PDA

View Full Version : #1 Defense in an Offensive Era

flippy
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
People keep asking how our defense compares to great NFL defenses in the history of the league.

How do we compare to the Steel Curtain?

The great Raiders Ds?

The 85 Bears?

The 91 Eagles?

etc.

Those past defenses didn't have to play in an era where all of the rules were set up for the offenses of the league to be successful.

Look how good passing games have become.

QB and WR stats are incredible now compared to historic standards.

You can't touch a WR.

You can't hit a QB.

You can barely tackle without getting a penalty in the modern game.

Yet somehow we have the #1 overall, rushing, passing, and scoring defense in the league.

Nothing any defense has done 10, 20, 30 years ago can come close to comparing to what our team is doing in this offensive era.

It's way harder to be great now.

Back in the 70s, there were loads of great defenses.

Steelers, Raiders, Dallas, Vikings, etc.

Now there's one.

And in history, there's nobody close.

You guys ready for the SuperBowl?????

Iron Shiek
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
People keep asking how our defense compares to great NFL defenses in the history of the league.

How do we compare to the Steel Curtain?

The great Raiders Ds?

The 85 Bears?

The 91 Eagles?

etc.

Those past defenses didn't have to play in an era where all of the rules were set up for the offenses of the league to be successful.

Look how good passing games have become.

QB and WR stats are incredible now compared to historic standards.

You can't touch a WR.

You can't hit a QB.

You can barely tackle without getting a penalty in the modern game.

Yet somehow we have the #1 overall, rushing, passing, and scoring defense in the league.

Nothing any defense has done 10, 20, 30 years ago can come close to comparing to what our team is doing in this offensive era.

It's way harder to be great now.

Back in the 70s, there were loads of great defenses.

Steelers, Raiders, Dallas, Vikings, etc.

Now there's one.

And in history, there's nobody close.

You guys ready for the SuperBowl?????

What up Flippy! Welcome.

I posted some stats a few days ago, nobody even comes close to our Defensive Yards allowed per game average (238) in the last 20 years. 91 Eagles and 99 Titans were pretty much it. Even the 85 Bears D was allowing yards (although people hardly scored on them). And the facts you state regarding the rules favoring the offense only make these stats even more amazing.

rpmpit
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey flip. Long time no read :D Welcome!!

And yes, I am ready for the Super Bowl!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

flippy
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey flip. Long time no read :D Welcome!!

And yes, I am ready for the Super Bowl!!!!

I really wish we could still use Porter's "Who ride?"

I haven't found a suitable replacement since.....

SidSmythe
12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Harrison doesn't have to speak at all.
He just stares and people are thinking. "They Ride"

flippy
12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Harrison doesn't have to speak at all.
He just stares and people are thinking. "They Ride"

So maybe I should just post a "?" and everyone will get it....

SteelCityGal
12-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I miss Porter's "Who Ride" speech too! "THEY SHOT ME IN DENVER!!" Nobody came close to how he could pump a team up.

Now all we need though to pump up our D and intimidate the opposing offense is a little jumbotron action. If you haven't been to a home game yet this season then you're missing out, they'll show this video during commercial breaks in between plays to get the crowd all fired up and show the offense what kind of beat down to expect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIORXmnVeE

Iron Shiek
12-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I miss Porter's "Who Ride" speech too! "THEY SHOT ME IN DENVER!!" Nobody came close to how he could pump a team up.

Now all we need though to pump up our D and intimidate the opposing offense is a little jumbotron action. If you haven't been to a home game yet this season then you're missing out, they'll show this video during commercial breaks in between plays to get the crowd all fired up and show the offense what kind of beat down to expect!

That is the sh-t! Thanks for posting that SCG. I feel like hitting someone now. Its funny that the hardest hits in that video all seemed to be against Bungles and Ratbirds. Think they get a little pumped up for division foes?

agdci981
12-06-2008, 03:37 PM
What up Flippy! Welcome.

I posted some stats a few days ago, nobody even comes close to our Defensive Yards allowed per game average (238) in the last 20 years. 91 Eagles and 99 Titans were pretty much it. Even the 85 Bears D was allowing yards (although people hardly scored on them). And the facts you state regarding the rules favoring the offense only make these stats even more amazing.
Yards per game actually does not mean as much as you believe. Look at Yards per play. That is the money stat when evaluating defenses and comparing to the great defenses of the past.

'78 Steelers gave up 4.2 yards per play.
2008 Steelers are giving up 3.9 yards per play.
2000 Ravens? 4.3 yards per play.
'85 Bears? 4.4
'91 Eagles was 3.9 and the '99 Titans shouldn't even be thrown into this discussion of great defenses as they allowed 5.3.

SteelCityGal
12-06-2008, 03:47 PM

That is the sh-t! Thanks for posting that SCG. I feel like hitting someone now. Its funny that the hardest hits in that video all seemed to be against Bungles and Ratbirds. Think they get a little pumped up for division foes?

Haha I know the feeling! That video pumps me up something fierce! No doubt in my mind they get more pumped for division foes.

I honestly don't think Romo has ever faced this kind of intimidating defense yet. He may be able to escape on one pass rusher coming at him, but 2-4 is going to get into his head REAL quick! No doubt Troy and others will be there to pick up the pieces as well.

flippy
12-07-2008, 05:48 AM
What up Flippy! Welcome.

Yards per game actually does not mean as much as you believe. Look at Yards per play. That is the money stat when evaluating defenses and comparing to the great defenses of the past.

'78 Steelers gave up 4.2 yards per play.
2008 Steelers are giving up 3.9 yards per play.
2000 Ravens? 4.3 yards per play.
'85 Bears? 4.4
'91 Eagles was 3.9 and the '99 Titans shouldn't even be thrown into this discussion of great defenses as they allowed 5.3.

Is there a ranking of defenses according to YPP over the years?

AngryAsian
12-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Excellent vantage point flippy, and yes this team is special enough to go to the SuperBowl.