PDA

View Full Version : the topic that shut the trib down

Steelhere10
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
why is that all african american are in trouble with the law? posted by ILOVMUFF. it was very contraversial. that's the only reason i can think of. so MODS here please stop all racial subjects before it gets out of hand . THANKS IN ADVANCE :Beer :Beer

Ozey74
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Nice Avatar! :Boobs

Steelhere10
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Nice Avatar! :Boobs NOTHING better than boobs, alchohol and Steelers football.

Ozey74
12-04-2008, 05:35 PM

We may be clones!

:Beer

Discipline of Steel
12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Let be careful with the gender references as well guys, I havent seen Peeping Steel Chick in here in a while, she may have been offended! :mrgreen:

Steeler Mafia
12-04-2008, 05:42 PM

My Brotha from anotha motha! :Boobs :Cheers :tt1

steelblood
12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
If that is true, it is completely pathetic. Controversial topics should be discussed on message boards as long as all participants attempt to be respectful. Discussing controversial topics is sort of what message boards are all about.

Mel Blount's G
12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Why not delete the topic instead of the whole damn discussion board? Seems like an extreme knee jerk reaction. Oh well

NC Steeler Fan
12-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Naawww, hell...

Nothing's better that a bunch of spandex-wrapped tight ends
with rippling muscles thundering down a grassy field
in slow motion.... 8)

Kinda makes ya hate we ain't got cheerleaders, eh?

Poor guys... :wink:

SteelerOfDeVille
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
why is that all african american are in trouble with the law? posted by ILOVMUFF. it was very contraversial. that's the only reason i can think of. so MODS here please stop all racial subjects before it gets out of hand . THANKS IN ADVANCE :Beer :Beer
i hear ya... but, i doubt it... there have been similar threads before...

Jooser
12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't find this board racist at all. Nothing like it was there.....

Steelhere10
12-04-2008, 08:09 PM
i hear ya... but, i doubt it... there have been similar threads before... a lot of people was critical about the Mods not shutting down the post, and i was one of them.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
i hear ya... but, i doubt it... there have been similar threads before... a lot of people was critical about the Mods not shutting down the post, and i was one of them.
they had several threads in the past that led to racial discussions... Donovan v Rush (on a black QB) was HUGE... i had a couple of posters that threw out slurs and wise cracks "coupe DeVille, gold teeth and chicken" or something like that...

eniparadoxgma
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
they had several threads in the past that led to racial discussions... Donovan v Rush (on a black QB) was HUGE... i had a couple of posters that threw out slurs and wise cracks "coupe DeVille, gold teeth and chicken" or something like that...

I remember much worse threads actually. The guy that started that last one actually framed the post in a peaceful manner (regardless of his actual intent).

There were some just straight up racists on that board.

Remember when the Tomlin hiring was initially announced? It was like a KKK rally in there for a couple of days.

SteelTorch
12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
That shows a big reason why it went down: the moderation there was TERRIBLE. They were incompetent to the core and allowed the site to degenerate to new lows every week. It finally got so bad, they didn't know what to do.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-04-2008, 08:22 PM

I remember much worse threads actually. The guy that started that last one actually framed the post in a peaceful manner (regardless of his actual intent).

There were some just straight up racists on that board.

Remember when the Tomlin hiring was initially announced? It was like a KKK rally in there for a couple of days.
In fact, that's how a lot of people landed over here.

proudpittsburgher
12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
whatever the reason, expect a mass influx over here. I imagine that people would tend to go to the more established boards. I have tho say, I still posted over there because there was a lot of action on that board. True enough, most of it was idiotic babel, but there was a lot of stuff being posted. I really hope things pick up over here a bit more. We really shouldn't have any dead times during the season.

Chachi
12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Nah, I can't imagine that whoever made the decision said, in regards to that thread, "OK, THAT"S IT!"

