PDA

View Full Version : Stapleton vs. Simmons - interesting fact!!!

SteelTorch
12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I was interested in finding out what Ben's sack rate was while KenDOLL Simmons was still starting, and how it changed when Stapleton entered in.

Ben's sack rate through the first 4 games (until he got injured) was a whopping 5.53 attempts per sack.

Since Stapleton stepped in, it's been...14.44 attempts per sack! That's almost a triple difference!

If the sack rate had remained the same as when Simmons was in, Ben would now be sacked 62 times! So, if there's any doubt that Simmons going down was a good thing...there's your answer. :D

Ozey74
12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Great find!! :Clap

I wonder how many sacks the OLine would give up if we played Philly now? That game was such a disappointment. I'm thrilled with how the oline has been performing the past 3 games!!!

:tt2

steelblood
12-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, there is certainly a correlation there that is legitimate. But, we've played a lot of games on sloppy and/or slippery fields recently.

Discipline of Steel
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah, there is certainly a correlation there that is legitimate. But, we've played a lot of games on sloppy and/or slippery fields recently.

Yes, and James Harrison doesnt seem to have a problem adding to his sack quota each week.

steelblood
12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Yes, and James Harrison doesnt seem to have a problem adding to his sack quota each week.

Are you saying that poor conditions (espeically at Heinz field) don't have any bearing on pass rushers? Please.

They even have an effect on Harrison. Since Heinz got sloppy Harrison has not had much success at home. In his last four home games, he has exactly 2 sacks. In his last THREE road games, he's had 5 and 1/2.

SidSmythe
12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I was a Simmons supporter til last year. This year just showed how bad he really was, especially b/c he misses a lot of assignment.

SteelTorch
12-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Are you saying that poor conditions (espeically at Heinz field) don't have any bearing on pass rushers? Please.

They even have an effect on Harrison. Since Heinz got sloppy Harrison has not had much success at home. In his last four home games, he has exactly 2 sacks. In his last THREE road games, he's had 5 and 1/2.
I know what you're saying, and I respect your point, but if that were true then that would be the case every year. Last year however, Ben got sacked MORE as the season went on.

In fact, his attempts per sack through the first 8 game was 10.94, and in the last 7 it was 7.04.

stlrz d
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
The offense has also changed to a quicker, shorter passing game. The ball is getting out quicker.

Jooser
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, I find all of that interesting. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2008, 10:24 PM
The offense has also changed to a quicker, shorter passing game. The ball is getting out quicker.

That's the main reason why sacks are down recently. It's not that Stapleton and Starks are all that much better than Simmons and Smith. Someone finally told Arians that constant 7 step drops will get the $100 million QB killed.

stlrz d
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM

That's the main reason why sacks are down recently. It's not that Stapleton and Starks are all that much better than Simmons and Smith. Someone finally told Arians that constant 7 step drops will get the $100 million QB killed.

I did notice the O line seemed to improve when Stapleton took over, but still I'm sure the change in offense is the biggest difference.

buckeyehoppy
12-04-2008, 10:28 PM

$$$ post!!! Although I think Stapleton has brought lots of athleticism to the RG slot. he may not be the best player on the line, but I don't see his peer as far as athleticism.

Chadman
12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Don't discount the fact that Coach Z wants the O-Line to ZONE BLOCK, and Kendall was never asked to do that under Cowher. Stapleton come from a zone blocking program. Might just be a better fit.

Anyone able to find out the same stats for Starks/Smith?

phillyesq
12-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I was interested in finding out what Ben's sack rate was while KenDOLL Simmons was still starting, and how it changed when Stapleton entered in.

Ben's sack rate through the first 4 games (until he got injured) was a whopping 5.53 attempts per sack.

Since Stapleton stepped in, it's been...14.44 attempts per sack! That's almost a triple difference!

If the sack rate had remained the same as when Simmons was in, Ben would now be sacked 62 times! So, if there's any doubt that Simmons going down was a good thing...there's your answer. :D

Very interesting stat. I won't jump to causation from the correlation -- completely. I think that the shorter passes have helped a lot. But I also think that Stapelton has been a great addition over Simmons. It seems that at least once a game Simmons would get tossed aside like a rag doll by a defensive tackle en route to Ben. I don't see that happen with Stapelton.

I think that Stapelton has demonstrated that he has a future on the line. Not sure if it will be at guard, or if he'll move back to center, but he certainly has a future.