PDA

View Full Version : Is bmac a must sign fa any more?

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
i dont think he is. i am sold on gay. i've always thought he has a ton of potential and he is only a second year player. if he progresses at this rate he will be an elite cb. i would love to keep bmac. he is pretty young and a very good cb and its always nice having at least 3 good to very good cb's. this pass rush makes cb's look a lot better which could be another reason not to go crazy trying to re-sign bmac. we all know the o-line and d-line are more of a priority as well.

Iron Shiek
12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
i am sold on gay

I wouldn't say that too loudly...queerbait might hear you. :shock:

There was a discussion about this recently and I think BMAC would be a must sign FA if the price is right. He likely will try to break the bank, but I don't see what support he has for it other than potential. Dude's been hurt quite a bit and if I recall he wasn't even the starter coming out of camp.

I definitely want to keep him, but like you say, Gay is progressing nicely and we could use that money on OL help. However then we'd need another good CB as a replacement...gotta roll with 4 good to decent ones....no weak links in coverage please.

Iron Shiek
12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Double post...sorry.

ANPSTEEL
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
i dont think he is. i am sold on gay. i've always thought he has a ton of potential and he is only a second year player. if he progresses at this rate he will be an elite cb. i would love to keep bmac. he is pretty young and a very good cb and its always nice having at least 3 good to very good cb's. this pass rush makes cb's look a lot better which could be another reason not to go crazy trying to re-sign bmac. we all know the o-line and d-line are more of a priority as well.

yes- if he will accept a deal for about the same amount as ike- or slightly higher.

agdci981
12-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I am not a big fan of William Gay. Good special teams player but I haven't seen enough at the CB spot to say I am completely sold on him as a starter going into next season or when Townsend is done here.

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I am not a big fan of William Gay. Good special teams player but I haven't seen enough at the CB spot to say I am completely sold on him as a starter going into next season or when Townsend is done here.

for a second year player who was a fifth round pick you couldnt hope for any more than how well he has played when he was forced to start about a month ago

agdci981
12-06-2008, 03:46 PM

for a second year player who was a fifth round pick you couldnt hope for any more than how well he has played when he was forced to start about a month ago
Ok...well if you want to go forward with him as a starter his draft round is completely irrelevent. Playing at a very high level is all that matters at this point and I am not completely sold on that yet.

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Ok...well if you want to go forward with him as a starter his draft round is completely irrelevent. Playing at a very high level is all that matters at this point and I am not completely sold on that yet.

that is true but how much better than gay is bmac? this is the first year i have seen him play better than average besides the 2005 playoffs. gay has shown more in his first two years and i think with this pass rush you dont really need elite cb's

agdci981
12-06-2008, 04:05 PM
that is true but how much better than gay is bmac? this is the first year i have seen him play better than average besides the 2005 playoffs. gay has shown more in his first two years and i think with this pass rush you dont really need elite cb's
BMac shut down Reggie Wayne in the fourth quarter of the playoff game at Indy his second year (or was that his rookie year? ) as well....so remember this guy has shown he can play as well, even at that time, and I doubt he will be asking for the bank as a FA.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
It is a good position to be in...considering whether to let a FA starting CB go rather than sign him due to quality of talent at that position. One only needs to look back to the pre-Ike days to gain an appreciation for our CB play (remember...shiver...Charred Scott?)

The plusses to signing BMac slightly outweigh letting him go, but due to the solid play of Gay/Deshea in his absence, I don't think we pay shutdown corner prices for him. I'd LOVE to see him and Ike for the next few years at the corners, though.

It brings back memories of the 70s...not even when Rod played, because the CBs on his other side were average. BMac and Ike could be our best duo on the corners since......

That said, we shouldn't break the bank in doing so. Especially with the money in the league that could lure other FAs away in 2010 when the changes to the salary cap go into effect.

Iron Shiek
12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Well he has recently brought in Drew Rosenhaus as his agent if I'm not mistaken. Dude has shown potential, that seems all you need to do for Rosenhaus to get the Raiders to dish out $60 or $70 million dollar contracts.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Well he has recently brought in Drew Rosenhaus as his agent if I'm not mistaken. Dude has shown potential, that seems all you need to do for Rosenhaus to get the Raiders to dish out $60 or $70 million dollar contracts.

If Rosenhaus is his agent, then Gay is our starter next year, backed up by Deshea.

Mick'sTeam
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I am afraid McFadden and Rosenhaus will be looking for a lot more money than the Steelers will be willing to spend, and some other team will give it to him. I am thrilled w/ how Gay has played, but I'm with ag on this, just not yet sold on him as a full time starter.

BigRob
12-06-2008, 11:31 PM
In a single word: No!

Rosenhaus is already advising his client to sit out a week when he could have come back. We all better believe that teams are going to come hard after Bmac. With the way the CBA is going, BMAC is going to cash in big, big time. Couple that with a lack of FA corners available and you have a crazy market.

Plus everyone forgets how cheaply we have Silverback on the payroll. He is going to want to get paid and we cannot let him near FA. I don't think Silverback is going to want to kill the team on his pay, but he is going to command a huge chunk of money.

Couple that with all the FA's on the O-line and I can guarantee you Bmac is gone. Especially with the way Gay has played. In fact I am going to call it right now that we select a CB with 1 of our 2 first picks in the draft.

I would like to see us sign Eric King from the Titans this year. He broke his arm and was put on the IR, but he was their 3rd CB and is a very good pick-up in the vein of Ryan Clark.

flippy
12-07-2008, 09:29 AM
You can't have enough corners.

agdci981
12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
If Romo sees Roy Williams then Gay is criticized but luckily for him Romo missed him. This is at least the 3rd time now Gay has been put in a siuation where he has been beat for a score and has gotten lucky that the ball was dropped or the QB didn't see him and those are just plays I could catch on TV. No way, I am comfortable with Gay starting opposite Taylor opening day next year. Re-sign BMac.