I just don't see it.

buckeyehoppy
12-05-2008, 02:29 AM
That shows a big reason why it went down: the moderation there was TERRIBLE. They were incompetent to the core and allowed the site to degenerate to new lows every week. It finally got so bad, they didn't know what to do.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just one thing. It usually never is, Torch. And the moderation, I suspect, reflected the commitment that the Trib itself had to the forum. Read: they didn't give a f-ck.

And I have posted this in another thread today: many times, large media organizations (like the Trib) look at the bottom line, look at the content of what they are doing, then start stopping some of the things they are doing. I'm sure an influential power-that-is at the Trib took a look at SteelersLive and said "what the f-ck is this and why the f-ck are we sponsoring this $hit?"

At that point, the plug got pulled.

I'm not singling you out, Torch, but I do have a question for the group. If you were a person of influence at the Trib, wouldn't you (or anybody else on this board) have done the same thing the Trib just did with SteelersLive?

Djfan
12-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Buck,

If your premise about the financial focus is true, I bet you're right. I just don't get the lack of notice approach. Maybe a two day warning? I two hour warning? I mean I was reading a thread on black athletes and hit the link to go to the Steelers talk board and that page came up. I jumped here and posted my thread about it.

No professionalism could justify that. They just did it wrong.

Shawn
12-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I have pulled all racial threads before they get going. We had an incident a little awhile back where someone was throwing around racial slurs. He was warned and the thread pulled.

It didn't shut down the Trib. I would guess that this a combined effect of constant whining...tattling on members...threats of suing the Trib, etc and so on that made the Trib say hey you know what? If they are so unhappy...this is more trouble than it's worth...lets dump it.

That would be my honest guess. They just got tired of dealing with it. Even with normal humans like we have here...the back scene stuff can become cumbersome. Lots of egos, hurt feelings, offenses, perceptions, demands etc.

Chachi
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
This is my bet as to why the Trib board is gone......

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003918781 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003918781)

CHICAGO Newspaper and newspaper groups are likely to default on their debt and go out of business next year -- leaving "several cities" with no daily newspaper at all, Fitch Ratings says in a report on media released Wednesday.

The Tribune Co. in the article is different than the Pitt-Trib Co., but, it bears a not very good omen for smaller market papers.

Everyone's cutting costs these days. I am sure they are no different.

rpmpit
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
i hear ya... but, i doubt it... there have been similar threads before...

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar, DeVille. I remember some pretty bad threads on that board. Can't imagine this one took the thing down.

proudpittsburgher
12-05-2008, 09:21 AM

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003918781 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003918781)

CHICAGO Newspaper and newspaper groups are likely to default on their debt and go out of business next year -- leaving "several cities" with no daily newspaper at all, Fitch Ratings says in a report on media released Wednesday.

The Tribune Co. in the article is different than the Pitt-Trib Co., but, it bears a not very good omen for smaller market papers.

I have worked in newspapers for the past 11 years, and I assure you that most of us have a very dim view of our future. Most people, and rightfully so, have gone online for most of their news, and believe it or not, it's the small dailies that will survive. You can get news about the Pittsburgh Steelers in any number of places, but if you want good high school coverage, or small-town team coverage, your options are limited. I would bet my career that it was economics that led to the triblive message boards being shut down, and not a racial thread. Some of you guys are giving the triblive's resident morons WAAAAYYYYYY too much credit.

stlrz d
12-05-2008, 09:27 AM

I have worked in newspapers for the past 11 years, and I assure you that most of us have a very dim view of our future. Most people, and rightfully so, have gone online for most of their news, and believe it or not, it's the small dailies that will survive. You can get news about the Pittsburgh Steelers in any number of places, but if you want good high school coverage, or small-town team coverage, your options are limited. I would bet my career that it was economics that led to the triblive message boards being shut down, and not a racial thread. Some of you guys are giving the triblive's resident morons WAAAAYYYYYY too much credit.

Times are tough. I inherited a sales territory that was failing miserably. Too many large customers no longer using our services. The "performance improvement plan" I received yesterday is simply unrealistic.

I expect to be let go before 1/1.

proudpittsburgher
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Times are tough. I inherited a sales territory that was failing miserably. Too many large customers no longer using our services. The "performance improvement plan" I received yesterday is simply unrealistic.

