PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Trying for Triple Crown

Chachi
12-05-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ense_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2008-12-04-defense_N.htm)

Wins and losses will be the ultimate measure of the 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers, but they have at shot at a rare Triple Crown of defensive statistics.

Going into Sunday's game in Pittsburgh against the Dallas Cowboys, the Steelers lead the NFL in total defense (238 yards allowed per game), rushing defense (71.2) and passing defense (166.8 ).

No NFL team has finished a season No. 1 in all three since the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles.

phillyesq
12-05-2008, 09:42 AM
That would be an amazing accomplishment. I'd really love to see them pull this off! :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
That would be an amazing accomplishment. I'd really love to see them pull this off! :tt1

Those 91 Eagles were 5th in the league in scoring defense, though. We also lead the league in scoring defense. And we lead the league in sacks too. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

pittpete
12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/pittpete/top3d.jpg

TallyStiller
12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd trade the stats in an instant for a ring. Those '91 Eagles didn't get one. Our "#1" defense last year didn't come close. Would be nice to get the numbers, but hope they come with W's.

Last year's D was prone to give up the big drive at an inopportune time... couldn't hold onto a late lead. This year's D has been better - I knew it was a different year when we scored the go ahead TD in Jax and then snuffed them 4 and out on their next possession, but there have still been chinks - the Giants busted the big 4th down play to keep a drive alive to beat us. The Colts scored on us twice with our backs to the wall because of turnovers. The Chargers drove the field on us in the 4th to take a lead, leaving the O to bail us out. The h**l with stats. I want a D that finishes. Ferocity from 15:00 1st to 0:00 4th. In short, I want the Curtain back. I think we're closer than at any time since Greene, Lambert, et al retired, but we're not there yet.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd trade the stats in an instant for a ring. Those '91 Eagles didn't get one. Our "#1" defense last year didn't come close. Would be nice to get the numbers, but hope they come with W's.

Last year's D was prone to give up the big drive at an inopportune time... couldn't hold onto a late lead. This year's D has been better - I knew it was a different year when we scored the go ahead TD in Jax and then snuffed them 4 and out on their next possession, but there have still been chinks - the Giants busted the big 4th down play to keep a drive alive to beat us. The Colts scored on us twice with our backs to the wall because of turnovers. The Chargers drove the field on us in the 4th to take a lead, leaving the O to bail us out. The h**l with stats. I want a D that finishes. Ferocity from 15:00 1st to 0:00 4th. In short, I want the Curtain back. I think we're closer than at any time since Greene, Lambert, et al retired, but we're not there yet.

Those 91 Eagles didn't even make the playoffs that year!?!?

I like how our defense seems to have been improving as games have gone on. It seems like they may allow points on a team's first or second drive of the game, but then the clamps come down. Coming out after halftime, with whatever adjustments LeBeau makes, they seem to be even more of an unstoppable force in the 2nd half of games. In the first half, we just stop them, but in the 2nd half we seem to take the ball away. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

TallyStiller
12-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Watched SB XIII on NFLN... was reminded again of how tough our D was. 3 turnovers in the first 20 minutes of the ballgame, but we still win it. '75 playoffs - 13 turnovers in two playoff games, 20 points allowed. No such thing as a momentum change when you play defense like that. Back against the wall, put in a bad spot by the offense, with all the excuses in the world - and still delivered. Like I say, we're light years ahead of last year's 4th quarter foibles that cost us AT LEAST 5 victories, but we're not there yet. I want to see us get there.

Part of it is going to be more Timmons and less Foote in the ball game. Timmons is just a flat out playmaker. He has a nose for the ball - you don't teach it, you just have it, and he does. Him plus Troy plus Harrison plus Woodley out there means that somebody's bound to make a play... now if we could only get Ike to catch the freaking ball.