PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to slowly but surely transition Timmons into game..

mr.pittsburgh
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I think that this is what the Steelers are doing right now. They are slowly transitioning him into games to gain more experience and eventually take over for Foote. I think by playoff time we could see him getting more playing time than Foote.

I am hoping that he gets a lot of playing time this week to cover Witten/Bennett. Foote is just not a very good coverage guy and Timmons is one of the best on this team.

flippy
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
i expect to see a lot of both of them.

foote's a solid guy. one of our most consistent players on D over the last couple of years.

besides, timmons lines up all over the field with a ton of assignments.

there's still room for foote in the middle.

mr.pittsburgh
12-05-2008, 01:44 PM

foote's a solid guy. one of our most consistent players on D over the last couple of years.

I don't think Foote is one of our better defensive players. I actually would put him as one of our worst. He is the weakest out of all of our LBs and Timmons seems to be a huge upgrade over him when he comes in to play.

Oviedo
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Timmons needs to be a huge factor this Sunday in shutting down Witten. If Barber is out the running game is less of a concern than Witten catching 8-10 balls. I think we will see alot of Timmons. I'd love to see another almost pick 6 by Timmons on Sunday.

flippy
12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

I don't think Foote is one of our better defensive players. I actually would put him as one of our worst. He is the weakest out of all of our LBs and Timmons seems to be a huge upgrade over him when he comes in to play.

i just see them as different.

foote's better against the run.

timmons is a better pass rusher off the edge and better in coverage.

SuperSize
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM

I don't know if you can use the word "worst" on anyone in this current defense's rotation. LeBeau is pushing all of the right buttons so far and if he thinks Foote needs to be on the field, then so do I.

Pete

agdci981
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I have heard that Timmons is, to put it bluntly, dumb and that is a major reason he is not seeing the field. Foote, on the other hand, knwos the defense in and out and just being in the right gaps when rushing the passer is big enough a lot of the time. No doubt Timmons is a better athlete and all when compared to Foote but you need to know the intricacies of the scheme as well and Timmons just doesn't have a grasp of those yet.

Ozey74
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I have heard that Timmons is, to put it bluntly, dumb and that is a major reason he is not seeing the field. Foote, on the other hand, knwos the defense in and out and just being in the right gaps when rushing the passer is big enough a lot of the time. No doubt Timmons is a better athlete and all when compared to Foote but you need to know the intricacies of the scheme as well and Timmons just doesn't have a grasp of those yet.

I wouldn't be surprised with what you have heard. Hopefully he will grasp what he needs to soon in order to be a starter.

:tt2

feltdizz
12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Foote is not a bad player... he is just the weakest of our LB core.. but our LB core is the best there is. Foote is a role player... both are needed at this time..

Foote is our Kurt Rambis.. he starts but he usually isn't in the game when it's the 4th quarter in crunch time in passing situations...

He is most valuable when we need early stops in the run in the first half of the game. People over rate starting in this defense...

McFadden, Gay, Eason, Hoke, Timmons.. all these guys see a decent amount of playing time.. there is no need to have 4 every down LB's playing on every snap.

AngryAsian
12-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I think what makes Timmons a valuable asset is that he is being rotated in most of the LB positions. Regardless of where he lines up he's a formidable and bears watching. Will he eventually fill Foote's spot, probably, but how can one improve on one of the leagues best all time defenses. If the season ended now this defense's current statistical ranking would be equal only to the 1991 Eagles squad. Quite impressive.

agdci981
12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I think what makes Timmons a valuable asset is that he is being rotated in most of the LB positions. Regardless of where he lines up he's a formidable and bears watching. Will he eventually fill Foote's spot, probably, but how can one improve on one of the leagues best all time defenses. If the season ended now this defense's current statistical ranking would be equal only to the 1991 Eagles squad. Quite impressive.
WHat statistical ranking are you looking at?

AngryAsian
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
WHat statistical ranking are you looking at?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ense_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2008-12-04-defense_N.htm)

BigLebowski
12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Foote has replaced Porter as the mouth of our defense. I wonder who the smack talker will be when he is replaced by Timmons.

stlrz d
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Foote has replaced Porter as the mouth of our defense. I wonder who the smack talker will be when he is replaced by Timmons.

I've read that Ike is the trash talker. Apparently he goes non-stop.