes for Willie Parker...

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.firebrucearians.com

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm watching our offense right now, and frankly I'm sickened by what I see. Bad playcalling, bad execution, and bad mistakes. We just can't seem to get our heads in the game. It's not their defense playing well, it's that our o is playing so poorly. The only reason we're still in this is due to our D and Dallas's incompetence. Thank God for our defense, because our offense just is not dependable.

Well put. I share your frustration. We have a Super-Bowl defense, but the way it's looking we're going to waste it with a mind-bogglingly inept offense. Difficult to envision the Steelers making it to the Big Game the way this O is performing.

NorthCoast
12-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I think one play in particular about sums it up. At the goal line who in their right mind calls a swing pass to CAREY DAVIS in the flat????

I really think BA overthinks things way too much. We have a terrible 4th and short record especially running the ball and yet no plays to a tight end fade.....?

Willie Colon falls over and doesn't get the block at the OL...?? And why can't the OL seem to get any push to the second level?? They are very weak against top 10 defenses.

SidSmythe
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I think one play in particular about sums it up. At the goal line who in their right mind calls a swing pass to CAREY DAVIS in the flat????

I really think BA overthinks things way too much. We have a terrible 4th and short record especially running the ball and yet no plays to a tight end fade.....?

Willie Colon falls over and doesn't get the block at the OL...?? And why can't the OL seem to get any push to the second level?? They are very weak against top 10 defenses.

I have to agree.

Oviedo
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Doesn't matter we won.

NorthCoast
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Doesn't matter we won.

Well you are right. It doesn't matter.....TODAY. But it will matter soon when one game means continuing or going home.

Ben continues to make plays while on the run, and yet BA rarely seems to call rollouts to get him moving. And why no passes to Moore in the flat?...maybe that is on Ben because he didn't use the checkdown very often today. I guess I do have to give credit to one creative play all day on the fake reverse, but for the most part it seemed an awfully vanilla O again.

Mick'sTeam
12-07-2008, 10:32 PM
This game was really frustrating to watch. If the defense is constantly on the field, teams will eventually be able to move the ball a little. The D carried us through this one, but the O has to step it up.

I agree with the previous comment about Moore, I prefer him over FWP at this point. Parker is so indecisive and never hits the hole at all. Moore has been big all year and I'd rather spell him with Parker than the other way around.

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, Oviedo, it does matter if it continues...

I think that MM > FWP right now for the most part.

I think today Ben was sloppy.

Our O-Line was crappy, as per the usual.

We had some drops, as per the usual.

Mostly, I think it's Arians though. Why would you put FWP in at the goalline to punch it in when Russell is the proven back in that situation? What was that about?

Hines couldn't get open or something today. Was he playing?

Yeah, it was a pretty bad offensive showing.

Our D was pretty awesome except for that one drive...

Anyhow, carry on.

(and fire Bruce Arians)

Iron Shiek
12-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm watching our offense right now, and frankly I'm sickened by what I see. Bad playcalling, bad execution, and bad mistakes. We just can't seem to et our heads in the game. It's not their defense playing well, it's that our o is playing so poorly. The only reason we're still in this is due to our D and Dallas's incompetence. Thank God for our defense, because our offense just is not dependable.

Your absolutely right -- Our offense is terrible. We're not being "haters" or "trollers". If your watching the game 2 things are obvious:

1) Our defense is as good as advertised. Thus far, they're playing lights out.
2) Our offense is a disgrace. Ben is playing poorly, again. I know this WON'T be the popular opinion but I want to see more of Moore and less of Parker. I also want to know why Spaeth and Miller are NOT in the game on critical 3rd downs. I also wouldn't be opposed to putting Leftwich in if this continues.

Honestly...this kind of statement makes me sick. I know its in hindsight and we win...but at no point during the game did I ever think Leftwich needed to come in or was the answer. Dude is a backup for a reason. Ben is the franchise...you don't bench the franchise. Numerous things contributed to his struggles...including some of his own issues which I won't dismiss. But to feel the need for Leftwich to come in is ludicrous.

