PDA

View Full Version : Rookie TB Tashard Choice most likely to start Sunday...

Ezekiel 25:17
12-06-2008, 04:19 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2ea60.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/120608dnspocowbriefs.3d2ea60.html)

Dallas Cowboys' Choice might get start
If ailing Barber can't play, rookie running back will be asked to carry load
12:13 AM CST on Saturday, December 6, 2008

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com
IRVING With Marion Barber's availability for Sunday's game at Pittsburgh in question, Tashard Choice said he is ready if the Pro Bowl running back is not.

"I always prepare to do everything, but when you know there's an opportunity that you can do everything and are going to be everything in this game and they're going to rely on you a little more, you have to prepare differently," Choice said. "You've got to be ready on all cylinders."

Barber did not practice for the fourth straight day and was listed as questionable for Sunday's game with a dislocated little toe. He will work out before kickoff and a decision will be made.

Coach Wade Phillips said the training staff was working on a way to ease Barber's pain with a splint or shoe insert.

The Cowboys prepared for the possibility of not having Barber by calling up running back Alonzo Coleman from the practice squad Friday.

Phillips said the game plan would not change much if Barber did not play.

"We'd probably count more on the passing game than you would your backup running back," Phillips said. "But I've seen cases where backup running backs have come in and had big games. We think Tashard's a good back, so I think it'll be similar."

Pittsburgh has not allowed a tailback to rush for more than 73 yards in a game this season and has given up only five rushing touchdowns.

In his first collegiate start at Georgia Tech, Choice rushed for 84 yards on 29 carries in an upset of a No. 3-ranked Miami team.

"You never want to see a guy get hurt," said Choice, who has 147 yards on 30 carries in his rookie season. "It's not how you want your chance to start or play a lot, but if it comes, that's how you stay around is to take advantage of those opportunities. That's what I've got to do."

? Ware, Williams probable: Linebacker DeMarcus Ware (knee) practiced for the second straight day and is listed as probable, while wide receiver Roy Williams did not practice Friday because of a foot injury.

Williams, who was seen this week changing cleats a few times during practice, is listed as probable.

Ware said he would wear a brace on his left knee for added protection.

? Ready for the cold: With cold weather expected, the Cowboys sent a truck full of extra equipment to Pittsburgh on Thursday. The forecast is for a windy afternoon Sunday with possible snow showers and a high in the mid-20s.

Equipment manager Mike McCord said the team sent several bags filled with cold-weather gear.

? Briefly: Left guard Kyle Kosier had surgery to repair torn foot ligaments Friday. He was placed on injured reserve last week. ... To make room for Coleman, cornerback Quincy Butler was cut.

A rook at TB in 20 degree weather.

:tt1 :tt1

rpmpit
12-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I think Barber is one of the top rbs in the league. The guy runs like he's possessed. I love his style. This victory will be a lot easier without him in the game.

Ezekiel 25:17
12-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I think Barber is one of the top rbs in the league. The guy runs like he's possessed. I love his style. This victory will be a lot easier without him in the game.

Rookie TB, Pittsburghy weather, gimpy WR (williams), gimpy OLB (Ware).

Let's go Steelers!

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 01:21 PM
choice is pretty good. he played well last week and he was awesome in college. i really hope barber doesnt play, he is a beast. if i could chose any player to play for the steelers that isnt a current steeler it would be barber. i love how he runs, perfect balance of power and speed and he has good hands

rpmpit
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
choice is pretty good. he played well last week and he was awesome in college. i really hope barber doesnt play, he is a beast. if i could chose any player to play for the steelers that isnt a current steeler it would be barber. i love how he runs, perfect balance of power and speed and he has good hands

Yeah, Barber would make a good Steeler. But I think I'd take Brandon Jacobs over Barber. But not by much.

Jooser
12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
The question is this, can Choice pick up the blitz and help protect Romo the way that Barber does? Barber has been very good blocking in the backfield for Romo this year. That makes for an interesting matchup. :wink:

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah, Barber would make a good Steeler. But I think I'd take Brandon Jacobs over Barber. But not by much.

oh yeah i would love jacobs as a steeler too. cant go wrong with either of them. i miss the steelers having a big rb. russell runs with power and i like him a lot. he has a lot of potential but he isnt that big

AkronSteel
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The question is this, can Choice pick up the blitz and help protect Romo the way that Barber does? Barber has been very good blocking in the backfield for Romo this year. That makes for an interesting matchup. :wink:

The answer is no! The rookie will struggle with pass protection more than he struggles in the running game, and I don't think he will do that well in the running game. This game is setting up nice for the Steelers. They are in a good position to make another statement this week. Just like they did last week. The team seems to be hitting its stride at the right time.

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 02:29 PM

The answer is no! The rookie will struggle with pass protection more than he struggles in the running game, and I don't think he will do that well in the running game. This game is setting up nice for the Steelers. They are in a good position to make another statement this week. Just like they did last week. The team seems to be hitting its stride at the right time.

they really are starting to pour it on. the best time of the year to get hot, hopefully just like in 05 they can continue it in the post season. the offensive line is actually starting to gel. it looks like ware is going to play, but with a banged up knee and a sloppy field hopefully starks can contain him. im sure choice will struggle with picking up blitzes. this defense is just too good.

frankthetank1
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
its offical, choice will start barber did not make the trip to pittsburgh!! :Cheers

BigLebowski
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
its offical, choice will start barber did not make the trip to pittsburgh!! :Cheers

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3750017)

:Steel :Cheers :Steel

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2008, 05:51 PM

oh yeah i would love jacobs as a steeler too. cant go wrong with either of them. i miss the steelers having a big rb. russell runs with power and i like him a lot. he has a lot of potential but he isnt that big

Russell did a pretty good job replacing Barber at Minnesota. First it was Barber and Maroney splitting carries, then when Barber left for the NFL, it was Russell and Maroney splitting carries, and the Golden Gopher run game did not miss a beat. Barber started out as a complementary back in Dallas and grew into his current beast role. Perhaps Russell can do something similar here in the Burgh.