I'm sorry to hear that D. That uncertainty certainly doesn't allow anyone to enjoy their Christmas.

Ghost
12-05-2008, 10:18 AM
It had to be economics. The economy lost 533,000 jobs just in November - largest loss since 1974. 1.9 million lost for the year so far and will be over 2M by the end of December.

About 8 years ago I was laid off from a company when we came in and they just cut 20% of the entire force with no warning. Could be what happened with the Trib - they just cut a bunch of people who were supporting the web and boards and said shut it down. A warning would be nice but it was free and they really didn't "owe" us anything. Weird though after all those years.

steelz09
12-05-2008, 10:26 AM

Sorry to hear that d. I got let go yesterday :x . Just after closing on a house about 2 weeks prior. Not good.

RussBII
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear that d. I got let go yesterday :x . Just after closing on a house about 2 weeks prior. Not good.

That's the height of suckiness, Jhansle, Good luck with everything.

I just want to reiterate that it was probably due to the failing newspaper business. My sister works for a paper in Colorado and she was told yesterday that they are pretty much closing down sometime early next year. The said the only hope was if the paper gets sold. Who is going to buy a failing newspaper?

As for everyone who has lost their job or expects to lose their job, or worse yet, doesn't expect to lose their job, and still does...

Good luck, and hang in there.

NC Steeler Fan
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Okay, I know this is OT, but...

For those of you who either just lost your job or have one in
jeopardy, take it from a former "angel of death" at Nortel Networks...

Never argue with the closed door as you will miss the one open behind you.

I know that sounds simplistic and trite, but please put all your energies
into exploring ALL the possibilities in your life. Even going back to school
if your layoff situation qualifies you for such funding for tuition, travel, etc.

I watched way too many grown adults lament their situation and focus
solely on "what they've lost" instead of what could be.

It can sometimes end up, believe it or not, being one of the best things
that could happen to you if you let yourself be open to life's possibilities.

My husband and I were both laid off in 2001 and 2002 from telecomm.

He's now got an AS degree in Forestry and works for an international
wood shipment inspector under the U.S. Govt. and I landed in HR in
healthcare which was a stable enough job to let him take the time to
go to school. Definitely not where we thought we'd be, but the
change turned out to be the best thing that could have happened.

Just MHO....Hang in there!!!

proudpittsburgher
12-05-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry, J. :x

Chachi
12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Then again......maybe it was this this thread (http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:BL-BxdVpdroJ:discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D143017+tomiesteel+Stee lers+Directv+Remote+for+sale&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a).

:wink:

ANPSTEEL
12-05-2008, 01:30 PM

That blows... sorry to hear about it- hopefully you'll find your way through.

personally, i'm in the mortgage business- have been for about 10 years. trust me, this sucks something fierce.

ANPSTEEL
12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Then again......maybe it was this this thread (http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:BL-BxdVpdroJ:discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D143017+tomiesteel+Stee lers+Directv+Remote+for+sale&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a).

that is pretty cool- not to illustrate how stoopid i am, .... but...

how did you do that???

NorthCoast
12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
the attention-getters got what they wanted. the solution is simple. you ignore the post and move on (as I did). does it solve the problem? maybe not, but the fastest way to send a post away is to see "Replies 0" and watch it move off the front page of the topics. there simply is no reasoning with irrational people.

Shawn
12-05-2008, 09:30 PM

That does bite. But, I have noticed that things like this tend to happen for a reason. Everytime I seem to find myself in a bad situation...something better comes out of it.

pfelix73
12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I really don't think that that thread is what did it in. They could just easily have removed it....

It was probably doomed a long time ago, because of $$$ somewhere along the line.....

I do think it was a terrible idea to pull it though. Just look at all of those that were on that site.. The advertising potential alone was huge. Now it's gone. A loss for them is a gain for someone else.....

Go Steelers!