SteelTorch
12-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Doesn't matter we won.
It sure as hell does matter. We can't depend on our D to get a pick 6 every game and bale us out. We need to be able to rely on our offense to score points and frankly at this point I can't. This isn't just a recent thing either, this has been going on all season.

frankthetank1
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Doesn't matter we won.
It sure as hell does matter. We can't depend on our D to get a pick 6 every game and bale us out. We need to be able to rely on our offense to score points and frankly at this point I can't. This isn't just a recent thing either, this has been going on all season.

the offense was great in new england though. they had 160 on the ground against the number 7th run defense in the nfl. up untill a couple weeks ago they have been awsome in the red zone. they will get back on track, maybe not next weekend though

flippy
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Dallas took away the run.

Good teams can and will do that in the playoffs.

It's good to see it now rather than seeing it in 5 weeks.

Uncle Rico
12-08-2008, 09:36 AM
It seems like the offense can only function effectively when it goes into panic mode.

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Doesn't matter we won.

Well you are right. It doesn't matter.....TODAY. But it will matter soon when one game means continuing or going home.

Ben continues to make plays while on the run, and yet BA rarely seems to call rollouts to get him moving. And why no passes to Moore in the flat?...maybe that is on Ben because he didn't use the checkdown very often today. I guess I do have to give credit to one creative play all day on the fake reverse, but for the most part it seemed an awfully vanilla O again.

I agree that the offense has been inconsistant this season. They have to get better/more consistant. Especially when the defense makes stops for good field position and gets turnovers. I think most of the struggles go back to the inconsistancies from Ben. The Oline has not been great but they have been good enough to give Ben time to pass (3 or 4 of the sacks in the Cowboys game were probably on Ben). The Oline has been inconsistant in the run game. Hard to say how much because there is no way to know how defenses are playing the run. Injuries have hurt the run game too. When the run game stuggles or is being stopped, we need Ben and the WRs to step up and play better.

Ben has not been that good on the move this season. He's missed far more than he's made plays. He has not been consistantly good from the pocket this season either. How do you know how vanilla the offense was? At the end of the day, it is how well the offense executes.

papillon
12-08-2008, 09:44 AM

You're missing one very important fact (other than the Steelers are winning football games) and that is that the offense isn't giving games away by turning the football over repeatedly. Ben is taking care of the ball (the last 3 or 4 games) and with this defense that will win you games. There are enough play makers on offense that even when they've been throttled for 3 plus quarters any mental break-down by the opposing defense allows the Steelers to get points. That's what happened today and then the defense finished the job.

The offense doesn't suck, they are simply inconsistent this year. Yesterday they pass protected very well, but, couldn't get push in the running game. Then for one drive when the Steelers needed to put a drive together they did. It's difficult to watch, but right now it is effective.

I remember watching the 2000 Ravens and kept saying "there's no way to continue winning without a better offense." I was wrong. The Ravens offense went three or four games without scoring a TD and won all but one of the games or won all of the games. It was ugly, but, effective. This is going to be a wild ride from here on out, sit back and enjoy it.

You want to see ugly? Wait until this coming Sunday, the final might be 6-3 and it could go either way.

It's all good the Steelers are in a good position and control their own destiny against the toughest schedule in 50 years.

Pappy

Oviedo
12-08-2008, 09:55 AM

Mostly, I think it's Arians though. Why would you put FWP in at the goalline to punch it in when Russell is the proven back in that situation? What was that about?

Anyhow, carry on.

(and fire Bruce Arians)

Everything you mention is a problem with execution. How is that Arians' fault? Players are the ones dropping passes, throwing behind receivers, under throwing passes, missing blocks, etc.

Our biggest problem on offense is the inconsistency of the OL. That is a lack of talent issue. Also we have essentially played the season without our top 2 running backs. How many teams in the NFL would have a 10-3 record without their top 2 RBs? What would the Giants be with Jacobs and Bradshaw or the Titans without White and Johnson?