AngryAsian
12-05-2008, 09:36 PM
the attention-getters got what they wanted. the solution is simple. you ignore the post and move on (as I did). does it solve the problem? maybe not, but the fastest way to send a post away is to see "Replies 0" and watch it move off the front page of the topics. there simply is no reasoning with irrational people.

Logic in excess, my friend. I hope once the dust settles we can all move away from discussing drama. I love the personalities that are infused with the various posts and I think that's what makes a diverse community interesting... seeing the varied perspective. I think that we take the time or not take the time to read the someone's post without it getting personal. As for some of the perceived personalities, as it was stated before, let's all keep an open mind and hope for the best. And if certain antics start to come to become apparent here, then the board administrator has been clear about the actions that will be taken. Let's not have the inept and apathetic approach of the Trib Mods affect our objectivity.

Steeler Shades
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I got let go yesterday :x . Just after closing on a house about 2 weeks prior. Not good.
I don't know how religious you are, but there is a saying that might bring some comfort:
"GOD never closes a door without opening a window".
8)

stlrz d
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Jhanse...sorry to hear man.

Some folks at work seem to think I may have cause for litigation.

In November I received a "performance improvement plan" and achieved the first part of it in that same month. They re-wrote it earlier this week in order to make it unattainable.

A coworker is married to an attorney and he directed me to a friend of his who knows business law inside and out.

This could get interesting!

Iron Shiek
12-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Jhanse...sorry to hear man.

Some folks at work seem to think I may have cause for litigation.

In November I received a "performance improvement plan" and achieved the first part of it in that same month. They re-wrote it earlier this week in order to make it unattainable.

A coworker is married to an attorney and he directed me to a friend of his who knows business law inside and out.

This could get interesting!

Good luck d

SteelerOfDeVille
12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I really don't think that that thread is what did it in. They could just easily have removed it....

It was probably doomed a long time ago, because of $$$ somewhere along the line.....

I do think it was a terrible idea to pull it though. Just look at all of those that were on that site.. The advertising potential alone was huge. Now it's gone. A loss for them is a gain for someone else.....

Go Steelers!
i think it was the whining and b!tching... i got that impression from somone with inside ties... that it was just more headache than it was worth.

Chachi
12-06-2008, 12:33 AM

that is pretty cool- not to illustrate how stoopid i am, .... but...

how did you do that???

http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html

:D

Rickt011
12-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear you got the pink slip J. Happens to everyone at some point. They say it's gonna get much worse before it gets better. As for lawyers who know business law, hope you're very careful and you make sure this lawyer doesn't infringe on other parts of the law and you end up being sued for his actions. Lawyers are the lowest form of human life. They will back stab and screw you over for a penny more then you're willing to pay. The bad thing is the bad lawyers become judges, and those bad lawyers, now judges are the ones deciding cases like this guy losing his job because they changed the rules half way threw the time table. When someone wants to let someone go, they make up things, happens every day. Makes one wonder why they worked for the clowns in the first place. Money, makes the world go round. :)

sd steel
12-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Sorry to hear you got the pink slip J. Happens to everyone at some point. They say it's gonna get much worse before it gets better. As for lawyers who know business law, hope you're very careful and you make sure this lawyer doesn't infringe on other parts of the law and you end up being sued for his actions. Lawyers are the lowest form of human life. They will back stab and screw you over for a penny more then you're willing to pay. The bad thing is the bad lawyers become judges, and those bad lawyers, now judges are the ones deciding cases like this guy losing his job because they changed the rules half way threw the time table. When someone wants to let someone go, they make up things, happens every day. Makes one wonder why they worked for the clowns in the first place. Money, makes the world go round. :)

Nothing like a positive perspective to make everyone feel better. :roll:

J I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know what you do, but I am sure with the network on this board we could help you in your time of need. I am not a headhunter, but I know a few guys who are, and I am sure many of our Steeler brothers have contacts that could get you a job. I will help you if you need it. Did i say I went to school with and personally know the CFO of the NFL?

I probably can't get you a job with them, but I am sure Steeler Nation can find you something! :tt1 Keep your head up brother!