I could really care less if Arians stays as OC because I have less confidence then others that the replacement is better. Steeler fans have complained about every OC we have had for the last 10 years. Personally I think Chan Gailey was the only decent one we had.

papillon
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
It seems like the offense can only function effectively when it goes into panic mode.

That's why I like the no huddle and running the two minute offense in the middle of the game. When the adrenaline is pumping Ben seems to play his best and the other players feed off of that.

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
12-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Anyhow, carry on.

(and fire Bruce Arians)

Everything you mention is a problem with execution. How is that Arians' fault? Players are the ones dropping passes, throwing behind receivers, under throwing passes, missing blocks, etc.

Our biggest problem on offense is the inconsistency of the OL. That is a lack of talent issue. Also we have essentially played the season without our top 2 running backs. How many teams in the NFL would have a 10-3 record without their top 2 RBs? What would the Giants be with Jacobs and Bradshaw or the Titans without White and Johnson?

I could really care less if Arians stays as OC because I have less confidence then others that the replacement is better. Steeler fans have complained about every OC we have had for the last 10 years. Personally I think Chan Gailey was the only decent one we had.

While everything I mentioned was execution, I just didn't go into details about the play calling because it seems to be a constant at this point.

Everyone may have complained about every OC we've had, but Arians is the first one that made decisions that I, while sitting at home, knew were stupid when he did them pretty dang often.

Either that or my football acumen has grown to the point that I'm able to recognize those kinds of mistakes more (and that can't be it).

Yes, we are having issues all around on offense, but in my opinion that doesn't lessen the negative impact and just seemingly idiotic play-calling that Arians has brought since he's been here.

To your point about talent, there's no way to know how the Giants would be, etc, but I don't think Choice did much worse than Barber would've done last night. There are some good back-ups in the NFL just waiting for their shot.

I'm not trying to take anything away from what we've accomplished in the face of all these injuries, but our record speaks more about our HC, our DC, our back ups hence our FO and draft decisions, and our defense in general. Our offense definitely has problems: O-Line, Ben being off, WR drops, etc, but to ignore the fairly consistent problems we've had with offensive play calling and the like (drop the smashmouth FB, slow developing pass plays when we don't have the offensive line capabilities to support them, empty sets, seemingly nonsensical personnel moves like putting FWP in to punch it in at the goal line etc) is something I can't do.

eniparadoxgma
12-08-2008, 12:58 PM

That's why I like the no huddle and running the two minute offense in the middle of the game. When the adrenaline is pumping Ben seems to play his best and the other players feed off of that.

Pappy

I was calling for the no huddle halfway through the 3rd quarter yesterday. I called it in the game chat as well, saying that we'd wait until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter to start running the no huddle and that we'd have success with it.

Why don't we do this more often in the middle of the game? At least for a few series as a change up...to test out...etc?

frankthetank1
12-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Pappy

I was calling for the no huddle halfway through the 3rd quarter yesterday. I called it in the game chat as well, saying that we'd wait until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter to start running the no huddle and that we'd have success with it.

Why don't we do this more often in the middle of the game? At least for a few series as a change up...to test out...etc?

i love the no huddle and have no idea why they dont go to it more often especially in a game like yesterday. if what your doing is not working why not try other things? thats common sense

papillon
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Pappy

I'm not sure, but, I'd love to see the Steelers run the two minute offense as if there were two minutes left in the game. Not the no huddle (although, I do think it would be a nice change of pace.), the two minute offense is the helter skelter stuff that Ben thrives on. If you complete a pass run up to the line moving players, getting them lined up, calling out the play, I mean try to create complete chaos for the defense. If you move the chains do the same thing, it makes the refs think faster as well.

On occasion when Ben runs the no huddle it's so slow getting up to the line that you lose the benefit trying to keep the defense on their heels.

Papillon